Media revolution gains pace
Special report: Digital disruption threatens to make extinct content companies which are unable or unwilling to evolve
Businesses with antiquated practices harking back to the previous century have to work harder to catch up with fast-changing digital technology, experts say.
They might become “extinct” if they fail to abandon their dated working mindset to catch up with trends, according to media and technology experts.
The warning, raised by Suchatvee Suwansawat, president of King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang, is another wake-up call for companies who have survived into 2020 despite the odds, though the warning comes a bit too late for several digital TV operators who have gone under.
They were squeezed out of a once profitable industry by online content producers who have snatched a greater share of ad earnings amid the rise of the mobile internet. Last year they shut their stations down permanently.
Even giant Channel 3, whose broadcasts always achieve high ratings, bowed to tough competition by terminating two of its three digital channels.
“In fact, we don’t know who are our real rivals,” Mr Suchatvee said when considering its competitors in both its online and offline businesses.
Comparing the disruptions and uncertainties in the digital age with the damage and pressure of World War II and the Cold War, the geotechnical engineer said that the present was potentially scarier as the impacts on future generations are as yet unimaginable.
Businesses and customers alike do not know what will happen next, Mr Suchatvee said.
Search engine titan Google, and e-commerce heavyweights like Amazon and Alibaba, have gained the upper hand in technology-driven businesses, and artificial intelligence (AI) may be a game-changer, he said.
New York-based JPMorgan Chase & Co is devising a plan to cut staff and let AI and its peripheral computer networks devise the firm’s financial solutions.
“AI is shaking up human careers with its precision and impartiality,” Mr Suchatvee said.
Executives at BEC World, operator of Channel 3, have urged employees to adjust their routines to better suit audiences.
The company says it wants staff to develop new habits so they can “work faster and produce content on TV and other online platforms”.
Nevertheless, research by Thammasat Institute of Area Studies surveyed 10,000 householders countrywide and found nearly 86% of them still enjoy watching TV.
Researchers also found audiences tend not to be media brand loyalists but will spend time on whatever content they like. News agencies are aware of the power of content to attract viewers but some, identified only as mainstream media, have gone in the wrong direction, media experts say.
They produce “sensational and even exaggerated stories” to better compete with online media, but this has led to fresh concern over fake news, media observers say.
In response, the Digital Economy and Society Ministry has to set up the first-ever anti-fake news centre to warn people against false information.
So, the media is required to come up with new strategies to survive or else lay-offs may be inevitable, according to observers.
Last year, BEC World was forced to release some employees following its decision to run only one TV channel. The only mitigation it could offer those who lost their jobs was slightly better compensation than that stipulated by labour law.
It is estimated that last year, over 1,000 jobs were lost in media as a result of digital disruption.
Social Media Buzz: Trump Casts Ballot, SpaceX Launch, McBroken – BNN
(Bloomberg) — What’s buzzing on social media this morning:
A mask-wearing President Donald Trump cast his ballot in person in West Palm Beach, Florida, Saturday morning. “I voted for a guy named Trump,” he told reporters.
Brooklyn Museum is trending as people share photos of long lines, hours before early voting started in New York state.
SpaceX is targeting to launch Starlink this morning after delaying it from Oct. 22 to allow more time for mission assurance work. The weather today is 60% favorable, the company said in a tweet. Projected launch time is 11:31 a.m. EDT.
Former Fox News host and Trump loyalist Kimberly Guilfoyle, who was recently accused of sexual harassment, put her Manhattan apartment overlooking Central Park up for sale for about $5 million, Daily Mail reported. The pad, formerly “a taxidermist’s dream,” was transformed by Guilfoyle, who dates Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son.
A McDonald’s fan, who earlier failed to order an ice cream due to an out-of-service machine, created a website called McBroken.com to track which locations’ McFlurry machines are broken. The fast-food chain said it’s “exciting to see customer passion translate into customer-innovated solutions.”
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Nunavut politicians vote to remove minister from cabinet over social media post – Lethbridge News Now
Before casting their ballots, some members made statements on the motion.
“It is up to us, everyone in this room, to show our commitment, to stand up against racism and gender violence. Now is that time,” Savikataaq told the assembly.
“Black lives matter. Indigenous lives matter. Women’s rights are human rights.”
Iqaluit-Manirajak MLA Adam Arreak Lightstone, who seconded the motion, thanked Savikataaq for his “swift action” to remove Netser.
“Freedom of expression does not equal freedom from consequence. The fact that the minister is still defending his position leads me to believe that there is no remorse,” Lightstone said.
In his statement, Netser apologized to the Black community but said his comments were not based on racism or gender violence.
“My reference to ‘all lives matter’ was certainly not stated in that context. And I would not have chosen these words if I knew they could be misconstrued as attempting to negate the struggles of my Black brothers and sisters,” Netser said.
Netser also said the Facebook post was an example of free speech.
“I understand that all lives cannot matter, if Black lives don’t matter. But my post on social media was meant to bring light to those without voices, the unborn,” he said.
“I did not make those statements in the house and I did not make them as a member of the executive council, but as an Inuk that values life.”
Netser also read a letter of support into the record from a friend, which questions whether people who criticize the government will be “picked up and shipped into the dark of the night to one of the many new internment camps across Canada.”
The letter also claims the federal government pays Canadian news media and mind control is imposed on people who speak out against the government.
Netsilik MLA Emiliano Qirngnuq told the assembly he would not support the motion to oust Netser because “we do have an expression of freedom” in Canada.
“We have to think about our children and the future of our children. We have to deeply reflect on our society’s values into the future,” Qirngnuq said
Justice Minister Jeannie Ehaloak told the assembly Netser’s comments were concerning. And politicians can’t say whatever they want, if their words have a negative impacts on people.
Speaking to reporters after the vote, Savikataaq said the decision to remove Netser was not easy but had to be made.
Because Nunavut has a consensus-style government, only a full caucus can remove cabinet members.
Netser, who represents Coral Harbour and Naujaat, is to stay on as an MLA.
A leadership forum is expected to take place next week to select Netser’s replacement in cabinet.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 23, 2020.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian press News Fellowship
Emma Tranter, The Canadian Press
Britain's Prince Charles wrote to support historic Australian PM sacking: media – TheChronicleHerald.ca
SYDNEY (Reuters) – Britain’s Prince Charles sent a hand-written letter of support to Australia’s governor general in 1976, backing his controversial sacking of Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, local media reported on Saturday.
The letter, published on Saturday by The Australian newspaper, is dated four months after Queen Elizabeth’s representative in Australia, John Kerr, took the unprecedented step to dismiss Whitlam without first warning the palace or the prime minister.
“Please don’t lose heart,” the heir to the British throne wrote in the hand-written letter to Kerr on Mar. 27.
“What you did last year was right and the courageous thing to do — and most Australians seemed to endorse your decision when it came to the point.”
The letter was revealed in an extract of a book “The Truth of the Palace Letters: Deceit, Ambush and Dismissal in 1975” by Paul Kelly and Troy Bramston, due to be published next month.
Whitlam’s firing remains one of the country’s most polarising political events because it represented an unmatched level of intervention by the Commonwealth.
Historians say the country was never told the full story behind Whitlam’s removal during a political deadlock over the Budget and in 2016, one historian sued Australia’s National Archives for access to letters between Kerr and the Queen.
In July, the 211 so-called “palace letters” were published, pulling the veil from one of the great mysteries of Australian politics, and re-igniting a conversation about whether the country should cut ties with Britain and become a republic.
(Reporting by Paulina Duran; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)
Only state investment can revive Britain's zombie economy – The Guardian
Toronto Real Estate: Rental Prices Continue to Go Down – RE/MAX News
The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada – NEWS 1130 – News 1130
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Art23 hours ago
Revival House mural part of local push for more public-art projects in Stratford – The Beacon Herald
- Science21 hours ago
Another Passenger Arrives at Victoria Airport Carrying COVID-19 – My Cowichan Valley Now
- Art22 hours ago
Rhiannon Giddens on making art during a pandemic, and how music bridges divides – CBC.ca
- Media15 hours ago
Grieving Paradise mother finds strength by writing social media blog – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- News15 hours ago
Landmark settlement is a message to Canadian companies extracting resources overseas: Amnesty International
- Sports19 hours ago
Why Is The Popularity Of Online Casinos On The Internet Increasing?
- Sports18 hours ago
Is Khabib Nurmagomedov's speedy scale at UFC 254 the latest UFC weigh-in controversy? – MMA Fighting
- Investment15 hours ago
Car Insurance for Canadian