Connect with us

News

International Federation of Journalists urges Canada to guarantee access after Danish journalist denied entry – CBC.ca

Published

on


The International Federation of Journalists, along with three unions representing journalists, are calling on the Canadian government to guarantee freedom of information after a Danish journalist was denied entry to the country. 

Kristian Lindhardt had spent four months in Canada before the pandemic working on an independent documentary, and reporting for his employer DR (the Danish Broadcasting Corporation), about Indigenous resistance to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion in British Columbia. 

He had planned to return to Canada on Friday, presenting press credentials and a 14-day quarantine plan to border officers in Vancouver. But after six hours of questioning over two days, he was denied entry and forced to return to Denmark.

“The COVID-19 pandemic must not be used as an excuse to impede certain media coverages and hamper press freedom. The Canadian authorities haven’t provided a valid explanation to deport Mr. Lindhardt. We urge the government to clarify the situation and guarantee freedom of information and access rights for foreign journalists,” said IFJ general secretary Anthony Bellanger in a release on Tuesday.

The IFJ is a global union that represents more than 600,000 members of the media in more than 140 countries.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) declined to comment on Lindhardt’s specific case, but said on Sunday that journalists can be considered non-discretionary travellers if they can prove there is a requirement for them to be physically in Canada, and that the decision is made by border officials on a case-by-case basis.

The CBSA followed up on Tuesday to add that foreign nationals can enter into Canada during the pandemic if they are asymptomatic for COVID-19, their travel is not discretionary, and if they qualify for one of 23 exemptions outlined in the order prohibiting entry to the country.

The order states that foreign nationals may enter if they “will provide an essential service while in Canada.”

Public Safety Canada’s list of essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic does include members of the media.

Lindhardt had been covering the ongoing construction of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, and the impact on members of the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation. He had arranged a suite to self-quarantine for 14 days before travelling to the reserve, as required.

Unifor, the Communications Workers of America (CWA) and the Danish journalists’ union (DJ) joined IFJ in condemning Lindhardt’s deportation and urging the border agency to reverse its decision.

“Journalism is an essential service and Canadian border officials must not impede the movement of any journalist operating safely, within the public health directives,” said Jerry Dias, president of Unifor.

Lindhardt told CBC News he was not given a reason entrance was denied other than the border officials’ repeated assertion that “media is not essential.”

He said the border official’s line of questioning largely focused on the subject of his reporting.

“Journalism is of vital importance particularly in times of crisis. Using COVID as an excuse to block a journalist is simply unacceptable. It is especially troubling because COVID is now being used by many regimes as yet another way to crack down on press freedom, and Canada should be setting a positive example for the world,” said CWA president Martin O’Hanlon. 

“We urge the Canada Border Services Agency to reverse this decision.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

News

Canada reports more than 1,200 new coronavirus cases, 7 deaths – Global News

Published

on


Winnipeg police say a woman has died and several other people have been injured in a collision involving a vehicle that was fleeing police.

The crash happened at about 1:30 p.m. Saturday in the area of Salter Street and Boyd Avenue, police said in a statement.

According to police, officers tried to pull over a vehicle for a traffic stop but the driver “took off at a high rate of speed.”

Read more:
Vehicle-pedestrian collision on Portage Ave. leaves one person in critical condition

Seconds later, the vehicle hit another car in the nearby intersection of Andrews Street and Boyd Avenue.

Four people in the vehicle that was struck — including an infant and a child — were sent to hospital.  A woman who was in that vehicle has died from her injuries, police said.

Story continues below advertisement

Two people from the vehicle that had fled police were also transported to hospital.

Police said most of the victims are in critical or serious condition.

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba, which investigates serious incidents involving police, has been called to investigate.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada's death toll could hit 16000 by the end of 2020, new modelling warns – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
Canada could see as many as 16,000 COVID-19 deaths by the end of the year if current public safety measures don’t change, according to new modelling from the United States that has provided accurate assessments of the American death toll.

But a Canadian pandemic modelling expert says that, while anything is possible, the American model may not be capturing the whole picture in Canada.

The model from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington suggests Canada could see 16,214 deaths by Jan. 1 based on the current situation. If public safety mandates are loosened, such as physical distancing, the death toll could be even higher, hitting a projected 16,743 lives lost.

Universal masking in public spaces could curb those numbers and save thousands of lives, the model suggests, pointing to countries like Singapore that have successfully put in place masking protocols that are 95 per cent effective. Singapore has reported 27 deaths since the start of the pandemic.

If Canada were to successfully implement similar rules, the modelling predicts a death toll of 12,053.

So far Canada has reported 9,256 deaths from COVID-19 and more than 150,000 cases. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warned earlier this week that the country is at the beginning of a second wave of infections as he urged Canadians to take public health guidance seriously.

Quebec is leading the country with new cases of COVID-19. On Saturday, the province reported another 698 cases, the highest daily infection numbers since May.

Dionne Aleman, an associate professor at the University of Toronto who specializes in mathematical models for pandemic prediction, said the IHME model is “simplistic” and does not account for regional differences across the country.

While a second wave of COVID-19 infections has started, Aleman points out that deaths are not in a second wave. COVID-19 deaths in Canada peaked in April and May, when more than 100 people died in connection with the virus daily. Those numbers have remained much lower in recent months, with five deaths reported on Friday.

“The fact that deaths are not tracking with infections as they did in the first wave indicates that vulnerable individuals are taking more precautions to protect themselves now, and it is reasonable to assume those precautions will continue as the second wave gets worse. This model does not account for the fact that some people are behaving differently from others, and thus, the projected deaths are likely overstated,” Aleman told CTVNews.ca on Saturday over email.

The latest modelling by the Public Health Agency of Canada does not offer predictions to the end of the year, but suggests that, based on current rates, the death toll could steadily rise to 9,300 lives lost by Oct. 2.

The IMHE modelling has proven to be accurate. Earlier this year, the model predicted that the U.S. would hit 200,000 deaths in September, a grim milestone that happened earlier this week. Now, the model predicts the U.S. death toll will nearly double by the end of the year, reaching 371,509 by Jan. 1.

The IMHE model also predicts daily infections — a number that includes people who aren’t tested for COVID-19 — could hit more than 19,000 by the end of the year.

Aleman said it’s important to remember that, even if a person doesn’t die from COVID-19, the consequences of getting sick can be serious.

“There are numerous examples of otherwise healthy individuals with severe reactions to COVID taking several weeks and even months to recover, and there are indications that there could be long-term health consequences,” she said.

“We should view these projections of exponential infection increase with great concern, and we as individuals should take every reasonable precaution to stem this increase before it is too far out of control. Wearing masks is easy and effective, and we should do it.”

Infections may be on the upswing, but Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam said Saturday that limiting personal contacts as much as possible can help once again flatten the curve. She encouraged Canadians to take time this weekend to chat with loved ones about how to keep their bubbles safer.

“Even if people attending an event are part of your extended family, as has been the case with some of these private gathering outbreaks, it doesn’t mean they are not infected, even if no one appears to be unwell,” Tam said in a statement.

“Despite the very real concern of a large resurgence in areas where the virus is escalating, there is still reason to be optimistic that we can get things back to the slow burn.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

B.C. university launches 1st peace and reconciliation centre in Canada – CBC.ca

Published

on


The University of the Fraser Valley hopes its new Peace and Reconciliation Centre (PARC) — which the school says is the first of its kind in Canada — will help contribute to a more equitable society.

Professor Keith Carlson, the centre’s chair, said institutions like universities and governments can often reinforce unequal power structures by excluding knowledge and experience from historically-marginalized communities.

The PARC was established to counter that by “bringing new voices to the table,” he told Margaret Gallagher, guest host of CBC’s On the Coast on Thursday. 

Aside from collaborating with academic departments like Peace and Conflict Studies, the PARC will offer funding and scholarships to students and faculty, as well as community members not affiliated with UFV “who are looking for partners and allies to change the world,” said Carlson. 

The Abbotsford-based university says it has received substantial funding from the Oikodome Foundation, a local Christian charity.

UFV launched the PARC Thursday with a virtual event featuring speeches from Steven Point, the first-ever Indigenous chancellor of UBC, and former Ontario Premier Bob Rae, now Canada’s ambassador to the United Nations.

‘Deep listening’

Jacqueline Nolte, dean of UFV’s college of arts, said the university envisions the PARC as a hub for constructive dialogue, research and creative expression aimed at building trust among diverse communities. 

“We will facilitate deep listening and mediation such that all people will feel heard and acknowledged,” she said in a news release. 

The scope of the centre won’t be narrow.

Along with relations between Indigenous people and settlers, Carlson said the centre could address everything from domestic violence to interfaith conflicts in the Middle East and Ireland. 

Carlson, who holds the Canada Research Chair in Indigenous and community-engaged history, echoed Nolte’s words.

“What we’re saying [is] that we value Indigenous ways of knowing,” Carlson said.

“The structures that underlie racism need to be dismantled so that everybody in this country […] will be able to enjoy all the privileges that anybody who’s of European descent [has].”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending