Connect with us

Health

N.B. reports three new COVID-19 cases; 12 active cases remain – CTV News

Published

on


HALIFAX —
New Brunswick is reporting three new cases of COVID-19.

On Sunday, the province gave an update and announced the three new cases all have been identified at the Manoir de la Vallée residential facility.

All of the latest cases range in age from 80 to 89.

The latest cases bring the provincial total of COVID-19 cases to 132. There are 12 active cases remaining in the province, all located in Zone 5.

“There is a possibility that the virus could spread beyond that region, because we know the incubation period is 14 days,” said Chief Medical Officer of Health Jennifer Russell. “We have a two week period ahead of us where we are going to be watching very carefully what is happening in that region and also around the province. We know that people have left that region since the time that there has been a transmission of COVID-19.”

Three people are currently in hospital, with one of those cases in an intensive care unit.

As of Sunday, 120 cases have recovered and there are zero deaths in the province.

To date, 26,172 tests have been conducted in New Brunswick. This includes over 1,300 tests processed on Saturday, which is the highest single-day amount since the pandemic began.

Manoir de la Vallée

“When we learned late last week that a healthcare worker, who has been infected with the virus, worked in a long-term care facility, Public Health took immediate steps to determine its spread,” said Russell. “All residents and staff were rapidly tested and steps were taken within the home to isolate residents from one another.”

Of the 12 active cases in N.B., five of the cases are at Manoir de la Vallée. The cases include one staff member and four residents. Russell added that the staff member didn’t work in any other facilities.

Extra-Mural Program professionals from Extra-Mural/Ambulance New Brunswick are on site at the long-term care facility coordinating clinical care for residents in collaboration with regional staff from the Department of Social Development, Department of Health and Vitalité Health Network. All staff and residents of the facility have been tested.

“I understand the stress that this is causing for residents and staff of the Manoir and their families. An outbreak at a seniors’ home is everyone’s greatest fear,”

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-CA
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:107%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:”Calibri”,sans-serif;
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;

said Russell. “Please be assured that our overriding priority is the health and safety of the residents and those who care for them.”

Russell noted care homes in the region will be tested within the coming week.

Premier Blaine Higgs said he knows it is upsetting to hear that the virus is connected to a long-term care facility.

“My thoughts are with the residents and front-line employees in this facility, as well as their families,” said Higgs. “This doesn’t just affect people who live in and around Campbellton, this impacts all New Brunswickers.”

Working together

Higgs also expressed his gratitude to everyone going above and beyond and working tirelessly to contain the province’s latest outbreak.

“I am grateful to all of the people who have been working on the front lines and behind the scenes,” said Higgs. “So many New Brunswickers are doing great work at this moment to contain the virus and put our province back on track.”

Return to orange

While most of the province is in the Yellow level of New Brunswick’s recovery plan, Zone 5 remains at the Orange level.

The following rules apply to Zone 5 only:

  • A two-household bubble is permitted. Your household can join up with one other household, if both households mutually agree. You must not have close contact with anyone else. You cannot join up with more than one household or bubble.
  • Non-regulated health professionals and businesses such as acupuncturists and naturopaths cannot operate at this time.
  • Personal services businesses such as barbers, hair stylists, spas, estheticians, manicurists, pedicurists, and tattoo artists cannot operate at this time.

Officials from WorkSafeNB and the Department of Public Safety remain in the area to ensure compliance. They will closely monitor and assess the situation in the days ahead. Those with concerns can contact a toll-free information line by calling 1-844-462-8387 or by emailing helpaide@gnb.ca.

Phase 3 continues with delays

The rest of New Brunswick is currently in the Yellow level of the COVID-19 recovery plan – allowing for the reopening of more business and activities.

The yellow phase of the province’s recovery plan will be rolled out in stages over the next few weeks. Health officials note that Public Health measures and guidelines must still be followed.

Due to the outbreak, activities previously scheduled to be permitted on Friday are being delayed until June 5 to allow time for officials to determine the extent of the current outbreak.

Activities being delayed include

  • Outdoor public gatherings of 50 people or fewer.
  • Indoor religious services, including weddings and funerals, of 50 people or fewer.
  • Low-contact team sports.

Openings being delayed include

  • swimming pools, saunas and waterparks
  • gyms, yoga and dance studios
  • rinks and indoor recreational facilities
  • pool halls and bowling alleys

Information on public health recovery phases, measures and guidelines is available online.

Keeping numbers low

To further slow the spread of the virus in the province, it is important to follow the following personal actions:

  • Stay in your own home, or within your two-household bubble, as much as possible.
  • Maintain two metres of physical distance between yourself and others when you go out.
  • When physical distancing cannot be maintained, face masks that cover your mouth and nose will be required to be worn in public.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly several times a day.
  • Avoid touching your face.
  • Cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
  • Regularly clean commonly touched surfaces in your home, such as doorknobs and countertops.

Up-to-date information about COVID-19 is available online.

Symptom check

The province is urging residents showing two of the following symptoms, to contact 811 or their primary health-care provider for further direction:

• fever above 38°C or signs of fever (such as chills);

• a new cough or worsening chronic cough;

• sore throat;

• runny nose;

• headache;

• a new onset of fatigue;

• a new onset of muscle pain;

• diarrhea;

• loss of sense of taste or loss of sense of smell; and

• in children, purple markings on the fingers or toes. In this instance, testing will be done even if none of the other symptoms are present.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Four new outbreaks, 41 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in Alberta – CityNews Edmonton

Published

on


CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Alberta Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw announced 41 new cases of COVID-19 within the province.

In the last 24 hours, around 7,200 tests have been conducted, with 41 of the tests coming back positive.

More than 7,400 Albertans have recovered from the virus, while 41 remain in hospital, and nine in ICU.

Hinshaw identified outbreaks linked to four restaurants in the Edmonton area.

There were 15 cases found associated with the Greta Bar, six at Earl’s Tin Palace, 10 at The Pint, and nine found at the Local on Jasper Avenue.

“Alberta Health Services is working closely with operates to facilitate testing and ensure all necessary steps are taken to protect public health,” Hinshaw said.

Anyone who may have recently visited the restaurants should seek testing, Hinshaw added.

With more locations opening, Hinshaw reiterated how easily the virus can spread.

She said that both Calgary and Edmonton have an area with more than 50 cases per 100,000 Albertans and that AHS is currently keeping a close eye on those locations.

Health officials continue to monitor the outbreak at a Calgary condominium building in the city’s East Village which is currently linked to 49 cases.

Hinshaw says an investigation into the outbreak is ongoing.

“While we don’t know with absolute certainty at this point the cause of this, we are looking at various possibilities,” she said.

“One of the possible sources is high touch surfaces,” Hinshaw added.

Out of those 49 cases, 33 are currently active while 16 have recovered.

There are 549 active COVID-19 cases province-wide with the Edmonton zone holding 246 of those cases, while the Calgary zone has 233.

No new deaths were reported.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Health unit temporarily shuts down Leamington farm operation over COVID-19 cases – Windsor Star

Published

on


Article content continued

Some workers also want to apply for an open work permit, he said, “because they don’t want to work under these conditions.” He said they cited living in bunkhouses with at least 20 other workers.

“A couple of workers told me they’ve been taking care of themselves, using masks, washing their hands, but if you share housing with 20 others it’s very tough to keep yourself safe.”

It’s too early to determine the impact of the shutdown on the farm, said Taylor.

“It will depend on what the plan is … how the workforce is isolated, what potential there is for any of the workforce to return to work,” she said. “But obviously when you’re dealing with a living crop, there’s always the possibility that the crop might perish if they’re not able to source replacement labour.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nine Additional Cases of COVID-19 in Windsor-Essex – AM800 (iHeartRadio)

Published

on


Another drop in confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Windsor-Essex.

The local health unit is reporting an additional nine cases as of Wednesday morning at 10:30am.

In a release, the health unit says, seven of those nine cases are from the agri-farm sector while one case is a health care worker.

There are now a total of 1,611 confirmed cases, 68 deaths and 893 cases resolved in Windsor-Essex. 

There are two outbreaks at long-term care homes and four workplaces have two or more cases.

Medical Officer of Health Dr. Wajid Ahmed will hold his daily briefing at 9:30 Thursday morning.
 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending