As many as 40 local television outlets and 200 Canadian radio stations could be forced to close in the next three years as the financial pressures faced by media companies intensify under the COVID-19 pandemic, suggests a new study from an industry advocacy group.
The Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) issued a report on Wednesday warning of potential closures and widespread job cuts as private TV and radio broadcasters face a cumulative projected revenue shortfall of up to $1.06 billion by the end of 2022.
Most vulnerable are the country’s AM radio stations, the report said, as well as other independent private radio and TV operations in smaller markets across the country.
The study, titled “The Crisis in Canadian Media and the Future of Local Broadcasting,” was commissioned by the CAB, which represents the majority of private broadcasters in Canada, and conducted through Winnipeg-based independent media economics consultancy Communications Management Inc.
The CAB says it’s concerned about the fallout from a substantial erosion in local advertising revenues over recent months.
Radio stations may be hardest hit in the short term, the report suggests, partly due to many advertisers pulling back on their spending in the pandemic and hastening a decline in the media industry’s revenues.
Private radio ad revenues are expected to be $383 million below last year, it said.
The report’s projections suggest that without further government support those declines could mean as many as 50 private local radio stations go out of business over the next four to six months.
Another 150 radio stations could topple in the 18 months that follow, it said, leading to as many as 2,000 job losses.
TV stations not immune
TV stations could risk a similar fate with roughly 40 of Canada’s 94 private TV broadcasters in danger of closing within one to three years, the research predicts.
The CAB is calling on the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to take swift action by establishing a “more fair and sustainable future” for local media.
Last month, the organization sent an emergency application to the CRTC requesting permission for broadcasters to be relieved of certain terms of their agreements.
This included spending requirements on Canadian programming, for the broadcast year that ends Aug. 31.
Lenore Gibson, chair of the CAB, said broadcasters have “done their utmost to cut expenses” in areas such as administration, and “the last thing that they want to do is cut into programming costs, but that’s the only area that’s left now.”
The CAB is urging the federal government to provide emergency regulatory relief as well as greater “targeted support” for the industry starting this fall.
Without greater financial measures in place, the CAB says the effects could leave many communities with only national and international media organizations to provide them with most of their news.
Further stating, it would effectively eliminate most community coverage of local politics, health and education in some regions of the country.
COVID-19 app needs Manitoba social media push, 'no app, no entry' strategy in bars, says expert – CBC.ca
The success of Manitoba’s adoption of a COVID-19 exposure alert app may hinge on how the province gets the word out, and whether local restaurants and bars get on board with a “no app, no entry” rule, says an Ontario expert.
The Health Canada COVID Alert app officially launched during the summer in Ontario, followed by Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick. Manitoba will join the effort this week, and Health Minister Cameron Friesen urged the public to download the app now.
But epidemiologist Dr. Prabhat Jha said he hopes Manitoba draws lessons from those other regions, including what not to do.
“What not to do is simply release the app and say, ‘Hey, use it,'” said Jha, director for the Centre for Global Health Research at St. Michael’s Hospital and a professor of epidemiology in the faculty of medicine at the University of Toronto.
What’s needed, said Jha, is a professional social media campaign that targets younger people and makes a compelling case for the value of the app, its confidentiality and the privacy of data.
Another possible initiative is to institute some kind of “no app, no entry” rule at bars and restaurants in conjunction with business owners, said Jha.
“That would have the benefit of increasing the incentive for people to actually use the app.”
The app uses Bluetooth technology to detect app users who come into contact with each other. Users who test positive get a one-time code they can enter. When they do, any app user they’ve been within two metres of for at least 15 minutes in the two weeks prior is notified with an alert.
Though anyone can download the app, only people in provinces that have agreed to participate can report a diagnosis.
On Monday, Minister Friesen said the province would release more details about the app later this week, and encouraged Manitobans to download it in advance.
He said if the provincial government needs to switch up its messaging to reach younger populations, who appear to be driving a recent surge in Winnipeg, then it will.
A provincial spokesperson said Tuesday the government is finalizing plans but intends to promote the app in a number of ways.
However, implementing a “no app, no entry” recommendation would be a challenge, the spokesperson said.
“Any sort of restrictions on access to a site without the app would require significant review, including issues around accessibility of the app on certain phones, the privacy of individuals and access to technology (among others) before anything would be considered,” the spokesperson wrote in an email.
‘Extremely happy’ app coming
Either way, the endorsement by the Manitoba government of the COVID-19 alert app is welcome news, said Jason Kindrachuk.
“I’m extremely happy that Manitoba has signed off on this,” said Kindrachuk, an associate professor and Canada research chair in emerging viruses at the University of Manitoba. “We need to use whatever technology we can to try and get past this virus.”
Friesen and Kindrachuk both said the app doesn’t collect personal information. Health Canada says the app doesn’t track users’ location, name, address, health information or personal contacts in their phone.
That also means it won’t necessarily make the job of contact tracers immediately easier, said Kindrachuk.
What it will do is highlight hot spots for transmission, which could help health officials focus in on outbreak areas sooner, he said.
One of the confounding factors of the novel coronavirus is the ability of those infected to transmit the disease while asymptomatic, said Kindrachuk. The transmission period can be in the range of five days, he said. That means people may not know they’ve been exposed and could transmit the virus for days before they’re notified.
“Being able to have an app like this, where you get notified extremely quickly if somebody has tested positive, that may decrease your ability to transmit the virus by days, and I think that’s quite critical,” Kindrachuk told CBC Information Radio host Marcy Markusa.
Use of the app is voluntary, but its effectiveness is dependent on how many Manitobans download it. Friesen said in order for it to help health officials, 60 per cent or more of a target population must use it, but some experts say it doesn’t need to be used by a majority to have a positive impact.
WATCH | Health minister encourages Manitobans to download federal COVID-19 app:
Two months after it was rolled out in Ontario, Jha said the app has had little social marketing help. On the plus side, there is some early evidence suggesting a greater proportion of people who reported a contact are now being tested, some of which is attributable to the app, he said.
“That’s good news, but the levels of uptake still remain low,” he said.
Kindrachuk agrees the impact of the app locally is tied to uptake. Large-scale benefits of the tool may not be immediately clear, he said, but it could help inform how apps like it are used in the future.
“In the months and years after COVID, we’ll get a real sense of how well the app performed,” he said.
Pinterest is this year's best social media stock – CNN
EU – Western Balkans Media Literacy Conference: Opening remarks by High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell – EU News
Ladies and gentlemen, dear colleagues and friends,
I am pleased to welcome you to the first edition of the European Union – Western Balkans Media Literacy Conference.
The European Union is a Union of values and principles and today you will discuss important principles, which are at the core of the European Union and the European Union integration: media literacy, youth empowerment, the strengthening of civil society and media freedom.
These principles are also essential for fighting disinformation, a global challenge and a threat to democracy.
Misinformation and disinformation proliferated in the Western Balkans, in the European Union and in the whole world during the pandemic. This has been dangerous for all of us. Above all because lies about medical issues can even kill.
We have to engage globally to counter disinformation. To identify sources of disinformation and to provide citizens with reliable, accurate and timely facts.
Work is needed to protect and promote fundamental rights, such as freedom of expression and media pluralism.
During this crisis, fact-checkers and media organisations in the Western Balkans – many of you are present at today’s Conference – debunked fake news, exposed disinformation trends and informed citizens.
Fact-checking organisations linked up with partners in the region, worked across borders and teamed up with organisations in the European Union, and made an important contribution to the public debate.
This – your – work does not go unnoticed. It empowers people and the youth to speak their minds and to become agents of change.
It is great to have many young people, who are at the forefront of the digital transformation.
With most of today’s participants being from the Western Balkans, let me conclude by saying what I have underlined several times before: the European Union is not complete without the Western Balkans.
I want to thank all of you and specifically the organisation “Why not” from Bosnia and Herzegovina for co-organising today’s conference, together with our EU Delegation in Sarajevo and the EEAS Stratcom Western Balkans Task Force.
I wish you all fruitful discussions and a good and productive event.
COVID-19 app needs Manitoba social media push, 'no app, no entry' strategy in bars, says expert – CBC.ca
5 big picture takeaways from the most unusual Stanley Cup Playoffs – Sportsnet.ca
Doctors worry supplies of flu vaccine, PPE won't meet demand, survey suggests – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Tech21 hours ago
Office 365 outage ongoing after roll back fails – ZDNet
- Health21 hours ago
Ottawa Public Health releases coronavirus data by neighbourhood – CTV Edmonton
- News15 hours ago
Canadian travel restrictions extended until Halloween – Canada Immigration News
- Economy16 hours ago
Healthy US economy failed to narrow racial gaps in 2019
- Tech16 hours ago
Microsoft says recent software change caused major outage – Global News
- Business23 hours ago
Ford sweetens deal for autoworkers in Canada, Unifor ratifies contract – Detroit Free Press
- Tech23 hours ago
EB Games listing points to Xbox All Access financing starting at $29.99/month in Canada – MobileSyrup
- Science22 hours ago
Another look at possible under-ice lakes on Mars: They’re still there – Ars Technica