Doctors at a Paris hospital have said they found evidence that one patient admitted in December was infected with coronavirus. This stands to prove that the deadly virus was already circulating in Europe at that time — well before the first known cases were diagnosed in France or hotspot Italy.
A team at Groupe Hospitalier Paris Seine in Saint-Denis has written its finding in a study published on Sunday in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents.
The first official reports of COVID-19 in France were reported on January 24, in two people who had a history of travel to Wuhan, China.
The researchers then decided to check the records of earlier patients, in case the virus had been spreading undetected.
The French team looked at people admitted to the hospital with flu-like illness between December 2 and January 16 who were not ultimately diagnosed with influenza. They tested frozen samples from those patients for coronavirus.
The said patient was a 42-year-old man born in Algeria, who lived in France for many years, and worked as a fishmonger. The man had not been to China, and one of his children had also been sick.
His last trip was in Algeria during August 2019.
Europe did not start reporting cases of coronavirus until January. In Italy, the European country hit hardest by the virus, the first two cases were reported on January 31, in two Chinese tourists in Rome. The first known community transmission was recorded at the end of February in Codogno, northern Italy.
Researchers in the US have also started finding evidence that the virus was infecting and killing people earlier than the country’s first reported cases.
Also read | US coronavirus timeline shifts three weeks earlier in wake of new disclosure
Nova Scotia reports 1 more death at Northwood, 1 new case of coronavrius – Globalnews.ca
“Our thoughts are with those who are mourning at this time. I recognize how difficult it can be for family and friends to grieve with restrictions in place,” said Premier Stephen McNeil, in a press release.“As these restrictions are loosened over the next week, I ask all Nova Scotians to continue to respect the rules and follow public health advice.”As of Saturday, Nova Scotia confirmed one new case of novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases to 1,056.“This summer will look very different. I know there are things people want to do and can’t,” said Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health.READ MORE: Nova Scotia to allow 10-person gatherings as no new coronavirus cases announced Friday“I continue to ask for people’s patience, understanding and cooperation. No matter what you do, please respect the rules – practise good hygiene, stay home if you’re feeling unwell, limit large groups and wear non-medical masks when and where appropriate.”The province said the QEII Health Sciences Centre’s microbiology lab completed 694 Nova Scotia tests on May 29 and is operating 24-hours.To date, Nova Scotia has 41,391 negative test results, 1,056 positive COVID-19 test results and 60 deaths.
View link »
Newswatch COVID-19 Digest: Saturday May 30, 2020 – Cornwall Newswatch – Cornwall Newswatch
Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Saturday, May 30, 2020:
- There have been 27,210 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 344 cases (or 1.3 per cent) from the previous day. There are 20,983 people recovered from the virus while 2,230 people have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 680,687 of which 13,351 have pending results.
- Canada’s coronavirus case total is 89,418. The country has 6,979 deaths from the virus – 164 in British Columbia, 143 in Alberta, 10 in Saskatchewan, seven in Manitoba, 2,230 in Ontario, 4,363 in Quebec, three in Newfoundland & Labrador and 59 in Nova Scotia.
- A person who has been weeks in an Ottawa intensive care unit has been released and is on the regular floor of the hospital. There are still a total of three in hospital with one other person still in ICU. The number of confirmed cases stayed steady Friday at 147 with 11 deaths and 92 recoveries. Local testing jumped by 273 on Friday to 8,378 tests. The breakdown of cases are 15 in Cornwall (15 resolved), 25 in SD&G (20 resolved) and 107 in Prescott-Russell (57 resolved). There are two active nursing home outbreaks.
- The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit added another case Friday to a total of 342 confirmed cases. There was also another death bringing that total to 50. Ninety per cent of COVID-19 cases (264) have recovered.
- Officials with Public Health Ontario outlined their next phase of novel coronavirus testing across Ontario. Testing will concentrate on first responders, more essential workers and those in prison settings. It will also concentrate on hot spot areas, where Ontario Public Health would send a strike team into a business, for example, where there’s increased COVID-19 activity.
- Premier Doug Ford says the government is looking at a regional reopening of the economy. “It’s an option that we’re looking at. Everything is on the table.” Ford says they are getting a better picture of the spread of the disease through more testing and mobile testing units.
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that the North Country and Central New York could move to the next phase – phase two – of reopening. That includes St. Lawrence County (home to Massena, Potsdam and Canton) and Franklin County (home to Malone). New York’s phase two includes reopening office-based business, in-store retail shopping, and limited barber and hairdressing services. St. Lawrence County has had 201 positive cases to date, which 183 recovered and two deaths.
- The Children’s Treatment Center will resume in-person counselling with children and parents on Monday, June 8. The center says it will “implement all necessary measures” to provide safety for children, parents and staff members. Executive Director Robert Smith reduced his counselling hours and the center has hired another counsellor, Ashley Dicintio, who previously had a private practice in Cornwall and works at the Ottawa Carleton Detention Center as a women’s social worker.
- A ban on cruise ships entering Canadian waters has been extended until October. The ban was to expire on July 1.
- The federal government has rolled out an additional $650 million for First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities across Canada. It will go to public health, income assistance and shelters for women and children. That’s in addition to the $305 million already promised.
- A health care worker in New Brunswick has been suspended after travelling to Quebec and not self-quarantining after returning, choosing instead to go to work. There’s now an outbreak in the Campbellton area with at least six new cases, including two in ICU. The RCMP is investigating.
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email email@example.com. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.
Province surpasses testing targets for a second straight day, adds over 300 cases to Ontario-wide caseload – Barrie 360 – Barrie 360
Public Health Ontario says the province has exceeded its daily testing target twice in a row. Over 18,500 tests were run to get yesterday’s batch of results. Yesterday, over 17,500 tests were detailed. The province is shooting for 16,000 daily and hopes to reach 25,000 in time.
There were 13,351 tests waiting to be run, in an apparent continued surge in people seeking out testing.
Friday’s update revealed another 344 cases of COVID-19 were added to the provincial caseload that now exceeds 27,000. Of those, over 77 percent are recoveries, at 20,983 people. That’s an increase of 310 recoveries since yesterday’s update.
Another 41 lives lost, 2,230 to date.
Facts and Figures: Regular-season recap – NHL.com
Sony CEO Opens Up on PlayStation 5 Pricing Strategy – Essentially Sports
2 astronauts head for launch pad for historic SpaceX flight – Yahoo Canada Finance
- Tech19 hours ago
Ford Announces Return of the Mustang Mach 1 for 2021 If the Mach 1 proves to be a step up from the Bullitt it’s more or less replacing, we can expect some fireworks – Auto123.com
- News21 hours ago
Ford considering regional reopening of Ontario
- Media20 hours ago
Denmark and Norway create travel bubble
- Sports13 hours ago
Roger Federer tops Forbes' highest-earning athlete list at $106.3M US – CBC.ca
- Science16 hours ago
What Time Is the SpaceX Launch? How to Watch – The New York Times
- Politics22 hours ago
Age Versus Politics in Determining Virus-Related Attitudes
- Science19 hours ago
SpaceX’s Starship rocket prototype explodes on Texas test pad
- Politics19 hours ago
Julie Van Dusen reflects on a career covering politics