Connect with us

News

Legault says Quebec can’t take in more immigrants, after feds set 500K target by 2025

Published

 on

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault is maintaining that the province cannot accept more than 50,000 immigrants a year despite Ottawa’s plans to significantly raise the country’s immigration levels.

The federal government, Legault told reporters Wednesday, needs to understand that Quebec is facing a “special challenge” to preserve the French language.

His comments were in reaction to Ottawa’s announcement on Tuesday that it intends to welcome about 500,000 annual newcomers to Canada by 2025. By comparison, the Immigration Department said 405,000 permanent residents were admitted last year.

“Already at 400,000 there was a problem, so at 500,000 it’s even more so,” Legault said. “Already at 50,000 it is difficult to stop the decline of French.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday that immigration done correctly can help address labour shortages in Quebec and that Ottawa would be there to help the province create more economic growth.

“Quebec has long had the ability to increase its immigration thresholds,” Trudeau told reporters. “I know that every time I speak to business owners in Montreal or in the regions, they emphasize how important it is to counter the worker shortage.”

Quebec’s immigration agreement with Ottawa permits the province to welcome a percentage of newcomers equal to its demographic weight in the country — 23 per cent — which would be about 115,000 people should Canada accept 500,000 immigrants a year.

The highest number of annual immigrants the province can properly integrate is 50,000, Legault said, adding that even the most ambitious plan presented by a political party during the recent provincial election set a maximum target of 80,000 newcomers.

Later on Wednesday, Quebec Immigration Minister Christine Fréchette repeated that the province’s 50,000 number was firm.

“That will not change, no matter how many immigrants arrive elsewhere in Canada,” she told reporters.

Fréchette said she spoke with federal Immigration Minister Sean Fraser last week and reiterated the province’s position on wanting more powers from Ottawa over immigration; she said those discussions will continue.

“We will use all the levers at our disposal to attain the maximum percentage of immigrants who are francophone; this is essential for the sustainability of French,” Fréchette said.

The province’s immigration target is based on its ability to teach newcomers French, Fréchette said, adding that welcoming more people would aggravate the housing shortage.

Asked whether Quebec risked losing influence should its demographic weight decline, Fréchette said the province is relying on Trudeau’s commitment to maintain Quebec’s political clout within Canada.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 2, 2022.

 

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

News

15-year-old ATV driver dies in collision on New Brunswick highway

Published

 on

A 15-year-old driver of an all-terrain vehicle has died after a collision on a Moncton, N.B., highway.

The RCMP say they responded to a report of a crash between a parked vehicle and an ATV on Highway 2 on Thursday afternoon.

Police say they believe the 15-year-old boy was driving on the shoulder of the highway when he collided with the parked vehicle.

The teenager, who was the sole occupant of the ATV, was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and died the following day.

Police say the three people in the other vehicle were not injured.

RCMP did not release details of the speed the boy was driving at the time of the crash.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 19, 2024.

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Woman found dead in suitcase in Newfoundland; spouse found dead, suspected in killing

Published

 on

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – Police in St. John’s, N.L., say a woman’s body was found in a suitcase in the city’s downtown this week and her spouse — who was found dead a day prior — is suspected of killing her.

Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Const. James Cadigan says the 33-year-old Iranian woman’s body was discovered Tuesday night in a suitcase in a vacant lot. He says it had been placed in the area six days before.

Cadigan says her 34-year-old Iranian husband was found dead in his home on Monday.

He says police have not determined whether their deaths involve a murder-suicide, and he says the two “had no involvement” with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary prior to the discovery of their bodies.

Cadigan says the woman arrived in Newfoundland on May 15 and the man had been living in downtown St. John’s for several years.

Police are not releasing their names to protect their family’s privacy, and are looking for any information from the public about what happened.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 19, 2024.

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Pilot dead after ultralight plane crash northwest of Fredericton

Published

 on

 

FREDERICTON – The pilot of an ultralight plane died after the aircraft crashed in a cornfield about 25 kilometres northwest of Fredericton.

Ken Hodgson, fire chief of Keswick Valley Fire Department, says his team received a call at 11:33 a.m. about a crash in Burtts Corner, N.B., along Route 104, which links the province to Nova Scotia.

Hodgson says there were no other casualties.

Ambulance New Brunswick, the coroner’s office and RCMP also responded to the crash.

In a news release, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada says it deployed a team of investigators to an “aircraft accident near Fredericton.”

But the agency did not immediately respond to questions asking for details about the crash.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 19, 2024.

The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending