Connect with us

Health

New Brunswick reports 23 cases of COVID-19, a new single-day record – CBC.ca

Published

 on


New Brunswick officials announced 23 cases of COVID-19 in the province on Saturday, setting a single-day high since the start of the pandemic.

The new cases bring the total of active infections in the province to 71, and one person is in the hospital related to the virus.

New Brunswick now has 424 confirmed cases of coronavirus. There have been 347 recoveries and six deaths.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said New Brunswickers are facing a situation that can quickly turn “serious” without immediate action.

“We need a renewed commitment to slow the spread of COVID-19, and we need it now,” she told a news conference on Saturday afternoon.

On Friday, 1,214 tests were conducted, for a total of 115,234 since the start of the pandemic in March.

The new cases include 16 in the Saint John region (Zone 2), six in the Moncton region (Zone 1) and one in the Fredericton region (Zone 3).

The uptick in new infections is the most since Oct. 20, when officials reported 20 new cases as the Campbellton region grappled with an outbreak.

Both the Moncton and Saint John regions were rolled back to tighter restrictions under the orange recovery phase this week.

Entire province could go orange

Premier Blaine Higgs indicated the entire province could move to orange-level restrictions if the rise in cases continues.

He told reporters that the current increase is a “reality check” that the virus exists in the province.

“We are now in our own bubble in New Brunswick,” he said. “And that bubble is about to burst.”

Public Health also declared an outbreak on Friday following a case of COVID-19 at Shannex: Tucker Hall, a nursing home in Saint John.

The facility reported three more cases, for a total of four. Three residents and one employee have tested positive, according to an update on the home’s website.

(CBC)

All residents and staff at the facility are being tested. As of Saturday morning, 527 tests had been processed, according to Public Health.

Higgs said he is saddened by the possibility of failing in efforts to contain the virus “at the last minute.”

“The threat we have in front of us right now is the entire province could go to orange phase,” he said.

We are now in our own bubble in New Brunswick. And that bubble is about to burst.– Premier Blaine Higgs

Health Minister Dorothy Shepherd urged New Brunswickers to report COVID-19 rule-breakers through the province’s tip line.

She said if efforts to contain the virus don’t improve, regions could see tighter restrictions.

“If we don’t change our behaviours and our actions today, as of this minute, that is where we are headed,” Shepherd said.

Russell said the time it takes for cases to double is concerning, and the situation could quickly escalate “out of control” and risk overwhelming the health-care system.

“We want to be much, much more targeted in our approach right now,” she said.

No details on ‘superspreader’ event

There are now 32 active cases in the Moncton region and 30 in the Saint John region. There are also seven active cases in the Fredericton region and two active cases in the Bathurst region (Zone 6).

Russell said on Friday that a COVID-19 “superspreader” event contributed to doubling confirmed cases in the Saint John region within a day.

But during Saturday’s briefing, she deflected questions about the type of event and the impact on the rise in cases in the Saint John region.

“I don’t really want to focus on one event because there are so many contributing factors to the spread,” she said.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said a ‘superspreader’ event contributed to a rise in cases in the Saint John region. (Government of New Brunswick)

Saint John, Moncton under tighter restrictions

New Brunswick residents are advised to avoid all non-essential travel in and out of the orange zones.

Police officers, peace officers and Public Health inspectors will be in Zones 1 and 2 to monitor orange rules and issue fines as needed.

Residents of the Saint John and Moncton regions are now required to maintain single-household bubbles. This can be extended to caregivers or an immediate family member who lives alone and needs support.

The Saint John region is now in the orange phase with 30 active cases (CBC)

Masks are also mandatory in all indoor and outdoor public places in the orange zones.

Close-contact personal services and entertainment venues can remain open under operational plans.

Potential public exposure has been announced at Saint John restaurants, bars and a dinner theatre.

Potential exposure on flights

Public Health identified a traveller who tested positive and may have been infectious on two flights that arrived on Nov. 7:

Passengers on those flights should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. If symptoms develop, they should self-isolate and get tested.

Gatherings in orange phase

The province also rolled out new rules for gatherings:

  • Residents must stay within a single-household bubble.

  • No informal indoor gatherings beyond this single household bubble are permitted.

  • Outdoor gatherings with physical distancing of 25 people or fewer are permitted.   

  • Formal gatherings of up to 25 people allowed for weddings, funerals and faith-based services.

  • Faith venues may hold services with up to 50 people, but masks are mandatory. 

  • Restaurant dining rooms can remain open, but a single-household bubble must be maintained.  

A full list of the rules under the orange phase is on the government’s website.

WATCH | N.B. Premier Higgs on COVID-19 in province:

New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs is pleading with residents to repeat the efforts made earlier this year to flatten the COVID-19 case curve. On Saturday, the province reached a single-day record. 6:03

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Potential exposure to COVID-19 reported at various locations in Halifax – Global News

Published

 on


Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of potential exposure to COVID-19 at six locations across Halifax on Thursday.

Nova Scotia Health Public Health is asking that anyone who visited or worked at the following locations on the specified date and time to immediately self-isolate and contact 811 to arrange for COVID-19 testing, regardless of whether or not they have COVID-19 symptoms.

READ MORE: Spike in COVID-19 cases renews parent concerns about keeping Halifax-area schools open

  • Stillwell (1672 Barrington St, Halifax) on Nov. 20 between 6 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 4.
  • Bearly’s House of Blues and Ribs (1269 Barrington St, Halifax) on Nov. 20 between 8:30 p.m. and 2 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 4.
  • Highwayman (1673 Barrington St, Halifax) on Nov. 21 between 7:30 p.m. and 12 a.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 5.
  • Gahan House (5239 Sackville St, Halifax) on Nov. 21 between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 5.
  • Princess Nails (1475 Bedford Highway, Bedford) on Nov. 21 between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. It is anticipated anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the above date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 5.
  • Boston Pizza Dartmouth Crossing (111 Shubie Dr, Dartmouth) on Nov. 20 between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and Nov. 22 between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 6.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

According to N.S. Health, all potential exposure notifications are now listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures.

Story continues below advertisement


Click to play video 'Second wave of COVID-19 brings new wave of discrimination'



1:57
Second wave of COVID-19 brings new wave of discrimination


Second wave of COVID-19 brings new wave of discrimination

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Simcoe Manor outbreak declared over according to the health unit – 104.1 The Dock (iHeartRadio)

Published

 on


The outbreak at Simcoe Manor in Beeton has been declared over, according to the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit’s website.

The two-month-long outbreak at the long-term care home saw more than 70 people test positive for the coronavirus – 43 residents and 32 staff – while ten residents succumbed to the infection since September 29.

The outbreak at the Allandale Station Retirement Residence has also been declared over, however, outbreaks remain in place at both Sunset Manor in Collingwood and Holland Gardens Retirement Residence in Bradford.

Meanwhile, 14 more people tested positive in the city of Barrie as the SMDHU reported 30 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 with the region inching closer to 2,000 total cases.

Thursday’s numbers from the health unit show the region now stands at 1,983 cases – 153 since Monday – with new infections in New Tecumseth (6), Bradford (3), and Springwater (2).

Innisfil, Tiny, Collingwood, and Essa are all reporting one new case, while one case is still pending.

Meanwhile, the province is reporting an uptick in cases, confirming 1,478 more people have tested positive for the virus, up from 1,373 on Wednesday.

Ontario also processed more than 47,000 COVID-19 tests over the last day, with about 53,000 swabs still under investigation.

With files from CTV News Toronto.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

30 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Simcoe Muskoka, local total reaches 1,983 – Global News

Published

 on


The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit confirmed 30 new novel coronavirus on Thursday, bringing the local total number of cases up to 1,983, including 52 deaths.

Fourteen of the new cases are in Barrie, while six are in New Tecumseth, three are in Bradford and two are in Springwater.

The rest are in Collingwood, Essa, Innisfil and Tiny Township.

Read more:
Auditor general highlights Ontario’s ‘confusing,’ indirect communications on COVID-19 in new report

Twelve of the new cases are a result of close contact with another positive COVID-19 case, while seven are community-acquired. Two of the new cases are related to an educational setting outbreak, while on is travel-related.

The rest of the new cases are all under investigation.

Story continues below advertisement

This week, the health unit has reported 149 new coronavirus cases.

Last week, there were 200 new COVID-19 cases in the region, marking the highest number of cases reported in a single week since the start of the pandemic.






1:33
Ontario may not get coronavirus vaccine in early 2021: Health minister


Ontario may not get coronavirus vaccine in early 2021: Health minister

Of the region’s total 1,983 coronavirus cases, 87 per cent — or 1,717 — have recovered, while 13 people remain in hospital.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

There are 13 total COVID-19 outbreaks in the region — at four schools, two long-term care facilities, two congregate settings, two workplaces, one retirement home and two community settings.

The school outbreaks are at St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School, Willow Landing Elementary School and Warnica Public School, all of which are in Barrie, as well as Nottawasaga Pines Secondary School in Angus.

Story continues below advertisement

There has been 61 outbreaks in Simcoe Muskoka since the start of the pandemic — at 20 long-term care facilities, 14 workplaces, 10 retirement homes, eight educational settings, six congregate settings and three community settings.

Read more:
Ontario reports 1,373 new coronavirus cases, 35 more deaths

According to the province of Ontario, 14 schools under the public Simcoe County school board and the Catholic Simcoe Muskoka school board are reporting at least one case of COVID-19.

The affected schools are:

  • Warnica Public School in Barrie
  • Innisdale Secondary School in Barrie
  • Monsignor Clair Catholic School in Barrie
  • St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Barrie
  • Willow Landing Elementary School in Barrie
  • St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School in Barrie
  • Bradford District High School
  • Fieldcrest Elementary School in Bradford
  • Nottawasaga Pines Secondary School in Essa
  • Our Lady of Grace School in Essa
  • Boyne River Public School in New Tecumseth
  • St. Paul’s Catholic School in New Tecumseth
  • Holy Family Catholic School in New Tecumseth
  • Nantyr Shores Secondary School in Innisfil

On Thursday, Ontario reported 1,373 new coronavirus cases, bringing the provincial total to 107,883, including 3,554 deaths.

Advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending