MANDALAY, MYANMAR —
Demonstrators in Myanmar’s biggest city came out Monday night for their first mass protests in defiance of an 8 p.m. curfew, seeking to show support for an estimated 200 students trapped by security forces in a small area of one neighbourhood.
The students and other civilians earlier took part in one of the many daily protests across the country against the military’s seizure of power last month that ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi.
The military government also placed a major curb on media coverage of the crisis. It announced that the licenses of five local media outlets – Mizzima, DVB, Khit Thit Media, Myanmar Now and 7Day News – have been cancelled.
“These media companies are no longer allowed to broadcast or write or give information by using any kind of media platform or using any media technology,” it said on state broadcaster MRTV.
All five had been offering extensive coverage of the protests, often with live steaming video online. The offices of Myanmar Now were raided by the authorities Monday before the measure was announced. The government has detained dozens of journalists since the coup, including a Myanmar Now reporter and Thein Zaw of The Associated Press, both of whom have been charged under a public order law that carried a penalty of up to three years in prison.
The night’s street protests began after police cordoned off part of Yangon’s Sanchaung neighbourhood and were believed to be conducting door-to-door searches for those who fled attacks by security forces to seek shelter in the homes of sympathetic strangers.
News of their plight spread quickly on social media, and people poured into the streets in neighbourhoods all over the city to show solidarity and in hopes of drawing some of the pressure off the hunted protesters. On some streets, they constructed makeshift barricades with whatever was at hand.
In the Insein district, they spread across road junctions, singing songs, chanting pro-democracy slogans and banging objects together.
The diplomatic missions of the United States, Britain, Canada and the European Union all issued statements urging the security forces to allow the trapped people to return safely to their homes. Although all have been sharply critical of the Feb. 1 coup and police violence, it is unusual for such diplomatic statements to be issued in connection with a specific, ongoing incident.
“There is heightened tension caused by security forces surrounding Kyun Taw Road in Sanchaung Township, Yangon. We call on those security forces to withdraw and allow people to go home safely, ” said the U.S. Embassy’s statement.
By midnight Myanmar time, there had been no reports of clashes between police and protesters, although security forces chased crowds, harassed residents watching from windows, and fired stun grenades. They also were some reports of injuries from rubber bullets.
The nighttime hours have become increasingly dangerous in Myanmar. Police and army units routinely range through neighbourhoods, shooting randomly to intimidate residents and disrupt their sleep, and making targeted arrests.
Security forces shot and killed two people in northern Myanmar during the day, local media reported.
The Irrawaddy online newspaper said the victims were shot in the head during anti-coup protests in Myitkyina in Kachin State. Graphic video on social media showed protesters backing away from tear gas, responding with rocks and then fleeing after a fusillade of what seemed to be automatic gunfire.
Demonstrators hurriedly carried away the injured, including one apparent fatality, a person with a severe head wound. A second body was seen later on a stretcher, his head covered with a cloth.
Another shooting death took place in Pyapon, a city about 120 kilometres (75 miles) south of Yangon.
To date, the government’s violent crackdown has left more than 50 protesters dead. At least 18 people were fatally shot Feb. 28 and 38 on Wednesday, according to the U.N. Human Rights Office.
Security forces also clamped down on anti-coup protesters elsewhere Monday, firing tear gas to break up a crowd of about 1,000 people demonstrating in Pyinmana, a satellite town of the capital, Naypyitaw. The protesters deployed fire extinguishers to create a smokescreen as they fled from authorities.
Thousands of protesters who marched in Mandalay, the second-largest city, dispersed on their own amid fears that soldiers and police were planning to break up their demonstration with force.
Meanwhile, an armed force from one of Myanmar’s ethnic groups was deployed to protect anti-coup marchers in the wake of a brutal crackdown by the junta.
The unit from the Karen National Police Force arrived shortly after dawn to accompany about 2,000 protesters near Myitta in Tanintharyi Region in southeastern Myanmar. They carried an assortment of firearms including assault rifles as they marched ahead of the column down dusty rural roads.
The Karen police force is under the control of the Karen National Union, one of many ethnic organizations that have been fighting for greater autonomy from the central government for decades. The KNU employs both political and, through its armed wing, military means to achieve its aims.
Large-scale protests have occurred daily in many cities and towns since Myanmar’s military seized power, and security forces have responded with ever greater use of lethal force and mass arrests.
On Sunday, police occupied hospitals and universities and reportedly arrested hundreds of people involved in protesting the military takeover.
Media Release – October 15, 2021 – Guelph Police – guelphpolice.ca
Girl faces child porn charges over explicit images
A Guelph teenager faces child pornography charges after explicit photos and a video of her ex-boyfriend were shared on social media.
On Thursday the Guelph Police Service was contacted by a concerned mother indicating photos of her 14-year-old son had been posted online. Investigation revealed the boy’s former girlfriend sent the images and video to her current boyfriend, who posted them on a popular social media site.
Further investigation also revealed the girl had sent the images to the victim’s father as well.
A 14-year-old Guelph female is charged with possessing child pornography and two counts of distributing child pornography. She will appear in court in December. The investigation is ongoing.
Rail worker struck, female charged
A Guelph female was charged after a railway worker was struck by a vehicle while doing traffic control Thursday morning.
Approximately 7:15 a.m. the Guelph Police Service was called to the area of Alma Street North and Crimea Street. Investigation revealed a worker was stopping traffic for an approaching train when he was struck. The worker was transported to hospital by Guelph Wellington Paramedic Service for treatment of a minor leg injury.
A 38-year-old Guelph female was charged under the Highway Traffic Act with careless driving.
Two downtown businesses entered
The Guelph Police Service is investigating after two downtown businesses had their glass doors smashed and items stolen this week.
Approximately 10 a.m. Wednesday, the owner of a business on Macdonell Street near Wyndham Street North called police after arriving at work to find the front door smashed. An undetermined amount of product was reported stolen.
The incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Constable Brad Townsend at 519-824-1212, ext. 7123, email him at firstname.lastname@example.org, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online at www.csgw.tips.
On Thursday morning, approximately 8:25 a.m., police received a call from a passerby reporting another business in the same area also had a smashed front glass door. Officers cleared the building but did not locate anyone inside. A cash register containing cash and three Samsung tablets were reported missing.
The incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Constable Brett Nymeyer at 519-824-1212, ext. 7227, email him at email@example.com, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online at www.csgw.tips.
Female arrested for break and enter
A female has been arrested in connection with two break and enters at west-end apartment buildings earlier this year.
On February 12, just before 1 a.m., a female gained entry to an apartment building in the area of Paisley Road and Elmira Road South. She was observed on surveillance video stealing various items including pottery and a table. She left the building but returned a short time later driving an SUV and was able to gain access to the parking garage of an adjacent building, where she stole power tools and other items from a vehicle.
She was eventually identified based on surveillance footage and was arrested Thursday.
A 37-year-old female of no fixed address is charged with break and enter and theft under $5,000. She will appear in a Guelph bail court November 2, 2021.
Total calls for service in the last 24 hours – 219
A lot of candidates, a lot of social media – The Calgary Journal
On Monday, Calgarians will make their way to ballot boxes to cast their votes in the municipal election. The election marks a major shift for Calgary as it’s the first time in 11 years that Naheed Nenshi is not on the ballot.
The city is about to vote in a new leader and to help you keep up with all the candidates, we’ve curated their social media accounts into one place. From workout photos to puppy pictures, take a look at what Calgary’s mayoral candidates are posting online.
Facebook: Vote Ian Chiang for Mayor of Calgary
Facebook: Jan Damery for Calgary Mayor
Facebook: Jeff Davison for Mayor
Facebook: Jeromy Farkas – Standing Up For Calgarians &
Facebook: Brad Field
Facebook: Jyoti Gondek for Mayor
Facebook: Dean Hopkins for Calgary Mayor
Twitter: U E Cory Lanterman
Facebook: CORY for MAYOR
Facebook: Zane4Mayor Calgary
Facebook: Teddy4Mayor-YYC Volunteers
Twitter: SunnySinghForMAYOR YYC
Facebook: Sunny Singh(Amarpal Singh)
Facebook: Shaoli Wang(Mayoral Candidate)
Zaheed Ali Khan
Facebook: James Desautels
Instagram: desautels 4 mayor
Facebook: Mizanur Rahman
- Paul Michael Hallelujah
- Randall Kaiser
- Geoff Rainey
- Kevin J. Johnson
- Larry Heather
- Stan the Man Waciak
Media Advisory: Premier Furey, Minister Coady and Minister Haggie to Announce Mandatory Vaccination Policy – News Releases – Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Honourable Andrew Furey, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Honourable Siobhan Coady, Deputy Premier and President of Treasury Board, and the Honourable John Haggie, Minister of Health and Community Services, will announce the province’s mandatory vaccination policy today (Friday, October 15) at 1:00 p.m. at the Media Centre, East Block, Confederation Building.
The event will be live-streamed on the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Facebook and YouTube accounts. Media covering the announcement will have the opportunity to join in person in the media centre or by teleconference. Media planning to attend this event should register with Jillian Hood (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:00 a.m.
Prior to the event, a technical briefing for media will be held at 12:00 p.m.
Media attending the briefing will have the opportunity to join in person in the media centre or by teleconference. Media who wish to participate in the technical briefing should RSVP to Jillian Hood (email@example.com), who will provide the details and the required information.
Media must join the teleconference at 11:45 a.m. (NST) to be included on the call. For sound quality purposes, registered media are asked to use a land line if at all possible.
Office of the Premier
Treasury Board Secretariat
Health and Community Services
10,000 in Waterloo region eligible to get 2nd COVID-19 shot right now, official says – CBC.ca
In ever-evolving NBA, Raptors’ length and athleticism opens doors on defence – Sportsnet.ca
FDA vote expected on Johnson & Johnson vaccine booster shots – CNN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Health10 hours ago
Canada heading for flu season in the middle of fourth wave of COVID-19 – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
Tech16 hours ago
Nintendo's Switch Online N64 and Sega Genesis games cost $64 for 12 months in Canada – MobileSyrup
News13 hours ago
Blast at Shi’ite mosque in Afghan city of Kandahar kills dozens
Tech18 hours ago
Amazon-owned Twitch says source code exposed in last week's data breach – Reuters
News14 hours ago
China launches second crewed mission to build space station
Art20 hours ago
Adm. Art McDonald letter to senior military officials ‘shocking,’ says Gen. Eyre – Global News
Health10 hours ago
New Zealand vaccinates 2.5% of its people in a day in drive to live with COVID-19
Business18 hours ago
Stellantis cutting 1800 jobs at Windsor Assembly Plant – CTV News Windsor