Connect with us

Business

Empty Grocery Store Shelves Spotted Across Toronto After Long Lines Thursday (PHOTOS) – Narcity

Published

on


It seems that Torontonians are still stocking up on food and toilet paper. Grocery stores in Toronto got hit hard after long lines of customers were spotted stocking up on essentials Thursday night. Since the crazy lines, customers are now sharing their pictures and videos of empty grocery store shelves across the city. 

On Thursday night, long lines were spotted at No Frills’ Lansdowne and Dundas location.

Photos of shoppers waiting in lines across the building showed just how willing they were to get their hands on some products. 

However, since Thursday’s mayhem, it seems that many grocery stores in the city were left with bare shelves, leaving shoppers with not much left to purchase. 

Photos show shelves, which are usually reasonably stocked with food and products, completely wiped clean. 

One Twitter user even claims that “it is 8:30 in the morning in Toronto and I’ve been to five grocery stores and I can’t find one pack of toilet paper not one the stores are so packed lines are all the way to the other end of the store it’s pandemonium.”

While another user states, “Carnage in the grocery stores. Nothing edible left!”

Tammie Sutherland from CityNews reports that the Metro at Front and Church Street had been left bare, with even Kraft Dinner almost running out of stock. 

However, it was also reported that shelves are also being re-stocked. It is still unclear when shelves will be fully replenished. 

Yet, this isn’t the first time that Ontario has seen some shortages this year. 

Toilet paper shortages throughout the province have been an issue over the past month. 

It was reported last week that multiple Costco shelves have been left empty as Canadians tried to stock up.

Toronto stores were also left bare last month as people stocked up on hand sanitizer

Multiple Shoppers Drug Mart locations confirmed to Narcity at the time that they had run out of hand sanitizer, leaving Torontonians on the hunt for the product. 

NOW WATCH Toilet Paper Apocalypse Is Happening At Costco As Canadians Stock Up For COVID-19 (VIDEO)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney talking to Washington about tariffs on Saudi and Russian oil – Financial Post

Published

on


LONDON — U.S. and Canadian officials are discussing the imposition of tariffs on Saudi Arabian and Russian oil imports if the two members of the OPEC+ group do not quickly reach a deal to end their price war.

Jason Kenney, the premier of Alberta, told the Financial Times he had held discussions with Washington about tariffs, as a global deal to reduce production appeared to be hanging by a thread.

U.S. President Donald Trump has called on rival oil producers to cut production by as much as 15 million barrels a day, but said on Friday that tariffs “are one tool in the tool box” if Saudi Arabia and Russia do not quickly reduce supplies, threatening a deepening schism with Washington’s key Middle East ally.

Kenney said “prospective import tariffs on oil coming into North America” were under discussion with Washington, even as he signalled Alberta would be open to participating with OPEC in cuts to oil supplies.


Alberta Energy Minister Sonya Savage speaks to several thousand pro pipeline protesters rallying at Stampede Park during the Global Petroleum Show in Calgary in June, 2019.

Gavin Young/Postmedia

Sonya Savage, Alberta’s energy minister, would dial into the online OPEC+ meeting this coming week, he said.

“OPEC+ started this fire and they have to put it out. We’re not going to surrender our industry and we’re prepared to go the distance here,” he said.

Canadian provinces have autonomy over oil production policy, but joint tariffs with the U.S. would require federal approval from Ottawa.

U.S. officials confirmed the Department of Energy was studying whether tariffs would be a viable way to force Saudi Arabia and Russia’s hand, though the discussions are preliminary and among several other options.

The White House declined to comment.

“The U.S. seems more likely to show up to next week’s OPEC+ virtual meeting with credible threats of reprisals than commitments to reduce production,” said Clearview Energy Partners, a Washington consultancy.

Trump has pushed Saudi Arabia and Russia to get a deal to remove as much as 15 per cent of global oil supplies, but the two countries remain at loggerheads, with an online OPEC+ meeting now pushed back from Monday until later in the week after the two sides traded barbs.


Russia’s President Vladimir Putin is now at odds with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Juan Mabromata /AFP/Getty Images

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that a cut to global oil production of 10 million barrels a day was possible, but only if all major producers including the U.S. joined in. But he jeopardized the potential for a deal when he accused Saudi Arabia of launching the price war to hurt U.S. shale producers, in an apparent attempt to drive a wedge between Riyadh and Washington.

Saudi Arabia’s energy minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman and foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan both attacked the statement on Saturday, with the latter saying they were “fully devoid of truth” and accusing Russia of “falsifying facts”.

The prospect of a deal drove oil prices up around 40 percent over Thursday and Friday, recovering from an 18-year low below $25 a barrel to above $30 a barrel. They remain down by more than half since the beginning of the year.

The price slump has threatened the future of U.S. and Canadian oil producers who generally require higher prices to turn a profit.

Global demand for oil has plunged almost 40 percent, Trump noted on Friday, the biggest drop in history as measures to slow the spread of coronavirus hit economic activity.

Independent U.S. oil producers have pushed the White House to force Saudi Arabia and Russia to end the price war that has deepened the slump, including proposing tighter sanctions on Russian energy, bans on foreign oil imports, and targeting the Saudi-owned Motiva refinery in Texas.

Trump on Friday alluded to a suspension of U.S. military aid to Saudi Arabia, when he said “we provide military assistance to countries for pretty much free . . . and they don’t even like us”.

Additional reporting by Demetri Sevastopulo in Washington

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

No winning ticket for Friday night's $70 million Lotto Max jackpot – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
No winning ticket was sold for the $70 million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw.

However, five of the 19 Maxmillions prizes of $1 million each were won by ticket holders in the Prairies and in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The jackpot for the next Lotto Max draw on Apr. 7 will again be $70 million and there will be 20 Maxmillions prizes up for grabs.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Demand Destruction Will Decimate Oil Prices – OilPrice.com

Published

on



Demand Destruction Will Decimate Oil Prices | OilPrice.com

Trending Discussions

    Premium Content

    I have been warning since January that the long-term ramifications of the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on the oil industry could be significant and long-lasting. In March we saw significant impacts on price and demand. What we don’t know is how long this crisis will last.

    But, I believe we are in the midst of an existential crisis for the oil industry as we know it. This will not be the same industry after this dark period ends. Only the strongest companies are going to survive the financial pain that lies ahead.

    There are many variables in this equation, and they are constantly changing. Demand is plummeting, production and prices are following, and Saudi Arabia and Russia are jockeying to hold onto market share.

    Vitol, the world’s largest independent oil trading company, has said that oil demand could slump as much as 20 million barrels per day (BPD) over the next few weeks, which would lead to an annual decline of 5 million BPD. Vitol CEO Russell Hardy said “It’s pretty huge in terms of anything we’ve had to deal with before.”

    Goldman Sachs said it expected March demand to be down 10.5 million BPD, followed by a further decline to 18.7 million BPD in April. The company noted that this deep plunge would be beyond the ability of OPEC to counteract: “A demand shock of this magnitude will overwhelm any supply response including any potential core-Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries output freeze or cut.”

    Related: U.S. Shale Ready To Fire Back In The Oil Price War

    Meanwhile, benchmark prices have temporarily settled in the lower $20s, but local prices have dropped even further. In a story that warned of the largest idling of oil wells in the past 35 years, Oilprice.com reported that last week some crude prices were trading in the $1 per barrel range

    The oil and gas sector has been crushed, and there will be a great deal of collateral damage. It’s hard to see when the sector will emerge from this crisis, or what the supply situation will be when we do. But it’s inevitable that there will be fewer players in the sector when this crisis ends.

    By Robert Rapier

    More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:

    Download The Free Oilprice App Today


    Back to homepage

    <!–

    Trending Discussions

      –>

      Related posts

      Let’s block ads! (Why?)



      Source link

      Continue Reading

      Trending