New rules came into affect late last month to create stronger consumer protections when it comes to Canada’s banking system, but some advocates said the new regulations don’t go far enough.
“These rule changes are baby steps to improving things a little bit,” said Duff Conacher, with Democracy Watch, a corporate responsibility advocacy group.
There are more than 60 changes to Canada’s Bank Act, which includes things like shorter wait times for resolving complaints, electronic alerts warning of low bank balances and limits in place as to how much you’re responsible for if your credit card is lost or stolen.
The rule changes have been ten years in the making and even though the government of Canada adopted legislation to modernize the new rules in 2018, they only took affect three and a half years later on June 30, 2022.
Some of the new changes to help benefit Canada’s 30 million banking customers include a bank must deal with customer complaints within 56 days instead of 90 days.
Banks must limit liability on lost or stolen credit cards to $50 and warn customers if they go into overdraft or over their credit limit, which could incur them added fees.
After complaints that banks were pitching expensive and unneeded products to their clients, they can now only sell products and services that are appropriate for their customers needs.
Conacher said banks had been selling products and services that would benefit their bottom line.
“Reports by whistle blowers revealed that banks were upselling, essentially selling consumers things they didn’t need in order to make more money and that is going to be prohibited,” said Conacher.
CTV News Toronto reached out to Canada’s big banks and was directed to the Canadian Bankers Association.
A spokesperson for the association said in a statement, “Building and maintaining strong customer relationships is of fundamental importance for banks in Canada. Banks devote considerable time, effort and resources to help ensure customers are provided products and services that are appropriate for them and which they have consented to receive.”
“Banks are committed to compliance with consumer protection measures and have well established codes of conduct that articulate standards of employee behaviour, including expectations related to ethics, integrity and sales practices. The Canadian Bankers Association and its members have long supported a strong federal regulatory framework for consumers.”
While it is good news for bank customers that they can now only be held liable for $50 if their credit card is lost or stolen, Conacher said banks can also say the client was negligent protecting their credit card information and find them responsible for any fraud that has occurred.
“The bank can say it’s your fault and then you are on your own trying to go to court and do what you can to stop them from taking money out of your account to pay for the credit card charges that were made,” said Conacher.
Under the new rules banks will also have to create a whistleblower program that will allow their employees to come forward to expose problems that would otherwise go unreported.
International support for miners rescue was ‘heartwarming,’ says company president
OTTAWA — The recent successful rescue of two miners trapped in a mine in the Dominican Republic for more than a week was made possible thanks to support from the international community including direct assistance from the Royal Canadian Air Force, according to the president of the company at the centre of the incident.
Paul Marinko, head of the Dominican Mining Corporation known as Cormidom, said Canada played a critical role in transporting equipment that was ultimately used to help liberate the men from the Cerro de Maimón operation.
The miners’ ordeal saw Gregores Mendez and Carlos Yepez spend 10 days trapped 31 metres under the surface from July 31 to Aug. 9.
Marinko said domestic support for the rescue effort was strong, with Dominican President Luis Abinader calling every day to check in on the status of the rescue and various government departments providing direct support on the ground.
But he said experts from the U.S., Canada and the U.K. were also involved, and the Canadian government played a key role in obtaining and providing equipment for the rescue operation.
“It was heartwarming to actually see that response,” Marinko said in a Zoom interview.
Marinko said the company swung into action immediately after the “fall of ground” that left the miners confined in a 400-square-meter space. Within 15 hours of the incident, he said crews involved in the rescue had established a hole through which they delivered water, food, walkie-talkies, entertainment and a light source.
Nonetheless, Marinko said the experience would have been terrifying for the two men.
The miners eventually reported rising water levels that eventually reached waist level, but Marinko says they were able to pump the water out at a speed six times the rate of the inflow.
“You could imagine being trapped, seeing rising water and knowing that rescue is not going to be quick. So they went through some terrifying moments,” he said.
After assessing what equipment would be needed to safely rescue the miners, Marinko said the company began trying to track it down abroad.
Machines Rogers International, a mining company based in Val D’Or, Que. agreed to lend the necessary machinery to Cormidom and the Dominican government got in touch with Ottawa for assistance in transporting the gear.
“The problem for us was to transport … was just beyond our resources, we didn’t have the capacity to do that,” Marinko said.
The Royal Canadian Air Force transported the mining excavation system to the Dominican capital of Santo Domingo on Aug. 7. Two days later, the miners were rescued with assistance from a team sent over by Machines Rogers International.
Defence Minister Anita Anand issued a tweet on Tuesday thanking the Royal Canadian Air Force personnel involved in the mission.
“To our aviators – you make Canadians proud, and we are grateful for your service,” Anand wrote.
Marinko said the two miners were released from hospital on Thursday and are now with their families.
The rescue comes after the collapse of a coal mine in Mexico that left 15 miners trapped, with five escaping with injuries. Rescue divers’ first attempts to reach the remaining 10 miners failed, Mexican authorities said on Thursday.
“I think of those poor men trapped in Mexico,” Marinko said. “We were lucky.”
The cause of the incident at Cerro de Maimón is currently under investigation and the underground mine is temporarily closed.
“When the authorities and more importantly, when I’m satisfied it’s safe, we’ll go back in,” Marinko said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 14, 2022.
Nojoud Al Mallees, The Canadian Press
One dead & 40 injured at Medusa Festival in Spain
Cullera, Spain- One person has been confirmed dead, a 22-year-old male, and 40 injured after the main entrance and the main stage of the Medusa Festival collapsed in the wee hours of Saturday.
According to Spain‘s paramilitary police unit, the stage collapsed due to a strong gust of wind which had reached more than 51mph (82kmh).
In addition, the Valencia section of Spain’s national weather service (AEMET) said that warm breezes were producing very strong gusts of wind and abrupt increases in temperature. At one point the temperature was a blistering 40.5 Celsius (104.9 degrees Fahrenheit) at the Alicante-Elche airport, just south of the concert site.
Videos posted on social media early Saturday showed strong winds and structures falling from the stage as large crowds of festival attendees were evacuated. The videos also showed the moment when the venue’s structures, including the main stage, fell on people in the front rows.
“A terrible accident that shocks all of us. I want to extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young man who died early this morning at the Medusa Festival in Cullera,” said Ximo Puig, president of the Valencia regional government.
Meanwhile, organizers of the festival, which was supposed to see a total of 320 000 attendees over three days from Friday through Sunday, said they are completely devastated and dismayed at what happened this morning and said they had suspended the festival.
“At around four in the morning, unexpected and violent strong winds destroyed certain areas of the festival, forcing management to make the immediate decision to vacate the concert area to guarantee the safety of attendees, workers and artists.
Unfortunately, the devastating meteorological phenomenon led some structures to cause unexpected consequences. All our support and affection for those affected in these difficult and sad times.
Due to inclement weather occurring in the early hours of Aug. 13, 2022, and with the aim of guaranteeing the security of the concert-goers, workers and artists gathered at the Medusa Festival, the festival organization suspends its activity for the time being.
The festival site is cleared as a preventative measure with the aim of facilitating the work of the emergency and security services at the Medusa Festival,” said the organizers in a statement.
There were about 50 000 people at the festival site when the incident happened, and it took 40 minutes to evacuate people from the site.
Quebec towns protecting right to serve residents in English after new language law
MONTREAL — Quebec’s new language law has dozens of municipalities in the province shoring up their bilingual status, with few considering giving up the right to serve their citizens in both English and French.
Almost 90 cities, towns or boroughs in Quebec are considered officially bilingual, a designation allowing them to offer services, post signage and mail communications in the country’s two official languages. Jurisdictions without this status must communicate only in French, with few exceptions.
Bill 96, the new language law that came into effect June 1, proposes that a municipality’s bilingual status be revoked in places where fewer than 50 per cent of citizens have English as a mother tongue. However, a bilingual town or city can avoid losing its status by passing a resolution within 120 days of receiving notice from the province.
Scott Pearce, the mayor of the township of Gore, north of Montreal, said choosing to remain bilingual was an easy decision for his town of just over 1,700 people.
“We were founded here by the Irish in the 1800s, so it’s part of our history — speaking English and English culture,” he said in a recent interview.
While the percentage of residents in Gore who speak English as a mother tongue has dropped from over 50 per cent to around 20 per cent, he said maintaining bilingualism is popular among French-speaking and English-speaking citizens alike.
Language, he said, “has never been an issue here.”
Pearce, who represents bilingual municipalities at the province’s federation of towns and cities — Fédération Québécoise des municipalités — said most of the mayors he’s spoken with plan on passing similar resolutions, or have already done so.
“I talked to mayors from all over the province, and they’re really proud of the bilingual status and how their communities — English and French — get along,” he said.
While Bill 96 has been criticized by groups representing English-speakers, Pearce, who is married to a sitting legislature member, says he believes that in this instance, the governing party has done the towns a favour by giving them an easy way to formalize their status.
The Canadian Press reached out to all the bilingual municipalities and boroughs to ask them whether they have passed, or plan to pass, a resolution to keep their status. Of more than two dozen that responded, all but three said they intended to remain bilingual. The others said they were still studying the law or declined to comment. None said they planned to give up being considered officially bilingual.
A spokesperson for the province’s language office, the Office québécois de la langue française, said in an email that notices would be sent “shortly” to towns that no longer meet the 50 per cent threshold.
While they can offer services in English, “a municipality recognized as bilingual must nevertheless ensure that its services to the public are available in the official language of Quebec, French,” Nicolas Trudel wrote in an email.
The official purpose of Bill 96 is to affirm that French is Quebec’s only official language and “the common language of the Québec nation.” But four mayors who spoke to The Canadian Press by phone, as well as many of those who responded by email, all said the decision to operate in two languages was unanimous among city council and raised little to no debate among citizens.
“I believe the French language is already protected, and well protected,” said Richard Burcombe, the mayor of Town of Brome Lake, in Quebec’s Eastern Townships. “They don’t need to eliminate services to the English population to protect the French language.”
He said his town, which falls below the 50 per cent threshold, hasn’t yet passed a resolution but will do so once it receives a notice.
Kirkland, a city in the Montreal area, described bilingualism as a “core value in all aspects of municipal life,” while Ayer’s Cliff, Que., in the Eastern Townships, said it was “essential to the character of the municipality and as testimony to the historical presence of the two communities, anglophone and francophone.”
Otterburn Park, a town 40 kilometres east of Montreal, said it wanted to keep its bilingual status despite only 5.7 per cent of its population reporting English as a mother tongue in the last census.
“The English-speaking population is largely made up of seniors,” Mayor Mélanie Villeneuve wrote in an email.
“With a view to providing quality service, particularly to more vulnerable groups of people, we believe it is important to be able to communicate with English-speaking citizens in the language that works for them.”
Several of the mayors expressed hope that the choice to remain bilingual would be accepted as permanent and that they wouldn’t have to pass new resolutions every time there’s a census.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 14, 2022.
Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press
Three strategies to help you take the emotion out of investing – Financial Post
Edmonton commercial real estate market hits $1.46B in sales mid-2022: report – Edmonton Journal
Latvia in QF, Slovakia out – IIHF
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
Politics17 hours ago
Bill Graham, a political rarity, was a beacon of civility in federal government – The Globe and Mail
Art7 hours ago
Chapel Hill Art + Transit partners with local artists for LGBTQ+ themed designs – The Daily Tar Heel
Art19 hours ago
Tehran Unveils Western Art Masterpieces Hidden for Decades – Voice of America – VOA News
Tech13 hours ago
Microsoft Office to support Apple Pencil’s handwriting-to-text feature – The Siasat Daily
Science18 hours ago
Science News | Researchers Discover Use of Sound, Bubbles to Make Bandages Stickier, Long Lasting – LatestLY
Sports11 hours ago
Rory MacDonald announces retirement after 2022 PFL Playoffs exit – MMA Fighting
Economy20 hours ago
6 Questions About the Market & the Economy – A Wealth of Common Sense
Art19 hours ago
Van Buren artist overcomes adversity through art – SWTImes