Helen Hayes, who represents Dulwich and West Norwood, said on Twitter that people were reportedly struggling to access both test appointments and home test kits, and called for constituents to contact her to help “build up a picture of extent of issues locally”.
<p class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)–sm Mt(0.8em)–sm" type="text" content="Her comments came after she was tweeted by a Twitter user who said the government website was saying no home tests were available.” data-reactid=”34″>Her comments came after she was tweeted by a Twitter user who said the government website was saying no home tests were available.
<p class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)–sm Mt(0.8em)–sm" type="text" content="Read more: Concern as coronavirus tests ‘rationed’ to focus on local lockdown areas” data-reactid=”35″>Read more: Concern as coronavirus tests ‘rationed’ to focus on local lockdown areas
Many reports from constituents of difficulty accessing test appointments & home testing kits. If this is your experience please email me so I can build up a picture of extent of issues locally. As schools & universities return & Covid cases increase, test & trace is a shambles https://t.co/XHICEGhxpZ
— Helen Hayes (@helenhayes_) September 7, 2020
It is not clear if the issues experienced in the area are affecting other places too.
The Department of Health and Social Care told Yahoo News UK it had not run out of tests but that it could “pause the booking portal for short periods” during periods of high demand.
Test and trace is seen as key to keeping coronavirus cases under control, allowing officials to understand where problematic areas are and get affected people to isolate at home.
Twitter user Amelia Torode posted screenshots of the government’s testing website including one saying there “are no more home tests available” and to try again later.
Another screenshot shows a message saying no drive-through test sites or walk-in sites were available either.
Tottenham MP David Lammy said a pupil in his constituency had been directed to get a drive-through test in Inverness, which he described as “bonkers”.
A constituent has just got in touch upset that the nearest drive-through COVID test a pupil in Tottenham has been offered is in Inverness. The result is they are being kept home from school. This is bonkers. The government needs to quickly explain and fix its approach to testing.
— David Lammy (@DavidLammy) September 7, 2020
A Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “Hundreds of thousands of people are being tested every day and new booking slots and home testing kits are being made available daily.
“There is a high demand for tests and to help stop the spread of the virus we are targeting testing capacity at the areas that need it most, including those where there is an outbreak, as well as prioritising at-risk groups.
<p class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)–sm Mt(0.8em)–sm" type="text" content="Read more: Schools close after teachers test positive for coronavirus days after reopening” data-reactid=”56″>Read more: Schools close after teachers test positive for coronavirus days after reopening
“We have the capacity to test for coronavirus at an unprecedented scale. We are expanding capacity to 500,000 tests a day by the end of October, increasing the number of testing sites and bringing in new technology to process results faster.”
In a statement, the spokesperson added: “We have not run out of tests. For home testing when there’s high demand we pause the booking portal for short periods.”
<p class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)–sm Mt(0.8em)–sm" type="text" content="Coronavirus: what happened today” data-reactid=”59″>Coronavirus: what happened today
<p class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)–sm Mt(0.8em)–sm" type="text" content="Click here to sign up to the latest news and information with our daily Catch-up newsletter” data-reactid=”60″>Click here to sign up to the latest news and information with our daily Catch-up newsletter
New Brunswick reports one new case of COVID-19, has four active cases – Yahoo News Canada
FREDERICTON — New Brunswick is reporting one new case of COVID-19 today.
Health officials say the new case involves an individual between 60 and 69 years old in the Miramichi region.
They say the case is related to travel from outside of the Atlantic bubble and the person is self-isolating.
There have been 197 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in New Brunswick to date, and 191 people have recovered.
Two people have died, and four cases are still active.
Health officials have conducted a total of 71,585 tests.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 23, 2020.
The Canadian Press
Newly-discovered asteroid buzzes past Earth Thursday morning – The Weather Network
Astronomers are tracking a newfound asteroid that is expected to make a brief but very close pass by Earth, early Thursday morning.
Asteroid 2020 SW was discovered on September 18, by the Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona. Estimated at between 5 to 10 metres wide, this space rock will make its closest pass by Earth at 7:12 a.m. EDT, on Thursday, September 24.
At that time, it is expected to be roughly 22,000 kilometres above the planet’s surface.
“There are a large number of tiny asteroids like this one, and several of them approach our planet as close as this several times every year,” Paul Chodas, director of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS) at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, said in a press release on Wednesday. “In fact, asteroids of this size impact our atmosphere at an average rate of about once every year or two.”
This frame from the NASA asteroid trajectory animation shows 2020 SW at its closest approach to Earth. Credit: NASA JPL
At that distance, the asteroid is actually closer than the ring of geostationary weather and communications satellites surrounding Earth at a distance of around 36,000 kilometres. However, as the image above shows, by then, the asteroid will be below the satellite ring and beneath Earth.
Although 2020 SW is logged as a “potentially hazardous asteroid” in NASA’s records, it doesn’t pose any threat to Earth. According to CNEOS, who has traced the asteroid’s orbit back to 1975 and forward to 2095, this September 24 pass is the closest this object has ever come to us in that timespan.
The shape of asteroid 2020 SW’s 373-day orbit around the Sun marks it as an Apollo asteroid – an Earth-crossing asteroid that spends all of its time between the orbits of Venus and Mars. Credit: NASA CNEOS
The next time the asteroid will be anywhere close to Earth again is in September of 2041. At that time, it will be pass far beyond the Moon, at a distance of over 3.5 million kilometres.
RELATED: DID ASTEROID CRATERS KICKSTART LIFE ON EARTH?
While 2020 SW poses no threat to Earth, it is still of interest to scientists. NASA’s Goldstone Observatory is planning to bounce radio waves off the asteroid’s surface during this close pass. The data collected can then be turned into radar images, revealing the asteroid’s shape and giving us an idea of its composition.
The 34-meter DSS-13 radio antenna at the Goldstone Observatory is used for radio astronomy, including collecting radar images of passing near-Earth objects. Credit: NASA
According to NASA, if 2020 SW or an asteroid of similar size did actually strike Earth, it would almost certainly break apart high up in the atmosphere as a fireball. Only the toughest space rocks of this size – those primarily composed of metal – can reach the surface mostly intact.
“The detection capabilities of NASA’s asteroid surveys are continually improving,” added Chodas, “and we should now expect to find asteroids of this size a couple days before they come near our planet.”
Indeed, the fact that this tiny rock was spotted roughly six days before its flyby is a testament to the Catalina Sky Survey’s asteroid detection skills.
Reptile dubbed 'Jaws of Death' terrorized Cretaceous seas – CANOE
Article content continued
“If you were an animal in the oceans less than 20 feet (6 metres) in length, you are most likely on the menu for Gnathomortis,” added Lively, whose study was published in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology.
That menu, Lively said, may have included sea turtles, fish, sharks and other marine reptiles including smaller mosasaurs.
Like other mosasaurs and many lizards and snakes, it boasted an extra set of teeth on the roof of its mouth.
A large depression on the outer surface of its lower jaws is indicative of large muscles that gave it tremendous bite-force. While it lived alongside even-larger mosasaurs like 46-foot-long (14-metre-long) Tylosaurus in the Western Interior Seaway that ran from present-day Canada to Mexico, Gnathomortis had stronger jaws.
“‘Jaws of Death’ seemed appropriate for this kind of critter,” Lively said, “and it turns out to be an awesome name.”
Campaigniacs podcast- Episode 2: Women in Sask. politics – Regina Leader-Post
Craig Anderson’s time in Ottawa comes to an end – TSN
Galaxy S20 FE isn't a revolution in mobile tech, but it's what 2020 calls for – CNET
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Tech18 hours ago
PS5 and Xbox Series X pre-orders are a disaster — what to do now – Tom's Guide
- Investment20 hours ago
China will boost investment in strategic industries
- Tech22 hours ago
iOS 14 widgets leads Pinterest to break its daily App Store download record
- Sports22 hours ago
Lightning show grit in Final, adapt after first-round sweep last season
- Media20 hours ago
WFPS to investigate 'unacceptable behaviours' on social media – CTV News Winnipeg
- Politics20 hours ago
The one thing that matters to stocks more than politics
- News17 hours ago
Things To Consider When Getting Motor Vehicle Insurance
- Business21 hours ago
Elon Musk sees 'big target' in mining costs – Kitco NEWS