Connect with us

Health

Manitoba sees 16 new coronavirus cases Monday, province seeing indication of community transmission: Roussin – Global News

Published

on


Manitoba health officials reported 16 new cases of COVID-19 Monday and said the province is seeing early indications of community transmission.

The new lab-confirmed and probable cases reported Monday include 11 people in the Prairie Mountain Health region and five people in southern Manitoba. They bring the province’s total of known cases identified since March to 558.

Read more:
Manitoba sees 35 new cases of coronavirus Sunday

As of Monday six people are in hospital, including three on intensive care. Of the 558 known infections, 196 cases are still active, while 354 people have recovered. Eight people have died.

Story continues below advertisement

Like the 35 new cases reported Sunday, health officials said many of the cases reported Monday appear linked to known clusters in the Southern Health health region and the city of Brandon or are close contacts of a previously announced case, the province said there may be a small number of cases of unknown acquisition in those areas.

Manitoba’s chief provincial officer of health, Dr. Brent Roussin, said Monday the cluster of cases in Brandon has grown to 64 cases, and added province is now seeing the early stages of community transmission.

Read more:
Health Canada recalls Manitoba distillery’s hand sanitizer

“There are small numbers of cases with unknown acquisition, which we would determine to be community-based transmission,” he said.

Roussin has previously said the cases in Brandon are all linked to one person who returned to the western Manitoba city from eastern Canada and did not properly self-isolate.

Story continues below advertisement

An outbreak of cases at the Brandon Maple Leaf Foods plant continues, Roussin said, with four more cases identified there Monday.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The new cases bring the total number of employees who have tested positive at the plant to 22 since the first weekend of August.

Read more:
16 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Manitoba Saturday

While the union representing workers at the plant has called for its closure, Maple Leaf has so far decided against the idea.

On Monday Roussin said the latest cases from the plant are self-isolating, and contact tracing is underway to identify close contacts. He said there is no evidence of transmission within the plant.

“The company is going beyond public health recommendations and is having a larger number of workers self-isolating than what was recommending by public health,” he said. “In addition, many other protocols have been put in place, including workers being cohorted.”






1:42
Coronavirus: Manitoba reports 35 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths


Coronavirus: Manitoba reports 35 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths

A handful of restaurants in Brandon, including a Tim Hortons and a McDonald’s, have also closed after employees tested positive for the virus.

Story continues below advertisement

Health officials said 1,365 lab tests for COVID-19 in Manitoba Sunday, bringing the total number of tests done for the virus in the province since early February to 103,872.

Roussin said Monday the best time to get tested for COVID-19 is 24 hours after symptoms show.

The advice on testing comes as long lines were reported Monday at the testing site in Brandon, something Health Minister Cameron Friesen said the province is aware of. He said there could be a second site opening at Keystone Centre in Brandon as early as Tuesday.

Manitoba had gone nearly half the month of July without reporting a single new case of the virus. But that streak ended July 14 when five new cases were identified. Since then 228 new cases have been reported in Manitoba.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Employee at Winnipeg Walmart tests positive for coronavirus

The increasing case counts follow the province’s latest relaxing of provincial health rules around the virus which kicked in July 25.

Under the Phase 4 of reopening  casinos, cinemas and theatres were allowed to reopen 30 per cent capacity. They followed previous loosening of restrictions which included allowing restaurants and bars to reopen with restrictions and the lifting of mandatory quarantine rules for travellers arriving in Manitoba from western provinces.






4:55
Coronavirus: 17 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba


Coronavirus: 17 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba

Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:

Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.

Story continues below advertisement

To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out. In situations where you can’t keep a safe distance from others, public health officials recommend the use of a non-medical face mask or covering to prevent spreading the respiratory droplets that can carry the virus. In some provinces and municipalities across the country, masks or face coverings are now mandatory in indoor public spaces.

For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Students to go into isolation after 1st COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto school – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health has asked two classes of elementary students to go into isolation after it declared an outbreak of COVID-19 at the school this week.

Two students have tested positive for the virus at Glen Park Public School, 101 Englemount Ave., near Lawrence Avenue West and Bathurst Street, in North York. The school runs from kindergarten to grade six.

The two infected students have been isolated to recover from their illness.

Of the classes that have been asked to go into isolation, one has 17 students while the other has 18 students, Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city’s medical officer of health told reporters at a city hall briefing on Friday.

All of the students have been asked to go home as they remain in isolation for 14 days. A teacher is isolating as well.

Ryan Bird, spokesperson for the Toronto District School Board, said in an email to CBC Toronto on Saturday that the students are in split grade 5/6 classes.

“At this point, Glen Park is the only outbreak at the TDSB,” Bird said.

According to De Villa, an school outbreak is defined by the province as at least two confirmed cases of COVID-19 within a 14-day period and with a link to a school setting.

“One of the realities of living in a world with COVID-19 is that there will be cases in schools,” de Villa said on Friday.

“Today’s news is expected. I expect there will be similar announcements in the future and you can be confident the steps developed to manage the situation and reduce the risk of spread will be followed.”

Parents have been notified in writing.

De Villa said the school is following all infection prevention and control measures closely. These measures include requiring students and staff to wear masks and enhanced cleaning of the school.

For a complete list of COVID-19 cases at TDSB schools, the board has created a COVID-19 Advisories webpage.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

SHA warns of COVID-19 exposure at 3 Saskatoon businesses – CKOM News Talk Sports

Published

on


The Saskatchewan Health Authority is warning people in Saskatoon about a potential COVID-19 exposure at three businesses.

A person or group of people were likely infectious with the coronavirus while being at Walmart Supercentre on 225 Betts Avenue on Sept. 19 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., Planet Fitness at Market Mall on Sept. 22 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. and KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive on Sept. 23 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Health officials are asking anyone who was at these locations during the noted dates and times to monitor for symptoms for 14 days and call HealthLine 811 to arrange for testing if symptoms develop.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Protest being held to ‘end the lockdown’ in downtown Toronto – 680 News

Published

on


Over a hundred people gathered at Yonge-Dundas Square Saturday afternoon, many without masks and with little social distancing, calling for an end to the lockdown.

A group on Facebook called “The Line” appeared to be the organizers of the event, which they called the “March for Freedom.”

The protesters are currently walking up Yonge Street towards Bloor Street.

Police are assisting in directing traffic elsewhere to allow for them to pass safely.

Ontario is currently in Stage 3 of their COVID-19 reopening plan, with most businesses allowed to be open.

However, the province has recently introduced new restrictions for bars and restaurants and social gatherings have also been limited to 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending