Connect with us

Health

New Brunswick reports fourth COVID-19 death, 6 new cases – CTV News Atlantic

Published

 on


HALIFAX —
New Brunswick reported its fourth COVID-19-related death, as well as six new cases in the Campbellton region (Zone 5), on Wednesday.

Public Health confirms that an individual between the ages of 70 and 79 died Wednesday in Zone 5 (Campbellton region) as a result of underlying complications, including COVID-19.

“The loss of another person in our province related to COVID-19 is not news we ever want to have to share,” said New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs in a news release. “I, along with all New Brunswickers, send sincere condolences to the family and friends of this individual, as well as to everyone who continues to be impacted by the recent outbreaks.”

“I ask all New Brunswick to join me in extending our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of the deceased,” added Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health. “It has been difficult to witness the unfolding outbreak in the Campbellton-Restigouche region.”

In addition to the death, New Brunswick is reporting six new cases of COVID-19, all in the Campbellton region. The individuals are all self-isolating and the cases are under investigation.

The new cases involve:

  • One individual under the age of 19
  • One individual in their 30s
  • Two people in their 40s
  • One individual in their 50s
  • One individual in their 60s

Nine previously reported cases are now considered recovered, dropping the total number of active cases in the province to 92, with 57 of those reported in the Campbellton area (Zone 5).

CASE OUTLOOK

The number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 319 and 223 cases are considered recovered, leaving 92 active cases in the province. There have been four deaths in the province.

Five patients are hospitalized, with one in an intensive care unit.

As of Tuesday, 94,322 COVID-19 tests have been conducted.

The number of cases are broken down by New Brunswick’s seven health zones:

  • Zone 1 – Moncton region: 93 confirmed cases (33 active cases)
  • Zone 2 – Saint John region: 32 confirmed cases (1 active case)
  • Zone 3 – Fredericton region: 60 confirmed cases (1 active case)
  • Zone 4 – Edmundston region: 8 confirmed cases
  • Zone 5 – Campbellton region: 120 confirmed cases (57 active cases)
  • Zone 6 – Bathurst region: 3 confirmed cases
  • Zone 7 – Miramichi region: 3 confirmed cases

SECOND CASE CONFIRMED AT DALHOUSIE SCHOOL

Dalhousie Regional High School is reporting its second positive case of COVID-19 in just over a week. 

The school confirmed the case in a letter to parents on Tuesday. 

The case is not connected to the first positive case at the school, which was first confirmed on Oct. 12.

ZONE 1 AND ZONE 5 REMAIN IN ORANGE PHASE

Both Zone 1 (Moncton region) and Zone 5 in New Brunswick remained in the orange phase Wednesday, but it is anticipated that Zone 1 will return to the yellow phase this week.

There are 33 active cases in Zone 1, but Dr. Jennifer Russell, New Brunswick’s chief medical officer of health, has said the novel coronavirus appears to be contained, and, if current trends continue, the Moncton region will return to the yellow phase this Friday. 

Zone 5 will remain at the orange level, however. 

VEHICLE TRAFFIC INFORMATION

New Brunswick’s online dashboard includes information about vehicle traffic attempting to enter the province.

On Tuesday, 1,807 personal and 1,530 commercial vehicles attempted to cross the border into the province.

Of the vehicles attempting to cross the border, 29 were refused entry, for a refusal rate of 0.9 per cent.  

This is a developing story, more to come.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Another record-breaking COVID-19 update: B.C. adds 887 cases, 13 deaths – CTV News Vancouver

Published

 on


VANCOUVER —
British Columbia added 887 cases of COVID-19 to its total on Thursday, setting a new daily record for the province.

Health officials also announced 13 deaths in their written statement on B.C.’s response to the disease. That ties the record set on Wednesday.

“We offer our condolences to everyone who has lost their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix in their statement.

The province has now seen 29,973 cases and 384 deaths since the pandemic began.

As of Thursday, there are 7,899 active cases of the coronavirus in B.C., which is also a record. That total includes 294 people who are hospitalized, 64 of whom are in intensive care.

The update comes the day after health officials revised several previous reports on B.C.’s COVID-19 caseload because of technical errors in the Fraser Health region.

The province had previously announced 941 new cases on Tuesday, which was a record, but some of those cases actually should have been reported earlier in the month.

The changes meant B.C.’s record for new cases in a day was actually 835, which should have been the total reported for Saturday, Nov. 21. B.C. initially reported 713 for that day.

In Thursday’s update, Dix and Henry also announced two new outbreaks of COVID-19 at health-care facilities – at Royal Ascot Care Centre in Vancouver and Amica White Rock.

Three other outbreaks – at Hamlets at Westsyde in Kamloops, Peace Portal Seniors Village in Surrey and Village by the Station in Penticton – are over, the health officials said.

“Slow and steady is what we need with COVID-19 and it is how we will get through this second wave,” Henry and Dix said. “The efforts we make each day make a difference.”

The pair repeated their request that British Columbians do what they can to help public health teams do their jobs. Those teams are currently following up regularly with 10,307 people who have been exposed to confirmed cases of COVID-19.

“Exposures and transmission can happen anywhere,” Dix and Henry said. “By paying attention to the places we go and the people we see, we can help contact tracers contain the further spread if that does occur.”

Most of Thursday’s new cases are located in the Fraser Health region, where 612 infections have been confirmed in the last 24 hours. Vancouver Coastal Health has recorded 168 cases in that time.

Elsewhere in B.C., there have been 65 cases in Interior Health, 24 in Northern Health and 18 in Island Health.

Nearly 20,000 people – 19,998 as of Thursday – who have tested positive for COVID-19 in B.C. are now considered recovered.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 outbreak declared at another Winnipeg hospital – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

 on


WINNIPEG —
Another hospital in Winnipeg is declaring a COVID-19 outbreak in one of its units.

The province announced Thursday afternoon that the N3 West unit at Concordia Hospital has declared a COVID-19 outbreak. The site is now at the critical or red level on the province’s Pandemic Response System.

“Outbreak protocols have been implemented at the hospital to ensure the ongoing protection of patients, staff and visitors,” the hospital said in a statement. “Anyone potentially exposed are being identified and directed to self-isolate and, if necessary, will be tested as we investigate the origins of the transmission.”

The hospital will suspend new patient admissions to the impacted unit, and visits are also suspended.

Other hospitals in Winnipeg currently dealing with active COVID-19 outbreaks include the Health Sciences Centre, Grace Hospital, and Victoria General Hospital.

CTV Winnipeg has reached out to Concordia Hospital for more information, including the number of cases connected to the outbreak.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Community cluster declared in Revelstoke; 22 cases in past 2 weeks – Global News

Published

 on


A coronavirus cluster has been declared in the small B.C. city of Revelstoke.

On Thursday, Interior Health announced a spike in cases in Revelstoke and the surrounding area, stating 22 cases have been identified over the past 14 days, including 12 cases reported on Tuesday.

The health agency said social gatherings appear to be responsible for some of these transmissions.

Read more:
Pressure grows for Alberta and B.C. to join COVID Alert app as cases surge

“This highlights the importance, especially at this time, of limiting your social activities and following COVID-19 protocols when indoors,” said Interior Health.

“This includes maintaining physical distancing and masking when unable to stay apart.”

It also said “this cluster illustrates that COVID-19 is in smaller rural communities as well as larger urban centres.”

Story continues below advertisement






0:42
Video appears to Dawson Creek Walmart employee assaulted after asking someone to wear a mask


Video appears to Dawson Creek Walmart employee assaulted after asking someone to wear a mask

According to the health agency, no exposures have been identified in Revelstoke school settings at this time, and that students can continue to go to school.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If there is a case, school administration will be alerted and appropriate steps taken to communicate with parents and ensure the safety of our school population,” it said.

Interior Health said it will monitor this cluster for additional cases, adding “we also would like to highlight the importance of limiting travel to essential travel only.”

Located around 560 kilometres east of Vancouver along the Trans-Canada Highway, Revelstoke has an official population of around 7,000 – though that was from 2016. Last year, following a third-party count, the city said in a press release its population was around 13,000.


Click to play video 'B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines'



1:48
B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines


B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending