The person travelled to Quebec earlier this month and did not self-isolate upon their return.
The new cases are of an individual under 19, another between 40 and 49 and the third over 90, who all reside in the Campbellton region.
At Thursday’s press briefing, Premier Blaine Higgs said information on this health-care professional has been passed along to the RCMP to determine exactly what took place and whether charges are warranted.
“I understand the person’s employer is also looking into the matter and I am confident the appropriate steps to address this incident will be taken.”
CEO of Vitalité Health Network Gilles Lanteigne said it has been contact-tracing since Wednesday afternoon and has so far tested 50 to 60 employees who had been in direct or indirect contact with the physician.
“We do the staff and the physicians that are under Vitalité and then probably help test the community contacts by doing over 100 tests,” said Lanteigne.
Campbellton Regional Hospital
As a result of the recent case of the health-care professional, the province announced that the emergency department at the Campbellton Regional Hospital is closed until further notice due to the increased risk of COVID-19.
“Non-urgent or elective health-care services at the hospital have also been put on hold. For now, patients seeking emergency care are asked to visit the Chaleur Regional Hospital in Bathurst,” the province said in a statement.
Higgs said many Zone 5 health-care workers and their families “are concerned about their potential exposure to the virus.”
“They are doing the right thing by getting tested and self-isolating until they have the results. Health-care workers in Bathurst are being asked to take on additional patients while their colleagues in Campbellton are unable to work,” he said.
Back to Orange level
On Wednesday, Zone 5 transitioned back to Orange level under the province’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
“The only reason we went back to Orange in that case (was) because we have a lot of contact tracing to do… so being very aware and needing to close the hospital in the region right now,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health.
So far, she said 811 has received many calls, and about 290 people will be tested.
“We have great capacity to do that.”
In the meantime, Russell said the province could see transmission of the virus in other parts of New Brunswick if people have travelled to Zone 5 (Campbellton region) and did not maintain physical distancing.
Russell also noted that testing in the coming days will reveal a lot of information about the extent of transmission that may have taken place.
According to the province, the following rules apply to Zone 5 only:
- A two-household bubble is permitted. Your household can join up with one other household if both households mutually agree. You must not have close contact with anyone else. You cannot join up with more than one household or bubble.
- Non-regulated health professionals and businesses such as acupuncturists and naturopaths cannot operate at this time.
- Personal services businesses such as barbers, hairstylists, spas, estheticians, manicurists, pedicurists and tattoo artists cannot operate at this time.
The province said officials from WorkSafeNB and the Department of Public Safety are in the area to ensure compliance.
“They will closely monitor and assess the situation in the days ahead,” the province said in a statement.
All other zones in New Brunswick will remain at Yellow level.
The state of emergency has also been extended for another 14 days.
Both cabinet and the all-party cabinet committee have approved the extension. New Brunswick has been under a state of emergency since March 19.
To date, 23,693 tests have been conducted in New Brunswick. There have been 126 confirmed cases. The number of active cases is six and 120 people have recovered from their illness. None of the active cases are in hospital.
Edited By Harry Miller
P.E.I. identifies two new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of active cases to five – CTV News
Prince Edward Island is reporting two new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to five.
To date, P.E.I. has had a total of 32 cases of the virus.
P.E.I.’s chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison said in a news conference on Sunday that the two newest cases are a result of close contact with one of the positive cases reported on Saturday.
The new cases involve two men in their 20s who are both residents of Prince Edward Island, and are both self-isolating for 14-days.
UPDATE ON SATURDAY CASES
Morrison also provided an update on the three cases announced on Saturday. She reminded everyone they involve island residents, who travelled outside of the province.
She says none of the new positive cases are a result of seasonal residents or the Atlantic bubble.
“So to recap from yesterday, one case was an essential worker who travelled outside of Atlantic Canada,” explained Morrison.
“And the other two cases, a man in his 20s who travelled to Nova Scotia and had contact with an individual who had recently travelled from the U.S., and a woman in her 20s, who is also a close contact of this case.”
Morrison confirmed the woman in her 20s is an employee at the Whisperwood Villa Seniors Home in Charlottetown, P.E.I., who they’ve been working very closely with to slow down any further spread of the virus.
WHISPERWOOD VILLA TESTING
Since the new positive cases were announced on the island, testing at Whisperwood Villa has increased and contact tracing has begun.
“One-hundred-and-twenty-nine residents, and 140 staff were tested yesterday, and all results have come back negative,” said Morrison.
“Visitors who were at Whisperwood Villa on Tuesday, June the 30th are being contacted to arrange for testing today.”
Morrison also advised that all residents and staff at the home will be retested later this week.
CONTACT TRACING FOR SATURDAY CASES
After contact tracing was complete, it was determined the woman in her 20s was in close contact with nine individuals. They have all been tested, and have come back negative. All nine people will remain in self-isolation for 14-days, and will be contacted by public health daily.
The man in his 20s was in close contact with five individuals, two of which have tested positive, and are self-isolating at home.
The man in his 50s with a positive COVID-19 test announced on Saturday was in close contact with one person, who is also at home self-isolating for 14-days.
TESTING ON THE ISLAND
With the new cases of COVID-19 on the island, testing has ramped up to curve the spread.
Morrison said 406 swab tests were completed on Saturday, a record high testing day for Prince Edward Island.
“At this point there is no evidence of community spread of COVID-19 in our province, and the risk of transmission of COVID-19 in the province remains low,” said Morrison.
Morrison said these new cases of COVID-19 on the island is a reminder for all atlantic Canadians to keep their social circles small, and adhere to all public health directives.
Quebec reports 79 new cases, eight additional deaths linked to COVID-19 – Brandon Sun
MONTREAL – Quebec reported eight additional deaths due to COVID-19 on Sunday as health officials south of Montreal probed a cluster of positive cases stemming from a local bar.
The province, the hardest hit in Canada by COVID-19, has reported 5,574 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic, but only one of those reported on Sunday was classified as a new death.
Authorities said the other seven deaths occurred before June 27.
The province also reported 79 new cases in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 55,863.
On Saturday, the province had crept up over 100 daily cases for the first time since June 20.
The number of hospitalizations and intensive-care cases decreased slightly for a total of 371 and 26 patients, respectively.
As the province has gradually reopened sectors, health authorities have said they’ve been keeping watch for outbreaks, like one on Montreal’s South Shore where health officials warned of COVID-19 cases stemming from people who went to a bar in Brossard, Que.
Health officials urged patrons who went to the Mile Public House restaurant in the Dix-30 commercial district on the evening of June 30 between 8 p.m. and closing to get tested.
The restaurant also urged patrons to isolate and get tested, noting in an online post that the outbreak involves five people from the same group, seated at the same table.
Dr. Julie Loslier, the regional public health director, said in a video published Sunday that it was a reminder to respect prevention instructions in all shops and public places.
“It would be a mistake to think that this establishment is more at risk or more dangerous than another. This is not at all the case,” Loslier said.
She noted the bar has already been disinfected and was only identified because of the public health investigation underway, but added this kind of transmission can occur in any business.
The restaurant management said on its Facebook page that all employees will be tested and those working that night have are self-isolating.
Loslier drew attention to the COVID-19 situation in the United States, where bars have been at the heart of some outbreaks.
“We have seen with our neighbours to the south that the situation with bars has given rise to outbreaks and more and more cases, especially among younger populations, and we would especially not want to have to go back,” she said.
Loslier said physical distancing seems to narrow with alcohol consumption, but the responsibility for following public health rules is a shared one between owners and customers.
Dr. Horacio Arruda, Quebec’s public health director, was in the region on Friday and warned citizens not to let their guard down and continue to practice physical distancing, hygiene measures and wearing masks when a two-metre distance can’t be kept.
Also Friday, the hospital in St-Jerome, Que., about 60 kilometres north of Montreal, announced it was suspending regular visits indefinitely and restricting access to its end-of-life, palliative and birthing units with authorization only after a novel coronavirus outbreak in the facility.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 5, 2020.
P.E.I. reports 2 new coronavirus cases on Sunday – Globalnews.ca
Prince Edward Island is reporting two additional cases of the novel coronavirus on Sunday, bringing the total number of active cases on the island to five.
The province’s chief public health officer, Dr. Heather Morrison, has stressed that the five new cases are not seasonal residents of P.E.I. and all predate the newly established Atlantic bubble.
All are related to travel outside of the province, Morrison said at a briefing on Sunday.
On Saturday the province reported that one of the confirmed cases was an essential worker who travelled outside of Atlantic Canada.
The other two cases are a 20-year-old who travelled to Nova Scotia and then had contact with someone who had recently travelled to the United States, and a woman in her 20s who is a close contact of the 20-year-old.
The woman in her 20s is a worker at Whisperwood Villa in Charlottetown.
Morrison said 129 residents and 140 workers Whisperwood Villa were tested on Saturday. All results came back negative, she confirmed, although they will be re-tested later this week.
Confederation Bridge sees long lines after opening Atlantic travel
Anyone who was a visitor to the long-term care facility on June 30 is being contacted in order to arrange for testing.
The two additional cases announced on Sunday are both men in their 20s.
They were close contacts of the 20-year-old man that tested positive on Saturday.
“At this point, there is no evidence of community spread of COVID-19 in our province,” said Morrison.
“The risk of community transmission of COVID-19 in our province remains low.”
She credited the team of contact tracers for the province’s swift response to the new cluster of cases.
Morrison added that 406 tests were completed on Saturday, a record number of tests for P.E.I. in a single day.
Sunday marked the third full day of the Atlantic travel bubble, which permits interprovincial travel between Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador without self-isolation.
However, restrictions remain in place. You can learn what you need to do ahead of time for each province here.
P.E.I. Premier Dennis King said the new cases were not likely to bring an end to the newly established bubble.
Atlantic Canadian provinces lift restrictions, begin travel bubble
At the press update on Sunday, King said he had not talked to any of his fellow Atlantic premiers since the announcement of new cases on Saturday.
“As of right now, we will continue working on the situation here we have at hand,” said King.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
On starting out in the media biz… – Colorado Hockey Now
Lewis Hamilton, other F1 drivers take a knee at Austrian Grand Prix – Globalnews.ca
Microsoft to auto upgrade some business and education PCs to Chromium Edge in August – Reseller News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Tech14 hours ago
Another COVID-19 case confirmed in Sarnia-Lambton – Sarnia Observer
- Health19 hours ago
Four straight days of no new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba – CTV News Winnipeg
- News21 hours ago
Two-thirds of Canadians support closing businesses again if COVID-19 cases spike: survey – CTV News
- Real eState18 hours ago
LACKIE: Pandemic real estate hit costing city dearly – Toronto Sun
- Art21 hours ago
How I learned to stop worrying and love online art galleries – The Globe and Mail
- Investment22 hours ago
Africa's Biggest Investment Takes Shape Under Islamist Threat – BNN
- Science19 hours ago
Rocket Lab launch fails during rocket's second stage burn, causing a loss of vehicle and payloads – Yahoo Finance UK
- Sports20 hours ago
Yankees' Tanaka released from hospital after line drive to head – CANOE