Connect with us

News

NASA releases satellite images of Manitoba flooding; province bracing for more rain

Published

 on

WINNIPEG — Severe flooding that has displaced thousands of people in southern Manitoba has reached levels that are quite literally out of this world.

Satellite images of flooding in the Red River Valley were NASA Earth Observatory’s images of the day on Thursday.

The two false-colour images, taken on Tuesday and Wednesday, show the flooded valley on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border.

The images were taken with sensors that are used to track Earth and climate measurements on two NASA satellites called Terra and Aqua. They orbit throughout the day, passing over the equator from north to south and south to north.

The image from Tuesday shows dark masses of flooded area around the Red River from Winnipeg south to Grand Forks, N.D.

NASA Earth Observatory said the images were produced using different settings within the sensors to better distinguish river water out of its banks.

Heavy snowfall and spring rainstorms have left many parts of Manitoba flooded, including the Red River Valley.

Flood warnings are in place for most parts of the Red River north of Emerson, near the border, the province said in its latest flood bulletin.

Doyle Piwniuk, Manitoba’s minister responsible for emergency measures, said water levels in some areas along the Red River have already peaked.

“The Red River peak is declining in Emerson, has peaked in St.-Jean Baptiste and (is) near peaking in Morris,” Piwniuk said Thursday.

The province has issued an overland flood warning for a portion of southwest Manitoba and the southeast corner of the province, while an overland flood watch for all of southern Manitoba remains in effect.

A new low-pressure weather system is expected to bring 20 to 40 millimetres of rain beginning Thursday with the possibility of some areas exceeding 50 millimetres.

Environment and Climate Change Canada issued special weather statements for several communities across southern Manitoba.

It said heavy rain and thunderstorms were expected for the Winnipeg area and in the western part of the province near Brandon.

“The risks we have with this rainfall event is obviously an exasperation or worsening of overland flood concerns in any area that’s having flooding issues,” said Alysa Pederson, who is a meteorologist with the weather agency.

“When we get severe storms or thunderstorms that can drop 50 millimetres over a couple of hours even in mid-July, it can cause localized flooding. So it’s not going to be a good situation where there is already a lot of flooding or overland concerns.”

Pederson added the combination of heavy rainfall and strong winds means there is a concern of further washouts for some areas.

There is also a high risk of ice piling up on the east shore of Lake Manitoba including areas along Twin Lakes and Lundar beaches, the province said. Strong winds could also cause water levels in flooded areas of the Red River Valley to rise by up to about 30 centimetres.

Parts of Manitoba have recently been battered with heavy snow and rain. Most southern Manitoba basins received 20 to 40 millimetres of rain earlier this week.

Pederson said these amounts are normal for this time of year but not with the same frequency.

“We don’t usually see this many consecutive events occur. Usually, there’s one or two. This is (the) fourth or fifth week here with another system moving through.”

There are 28 municipalities and four First Nation communities that have declared states of emergency, with 2,500 people out of their homes.

Three municipalities have requested resources to help with flooding ahead of the expected rainfall, said Piwniuk.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 12, 2021.

— With files from Steve Lambert in Winnipeg

___

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Meta and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

 

Brittany Hobson, The Canadian Press

News

Sanctioned Russians will be banned from entering Canada, government says – CBC News

Published

 on


Russians sanctioned by Canada will be barred from entering the country, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) say.

In a statement from CBSA, Mendicino announced he’ll introduce changes to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) that will prevent those sanctioned individuals from coming into the country.

“These changes will allow the Canada Border Services Agency to deny entry to, and remove, individuals subject to sanctions, and will allow Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officials to deny visas,” the statement reads.

“Once in force, these amendments to IRPA will apply to all foreign nationals subject to sanctions by Canada, and any accompanying family members.”

The government has sanctioned over 1,000 individuals and entities from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus in retaliation for the Russian invasion of Ukraine, according to Global Affairs Canada.

Among those sanctioned are senior Russian government officials such as Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, billionaire oligarch Roman Abramovich, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s adult daughters Katerina Tikhonova and Maria Vorontsova, and Putin himself.

The sanctions prevent them from receiving financial and property services in Canada or from Canadians outside of Canada.

“In the face of the Putin regime’s brutal attack, Canada stands with Ukraine. Banning close associates and key supporters of Putin’s regime, including those responsible for this unprovoked aggression, from entering our country is one of the many ways in which we’re holding Russia accountable for its crimes,” Mendicino said in the statement. 

“We will continue to exhaust all options to uphold freedom and democracy, punish Russia and support Ukraine.” 

Russia has sanctioned Canadians in retaliation for Canada’s sanctions — including premiers, military officials and journalists.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

UFOs: More Canadian politicians briefed – CTV News

Published

 on


Canadian members of Parliament are urging the government to pay more attention to recent U.S. news about “unidentified aerial phenomena,” or UAP: a term used for what are more commonly known as unidentified flying objects and UFOs.

According to Conservative MP Larry Maguire and a Texas-based researcher, at least three Canadian politicians have now sought UAP briefings from former Pentagon officials.

“When you see the information that’s come out of the United States, you’d have to take it seriously,” Maguire told CTV News from his Ottawa office. “We need to have a parallel program to what the United States already has.”

On Tuesday, a pair of senior U.S. military officials testified during the first public congressional hearing on UFOs in more than 50 years.

“We know that our service members have encountered unidentified aerial phenomena,” Ronald Moultrie, who oversees the Pentagon’s current UFO research office, said during the hearing. “We’re open to any conclusions that we may encounter.”

Earlier this month, CTVNews.ca revealed former Canadian defence minister Harjit Sajjan also received a UFO briefing ahead of the June 2021 release of an unclassified U.S. intelligence report on recent military sightings, which have included UAP that appeared to “maneuver abruptly, or move at considerable speed, without discernable means of propulsion.” Military personnel, police and pilots have also filed reports in Canada.

“We need to identify the origins and the intent of these UAPs, and that certainly can’t hurt anything,” Maguire said Tuesday.

Maguire’s office states it arranged a Feb. 16, 2021 briefing for the Manitoba MP and another Conservative parliamentarian with Luis Elizondo, a former U.S. Army counterintelligence officer who reportedly ran a UAP research program before resigning from the Pentagon in 2017.

“Mr. Maguire is absolutely correct in his concern, because he knows that these reports do occur,” Elizondo told CTV News from Wyoming on Tuesday. “I think the time has come for us to have an open and honest dialogue about this topic without fear of retribution, without stigma and associated taboo.”

Maguire has penned a recent op-ed on the subject and has even used his committee work to raise questions about UAP sightings in Canada. Earlier this year, Maguire’s office arranged another briefing with members of the Scientific Coalition for UAP Studies (SCU), an international think tank dedicated to applying scientific methods to UAP research.

Engineer and founding SCU board member Robert Powell was part of that Jan. 28 meeting and says he also participated in an Oct. 20, 2021 briefing for a Liberal member of Parliament.

“Both MPs were very interested in the subject,” Powell told CTVNews.ca from Austin, Texas. “The main thing I try to get across in these types of meetings is basically to give them as good an understanding as I can of the history and the current status of the UAP subject.”

According to Powell, the Oct. 2021 UAP briefing with the Liberal MP included former Pentagon intelligence official Christopher Mellon.

“We have no idea where they’re coming from or what their capabilities are, or what their intent is,” Mellon told CTV News in a June 2021 interview. Mellon did not respond to a request to comment on this story.

Internal briefing documents obtained by CTVNews.ca state the Canadian Armed Forces “does not typically investigate sightings of unexplained phenomena outside the context of investigating potential threats or distress.”

Meanwhile in the U.S., Pentagon UFO programs have operated under various acronyms for years. Questions about the national security implications of sightings have even sparked rare cooperation between Democrats and Republicans, which was evident during Tuesday’s congressional hearing and with a late 2021 Senate initiative to establish a new UAP research office.

“One of the interesting and noteworthy points about the study of UAPs is that everything I have seen both in Canada and the United States is that there is no partisanship on this question,” Powell said. “All parties seem to be interested in this subject, and it’s not a political issue.”

“If there’s any issue that we can be nonpartisan on in Canada, it should be this one,” Maguire added.

Ontario NDP MP Matthew Green agrees, saying Canada has nothing to lose by investigating UAP.

“If the testimony coming out of the States provides the public with a glimpse into the seriousness in which they’re taking it, then I think it would be well-advised for us to follow in the same pursuit,” Green told CTVNews.ca on Tuesday from Ottawa. “If they’re having public hearings of this nature, I can only begin to imagine what they already privately know.”

With files from CTV National News field producer William Dugan

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

US’ easing of travel and remittances to Cuba met with contention

Published

 on

The country’s recent announcement of a series of steps to loosen some Trump-era restrictions on travelling to Cuba and the transfer of family remittances between the two countries has been met with some contention.

Yesterday the government said it will aim to issue 20 000 visas under a family reunification programme for Cubans to join their relatives in the US and will also permit more commercial flights to destinations beyond Havana for group educational trips and lift a US$1 000 limit on quarterly remittances.

However, Cuba’s Foreign Minister, Bruno Rodriguez, said the decision doesn’t change the embargoes which have been in place since 1962 nor most of Trump’s measures against the country.

“It’s a limited step in the right direction. To know the real scope of this announcement, we must wait for the publication of the regulation that will determine its application,” said Rodriguez.

At the same time, US Senator, Robert Menendez, chairperson of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a member of President Joe Biden‘s Democratic Party denounced the announcement.

“To be clear, those who still believe that increasing travel will breed democracy in Cuba are simply in a state of denial. Today’s announcement risks sending the wrong message to the wrong people at the wrong time and for all the wrong reasons. For decades, the world has been travelling to Cuba and nothing has changed,” said Menendez.

The COVID-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine have hurt the Cuban economy, with fuel scarcity causing blackouts and limiting public transport.

According to statistics from the US Customs and Border Protection, the economic crisis has driven more Cubans to try to migrate to the US. Since October, almost 80 000 Cubans have crossed the US-Mexico border, more than double the number in 2021.

Continue Reading

Trending