" >Lebanon issues travel ban for ex-Nissan chair Carlos Ghosn, official says - The Globe and Mail | Canada News Media
Connect with us

Business

Lebanon issues travel ban for ex-Nissan chair Carlos Ghosn, official says – The Globe and Mail

Published

on


Former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn had escaped to Lebanon to clear his name.

MOHAMED AZAKIR/Reuters

Lebanese prosecutors issued a travel ban for fugitive ex-Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn and asked him to hand in his French passport on Thursday, following an Interpol-issued notice against him, a judicial official said.

The travel ban comes after Mr. Ghosn was interrogated by prosecutors for nearly two hours over the notice about the charges he faces in Japan over financial misconduct.

The prosecutors also formally asked Japanese authorities for their file on the charges against Mr. Ghosn in order to review the case, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters.

Story continues below advertisement

Mr. Ghosn said he wanted to stay in Lebanon and has no issues to hand in his passport. He was speaking on LBC TV after his questioning by prosecutors.

“I came to Lebanon and I will co-operate with the Lebanese state and judiciary to make sure that everything is done in a way that can’t be criticized, not for Lebanon and not for me,” he said.

Mr. Ghosn then added that he is “a lot more” confident in Lebanon’s judicial system than Japan’s.

He said Lebanese prosecutors questioned him on all the charges, adding that he was ready to hand in all the documents for his case.

Lebanon last week received the Interpol-issued wanted notice, which is a non-binding request to law-enforcement agencies worldwide that they locate and provisionally arrest a fugitive.

At the hearing, Mr. Ghosn was asked to provide an address he resides at in Lebanon and was banned from travelling out of the country, the official said. He was also asked to hand in his French passport. It was not immediately clear what legal procedures would follow.

Lebanon and Japan do not have an extradition treaty, and the Interpol notice does not require that Lebanese authorities arrest him. The authorities say Mr. Ghosn entered Lebanon on a valid passport, casting doubt on the possibility they would hand him over to Japan.

Story continues below advertisement

Interpol cannot compel Lebanon to arrest Mr. Ghosn and it will be up to the local law-enforcement authorities to decide what to do.

On his first public appearance since he fled Japan, Mr. Ghosn on Wednesday railed against the Japanese justice system, accusing it of violating his basic rights and disputing all allegations against him as “untrue and baseless.”

He told a news conference in Beirut that he doesn’t trust he would have a fair trial in Japan, but said he was ready to face justice anywhere else.

Mr. Ghosn, a French, Lebanese and Brazilian national, showed up in Lebanon on Dec. 30, after an audacious and improbable escape from surveillance in Japan. Lebanese officials said he entered legally, with a French passport and a Lebanese identification card.

While a travel ban restricts Mr. Ghosn’s movement, it also offers him a degree of protection by Lebanese authorities, who would presumably ensure he complies with the ban. France also doesn’t have an extradition treaty with Japan.

According to the official, Mr. Ghosn was also interrogated on a separate report against him over a 2008 visit to Israel. Lebanon and Israel are technically at war. No decision was taken regarding this case, which, according to Lebanese law, can be punishable between one and 10 years in jail.

Story continues below advertisement

Two Lebanese lawyers submitted a report to the Public Prosecutor’s Office saying the trip violated Lebanese law. The violation may not be prosecutable, given that it has happened 12 years earlier. A famous Lebanese director, who also carries a French passport and was questioned over the same violation in 2017, was not prosecuted because the visit was three yeas prior.

Mr. Ghosn’s lawyer, Carlos Abou Jaoude confirmed that his client was questioned in the two separate cases – the Interpol notice and the Israel trip. He told reporters Mr. Ghosn was confident in the Lebanese judicial system.

At Wednesday’s news conference, Mr. Ghosn apologized to the Lebanese, saying he never wished to offend anyone when he travelled to Israel as a French national after Nissan asked him to announce the launch of electric cars there.

Tokyo prosecutors, who arrested him in late 2018, said Mr. Ghosn had “only himself to blame” for four-month-long detention and for the strict bail conditions that followed, such as being banned from seeing his wife.

“Defendant Ghosn was deemed a high-profile risk, which is obvious from the fact that he actually fled,” they said.

Mr. Ghosn thanked the Lebanese authorities for their hospitality and defended its judicial system, which has long faced accusations of corruption and favouritism. He said he would be ready to stand trial “anywhere where I think I can have a fair trial.” He declined to say where that might be.

Story continues below advertisement

With big gestures and a five-part slide presentation, Mr. Ghosn brought his case to the global media in a performance that at times resembled a corporate presentation. Combative, spirited and at times rambling, he described conditions of detention in Japan that made him feel “dead … like an animal” in a country where he asserted he had “zero chance” of a fair trial.

He said he was held in solitary confinement for 130 days, was interrogated day and night for hours, appeared in handcuffs and a leash around his waist and was denied rights to see his wife for months.

In his 150-minutes conference on Wednesday, Mr. Ghosn attacked Japanese prosecutors, saying they were “aided and [abetted] by petty, vindictive and lawless individuals” in the government, Nissan and its law firm. He said it was them, not him, “who are destroying Japan’s reputation on the global stage.”

In Thursday’s interview with LBC TV, Mr. Ghosn said his case highlighted the thousands of unfair trials in Japan. “It has become now my duty to defend all those people to change this regime that the Japanese are hiding and they claim is a democracy,” he said.

On Tuesday, Tokyo prosecutors obtained an arrest warrant for Mr. Ghosn’s Lebanese wife, Carole, on suspicion of perjury, a charge unrelated to his escape. However, Japanese justice officials acknowledge that it’s unclear whether the Ghosns can be brought back to Japan to face charges.

Nissan has said it was still pursuing legal action against Mr. Ghosn despite his escape.

Story continues below advertisement

Fugitive ex-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn made on Wednesday his first public comments since fleeing Japan for Lebanon, accusing Japanese prosecutors of brutal treatment and naming Nissan execs he said conspired against him. Reuters

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

B.C.'s 6th presumptive COVID-19 case flew from Montreal to Vancouver on Feb. 14 – CBC.ca

Published

on


The B.C. Centre for Disease Control says the province’s 6th presumptive case of COVID-19, a woman in her 30s, flew on an Air Canada flight from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine’s Day, eight days before she tested positive.

Officials say they have contacted those sitting close to her on the plane and flight staff as a precautionary measure.

Air Canada confirmed on Sunday that a passenger aboard one of its flights from Montreal to Vancouver on February 14 has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. The BCCDC later confirmed it was indeed the case announced on Thursday.

The airline said health authorities confirmed the case with it on Feb. 22, more than a week after the flight. Air Canada says it’s working with public health authorities and has taken “all recommended measures.”

The latest person to test positive for the virus lives in the Fraser Valley, about an hour drive west of Vancouver, but had been visiting Iran, where there has been a spike in cases.

On Sunday, the World Health Organization said there were 28 confirmed cases and five deaths from the virus in Iran.

The case surprised officials in B.C. when they learned the patient had only visited Iran, and not China or neighbouring countries that have had the bulk of COVID-19 cases.

The woman went to hospital upon returning to Canada with flu-like symptoms. She is recovering in isolation at home.

Presence in airport

The Montreal Airport Authority told CBC News that it had not been informed about the case by either Air Canada or B.C. public health authorities, but it also wouldn’t expect to hear if they did not feel it was necessary. 

The plane departed from Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport. The airport said it doesn’t know how long the passenger may have been in the airport. 

In B.C. there have been five confirmed cases of COVID-19. The newest presumptive case will make it six, once a test is confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg.

On Friday, the health authority in the Fraser Valley, where the person with the latest case is located, sent letters to schools districts saying one of her contacts may have attended school before the woman was diagnosed.

The letter emphasized that the contacts of the woman were not showing any signs of symptoms or illness while attending school and are currently well.

“There is no public health risks at schools in the region,” said the letter. “There is also no evidence that novel coronavirus is circulating in the community.”

New Ontario case

Meantime, officials in Ontario confirmed another presumptive case of COVID-19 in Toronto. It is a woman who arrived from China on Friday.

The province says it’s unlikely that the woman was infectious and that she followed protocols such as wearing a mask throughout her travels.

The WHO said on Sunday that there are more than 78,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in 28 countries.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Air Canada passenger flying from Montreal to Vancouver tested positive for COVID-19 – CTV News

Published

on


MONTREAL —
An Air Canada passenger travelling from Montreal to Vancouver on Valentine’s Day has tested positive for coronavirus.

The airline confirmed that it was advised Saturday by the BC Centre for Disease Control that a passenger tested positive for COVID-19.

“Air Canada is working with public health authorities and has taken all recommended measures,” Air Canada media relations spokesperson Pascale Dery wrote in an email.

Air Canada staff were informed of the incident in a memo sent to staff on Saturday. The memo states the passenger was travelling from Iran to Vancouver via Montreal.

“As per normal procedure, the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control advised us in order to follow the standard contact tracing procedures that are implemented any time a passenger is identified as having tested positive for any infectious disease,” it said. “The same procedures that are followed when we have a passenger diagnosed with much more infectious diseases such as measles or tuberculosis.”

“As per their procedures, BC CDC will contact only the crew serving the relevant section of the aircraft and the passengers travelling in the three rows immediately in front and behind the infected passenger. Although there will be no follow-up with our other crew as per the BC CDC, we’ve elected to advise the entire crew, as well as the pilots of that flight.”

The memo notes that risk of transmission of coronavirus is considered low and crew members from the flight are not required to be quarantined or to stop flying, but are advised to “self-monitor for 14 days beginning on the day of the flight and report any symptoms to their local public health professionals should they develop.”

Crew members can elect to stop flying during the 14 day period should they choose to do so.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

The Lotto Max Jackpot Just Hit $70 Million For The Second Time In History – Narcity

Published

on


Most of us are out there every day, on our hustle, getting that bread. Of course, we wouldn’t have to be if we won the lottery. With the Lotto Max Jackpot now sitting at $70 million for only the second time ever you might want to buy a ticket. 

The prize amount previously hit the $70 million mark in January. It was claimed by Adlin Lewis, a 49-year-old credit risk manager from Brampton. At the time, it was the largest lottery prize in Canadian history.

Now that amount has been matched again, and is up for grabs in the February 25 draw. With that much money, you could almost buy a house in Vancouver or Toronto (just kidding. Maybe like 20 houses).

To go along with this massive jackpot, there are also 20 Maxmillions prizes of $1 million each for the taking. 

This big number means no one took home the biggest amount of cash in last night’s draw. However, there were some otherwise impressive wins across Ontario.

Four winning tickets worth a million bucks each were sold in Burlington, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, and Toronto.

Two tickets worth slightly less at $500,000 each were picked up by some lucky people in St. Catharines and Haliburton County/Muskoka District.

A couple of second-place tickets, each paying out at the not-insignificant amount of $114,829.50 were sold in Brampton and Newmarket.

Finally, a couple of $100,000 Encore wins were sold both on the OLG website and in Toronto.

If you live in these cities and have bought a Lotto Max ticket recently, make sure to get it checked.

It could be a major winner, and you might be richer than you were yesterday.

Since September 2009, Lotto Max winners have racked up an impressive $5.2 billion worth of prizes, distributed over 68 jackpot and 590 Maxmillions wins.

To get in on the next draw, buy a ticket before 10:30 PM on February 25.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending