Connect with us

News

New Brunswick announces new COVID-19-related death, 61 cases Saturday – CTV News Atlantic

Published

 on


HALIFAX —
New Brunswick is announcing another COVID-19-related death, as well as 61 new cases on Saturday.

A person in their 70s in the Fredericton regions has died of the disease, bringing the total number of COVID-19-related deaths in the province to 53.

“Marcia and I are saddened to hear of another death because of the COVID-19 pandemic,” Premier Blaine Higgs said in a release.

“Our thoughts are with this person’s family and friends and with everyone who has lost a loved one or has gotten sick due to COVID-19. We all owe it to them to do our part to protect each other by please, if you can, getting vaccinated.”

“My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of the individual who has passed away,” Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, said in a release.

The active number of cases is 580.

Public health says 85 per cent, or 52 of the 61 new cases, are not fully vaccinated. 

There were also 53 recoveries.

 There are six new cases in Zone 1 (Moncton region), which are as follows:

  • Two people 19 and under;
  • Two people 20-29; and
  • Two people 30-39.

Five cases are under investigation and one is a contact of a previously confirmed case.

Four new cases are in Zone 2 (Saint John region) and are as follows:

  • Two people 19 and under;
  •  A person 20-29; and;
  • A person 30-39.

All four cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

The 16 new cases in Zone 3 (Fredericton region) are as follows:

Two people 19 and under;

  • A person 20-29;
  • A person 30-39;
  • Two people 40-49;
  • Three people 50-59;
  • Three people 60-69;
  • Three people 70-79; and
  • A person 80-89

Eight cases are under investigation and eight are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

The 18 new cases in Zone 4 (Edmundston region) are as follows:

  • Five people 19 and under;
  • Three people 20-29;
  • A person 30-39;
  • Five people 40-49;
  • Three people 50-59; and
  • A person 80-89.

 Twelve cases are under investigation and six are contacts of previously confirmed cases.

The nine new cases in Zone 5 (Campbellton region) are as follows:

  •  Five people 19 and under;
  • A person 20-29;
  • Two people 30-39; and;
  •  A person 40-49

Eight cases are contacts of a previously confirmed cases and one is under investigation.

The six new cases in Zone 6 (Bathurst region) are as follows:

  • A person 19 and under;
  • Three people 20-29;
  • A person 70-79; and;
  • A person 80-89

Five cases are under investigation and one is a contact of a previously confirmed cases.

The two cases in Zone 7 (Miramichi region) are as follows:

  • A person 19 and under; and;
  • A person 20-29

One case is under investigation and the other is a contact of a previously confirmed case.

VACCINE UPDATE

Public Health says 78.9 per cent of eligible New Brunswickers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and 87.7 per cent have received their first dose.

All eligible New Brunswickers can book their second-dose appointments for a date that is at least 28 days after their first dose.

A list of upcoming mobile and walk-in clinics is available online.

STATE OF EMERGENCY REINSTATED

Based on the current level of COVID-19 hospitalizations, New Brunswick announced Friday it will reinstate a state of emergency.

It includes new measures to limit contacts, ensure physical distancing is maintained, and require certain businesses and events to have a vaccination or masking-and-testing workplace policy. Additional details are available online.

CLARIFICATION ON PRIVATE GATHERINGS

Private indoor gathering can have people from your household plus 20 consistent contacts.

It does not apply to businesses, such as restaurants, where patrons must show proof of full vaccination or medical exemption.

If you are holding a private outside gathering, there is no limit on the number of people, with physical distancing. 

PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES

All current public health measures also remain in place, including the mandatory use of masks in indoor public spaces and the requirement to show proof of full vaccination when accessing certain events, services and businesses.

Anyone entering New Brunswick must pre-register through the New Brunswick Travel Registration Program.

Additional information about the updated measures is available online.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Overcoming scandal and PTSD, Japan’s Princess Mako finally marries college sweetheart

Published

 on

Japan‘s Princess Mako, the emperor’s niece, has married her commoner college sweetheart on Tuesday and left the royal family after a years-long engagement beset by scrutiny that has left the princess with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Mako and fiance Kei Komuro, both 30, announced their engagement four years ago, a move initially cheered by the country. But things soon turned sour as tabloids reported on a money scandal involving Komuro’s mother, prompting the press to turn on him. The marriage was postponed, and he left Japan for law studies in New York in 2018 only to return in September.

Their marriage consisted of an official from the Imperial Household Agency (IHA), which runs the family’s lives, submitting paperwork to a local office in the morning, foregoing the numerous rituals and ceremonies usual to royal weddings, including a reception.

Mako also refused to receive a one-off payment of about $1.3 million typically made to royal women who marry commoners and become ordinary citizens, in line with Japanese law.

Television footage showed Mako, wearing a pastel dress and pearls, saying goodbye to her parents and 26-year-old sister, Kako, at the entrance to their home. Though all wore masks in line with Japan’s coronavirus protocol, her mother could be seen blinking rapidly, as if to fight off tears.

Though Mako bowed formally to her parents, her sister grabbed her shoulders and the two shared a long embrace.

In the afternoon, Mako and her new husband will hold a news conference, which will also depart from custom. While royals typically answer pre-submitted questions at such events, the couple will make a brief statement and hand out written replies to the questions instead.

“Some of the questions took mistaken information as fact and upset the princess,” said officials at the IHA, according to NHK public television.

Komuro, dressed in a crisp dark suit and tie, bowed briefly to camera crews gathered outside his home as he left in the morning but said nothing. His casual demeanour on returning to Japan, including long hair tied back in a ponytail, had sent tabloids into a frenzy.

MONEY SCANDAL

Just months after the two announced their engagement at a news conference where their smiles won the hearts of the nation, tabloids reported a financial dispute between Komuro’s mother and her former fiance, with the man claiming mother and son had not repaid a debt of about $35,000.

The scandal spread to mainstream media after the IHA failed to provide a clear explanation. In 2021, Komuro issued a 24-page statement on the matter and also said he would pay a settlement.

Public opinion polls show the Japanese are divided about the marriage, and there has been at least one protest.

Analysts say the problem is that the imperial family is so idealised that not the slightest hint of trouble with things such as money or politics should touch them.

The fact that Mako’s father and younger brother, Hisahito, are both in the line of succession after Emperor Naruhito, whose daughter is ineligible to inherit, makes the scandal particularly damaging, said Hideya Kawanishi, an associate professor of history at Nagoya University.

“Though it’s true they’ll both be private citizens, Mako’s younger brother will one day become emperor, so some people thought anybody with the problems he (Komuro) had shouldn’t be marrying her,” Kawanishi added.

The two will live in New York, though Mako will remain on her own in Tokyo for some time after the wedding to prepare for the move, including applying for the first passport of her life.

(Reporting by Elaine Lies; Editing by Ana Nicolaci da Costa)

Continue Reading

News

EU countries splinter ahead of crisis talks on energy price spike

Published

 on

Divisions have deepened among European Union countries ahead of an emergency meeting of ministers on Tuesday on their response to a spike in energy prices, with some countries seeking a regulatory overhaul and others firmly opposed.

European gas prices have hit record highs in autumn and remained at lofty levels, prompting most EU countries to respond with emergency measures like price caps and subsidies to help trim consumer energy bills.

Countries are struggling to agree, however, on a longer term plan to cushion against fossil-fuel price swings, which Spain, France, the Czech Republic and Greece say warrant a bigger shake-up of the way EU energy markets work.

Ministers from those countries will make the case on Tuesday for proposals that include decoupling European electricity and gas prices, joint gas buying among countries to create emergency reserves, and, in the case of a few countries including Poland, delaying planned policies to address climate change.

In an indication of differences likely to emerge at the meeting, nine countries including Germany – Europe’s biggest economy and market for electricity – on Monday said they would not support EU electricity market reforms.

“This will not be a remedy to mitigate the current rising energy prices linked to fossil fuels markets,” the countries said in a joint statement.

The European Commission has asked regulators to analyse the design of Europe’s electricity market, but said there was no evidence that a different market structure would have fared better during the recent price jump.

“Any interventions on the market and the decoupling of [gas and power] pricing are off the table,” one EU diplomat said, adding there was “no appetite” among most countries for those measures.

Other proposals – such as countries forming joint gas reserves – would also not offer a quick fix and could take months to negotiate. A European Commission proposal to upgrade EU gas market regulation to make it greener, due in December, is seen as the earliest that such proposals would arrive.

With less than a week until the international COP26 climate change summit, the energy price spike has also stoked tensions between countries over the EU’s green policies, setting up a clash as they prepare to negotiate new proposals including higher tax rates for polluting fuels.

Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban has dismissed such plans as “utopian fantasy”, a stance at odds with other EU countries who say the price jump should trigger a faster switch to low-emission, locally produced renewable energy, to help reduce exposure to imported fossil fuel prices.

 

(Reporting by Kate Abnett; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

Continue Reading

News

Bad weather off Canadian coast preventing efforts to board container ship after fire

Published

 on

Bad weather off Canada‘s Pacific Coast on Monday prevented a salvage crew from boarding a cargo ship where several containers of chemicals burned over the weekend, the coast guard said.

Sixteen crew members were evacuated from the MV Zim Kingston on Saturday. Five remained onboard to fight the fire, which was largely under control by late Sunday.

The company has appointed a salvage crew “but due to the current weather, (they) have been unable to board the container ship”, the coast guard said on Twitter.

“The containers continue to smolder and boundary cooling – spraying water on the hull and on containers near the fire – continues,” it added.

The ship is anchored several kilometers (miles) off the southern coast of Vancouver Island, in the province of British Columbia. There is no impact to human health, the coast guard said.

Danaos Shipping Co, the company that manages the ship, said on Sunday that no injuries had been reported on board.

 

(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Continue Reading

Trending