Howard Ruston was driving by when he saw people crowding to the river. At first he thought it was a stump in the water.
Then he realized what they were seeing.
“I thought, wow, I have to park and get over there and videotape this or get some pictures or something because how many times do you ever see a moose plotting down the South Saskatchewan River?” he said.
Ruston, who has been dabbling in photography for about a year and a half, says this sighting is high on his list of animals he’s seen — even if he only had his cellphone to film it with.
“I was just in shock and amazed,” he said.
Steve Dobko is an inspector with the Conservation Officer Service in Saskatoon. He said seeing moose swim like in the video is common, and he saw a few reports of incidents like this over the summer.
He said they frequent marshes and wetlands in Saskatchewan, and they’re designed to be able to swim in water.
This summer saw fewer moose finding their way into the city than past years, Dobko said, with only about 15 sightings, and four moose had to be relocated out of the city.
“Movement of wildlife, including moose, increases in the fall,” he warned.
“If you’re travelling in Saskatchewan this time of year you’ve got to be vigilant when you’re travelling around dusk and in the evening … boaters need to be vigilant, and be careful on the highways.”
People encountering moose or other big game animals should not get closer, he said.
If someone sees a moose within city limits they’re asked to contact the Saskatoon conservation office or TIPP hotline.
Source: – Global News
Sept. 26 update: No new cases found in Nova Scotia for fourth day in row – The Telegram
Nova Scotia continues to have only one active case of COVID-19, as provincial authorities announced on Saturday morning that no new cases were identified in the latest round of testing.
That brings the streak of no new cases to four consecutive days.
Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs completed 1,131 Nova Scotia tests on Friday, the provincial news release said.
To date, the province has 91,459 negative test results, 1,087 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths. One person, an essential worker in the Western zone, is hospitalized in ICU.
To date, Nova Scotia has 90,719 negative COVID-19 TEST results,1,087 positives, 1,021 resolved cases and 65 deaths.
Visit https://811.novascotia.ca to determine if you should call 811 for further assessment if in the past 48 hours you have had, or you are experiencing fever (i.e. chills/sweats) or cough (new or worsening).
Also take the 811 survey if you have two or more of the following symptoms (new or worsening):
- sore throat
- runny nose/ nasal congestion
- shortness of breath
COVID-19: Quebec reports nearly 700 new cases as infections continue to surge amid beginning of second wave – Global News
Health authorities reported 698 new confirmed COVD-19 cases on Saturday as the number of infections continues to surge in Quebec.
Seven more deaths were also reported, which occurred between Sept. 19 and 24. This brings the total COVID-19 death toll to 5,821 in the province.
Hospitalizations have gone up by 18 in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 217 — 45 of which are in intensive care (up two from Friday).
According to public health’s latest data, 33,148 tests were conducted on Sept. 24. Quebec has so far administered 2,233,455 tests since the beginning of the health crisis.
Quebec has seen 71,005 positive novel coronavirus cases since the beginning of the pandemic.
Quebec asks citizens to stop social gatherings to ‘break’ second coronavirus wave
On Friday Quebec health officials asked all citizens to limit their social gatherings for 28 days as the number of novel coronavirus cases and hospitalizations continue to increase amid the second wave of the pandemic.
“We’re asking you for a month of effort to break the second wave,” said Health Minister Christian Dubé.
The plea comes as the province surpassed the grim milestone of 70,000 cases of COVID-19 on Sept. 25.
The government also raised the alert level to orange for the entire Greater Montreal area, including the north and south shores. The designation calls for moderate alert and tighter restrictions for 82 municipalities.
Dubé said the evolving situation in Montreal, which has been the epicentre of the virus’s outbreak in Canada, remains worrying as the second wave of the virus begins.
Quebec has not yet placed any regions in the red zone, the highest alert level which calls for stricter controls, but Dubé stressed everyone — regardless of where they live — must do their part to limit the spread of the virus and cap community transmission.
This means cancelling social outings such as dinners, parties and barbecues, he said, in order to avoid another surge in cases and a possible second lockdown. The government is not planning on closing bars or restaurants for now.
Dubé said the government is not planning on closing bars or restaurants for now, partly to avoid driving people to hold more private events.
–With files from Global News’ Kalina Laframboise
Coronavirus: Health minister urges Quebecers to cancel plans for gatherings
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Toronto Public Health orders 3 King Street West businesses to close to slow COVID-19 spread – CBC.ca
Toronto Public Health has ordered three establishments on King Street West to close to protect the public from COVID-19.
In a news release on Saturday, the public health unit said the establishments are:
- MARBL, 455 King St. W.
- King Taps, 100 King St. W.
- Casa Mezcal, 291 King St. W.
Dr. Eileen de Villa, the city’s medical officer of health, issued the orders to the three businesses on Friday night under Section 22 of the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
Toronto Public Health (TPH) said a fourth establishment will also be forced to close once it is served with the order. It was not named in the release.
“These closure orders were undertaken based on Toronto Public Health investigations, including contact tracing data, which has shown that each establishment has not taken the necessary steps to sufficiently protect both the public and employees from the spread of COVID-19,” the news release said.
The public health unit said it found that many people were connected to more than one of the three businesses. In some cases, people infected with COVID-19 worked at more than one of the locations.
One business in particular served food buffet style, which is prohibited under provincial regulations to slow the spread of COVID-19. Another business has been uncooperative with investigations and impeded the investigation.
“Staff have also been found to be working while ill or pressured to work while ill,” the news release said.
Toronto Mayor John Tory said in the release that enforcement officials identified the specific businesses and the city is taking action to slow the virus in the city.
“I hope this enforcement will ensure we are protecting employees and customers. Thankfully the vast majority of residents and businesses in our city are doing the right thing and following public health advice. We need that cooperation to continue so we can defeat this virus,” Tory said.
Coun. Joe Cressy, who represents Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York and is chair of the Toronto Board of Health, said the city is trying to prevent new cases and enforcement is needed now.
“New data shows that unsafe social activity at a select number of bars and nightclubs is contributing to the rise in COVID-19 cases in our city. That’s why our Medical Officer of Health is taking swift action to shut down four high-risk establishments until further notice,” Cressy said.
“Right now, we need to stop the spread of COVID and keep people safe, while also making it possible for kids to go to school, people to go to work and public services to operate safely.”
Sept. 26 update: No new cases found in Nova Scotia for fourth day in row – The Telegram
NASA Astronaut Will Vote From Space – KCCU
China is on a construction binge and that's good news for the global economy – Economic Times
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Art23 hours ago
Novelist Ali Smith Finds Art for All Seasons
- Tech21 hours ago
Apple Watch Series 3 vs Apple Watch SE: Which should you buy?
- Health20 hours ago
Toronto's top doctor orders closure of four businesses over concerns about transmission of COVID-19 – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
- Media23 hours ago
State Department revoked award for journalist over social media posts critical of Trump and lied about it, watchdog finds
- Health13 hours ago
Toronto’s top doctor issues ‘warning to the entire city’ as new cases surpass 200 in single day
- News23 hours ago
Today’s coronavirus news: Federal deficit hits $148.6 billion; Ford announces tougher COVID-19 restrictions as 409 new cases reported – Toronto Star
- Science15 hours ago
Covid-19 Newmarket, York Region, and Ontario update
- Economy22 hours ago
An economist explains what COVID-19 has done to the economy – World Economic Forum