Connect with us

Health

Fraser Health opening new COVID 19 testing centre in Surrey

Published

 on

 

Another COVID-19 testing centre is being opened in the Fraser Health region, the epicentre for British Columbia’s rising case counts.

Fraser Health president Dr. Victoria Lee says most of their latest infections are linked to other known cases and clusters, indicating public health officials are identifying and following up with people to curb the spread of the illness.

The newest centre will be open by Nov. 12 in North Surrey and will process between 500 and 800 tests each day with people dropping in or booking an appointment.

Of the 1,120 people who tested positive over three days ending Monday in B.C., 830 of them were in the Fraser Health region.

There are 2,315 active infections in Fraser Health and Lee says public health workers have followed up with more than 29,000 of their contacts.

Lee reiterated public health messaging that even small gatherings are risky and the so-called “safe six” contacts should also be the same six people.

Dr. Elizabeth Brodkin, chief medical health officer for Fraser Health, added the health authority has ordered and distributed 30 per cent more influenza vaccine this year than it did last year.

“We are actively working with the province to secure more vaccine and that is on its way,” she said.

 

Source:- CBC.ca

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Manitoba reports record spike of more than 540 new COVID-19 cases on Monday – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

 on


WINNIPEG —
Manitoba has once again set a record of COVID-19 cases, with more than 540 people testing positive for COVID-19 as of Monday morning.

Dr. Brent Roussin, the chief provincial public health officer, reported 546 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, though three cases were removed from the total due to an error. This is the highest single-day spike of cases the province has seen yet.

The majority of the cases were reported in the Winnipeg region, which had 368 new cases as of Monday morning. The five-day test positivity rate in Winnipeg is now at 13.8 per cent.

The Southern Health region also reported a significant spike in cases, with 118 more cases.

The other cases include:

  • 21 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 27 cases in the Northern health region; and
  • 12 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region.

The new cases bring Manitoba’s total since March to 14,087 and raises the five-day test positivity rate to 14 per cent.

DEATHS SURGE IN PAST 23 DAYS IN MANITOBA

Along with the cases, Roussin reported seven more people had died of COVID-19.

These people include:

  • A woman in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the Maples Long-Term Care Home outbreak;
  • A woman in her 70s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the Holy Family Personal Care Home outbreak;
  • A man in his 80s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region, linked to the Menno Home outbreak;
  • Two women in their 80s, and a man in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region; and
  • A man in his 70s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region.

Since March, 236 Manitobans have died of COVID-19. Deaths caused by COVID-19 have been surging in recent weeks. Roussin said the past 23 days, 161 people have died due to the virus.

“It might be easy just to think of these as numbers, but we all know these are Manitobans. These are people who were loved, who are missed right now,” Roussin said.

Hospitalizations also saw a jump as 296 people are now in hospital with COVID-19, 52 of whom are in the intensive care unit.

On Monday, 160 more Manitobans had recovered from COVID-19, bringing the total number of recoveries to 5,353. The number of active cases in Manitoba is reported to be 8,498.

TOP DOCTOR SEES SOME RESULTS OF RESTRICTIONS

This Thursday it will be two weeks – one full incubation cycle of the virus – since the entire province was placed under code red restrictions, which included closures of non-essential business and further restrictions on gathering sizes.

Roussin said health officials are starting to see some positive results from these restrictions.

“We have a fewer number of contacts per case right now, which can certainly be an early indicator that our restrictions are having their intended benefit,” he said. “It is expected that that is going to translate into fewer cases in the next week or 10 days.”

Roussin said three weeks ago, there was an average of seven contacts per case, which has gradually dropped to between four and two contacts in some cases.

“Certainly the trend is in the right direction.”

He said the province is still at a critical point, once again urging Manitobans to stay home.

“We have these critical restrictions in place for a reason – we are seeing these numbers that we cannot sustain in our health care system,” he said. “We need to bring these numbers down, and we need to act now to do so.” 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Manitoba reports record-breaking 543 new cases, 7 additional deaths | Watch News Videos Online – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


Manitoba’s chief medical officer of health Dr. Brent Roussin on Monday reported a record-breaking 543 new cases of COVID-19 in the province and seven additional deaths. It is the highest single-day increase the province has seen since the pandemic began, breaking the previous record of 494 cases announced Nov. 15.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

N.B. COVID-19 roundup: 15 new cases reported Monday, and another death – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Public Health is reporting 15 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, and another death.

Eleven of the new cases are in the Saint John region (Zone 2), three are in the Moncton region (Zone 1) and one in the Fredericton region (Zone 3), Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, said at a news conference.

All 15 of the cases have been “identified and are isolating,” Russell said.

Seven people in New Brunswick have now died of the disease since the pandemic started. Russell did not say where the latest death occurred.

She urged residents to “please, wear a mask” and keep their close contacts low.

“We must all remain vigilant, there has never been a time when the risk was zero,” she said.

Enforcement of rules, and frustration with non-compliance

Premier Blaine Higgs said Monday that police and peace offers were enforcing compliance with the single-household bubble, mask-wearing, physical distancing and other rules in the orange zones on the weekend.

Thirty tickets were issued, he said, and at least one business in southeastern New Brunswick has been shut down after not following guidelines “for some time.”

Higgs also singled out for criticism those who are deliberately ignoring the rules.

“It is disappointing to hear that some people have not been giving their real names and contact information” when at businesses, he said.

“You’re not ‘beating the system,’ ” he later added. “You’re jeopardizing the health and welfare of maybe your neighbour, maybe your grandparents, maybe your parents.”

Atlantic bubble bursts

The Atlantic bubble has come to an end for now.

Both Newfoundland and Labrador and P.E.I announced Monday that they were leaving the bubble for at least two weeks as COVID-19 cases rise in parts of the region.

New Brunswick isn’t following suit, although Premier Blaine Higgs is asking people to be cautious about travel outside the province.

Higgs said during Monday’s news conference that he spoke with the P,E.I and Newfoundland and Labrador premiers Sunday night and the decision to leave the bubble was a “shared decision.” He expects it will be “a two-week closure.”

New Brunswick tightened restrictions in Moncton and Saint John last week as cases rose, and the province reported its highest ever single-day case count on Saturday with 23 new cases. As of Sunday, the province had a total of 77 active cases. 

Employee tests positive at Stan Cassidy Centre

Horizon Health Network and New Brunswick Public Health are investigating a potential COVID-19 exposure at Horizon’s Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation in Fredericton.

As this is a high-risk situation, Horizon is declaring an outbreak at the Centre.

As of Monday morning, Horizon is restricting all visitors at the Centre and cancelling scheduled appointments until further notice after an employee tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday.

The employee is self-isolating, Horizon said in a statement.

Patients who were in contact with the employee when the employee may have been infectious had rapid testing for the respiratory virus Sunday.

 Horizon said all affected patients have been isolated. And all staff who were in contact have had COVID-19 testing. 

“As a precautionary measure, all other employees at the Centre will be tested for COVID-19.”

Effective Monday morning, all staff and physicians at the Centre will participate in active screening for COVID-19 symptoms.

Horizon Health said affected patients and families have also been notified.

Employee and 3 residents test positive for COVID-19 at Shannex

A Shannex official says the Parkland Saint John facility has activated its pandemic plan after one employee and three residents tested positive for COVID-19.

Clinical practice director and infection control specialist Lisa Snodgrass says all 371 residents and employees were tested.

And she’s been told those four were the only positive cases.

“We’re not sure how it got in,” she said. “But we are sure of what we can do to help prevent the spread and that’s what we’re focusing on right now.

Public health says the outbreak is at Tucker Hall.

Snodgrass says that’s a 90-bed licensed long-term care home on the Parkland Saint John campus.

Snodgrass said all residents are self-isolating as well as some employees – she declined to say how many.

Residents can normally move freely between the buildings, but under pandemic restrictions, she says most of the movement is limited to health care team members.

She says the investigation into cause of the outbreak is ongoing.

What to do if you have a symptom

People concerned they might have COVID-19 symptoms can take a self-assessment test online

Public Health says symptoms shown by people with COVID-19 have included:

  • A fever above 38 C.

  • A new cough or worsening chronic cough.

  • Sore throat.

  • Runny nose.

  • Headache.

  • New onset of fatigue, muscle pain, diarrhea, loss of sense of taste or smell.

  • Difficulty breathing.

In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.

People with one of those symptoms should:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending