Connect with us

Sports

LaVar Ball: ‘You’ve got to be crazy’ not to draft LaMelo first overall – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


During the lead-up to the 2017 NBA draft, LaVar Ball was adamant that his oldest son Lonzo Ball should (and would) land with the Los Angeles Lakers No. 2 overall. Three years later, the father of three is still talking up his sons as another Ball is set to hit the NBA: LaMelo, projected to be a top-three pick in Wednesday’s draft.

“It’s all the same. My boys are on the same journey. Me and my wife, from Day One, we had a goal to get them all to the NBA and that’s all we’re doing,” said LaVar during an interview on Good Show on Wednesday. “It’s not like, ‘Oh, man, I’m so excited my son is getting drafted’ — I already knew he was gonna get drafted.”

Though, some things have changed about his mindset. Whereas LaVar was vocal about Lonzo’s destination being L.A., his concern this time around isn’t where LaMelo ends up but rather with whom.

“I learned that it doesn’t matter where you’re at, you’ve just got to have a coach believe in you,” he said.

Lonzo is now with the New Orleans Pelicans after being part of the blockbuster July 2019 trade that sent Anthony Davis to the Lakers. Middle son LiAngelo is currently with the Oklahoma City Thunder’s G League affiliate, the Blue. According to projections, LaMelo — the youngest of the three Ball boys — will most likely land in Minnesota, Golden State, or Charlotte.

“I ain’t hopeful for No. 1 — he’s going No. 1. You’ve got to be crazy not to take him No. 1,” LaVar said. “Even if you don’t want him, you can trade him and get a bunch of stuff for him. But you’ve got to take him No. 1.”

For LaVar, the dream is still alive that all three sons wind up with the same NBA club.

“I was talking about New York and Detroit in the beginning, because they wanted all three of my sons. They were going to try to find a way. But they got so far in the draft, they can’t offer enough to get all three of them,” he said. “Whoever wants all three of my boys, that’s the team I want. But for now, I want LaMelo to have the best coach believes in him.”

Asked if his sons also dream of playing together, Ball said “of course.”

“They’re unbeatable like that,” he said. “Their playing speed is so fast, you can’t catch them. Everybody’s looking for the Big Three, these boys are the big three organically, all their life.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NHL considering mid-January start, 56-game season: reports – CBC.ca

Published

 on


The NHL is now considering a mid-January start date for an abbreviated 56-game regular season, multiple outlets reported Friday.

The league and NHL Players’ Association discussed multiple options for the upcoming campaign Thursday night.

The Jan. 1 start date both sides had been shooting for is no longer realistic given the time needed for training camp and other preparations. TSN reported that Jan. 15 or 16 is a more likely target, with the NHL looking to wrap up the Stanley Cup Final by early July.

A 52-game season was discussed, but sources told The Athletic, which CBC Sports has not independently verified, that both sides would prefer 56 games for obvious revenue reasons.

Training camps for all 31 teams would begin around Jan. 2.

There are still several financial issues that need to be worked out. Surges in COVID-19 numbers could also force further delays to the calendar.

The 2019-20 NHL season was interrupted in March by the pandemic. The hockey season eventually was completed over the summer in two bubble locations: Edmonton and Toronto.

The Stanley Cup Finals concluded Sept. 28 with the Tampa Bay Lightning defeating the Dallas Stars in six games.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Devils’ Jack Hughes won’t be released to Team USA for world juniors – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The New Jersey Devils will not release Jack Hughes to Team USA for the 2021 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship in Edmonton, saying they want Hughes to focus on the upcoming NHL season instead.

“We need Jack to concentrate on the Devils,” Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald told NHL.com. “The silver lining for Jack [and all of our young players] during this pandemic was a lengthy opportunity to gain strength and weight to compete in the NHL when we start.”

The first-overall pick from the 2019 NHL Draft scored 21 points in 61 games as a rookie last season. Hughes played for the U.S. at the 2019 world juniors where he had four points in four games.

The Devils were one of seven teams that did not return to play this summer and the team has not played a game since a March 10 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

USA Hockey announced its preliminary roster for the 2021 world juniors Monday, which includes top prospects Jake Sanderson, Cole Caufield and Nick Robertson, among others. The team will hold its selection camp at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich., from Dec. 6-13.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Insider Trading: Could there be a number of outdoor games with fans? – TSN

Published

 on


Why have Alexis Lafreniere and Jack Hughes been denied the chance to play in the World Juniors by their respective clubs? Could there be a number of outdoor games with fans when the season starts? TSN Hockey Insiders Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun and Frank Seravalli discuss this and more.


Will first overall pick and defending MVP at the World Juniors Alexis Lafrenière be freed up to play for Canada this Christmas?

Darren Dreger: The New York Rangers made the decision that they will not be releasing Alexis Lafrenière, the first overall pick in the 2020 Draft, to Team Canada and the World Junior Championship. They want him to continue to train in the New York area as we reported on Tuesday. He’s been doing that, staying with family members since the beginning of November. They want him entirely focused on his first NHL camp. Similar thinking by Tom Fitzgerald, the general manager of the New Jersey Devils, with Jack Hughes. USA Hockey has inquired. With the delays between the NHL and NHLPA, Team USA wondering if Jack Hughes can take another run at the World Junior Championship, but Fitzgerald wants Jack Hughes absolutely dialed in on his second NHL camp. A bit more of loose scenario with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Nick Robertson. So Team USA could get a boost from Nick Robertson, but it’s all dependent on what’s happening with the National Hockey League. If the NHL is up and running, Robertson stays in Toronto. If it’s not, then he will go to Edmonton by the middle of this month.

A full season without any fans in the stands would be crushing to league revenues. But, some fans are trying to be creative on how to bring in fans safely?

Pierre LeBrun: Creative is a good way to put it, Gino. Believe it or not, but I’m just passing this along. The Pittsburgh Penguins for example have informed the league that they would be ready to start the opening month of the regular season in outdoor games. The Boston Bruins looking to play multiple games at Fenway Park if it’s feasible and if local health authorities are OK with it. We also have the Carolina Hurricanes who might want to have a game or two by their own refrigeration system. The LA Kings have the MLS stadium in California later in the season if health authorities allow it, but would like to play a whole bunch of games, and there’s other teams as well that have told the league we’d like to play outdoor games. Why? Because with the fans physically distanced, obviously you can get some gate revenue. That’s what this is all about. The NHL has not officially responded. I think right now they see the pros and the cons to it. By the way, none of the seven Canadian teams at this point, I believe, think it’s feasible or of interest to them. So we’ll see where this goes.

Frank Seravalli: The key to having these games being played safely, will be testing. And the big difference between next season and finishing off last year in the hubs, is that teams are responsible for securing their own testing for players and staff members. Let’s just say there’s been a lot of shopping going on for NHL teams when it comes to testing because it’s both expensive and they’re trying to find the most efficient way to get their test results. In talking to a number of teams today, I’m told the average price that teams are paying for COVID-19 tests are somewhere between $125 to $150 USD per test. That adds up, for a 50-member travelling party, that’s $6,000 to $7,000 a day. If you’re multiplying that by seven days a week, you can see $45,000 a week is a lot of money. In addition to that not every team is as lucky as the Carolina Hurricanes have been with their testing site getting their results just an hour up the road. Some teams, especially Western Canadian teams, have had to fly their test results across the country to Canada in order to get those in 24 hours. No one wants to skimp on the testing. They all recognize how important this is in the process, but still something teams are keeping an eye on.

We still don’t know when the NHL season will start or when camps will open up, but are players starting to gather in their team cities to be ready just in case?

Dreger: Yes. I would say more or less, but it depends on what team we’re talking about here. An interesting group of players gathered in Arizona. Auston Matthews, of course, put together a skate there. Connor McDavid participated. Other NHLers said to include the likes of Anthony Duclair and Matt Dumba. At times there were 10, maybe 15 players of NHL calibre, AHL calibre on the ice at one time. Connor McDavid has since returned to Canada this week, but players are doing whatever they can do to stay in shape when the dates come in from the NHL.    

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending