Connect with us

Tech

Indonesia's Tokopedia Probes Alleged Data Leak of 91 Million Users – The New York Times

Published

on


SINGAPORE — Tokopedia, Indonesia’s largest e-commerce platform, said it was investigating an attempted hack and claims that the details of millions of its users had been leaked online.

“We found that there had been an attempt to steal data from Tokopedia users,” a spokesman for the company said in a statement late Saturday.

“However, Tokopedia ensures that crucial information such as passwords remains successfully protected behind encryption.”

“At this moment, we continue to investigate further into this matter and there is no additional information that we can share,” the statement added.

Data breach monitoring firm Under the Breach published a Twitter post on Saturday showing screenshots from an unnamed individual who claimed he had acquired the personal details of 15 million Tokopedia users during a March 2020 hack on the e-commerce site.

According to the screenshots, which show names, emails and birthdays, the hacker alleges he or she is in possession of a much bigger user database and asks for assistance to “crack” users’ passwords.

Under the Breach, which monitors cyber crime, said on Sunday the hacker had updated the post to offer the details of 91 million users for “$5,000 on the Darknet”. The firm shared a screenshot of the hacker’s proposed offer posted online.

Backed by $2 billion in funding from investors including SoftBank Group Corp’s Vision Fund and Alibaba, Tokopedia, whose founder and CEO William Tanuwijaya is one of the country’s most prominent tech entrepreneurs, claims more than 90 million monthly active users.

A Tokopedia spokesman declined to comment directly on the hacker’s claims, but told Reuters on Sunday that “all transactions with all payments methods at Tokopedia … remain secure.”

(Reporting by Fanny Potkin; Editing by Michael Perry and Himani Sarkar)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

What was the better investment in 1985: Super Mario Bros or Apple stock? – The Next Web

Published

on


Wanna hear something disgusting? A vintage copy of Super Mario Bros. on the NES was just sold at auction for $114,000.

Admittedly, it’s one of the most influential games ever (it introduces Mario to the world) and the specific copy was given a 9.4 grading, which means it’s in near-perfect condition. Oh, and there’s some weird technicality about a cardboard hanger tag that makes it super rare. But still… $114,000?

This got me thinking — how good of an investment would it have been buying a copy of Super Mario Bros. and leaving it somewhere safe for 20-odd years? Well, I’m going to find out.

After a bit of consideration, I decided that the best thing to compare it to is Apple stock. The Cupertino company has been the darling of investors for years now, with Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway owning $91.3 billion of it, making up 43% of its portfolio.

So, let’s find out which would’ve been a better investment.

I couldn’t find a specific US release date, but Super Mario Bros. was launched in Japan on September 13, 1985 — so I’m going to use this date.

After a bit of digging, I found the rough price range of NES games from a print issue of Electronic Games Monthly:

NES games super mario bros cost on release

Now, as Super Mario Bros. was a flagship title, let’s just assume that it was one of the most expensive games on the NES. That means it would’ve had a retail cost of $49.99.

Next? Well, we need to find out how much Apple stock cost on September 13, 1985. Which I did:

Apple Stock 1985 super mario bros

It closed at $0.281250 on that day, meaning $49.99 worth of it would leave us with 177.74 Apple stocks. 

Not bad at all.

In terms of dates, the $114,000 copy of Super Mario Bros. sold on July 10, 2020. At close on the same day, a single Apple stock was worth $383.679993.

This means your 177.74 Apple stocks were worth $68,196.14 last Friday. Oof.

Yep, the mint condition copy of Super Mario Bros. is worth $45,803.86 more than all those sweet, delicious stocks.

But don’t tear up your investment portfolio just yet (I know how close you were), as this is a bit of a blip for two reasons: one, the rarity of this specific copy of the game and two, stock splits.

Let’s look at the rarity first.

A bit of browsing on Price Charting shows that even an unopened copy of Super Mario Bros. normally only goes for, on average, $298.26.

super mario bros new price chart
Of course, there’s a fair amount of variation here and none of these new copies were officially graded, but hey, it gives us an idea.

So yeah, if you were thinking of heading to your parents’ loft to try and find that beat-up copy you used to play with your siblings, and make a killing, you might be disappointed.

Now, onto the stock splits.

Basically, this is what happens when a company divides its existing shares so there are more of them. Apple has done this four times since 1985. The long and short of it meaning that if you held 177 when Super Mario Bros. was released, you’d actually have 9,912 now.

So, rather than the $68,196.14 we mentioned earlier, you’d actually be sitting on $3,803,036.09*.

Which — in case you were wondering — is quite a lot more than $114,000.

Anyway, let’s wrap this up and answer the question: what was the better investment in 1985 out of Super Mario Bros. and Apple stock? If you’re a boring stock splitter tracker, then Apple, easily.

But if you love to ride free and easy on the wind? With truly basic (read: incorrect) maths? Then Super Mario Bros.

Yes, it’s a shame, but I think what I want to say is this: suck it, Buffett.

*Note: I didn’t account for dividends because, literally, you cannot make me. Just be happy with what you’ve got.

For more gear, gadget, and hardware news and reviews, follow Plugged on
Twitter and
Flipboard.

Published July 13, 2020 — 14:42 UTC

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Ubisoft is giving away Watch Dogs 2 for free on PC, even if you missed its event – TechRadar

Published

on


If you tuned in to the Ubisoft Forward event on July 12 in the hopes of receiving a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 on PC, you might have been left disappointed. 

Countless people tried to claim the rewards on offer by logging into their Uplay accounts during the livestream, only to be met with countless error messages. It meant that many people missed out on the various rewards on offer, which didn’t go down particularly well.

Thankfully, Ubisoft’s support account tweeted that the rewards would be made available for all, even if you couldn’t log in at the time.

To get the rewards, all you need to do is head to this web page, log in with your Ubisoft account and a free copy of Watch Dogs 2 should be yours. We tried it ourselves and were greeted with this message.

(Image credit: Ubisoft)

Here doggy, doggy

Ubisoft showed off Assassin’s Creed Valhalla gameplay footage and provided another look of Watch Dogs Legion during its livestream event, and teased another Ubisoft Forward event will take place this year. 

Ubisoft also revealed Far Cry 6, which is due to release on February 18, 2020, and stars Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito as the dictator Anton Castillo. The announcement didn’t come as much of a surprise, however, as the game was leaked earlier than expected due to a premature PlayStation Store listing. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Ubisoft shares sink after misconduct review – Canada.com

Published

on


PARIS — Ubisoft shares dropped 9% on Monday after the French video games group said over the weekend that three senior managers were leaving the company following a review into allegations of inappropriate behavior.

Ubisoft, which makes games such as Assassin’s Creed and Prince of Persia, said last month it had hired external consultants to investigate allegations that media reports said related to sexual misconduct.

The video games industry was caught up in the #MeToo movement in June after several women spoke about abuse and discrimination on Twitter.

Ubisoft said on Saturday the group’s chief creative officer, the managing director of its Canadian studios and global head of human resources had resigned from their positions, effective immediately.

None of them immediately responded to requests for comment sent via their LinkedIn profiles.

Ubisoft said late Sunday that Yves Guillemot, the group’s co-founder and chief executive, would take on the chief creative officer role on an interim basis and that it would revamp the “way in which the creative teams collaborate.”

“Ubisoft has fallen short in its obligation to guarantee a safe and inclusive workplace environment for its employees,” Guillemot said in a statement.

Analysts said the departures, and potential litigation, could weigh on the company’s sales.

Jefferies analysts said in a note to investors that “more reports may emerge, with stakeholders potentially holding top management responsible, and potential financial implications including disrupted production and litigations.” (Reporting by Pawel Goraj in Gdansk and Maya Nikolaeva in Paris; Editing by Edmund Blair and Mark Potter)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending