Friday’s Lotto Max draw could mean a very prosperous start to 2020 for some Montrealers, if they’re lucky.
The jackpot has reached a record high $70 million, and if Quebec’s lottery winning streak continues, there could be another multi-millionaire in the province, according to Loto Quebec.
“It’s $70 million, man,” laughed Patrice Lavoie, corporate director of Loto Quebec, who said he bought two tickets. “You gotta do what you gotta do.”
Elaine Walter was also feeling lucky. She stood in line in the lobby at the Loto Quebec offices to get tickets for her and a group of 14 friends.
“We’re are all doing it as a group so that we can all frig off from work,” she laughed. “I just want to be on an island somewhere and relax and enjoy life.”
According to Lavoie, the jackpot is a Canadian record. He explained that previously the cap was $60 million, but last May, that bar was lifted. He said the reason this draw is so high, is that nobody won the last big prize.
“Last draw it was $56 million,” he told Global News. “The draw before was $60 million but [nobody] won, so it goes up until $70 million.”
He added that there are also 10 draws of a million dollars each called Max Millions, “so you actually have 11 chances of becoming a millionaire tonight,” he winked.
According to Loto Quebec, the lottery made more than 100 new millionaires a year in the province since 2016. Lavoie said last year there were only 88 new millionaires in Quebec but, “the biggest jackpot was $65 million won last June by a family here in Quebec.”
He pointed out that winning a jackpot this big can be overwhelming, so they do have advisers to counsel winners.
“Take your time,” he said. “Don’t make any quick decisions and make sure you let the dust settle.”
Walter said she already has plans for what she’ll do if she strikes it rich.
“My 14 grandkids, seven great-grandkids will all benefit along with my four girls,” she said. “And at $70 million I think we can donate, so I think I’d like to donate and get a lot of homeless off the street.”
Now, all she can do is cross her fingers, and wait.
Cenovus-Husky deal to result in upward of 2150 layoffs – CTV Toronto
Officials with Cenovus Energy confirm the acquisition of Husky Energy will result in the elimination of between 20 and 25 per cent of the staff of the combined company.
Together, the companies currently have 8,600 employees and contractors, which means between 1,720 and 2,150 layoffs are planned.
According to Cenovus, the majority of the staffing cuts will occur in Calgary.
Cenovus announced it had purchased Husky on the weekend through a $3.8 billion share transaction. The deal is expected to be finalized in 2021.
Following the announcement of planned cuts at the combine company, Energy Minister Sonya Savage says there’s still reason for optimism regarding Alberta’s energy sector.
“Those who wish to see Canada’s energy sector shut down entirely will no doubt opportunistically seize upon today’s news,” said Savage in a statement. “But projections show continued global demand for fossil fuels well into the future. We believe that Canada should not cede that market to countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia.
“As companies across the globe navigate unprecedented economic times, job restructurings are an unfortunate reality of weathering the storm.
“As part of Alberta’s Recovery Plan, the Government focused on ensuring that the oil and gas sector is in a strong position for recovery, while also diversifying the economy to create new jobs.”
'Already struggling' Calgary downtown core will be hit hard by job cuts from Cenovus-Husky merger – National Post
Article content continued
“It’s an unfortunate thing, because, the timing being such, the pandemic has affected everyone in Calgary and certainly in Alberta,” Ball said. “For non-profits it means there’s been an increase in the demands for their services.”
It’s especially acute for the cultural non-profits, most of which are based downtown, she said.
“Of course people working downtown creates a vibrancy 5 to 7 and 7 beyond for bars and restaurants and also live in-person events and so the arts sector is tied to, in some ways, the vitality of the downtown core.”
Still, in spite of the doom and gloom, there are bright spots: On Monday, Suncor announced it would be relocating employees at its branch offices in the Toronto area to Calgary, essentially bringing 700 positions to Calgary.
“Yesterday, Suncor’s leadership spoke with our Downstream employees and let them know that over the course of 2021, we’d be moving our Downstream head office from Mississauga and Oakville to Calgary,” Suncor spokesperson Sneh Seetal said in an email.
Nenshi said that Suncor moving people to the city is good news, evidence of the city’s appealing real-estate market, compared to overheated business markets such as Toronto, something he hopes will bring even more business to the city.
“That’s really the pitch that we’re making to a lot of firms,” said Nenshi.
Woolley, for his part, also remains optimistic: “There is hope, I am a hopeful, optimistic Calgarian, I believe in our city, but it really does speak to the importance of us taking a look at economic diversification,” said Woolley.
With files from Geoffrey Morgan
UPDATE: 17 New COVID-19 Cases in Windsor-Essex – AM800 (iHeartRadio)
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is reporting 17 new cases of COVID-19 in our region.
Of the new cases, 12 are considered close contacts of confirmed cases. Further breaking that down, the health unit says nine of the 12 are household contacts of a confirmed case from the same household. Two other unrelated cases are close contacts of cases that visited from another jurisdiction and one case is a household contact from a different household.
According to the WECHU, the two households are not related to each other at this time.
Of the five remaining cases, three are community acquired and two are still being investigated.
There are still 44 active cases of COVID-19 in Windsor-Essex as well as outbreaks at two workplaces, one in the construction sector in Lakeshore and the food and beverage industry in Kingsville.
The health unit is not reporting any outbreaks at local schools, long-term care or retirement homes.
Meanwhile, the provincial government is reporting 827 cases of COVID-19. 355 new cases are in Toronto, 169 in Peel, 89 in York Region and 58 in Ottawa.
Council swayed by social media campaign – Cowichan Valley Citizen
2021 Draft: Power among Central Scouting's players to watch – NHL.com
iPhone 12 Models Might Support Reverse Charging of Future Apple Accessories According to FCC Filing – MacRumors
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Tech15 hours ago
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 review: the 1440p sweet spot – The Verge
- Politics23 hours ago
Latin American Politics
- Tech22 hours ago
iPhone 12 can act as 5GHz Wi-Fi hotspot, boon for 5G
- Health23 hours ago
Record 1440 new COVID cases in Alberta this weekend
- Art22 hours ago
Southern Alberta Art Gallery Is Honoured With A Blackfoot Naming Ceremony
- Investment22 hours ago
$200 bn investment in oil sector likely: PM
- News21 hours ago
Canada adds 2,531 new coronavirus cases, but new data shows record weekend surge
- Business22 hours ago
Cenovus Energy shares plummet on news of its $3.8B deal to buy Husky Energy