Connect with us

Media

Mom enlists social media help to find toy for her 4-year-old son – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A P.E.I. mom is feeling beyond grateful for the help she received trying to find a Ghostbusters car toy for her 4-year-old son.  

Andrea Donaldson says her son Tre is on the autism spectrum and has obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD. Tre lives for anything Ghostbusters and Donaldson was worried neither she nor Santa would be able to find a toy for him. 

“He wanted this Ghostbuster car for months and months and months,” said Donaldson.

Donaldson said she lives with anxiety, and when she was recently chatting with her son while putting him to bed, she really started to get worried. 

Donaldson holds the car and pyjamas that were donated to her after she posted on Facebook about being worried she wouldn’t find her son what he wanted for Christmas. (Laura Meader/CBC)

“I’m thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, Christmas is in a few days and I don’t have the only thing Tre wanted,'” she said. 

She said she didn’t have luck looking in local stores and online prices were very high, with no guarantee they would be delivered in time.

Donaldson shares 11 children with her fiancé, with five living at home, so she said they have to watch their Christmas budget as well. 

Social media leaves mom in tears

Donaldson put out a call out on Facebook, which was shared more than 100 times and resulted in someone donating a car to her. 

“I only expected my local friends to be like, ‘Have you checked here or there,’ type thing,” she said. 

Donaldson said she cried several times reading all the replies. 

“Seeing everyone come together for my little boy, it was just really amazing,” said Donaldson.

Donaldson said within an hour, a woman was offered her a car and another person offered a pair of Ghostbusters pyjamas. Friends also helped her to get the items, which were in different communities in P.E.I. 

‘Happy to pass it along’

The woman who donated the Ghostbusters car is Keri Deveaux, who describes herself as a Ghostbusters fan as well. 

She said she saw the post and instantly thought about the car she had that her kids no longer played with — so she reached out to Donaldson. 

“It felt really good, she was so appreciative of the fact that we had the car and we were willing to give it to her,” said Deveaux.

The Ghostbusters car donated to the 4-year-old P.E.I. boy. (Submitted by Andrea Donaldson)

She said it felt good to make someone’s Christmas special. 

Donaldson said the toy was really the only thing her son wanted and it’s a huge relief to have tracked it down to help Santa. 

“There’s a lot of Christmas spirit on the island,” she said.

Donaldson said it means the world to her and she said the donations will make her son’s Christmas morning. 

“The whole island just came together for him,” she said. 

More from CBC P.E.I. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

China rescues first person from Shandong gold mine: state media – The Guardian

Published

 on


By Dominique Patton

BEIJING (Reuters) – Chinese rescuers pulled 11 gold miners to safety on Sunday, 14 days after they were trapped by an underground explosion, state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Footage showed the first miner to be rescued, a black blindfold across his eyes, being lifted out of a mine shaft in the morning.

The miner was extremely weak, CCTV said on its Weibo site. Rescue workers wrapped the barely responsive man in a blanket before taking him to hospital by ambulance.

Over the next few hours, 10 miners from a different section of the mine, who had been receiving food and supplies from rescue workers last week, were brought out in batches.

One was injured but several of the others were shown walking, supported by rescue workers and wearing black cloth over their eyes, before leaving the site in ambulances.

Twenty-two workers were trapped about 600 metres (2,000 feet) underground in the Hushan mine by the Jan. 10 blast in Qixia, a major gold-producing region under the administration of Yantai in coastal Shandong province.

One miner has died.

Officials said on Thursday it could take another two weeks to clear “severe blockages” before they could drill shafts to reach the group of 10 who had been receiving supplies of food from the rescue team.

State media said earlier however that the more than 600 rescuers on site were hoping to reach the men in the mine’s fifth section on Sunday.

The men were said to be in good physical condition and had been receiving normal food since Saturday, after several days of living off nutrient solutions, according to Xinhua.

Interactive graphic of mine rescue: https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-ACCIDENT/MINE/xklvylmnbpg/index.html

Graphic: Explosion in a gold mine in northern China’s Shandong province https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-ACCIDENT/MINE/yxmpjynakvr/CHINA-MINE.jpg

(Reporting by Dominique Patton; Editing by Tom Hogue, Robert Birsel and Wiliam Mallard)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

China rescues first person from Shandong gold mine: state media – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


BEIJING (Reuters) – A gold miner was rescued in northern China on Sunday morning and rushed to hospital for treatment, state broadcaster CCTV reported, with footage showing the exhausted miner, a black blindfold across his eyes, being lifted out of a mine shaft.

The miner was “extremely weak”, CCTV said on its Weibo site. Rescue workers wrapped the barely responsive man – who had been trapped 14 days after a mine explosion – in a blanket before taking him away in an ambulance.

Twenty-two workers were trapped in the Hushan mine by the Jan. 10 blast in Qixia, a major gold-producing region under the administration of Yantai in coastal Shandong province.

One miner has died and 11 have not been in contact with rescue teams, according to a Xinhua report from last week.

The rescued miner was found in a different section of the mine from a group of 10 men who have been receiving supplies of food. Officials said on Thursday it could take another two weeks to clear “severe blockages” before they could drill shafts to reach the 10 men.

The People’s Daily reported on its news app, however, that rescuers were hoping to reach the 10 men in the mine’s 5th section on Sunday, citing the military.

Graphic: Explosion in a gold mine in northern China’s Shandong province https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-ACCIDENT/MINE/yxmpjynakvr/CHINA-MINE.jpg

(Reporting by Dominique Patton; Editing by Tom Hogue)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

China rescues first person from Shandong gold mine: state media – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


BEIJING (Reuters) – A miner was rescued from a gold mine in northern China on Sunday morning and rushed to hospital for treatment, state broadcaster CCTV said, after being trapped 14 days below ground by an explosion.

The miner was “extremely weak”, according to a post on CCTV’s Weibo microblog site. TV footage showed the exhausted miner, a black blindfold across his eyes, being lifted out of the mine shaft and covered in a blanket before being carried away by rescue workers.

Twenty-two workers were trapped in the Hushan mine by the Jan. 10 blast in Qixia, a major gold-producing region under the administration of Yantai in coastal Shandong province.

One miner has died and 11 have not been in contact with rescue teams, according to a Xinhua report from last week.

The rescued miner was found in a different section of the mine from a group of 10 men who have been receiving supplies of food.

Officials said on Thursday it could take another two weeks to clear “severe blockages” before they could drill shafts to reach the 10 men.

(Reporting by Dominique Patton; Editing by Tom Hogue)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending