Apple and Epic Games are still in the middle of an ongoing legal battle as the company sues Apple for unfair market practices in the App Store. Following the removal of the game from both Apple and Android’s respective app stores, Epic games slapped both tech giants with lawsuits. Then on Tuesday, Epic Games won a small victory as the court would not allow Apple to sever ties with its APIs and Unreal Engine – a wide used gaming platform owned by Epic Games.
The caveat was that Apple does not have to put Fortnite back on the App Store, but this also means that Fortnite players on Apple devices won’t be able to play the newest season of the game (featuring Marvel themes), which launches on Thursday. Epic Games confirmed this in an updated FAQ regarding the Apple VS Epic Games situation, explaining that it doesn’t intend to go back to using Apple’s payment system.
Apple is asking that Epic revert Fortnite to exclusively use Apple payments. Their proposal is an invitation for Epic to collude with Apple to maintain their monopoly over in-app payments on iOS, suppressing free market competition and inflating prices. As a matter of principle, we won’t participate in this scheme.
You as a mobile device owner have the right to install apps from sources of your choosing. Software makers have the right to freely express their ideas and to compete in a fair marketplace. Apple’s policies take these freedoms away.
Even though Apple devices won’t be able to play the new season of the game, players can continue to play on the 13.40 version, but won’t be able to update from there. Apple devices playing the game will only be able to play online against players on other Apple devices, so they will be left out from cross-platform online multiplayer.
Apple is blocking Fortnite updates and new installs on the App Store, and has said they will terminate our ability to develop Fortnite for Apple devices. As a result, Fortnite’s newly released Chapter – Season 4 update (v14.00) will not release on iOS and macOS on August 27. If you still want to play Fortnite on Android, you can access the latest version of Fortnite from the Epic Games App for Android on Fornite.com/Android or the Samsung Galaxy Store.
As of these developments, Epic Games is still offering the Fortnite V-Bucks discount that started the whole saga. iOS and iPadOS players can still download the game if it was downloaded before, but new players still won’t be able to and it doesn’t seem like Epic intends to cave back in to using Apple’s payments platform.
The game also remains gone from the Google Play Store, but even before it was on the Play Store, Android users were always able to sideload it from the company’s website. This is something not possible on iOS as Apple has a strong hold on what apps its users can install on mobile devices.
Cyberpunk 2077 Publisher Orders 6-Day Weeks Ahead of Game Debut – Bloomberg
Polish video game developer CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project.
Red, a subsidiary of Poland’s biggest gaming company CD Projekt SA, has been criticized previously for engaging in “crunch,” an industry term for excessive overtime in game development. The practice often lasts for weeks and can stretch out for months or even years. CD Projekt Red co-chief executive officer Marcin Iwinski last year told gaming website Kotaku that the company would be avoiding mandatory crunch and was “committed” to allowing employees to work without overtime.
But an account from a CD Projekt Red employee recently as well as an email to staff earlier this week indicate that the company hasn’t lived up to its word. The employee, who asked not to be named discussing private information, said some staff had already been putting in nights and weekends for more than a year.
In the email, CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski wrote that he was optimistic about the state of Cyberpunk 2077, which stars Keanu Reeves, and that they had just sent the game to be certified for release on Sony Corp.’s PlayStation and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox. Now, he wrote, it was time to fix the game’s many lingering bugs and glitches.
“Starting today, the entire (development) studio is in overdrive,” Badowski wrote, elaborating that this meant “your typical amount of work and one day of the weekend.” The extra work would be paid, as required by Polish labor laws. Many other video game studios don’t pay for overtime.
“I take it upon myself to receive the full backlash for the decision,” he wrote. “I know this is in direct opposition to what we’ve said about crunch. It’s also in direct opposition to what I personally grew to believe a while back — that crunch should never be the answer. But we’ve extended all other possible means of navigating the situation.”
CD Projekt Red didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
Last year, Iwinski and Badowski told Kotaku that they were looking to make CD Projekt Red a more “humane” place to work.
“We are known for treating gamers with respect,” Iwinski said. “I actually would [like] for us to also be known for treating developers with respect.”
Microsoft: Some ransomware attacks take less than 45 minutes – ZDNet
For many years, the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report has been the gold standard in terms of providing a yearly overview of all the major events and trends in the cyber-security and threat intelligence landscape.
While Microsoft unceremoniously retired the old SIR reports back in 2018, the OS maker appears to have realized its mistake, and has brought it back today, rebranded as the new Microsoft Digital Defense Report.
Just like the previous SIR reports, Microsoft has yet again delivered.
Taking advantage of its vantage points over vast swaths of the desktop, server, enterprise, and cloud ecosystems, Microsoft has summarized the biggest threats companies deal with today in the face of cybercrime and nation-state attackers.
The report is 88 pages long, includes data from July 2019 and June 2020, and some users might not have the time to go through it in its entirety. Below is a summary of the main talking points, Microsoft’s main findings, and general threat landscape trends.
2020 will, without a doubt, be remembered for the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. While some cybercrime groups used COVID-19 themes to lure and infect users, Microsoft says these operations were only a fraction of the general malware ecosystem, and the pandemic appears to have played a minimal role in this year’s malware attacks.
Email phishing in the enterprise sector has also continued to grow and has become a dominant vector. Most phishing lures center around Microsoft and other SaaS providers, and the Top 5 most spoofed brands include Microsoft, UPS, Amazon, Apple, and Zoom.
Microsoft said it blocked over 13 billion malicious and suspicious mails in 2019, and out of these, more than 1 billion contained URLs that have been set up for the explicit purpose of launching a credential phishing attack.
Successful phishing operations are also often used as the first step in Business Email Compromise (BEC) scams. Microsoft said that crooks gain access to an executive’s email inbox, watch email communications, and then spring in to trick the hacked users’ business partners into paying invoices into wrong bank accounts.
Per Microsoft, the most targeted accounts in BEC scams were the ones for C-suites and accounting and payroll employees.
But Microsoft also says that phishing isn’t the only way into these accounts. Hackers are also starting to adopt password reuse and password spray attacks against legacy email protocols such as IMAP and SMTP. These attacks have been particularly popular in recent months as it allows attackers to also bypass multi-factor authentication (MFA) solutions, as logging in via IMAP and SMTP doesn’t support this feature.
Furthermore, Microsoft says it’s also seeing cybercrime groups that are increasingly abusing public cloud-based services to store artifacts used in their attacks, rather than using their own servers. Further, groups are also changing domains and servers much faster nowadays, primarily to avoid detection and remain under the radar.
But, by far, the most disruptive cybercrime threat of the past year have been ransomware gangs. Microsoft said that ransomware infections had been the most common reason behind the company’s incident response (IR) engagements from October 2019 through July 2020.
And of all ransomware gangs, it’s the groups known as “big game hunters” and “human-operated ransomware” that have given Microsoft the most headaches. These are groups that specifically target select networks belonging to large corporations or government organizations, knowing they stand to receive larger ransom payments.
Most of these groups operate either by using malware infrastructure provided by other cybercrime groups or by mass-scanning the internet for newly-disclosed vulnerabilities.
In most cases, groups gain access to a system and maintain a foothold until they’re ready to launch their attacks. However, Microsoft says that this year, these ransomware gangs have been particularly active and have reduced the time they need to launch attacks, and especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Attackers have exploited the COVID-19 crisis to reduce their dwell time within a victim’s system – compromising, exfiltrating data and, in some cases, ransoming quickly – apparently believing that there would be an increased willingness to pay as a result of the outbreak,” Microsoft said today.
“In some instances, cybercriminals went from initial entry to ransoming the entire network in under 45 minutes.”
Another major trend that Microsoft chose to highlight was the increased targeting of supply chains in recent months, rather than attacking a target directly.
This allows a threat actor to hack one target and then use the target’s own infrastructure to attack all of its customers, either one by one, or all at the same time.
“Through its engagements in assisting customers who have been victims of cybersecurity intrusions, the Microsoft Detection and Response Team has observed an uptick in supply chain attacks between July 2019 and March 2020,” Microsoft said.
But Microsoft noted that while “there was an increase, supply chain attacks represented a relatively small percentage of DART engagements overall.”
Nonetheless, this doesn’t diminish the importance of protecting the supply chain against possible compromises. Here, Microsoft highlights dangers coming from the networks of Managed Service Providers (MSPs, third-parties that provide a very specific service and are allowed to access a company’s network), IoT devices (often installed and forgotten on a company’s network), and open-source software libraries (which make up most of a company’s software these days).
As for nation-state hacking groups (also known as APTs, or advanced persistent threats), Microsoft said this year has been quite busy.
Microsoft said that between July 2019 and June 2020, it sent out more than 13,000 nation-state notification (NSN) to its customers via email.
According to Microsoft, most were sent for hacking operations linked back to Russian state-sponsored groups, while most of the victims were located in the US.
These email notifications were sent for email phishing attacks against its customers. Microsoft said it tried to counter some of these attacks by using court orders to seize domains used in these attacks.
Another interesting finding of the Microsoft Digital Defense Report is that the primary targets of APT attacks have been non-governmental organizations and the services industry.
This particular finding goes against the grain. Most industry experts often warn that APT groups prefer to target critical infrastructure, but Microsoft says its findings tell a different story.
“Nation state activity is more likely to target organizations outside of the critical infrastructure sectors by a significant measure, with over 90% of notifications served outside of these sectors,” Microsoft said.
As for the techniques that have been preferred this past year (July 2019 to June 2020) by nation-state groups, Microsoft noted several interesting developments, with the rise of:
- Password spraying (Phosphorus, Holmium, and Strontium)
- Use of penetration testing tools (Holmium)
- The use of ever-more-complex spear-phishing (Thallium)
- The use of web shells to backdoor servers (Zinc, Krypton, Gallium)
- The use of exploits targeting VPN servers (Manganese)
All in all, Microsoft concludes that criminal groups have evolved their techniques over the past year to increase the success rates of their campaigns, as defenses have gotten better at blocking their past attacks.
Just like in years prior, the entire cybersecurity landscape appears to be sitting on a giant merry-go-round, and constant learning and monitoring is required from defenders to keep up with the ever-evolving attackers, may them be financially-motivated or nation-sponsored groups.
OnePlus CEO confirms we're not getting an 8T Pro this year – MobileSyrup
As we inch closer to OnePlus’ October 14th event, the company’s CEO has clarified that fans should only get excited about the OnePlus 8T because there won’t be an 8T Pro.
This isn’t a huge surprise since there have been no leaks regarding a higher-level phone.
That said, if you’ve seen the battery and screen specs that the company has shared plus some of the leaks, you’ll know that the 8T is stacking up to be a flagship-level device in its own right.
Last year in Canada, OnePlus only released the 7T in Canada with no 7T pro, so the fact that there’s no pro version this year shouldn’t rattle Canadians too much.
The 8 Pro is still a good option as well since it also has a 120Hz display and a fairly modern chipset. If the 8T leaks are correct, the 8 Pro will be a bit of a larger phone, so people who like giant phones will likely be happier with the 8 Pro.
Beyond the lack of an 8T Pro, OnePlus also mentioned recently that the 8T is going to come with OxygenOS 11 right out of the box. In the OxygenOS 11 beta for the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro, there are still a lot of bugs, so hopefully, OnePlus can address these before the 8T ships.
Cyberpunk 2077 Publisher Orders 6-Day Weeks Ahead of Game Debut – Bloomberg
105 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death as health officials urge B.C. to remember safety protocols – Golden Star
NASA's new $30M space toilet is smaller, better smelling and more female-friendly – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- News19 hours ago
Canadian travel restrictions extended until Halloween – Canada Immigration News
- Economy20 hours ago
Healthy US economy failed to narrow racial gaps in 2019
- Tech19 hours ago
Microsoft says recent software change caused major outage – Global News
- Health19 hours ago
Interactive map shows neighbourhoods with higher and lower rates of COVID-19 – Ottawa Citizen
- News24 hours ago
Ontario sees single-day record of 700 new COVID-19 cases as calls grow to return to Stage 2 – CBC.ca
- Investment23 hours ago
Railpen's new investment chief on transformation, governance and culture – Top1000funds.com
- Art18 hours ago
Body art gone too far? – CityNews Toronto
- Tech22 hours ago
Microsoft Says Office 365, Teams, Other Online Services Down – BNN