Connect with us

Health

Man in 80s with COVID-19 dies, marking Manitoba's 9th coronavirus-linked fatality – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A Manitoba man in his 80s with COVID-19 has died, marking the province’s ninth fatality connected to the illness.

The man was from the City of Portage la Prairie health district and was in intensive care, the province said in a news bulletin on Saturday.

His case was previously reported and linked to a known COVID-19 cluster, the bulletin said.

Manitoba’s last fatality linked to the illness was on July 22, when a man in his 70s in the Southern Health region died. He had not been previously hospitalized and was considered a new COVID-19 case, the province said at the time.

On Saturday, a spokesperson said the province will not release further details about Manitoba’s latest coronavirus-linked death — including when the man died, and which cluster his case was linked to — unless there’s a risk to public health, citing privacy and respect for the man’s family.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Twenty new cases of the illness were also announced in Manitoba on Saturday, bringing the province’s active caseload to 211.

Eleven of the new cases are in the Winnipeg health region, the bulletin said. Those cases involve several young people: a girl under the age of nine and two boys and a girl between 10 and 19. Those cases also include two men and a woman in their 20s, a man and a woman in their 30s, a woman in her 40s and a man in his 60s.

Preliminary investigations suggest that several of the new cases in Winnipeg are linked to travel or close contact with a known case of COVID-19, the bulletin said. More information will be released if there are any public health risks.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Another six of the new cases are in the province’s Southern Health region. They include a boy between 10 and 19, a woman in her 20s, a man in his 40s, a woman in her 50s, a man in his 60s and a woman in her 80s.

The remaining three cases are in the Prairie Mountain Health region: a woman in her 30s and two men in their 40s.

Nine people are now in hospital with COVID-19 in Manitoba, including three in intensive care. There have been 663 cases of the illness caused by the new coronavirus identified in Manitoba.

Test positivity rate rises

Manitoba’s test positivity rate rose to 1.49 per cent from 1.25 per cent on Friday.To date, 443 people have recovered from the illness.

On Friday, 1,791 more COVID-19 tests were completed in Manitoba, bringing the total number done in the province to 112,283.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Public health officials are still only recommending people with COVID-19 symptoms be tested for the illness, the bulletin said.

People who get sick should be tested as soon as possible once they start having symptoms, and employers should only send employees for testing if they have symptoms or if testing has been recommended by public health, the bulletin said.

Highest active caseload to date on Friday

On Friday, Manitoba announced 40 new cases of the illness caused by the new coronavirus, which brought the province’s active caseload to 246 — breaking its record for active cases and matching its previous record for the highest single-day jump in cases.

A COVID-19 cluster in Brandon, Man. has now reached at least 64 cases, making it one of the province’s largest outbreaks. As of Saturday, there were 43 known cases of the illness linked to the southwestern Manitoba city’s Maple Leaf Foods pork processing plant, according to the company.

The province also warned people on Friday about three possible COVID-19 exposures across Manitoba. One was at a Sobeys on Aug. 7, another was at the Cartwright Town and Country Golf Club on Aug. 9 and the third was at the Minnedosa Hospital on Aug. 10.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Here is Minnesota's COVID-19 update for Tuesday, September 29 – Bring Me The News

Published

 on


The death toll has reached 2,020.

Five more deaths has brought Minnesota’s COVID-19 death toll to 2,020. The newly reported deaths released by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) on Tuesday include one person each aged in their 60s, 70s and 80s, respectively, and two patients who were in their 90s. 

Of the 2,020 total deaths, 1,449 have been residents of long-term care, including two of the five newly reported cases Tuesday. 

Meanwhile, the number of COVID-19 patients currently hospitalized is unclear because the MDH stopped publicizing that data last Thursday. Instead, the MDH is only releasing new admissions to the hospital and ICU in its daily report, and on Tuesday it announced six new hospital admissions. There were also 20 new ICU admissions in Tuesday’s report. 

According to the state’s COVID-19 dashboard, the maximum ICU capacity of Minnesota’s hospitals is 2,158 – 1,071 of which are currently occupied (this is for all ailments, not just COVID-19). That’s an increase from 1,063 in Monday’s update. 

Tuesday’s update includes 817 new positive tests for the coronavirus, eight of which have been removed for an official count of 809 cases. Those positives are the result of 8,713 people tested, creating a 24-hour reporting period test positivity rate of 9.28%.

The positive test rate is lower from the perspective when the number of individuals producing positive tests (809) divided by total completed tests (15,257). In that case, the positivity rate is 5.30%.

The “tests completed” number is always higher than the “people tested” metric because some people get tested multiple times and those who test positive are only counted once, so it produces a less accurate positivity rate.

Coronavirus in Minnesota by the numbers:

  • Total tests: 2,017,350 (up from 2,003,115)
  • People tested: 1,406,578 (up from 1,397,865)
  • Positive cases: 98,447 (up from 97,638)
  • Deaths: 2,020 (up from 2,015) 
  • Hospitalized (cumulative): 7,633 (up from 7,627)
  • ICU admissions (cumulative: 2,129 (up from 2,109)
  • Patients no longer requiring isolation: 88,380 (up from 87,330)

There have also been 52 deaths where COVID-19 is listed by doctors as the “probable” cause, though it’s not included in the official COVID-19 death toll.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

105 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death as health officials urge B.C. to remember safety protocols – Golden Star

Published

 on


B.C. reported 105 new COVID-19 cases and one death over the past 24 hours in a joint statement released by health officials Tuesday (Sept. 29).

In the statement, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Deputy Health Minister Stephen Brown said there are currently 1,268 active cases, with 3,337 people under public health monitoring. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been 9,013 cases of COVID-19 and the death toll has reached 234. The most recent death was of a person in Fraser Health.

There are 69 people in hospital with the virus, 20 of whom are in ICU.

Officials said there is a new outbreak at Haro Park Centre long-term care facility in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, for a total of 14 health-care facilities with outbreaks at this time.

In their statement, health officials reminded British Columbians again that this fall will not look like that of years’ past.

“We have had to change our special celebrations and gatherings to keep the people we care about safe,” officials said. “This same approach is how we need to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. Rather than travelling to see friends or hosting a large family dinner, make it small this year and plan to connect virtually instead.”

The province also extended its state of emergency Tuesday, allowing the province to continue using its expanded powers under the Emergency Program Act. B.C. has been in a state of emergency since March due to the COVID-19 crisis.

ALSO READ: National child-care plan could help Canada rebound from COVID-induced economic crisis: prof

VIDEO: Ottawa unveils guidelines, deal for rapid COVID-19 tests as calls for approval mount


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

105 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death as health officials urge B.C. to remember safety protocols – Nelson Star

Published

 on


B.C. reported 105 new COVID-19 cases and one death over the past 24 hours in a joint statement released by health officials Tuesday (Sept. 29).

In the statement, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Deputy Health Minister Stephen Brown said there are currently 1,268 active cases, with 3,337 people under public health monitoring. Since the beginning of the pandemic, there have been 9,013 cases of COVID-19 and the death toll has reached 234. The most recent death was of a person in Fraser Health.

There are 69 people in hospital with the virus, 20 of whom are in ICU.

Officials said there is a new outbreak at Haro Park Centre long-term care facility in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, for a total of 14 health-care facilities with outbreaks at this time.

In their statement, health officials reminded British Columbians again that this fall will not look like that of years’ past.

“We have had to change our special celebrations and gatherings to keep the people we care about safe,” officials said. “This same approach is how we need to celebrate Thanksgiving this year. Rather than travelling to see friends or hosting a large family dinner, make it small this year and plan to connect virtually instead.”

The province also extended its state of emergency Tuesday, allowing the province to continue using its expanded powers under the Emergency Program Act. B.C. has been in a state of emergency since March due to the COVID-19 crisis.

ALSO READ: National child-care plan could help Canada rebound from COVID-induced economic crisis: prof

VIDEO: Ottawa unveils guidelines, deal for rapid COVID-19 tests as calls for approval mount


@katslepian

katya.slepian@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Want to support local journalism during the pandemic? Make a donation here.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending