Mpox in Toronto: Four new cases detected in 24-hour period
Toronto Public Health is reminding residents at risk of catching mpox to get vaccinated “as soon as possible” after four new cases of the viral illness were reported over a 24-hour period last week.
The cluster of new cases reported on Jan. 27 comes after months without any new infections in Toronto.
In fact, the most recent report released by Public Health Ontario showed that there were no new cases of mpox, previously known as monkeypox, reported in the province from the end of October until Dec. 13.
Public Health Ontario has since discontinued regular reporting, citing the “steady decline in mpox cases.”
“After a period of no reported MPOX cases in Ontario, four new cases in a single day is concerning,” Dane Griffiths, director of the Gay Men’s Sexual Health Alliance, said in a news release. “Last summer, our community mobilized, got a first vaccine dose, and slowed the spread of MPOX. Let’s finish what we started and get the second vaccine dose, especially before travelling this winter.”
Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore previously said that mpox activity peaked in the province in July and had been trending down.
However, it its release Toronto Public Health pointed out that “the virus continues to circulate.”
In order to be eligible for vaccination in Ontario, residents must identify as transgender, part of the LGBTQ2S+ community, or as a man who has sex with other men as well as meet certain other criteria.
Toronto Public Health said in a news release that while anyone can get MPOX “gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men have been most affected” during the current outbreak.
The most recent statistics show that all but six of the 691 cases detected in Ontario to date have involved men.
Speaking with CP24 on Thursday morning, infectious disease specialist Dr. Isaac Bogoch said that the recent cluster of cases in Toronto isn’t a major cause for concern but should serve as a reminder that “mxpox hasn’t gone away.”
“We can expect to see occasional cases from time to time and it’s notable that there are four cases after such a prolonged period where we had very few cases,” he said. “So it’s extremely important that if people were eligible for vaccination that they receive their mpox vaccine and that includes a second dose. There was a lot of uptake on the first doses, but we didn’t get the same degree of uptake on second doses.”
The most commonly reported symptoms following an mpox infection include rash, oral/genital lesions, swollen lymph nodes, headache, fever, chills and fatigue.
So far only 20 cases in Ontario have led to hospitalization. Two of those cases have resulted in individuals requiring treatment in an intensive care unit.
High-risk places affected by respiratory outbreaks
A respiratory virus outbreak has been declared at Southbridge Lakehead long-term care home.
The outbreak is facility-wide at the Vickers Street home. Restrictions are in place on admissions, transfers, discharges, social activities and visitation until further notice.
There are now four active respiratory outbreaks in high-risk settings in the Thunder Bay district, including at Hogarth Riverview Manor on the first floor and 2 North and on Plaza 1 at Pioneer Ridge.
A facility-wide COVID-19 outbreak is also ongoing at the Manitouwadge Hospital.
There are no active influenza outbreaks in the district.
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit reports that emergency department visits because of respiratory-related complaints have decreased and are at seasonal levels in its catchment area and the influenza A surge overall has subsided with the peak in cases and hospitalizations having taken place in November of 2022.
COVID-19 does continue to circulate with 104 new lab-confirmed cases in the last seven days.
Hospitalization numbers are stable with 23 people in the hospital with COVID in the district, including three in intensive care units.
The health unit continues to stress the importance of precautions like getting the annual flu vaccine and latest COVID booster as well as wearing a face mask, particularly indoors and crowded places. Also, stay home when sick.
WHO advisers to consider whether obesity medication should be added to Essential Medicines List
Advisers to the World Health Organization will consider next month whether to add liraglutide, the active ingredient in certain diabetes and obesity medications, to its list of essential medicines.
The list, which is updated every two years, includes medicines “that satisfy the priority health needs of the population,” WHO says. “They are intended to be available within the context of function health systems at all times, in adequate amounts in the appropriate dosage forms, of assured quality and at prices that individuals and the community can afford.”
The list is “a guide for the development and updating of national and institutional essential medicine lists to support the procurement and supply of medicines in the public sector, medicines reimbursement schemes, medicine donations, and local medicine production.”
The WHO Expert Committee on the Selection and Use of Essential Medicines is scheduled to meet April 24-28 to discuss revisions and updates involving dozens of medications. The request to add GLP-1 receptor agonists such as liraglutide came from four researchers at US institutions including Yale University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
These drugs mimic the effects of an appetite-regulating hormone, GLP-1, and stimulate the release of insulin. This helps lower blood sugar and slows the passage of food through the gut. Liraglutide was developed to treat diabetes but approved in the US as a weight-loss treatment in 2014; its more potent cousin, semaglutide, has been approved for diabetes since 2017 and as an obesity treatment in 2021.
The latter use has become well-known thanks to promotions from celebrities and on social media. It’s sold under the name Ozempic for diabetes and Wegovy for weight loss. Studies suggest that semaglutide may help people lose an average of 10% to 15% of their starting weight – significantly more than with other medications. But because of this high demand, some versions of the medication have been in shortage in the US since the middle of last year.
The US patent on liraglutide is set to expire this year, and drugmaker Novo Nordisk says generic versions could be available in June 2024.
The company has not been involved in the application to WHO, it said in a statement, but “we welcome the WHO review and look forward to the readout and decision.”
“At present, there are no medications included in the [Essential Medicines List] that specifically target weight loss for the global burden of obesity,” the researchers wrote in their request to WHO. “At this time, the EML includes mineral supplements for nutritional deficiencies yet it is also described that most of the population live in ‘countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.’ “
WHO’s advisers will make recommendations on which drugs should be included in this year’s list, expected to come in September.
Get CNN Health’s weekly newsletter
Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.
“This particular drug has a certain history, but the use of it probably has not been long enough to be able to see it on the Essential Medicines List,” Dr. Francesco Blanca, WHO director for nutrition and food safety, said at a briefing Wednesday. “There’s also issues related to the cost of the treatment. At the same time, WHO is looking at the use of drugs to reduce weight excess in the context of a systematic review for guidelines for children and adolescents. So we believe that it is a work in progress, but we’ll see what the Essential Medicines List committee is going to conclude.”
Some pediatric surgeries may be postponed as pediatric ICU faces strain: Shared Health
Re-emerging levels of respiratory illness have caused increased patient numbers at the HSC Children’s pediatric intensive care unit over the last week, and some non-urgent procedures may be postponed, Shared Health says.
On Thursday morning, there were 17 pediatric patients in the intensive care unit, and a considerable number of which were already experiencing health issues that were aggravated by respiratory illness. The unit’s normal baseline is nine, Shared Health said in a Thursday media release.
The release said patient volumes at the children’s emergency department are stable but more children with flu-like symptoms have been recorded coming in over the last two weeks, going from a low of 22 in mid-March to 47 on Wednesday.
A variety of respiratory illnesses are spreading through the community and have contributed to the increased level of patients in the pediatric intensive care unit, according to Shared Health.
Meanwhile, the number of patients in the neonatal intensive care unit was at 51 on Thursday morning, which is slightly above the unit’s normal baseline capacity of 50.
Ten staff are being temporarily reassigned to the pediatric intensive care unit to deal with the increased level of patients, the release said.
Some staff are being pulled from the pediatric surgical and recovery units, which means non-urgent procedures may be postponed due to the reassignments, Shared Health said.
Families of patients impacted by the postponements will be contacted, they said, and all urgent and life-threatening surgeries will go unhindered.
Families can protect their children from respiratory illnesses by limiting their contact with people exhibiting cold-like symptoms, washing their hands frequently and staying up to date on vaccinations, Shared Health said.
Patient volumes increased last month
While overall wait times at emergency and urgent care centres were stable in February, Shared Health said daily patient volumes in the province went up.
The daily average of patients seeking care was 750 last month, which is an increase from 730.4 in January, according to a separate Thursday news release.
The average length of stay for patients in emergency or urgent care units to be transferred to an inpatient unit went down to 21.77 hours last month, which is an improvement from 22.5 hours in January, the release said.
The overall number of people who left without being seen went down last month, from 13 per cent in January to 12.1 per cent in February, according to Shared Health. It also decreased at the HSC emergency department, from 25 per cent in January to 23.4 per cent last month.
Shared Health is reminding Manitobans to continue to call 911 in case of an emergency, and said the sickest and most injured patients will remain their priority.
Rogers-Shaw deal approved — with ‘unprecedented’ conditions. Here’s what to know – Global News
The Art of Gardening — New Patio Plants – CFJC Today Kamloops
Is AI art the new frontier or just another way to rip artists off? Watch episode 1 of digi-Art now – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Sports9 hours ago
Edmonton Oilers deliver a statement performance in a 2-0 shutout of L.A.: Cult of Hockey Player Grade
Science19 hours ago
After sunset, see the 5 planets in the sky or via video
Art9 hours ago
The art of picking the perfect colour
Business20 hours ago
Stocks extend rally as Wall Street looks to end of quarter: Stock market news today
News21 hours ago
Six bodies, including one child, recovered from St. Lawrence River
Sports19 hours ago
Bontis says he’s apologized to Sinclair, doesn’t remember insult
Business18 hours ago
White House proposes tougher U.S. bank rules, new tests after crisis
Investment19 hours ago
BRAVO READY Announces Strategic Investment From Magic Eden