Connect with us

Media

Media outlets wait for August court decision on Coutts, Alta. warrant details – Global News

Published

 on


A decision on whether or not media outlets can obtain and publish information in a redacted version of four Coutts, Alta., blockade search warrants is scheduled for Aug. 26.

Thirteen people were arrested and charged with various weapons and mischief offences after an RCMP raid revealed a cache of weapons, ammunition and body armour near the Coutts border blockade site on Feb. 14. Christopher Lysak, Anthony Olienick, Jerry Mitchell Morin and Chris Carbert are also each charged with conspiracy to commit murder against RCMP officers.

Five Canadian media outlets — CBC, Global News, CTV, the Globe and Mail, and Postmedia — as well as the New York Times were represented in court on Tuesday in their bid to have the information that led to the charges against Lysak, Olienick, Morin and Carbert unsealed.

Read more:

Setting of trial dates for 4 men accused in Coutts blockade delayed until July 11

Tess Layton, a lawyer for the media outlets, told a Lethbridge court it is important that the administration of justice is open and transparent, saying the evidence used to obtain the warrants should be made available to the public.

The media must be able to challenge any restriction of freedom of expression rights and there is no evidence this will pose a serious risk to the ongoing investigation or the trial, Layton said.


Click to play video: 'Weapons and ammunition seized at border blockade in Coutts, Alberta'



2:45
Weapons and ammunition seized at border blockade in Coutts, Alberta


Weapons and ammunition seized at border blockade in Coutts, Alberta – Feb 14, 2022

Lawyers for the accused, however, said the unsealing of the documents will compromise the right to a fair trial for the accused.

Lawyer Alias Amelia Sanders said the publication of the search warrants puts a one-sided case before the public and poses a serious risk to the proper administration of justice. Sanders is also seeking a publication ban on the information contained in the search warrants but an application for the ban was not brought to the judge on Tuesday.

Read more:

Bail denied for protester charged in southern Alberta border blockade

Joanne Person, one of the accused who is representing herself, raised concerns about potential negative consequences if the documents are unsealed. Person argued that a publication ban will ensure that the judge and jury will not be “tainted” with “media exploitation” before a trial takes place.

Person also said she was unable to look at the documents, saying she was barred from doing so by the courthouse for not being a lawyer.

Crown prosecutor Steve Johnston raised concerns about the New York Times’ application because it is a U.S.-based publication, saying a workaround needs to be in place to make sure the newspaper doesn’t violate the publication ban.

Johnston also said there are many search warrants and documents the Crown isn’t aware of, referring to a large cache of evidence related to the case.

Read more:

Man charged with conspiracy to commit murder at Alberta border going directly to trial

Johnston also cautioned Person to be careful with her words because anything she says in court can be used against her. Earlier in the hearing, Person said she provided Coutts border protesters with a place to shower and do laundry.

The judge said the case requires a high level of scrutiny, especially regarding Lysak’s, Olienick’s, Morin’s and Carbert’s warrants. Copies of the redacted warrants will be provided to all lawyers and to Person for review but the information cannot be published.

A line-by-line review of the warrants to determine what will be redacted is scheduled for Oct. 11.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Children Are Increasingly Facing Cyberbullying On Social Media – Forbes

Published

 on


Social media is increasingly how many younger people communicate these days, but according to a new report from McAfee, there has been an increase of cyberbullying on the platforms. What is especially worrisome is that it isn’t just teens who are coming under attack, as racist attacks are being directed at children as young as 10-years-old.

In addition, more than one in four kids globally now face some form of racism on social media; while online sexual harassment is also impacting one in every six children globally. One in every five U.S. kids is now victim of such harassment, and in India the number is as great as one in three.

More Than Stranger Danger

What is also notable is that the threat of cyberbullying is increasingly coming from someone who the children may know personally. Globally, 58 percent of children said they were victimized by someone they know, with just 46 saying they had been cyberbullied by a stranger.

Children are also more worried than ever that they may be bullied online. Currently, six in 10 kids globally said they were more worried about cyberbullying than last year. The “good news” – if it can even be called that – is that 71 percent of children have told their parents they had experienced cyberbullying.

Are The Platforms Doing Enough?

Even as the platforms have strived attempted to improve safety, some are doing more than others. Meta apparently still has work to do, as the respondents to the McAfee survey said that cyberbullying occurs more than twice as often when comparing social media platforms like Meta’s Facebook to Twitter—and more than four times the rate when comparing Meta’s messaging app WhatsApp to Discord.

Facebook had been found to lead the way with the highest rate of children both witnessing (53 percent) and experiencing (50 percent) cyberbullying worldwide, with Instagram coming in at a close second with witnessing cyberbullying at 40 percent and experiencing cyberbullying at 30 percent.

McAfee has noted that while more than half of parents are talking to their children about different forms of cyberbullying, there is still vastly more that needs to be done to understand the growing threat of online safety for children. What remains a concern is that children may not consider behaviors such as jokes and name-calling to be harmful online – and perhaps may go further than they might when compared to an in-person exchange.

“Despite having some of the most engaged parents, children in the U.S. experience among the highest rates of cyberbullying in its most extreme forms, such as sexual harassment, compromised privacy, and personal attacks,” said Gagan Singh, McAfee executive vice president and chief product officer.

“It’s no surprise that globally we’ve reached the point in the adoption curve where social media is integrated into all areas of our lives – adults and children alike,” Singh explained via an email. “It is especially important to understand how daily social media interactions across platforms impact our children. This data clearly shows where, how, and at what frequency children are experiencing cyberbullying online globally, giving parents the knowledge to help their children stay safe wherever they live and on whatever platform they use.”

Of course it should be noted that adults are hardly good role models on the platforms. In recent years, social media has become an echo chamber that is used to amplify political sentiment and to tear down the other side. Given this fact, many adult users have become bad role models for their children.

It is well-past time that these platforms return to being about the social.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Social media model arrested in Hawaii on murder charge – The Globe and Mail

Published

 on


Law enforcement in Hawaii on Wednesday arrested social media model Courtney Clenney on a charge of second-degree murder with a deadly weapon.

Hawaii County police said in a statement they assisted the U.S. Marshals Service as they arrested the 26-year-old in Laupahoehoe, which is on the Big Island. Officers used an arrest warrant issued by Miami-Dade County, Florida.

She’s being held at the East Hawaii Detention Center while she waits for her initial court appearance in Hilo District Court on Thursday, police said.

Her Miami defense lawyer, Frank Prieto, told the Miami Herald that she was in Hawaii while in rehabilitation for substance abuse and post-traumatic stress disorder.

“I’m completely shocked, especially since we were cooperating with the investigation and offered to voluntarily surrender her if she were charged,” Prieto said. “We look forward to clearing her name in court.”

Our Morning Update and Evening Update newsletters are written by Globe editors, giving you a concise summary of the day’s most important headlines. Sign up today.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

10 Year Old Actor Sebastian Singh Makes His Toronto International Film Festival Debut in Clement Virgo Film “BROTHER”

Published

 on

10 Year Old Actor Sebastian Singh Makes His Toronto International Film Festival Debut in Clement Virgo Film

Toronto, ON – Sebastian Singh will appear in his first feature film at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival. (TIFF) The ten-year-old actor will play the younger version of the Lamar Johnson’s lead character Michael in Clement Virgo’s “Brother.”   “Brother” makes its world premiere at TIFF in September. The film is the story of Francis and Michael, sons of Caribbean immigrants maturing into young men amidst Toronto’s pulsing 1990’s hip-hop scene and the mystery that unfolds setting off a series of events which changes the course of the brothers’ lives forever.  Sebastian is excited and honoured to be a part of this film and to attend TIFF.

Sebastian Singh is a talented ten-year-old with a bright future ahead of him and an already established work ethic.
The multi-talented young actor has established himself as a new up and coming talent to watch for in the Film and TV industry in Canada. Sebastian was a part of the award-winning PSA Sick kids Mom vs Hard days, has appeared in the popular television series, Suits, Margaret Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale and Left for Dead: The Ashley Reeves Story, for Lifetime.  Sebastian is also an award-winning filmmaker for the short film H.E.N.R.I, which he co-wrote, produced, and played the lead with his twin sister Ava and father, Ryan Singh.
Everyone agrees, Sebastian Singh’s star is on the rise and can’t wait for what’s next.
**Sebastian is represented by Annie Oakes of Glickman
Alexander Talent Management
Media Inquiries:

 

Sasha Stoltz Publicity: 

Sasha Stoltz | Sasha@sashastoltzpublicity.com | 416.579.4804 

Continue Reading

Trending