Connect with us

Health

New COVID-19 death related to Manitoba care home outbreak – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

on


WINNIPEG —
Health officials have announced another person in Manitoba has died due to COVID-19, and the death is connected to an outbreak at a Manitoba personal care home.

On Tuesday, health officials announced in a news release that this is the 13th death related to COVID-19 in Manitoba since the pandemic hit the province.

The person who died was a woman in her 90s from the Steinbach health district in the Southern Health-Santé Sud region. The province said the case was connected to a known outbreak at Bethesda Place personal care home.

A provincial spokesperson told CTV News the number of cases connected to Bethesda Place personal care home remains at seven.

The province announced 25 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of active cases in Manitoba to 399.

Of the cases announced on Tuesday:

  • 10 are in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
  • nine are in Southern Health-Santé Sud; and
  • six are in the Winnipeg health region.

“Case investigations are ongoing and when they are completed, additional information will be provided as needed to inform of any public health risks,” the province said in a news release.

THE DISTRICTS IN MANITOBA WITH THE MOST COVID-19 CASES

According to provincial data, the Prairie Mountain Health region currently has the highest number of active cases (203) in the province. The majority of these cases are in the Brandon district, which has 120 active cases.

Not including Brandon, the districts in Manitoba with the most active cases include:

  • Winnipeg with 92 active cases;
  • Asessippi with 51 active cases; and
  • Niverville/Ritchot with 27 active cases.

As of Tuesday morning, 606 people have recovered from COVID-19. Seven people are in hospital, one of whom is in intensive care.

The total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba is now 1,018. The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 2.7 per cent.

On Monday, 1,428 laboratory tests were completed, bringing the total number of tests completed since early February to 128,576.

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE TESTING SITE MOVING LOCATIONS

The drive-thru testing site in Portage la Prairie, located at 245 Royal Road, will be moving to a new location.

The province said the current location will be closed on August 26, and will reopen the following day at Portage Avenue and Fifth Street Southeast.

The new location will be open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. by appointment only. People can book appointments by calling 204-428-3471.

The province said people should only go for testing if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. If symptoms develop, the province said people should go for testing as soon as possible.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 in Sask: Here's what we know ahead of the next update – CTV News

Published

on


REGINA —
Here’s what we know ahead of Saskatchewan’s next update on COVID-19 cases in the province.

SASKATCHEWAN CASES

Saskatchewan reported 10 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, bringing the total number of active cases to 146.

In a release, the province said six new cases are in Saskatoon, two are in Regina, one is in the far north east zone and one is in the central west zone.

Two of the new cases in Saskatoon are linked to a previously reported outbreak identified at Brandt Industries. To date, 19 cases have been connected to this cluster, the province said.

MOE REMINDS RESIDENTS TO KEEP GATHERINGS LOW

Premier Scott Moe says people should keep gathering sizes low to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, stressing they could face penalties if they don’t comply.

He said on Monday the vast majority of people are obeying the rules, but there have been some instances of individuals going out of bounds.

“We need to be careful,” Moe said during a press conference. “One infected person at the wrong place at the wrong time can turn into dozens of additional cases.”

The warnings come after a house gathering in Saskatoon caused cases to increase in that city.

SASK. RAMPING UP TESTING

The province announced on Tuesday it will be increasing testing in Saskatchewan, hoping to meet a goal of 4,000 tests per day.

Starting this week, Saskatchewan Health Authority labs will implement pooled testing of asymptomatic swabs.

This will allow labs to test more specimens with fewer testing materials and increase testing output, the SHA said in a news release.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sask. police visiting recent travellers to check compliance with mandatory self-isolation – CBC.ca

Published

on


Police in Saskatchewan are checking-up on people who are in mandatory self-isolation after returning from international travel.

Regina Police Service spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich said Tuesday that police receive a daily list from the Saskatchewan Health Authority of people who have recently travelled. 

“We dispatch a police car to the home address to ensure that the person is in fact doing that mandatory 14-day isolation,” said Popowich. 

“And if they’re not, then we refer it back to the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) for further action as per the public health order.” 

Saskatoon police and the RCMP are also doing visits to check on compliance with the provincial order, which states anyone who has travelled internationally must isolate for two weeks. 

People who are isolating are allowed to be outside on their own property, such as a backyard or balcony, and they can take solitary walks if they do not have symptoms. 

Non-compliance referred back to health authority

Popowich said police do not issue immediate fines if a person does not open the door. Instead, they report back to the SHA to follow up. 

CBC has contacted the SHA for more information about the police visits and who initiated them.

Regina and Saskatoon police have both been doing check-ups since April.

‘There are consequences’ 

Police could issue a fine if someone is found to be repeatedly violating isolation after multiple checkups, but Popowich said she is not aware of any such fines being issued so far.

She said there are some instances where people may not receive a visit from police, for example if there is a mistake in the address or if police receive the information late in the quarantine period.

“Don’t risk getting a fine. Certainly don’t risk potentially carrying an infection to someone who is not as easily able to handle the illness,” she said.

“Treat it as though you could be paid a visit if you’ve been out of the country and you’re not self-isolating. If you’re not, then there are consequences.”

Popowich said Regina police have enough resources to take on the role of checking compliance. 

“Those calls get dispatched at a time when typically our other call loads are lower,” she said. 

In April, a Regina woman who had been diagnosed with COVID-19 was fined $2,800 for allegedly not complying with the order to self-isolate.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sask. Party first to 61 candidates – Prince Albert Daily Herald

Published

on


With its last nominee acclaimed Saturday, the Saskatchewan Party became the province’s first this election cycle to nominate a full slate of candidates.

There are 61 constituencies in Saskatchewan. The opposition NDP has 45 candidates listed on its website so far. The progressive conservatives are next, with 15, while the Saskatchewan Green Party has at least 13 — 11 listed on its website and another two by Elections Saskatchewan. This election’s newcomer, the Buffalo Party (formerly Wexit Saskatchewan) has nominated five and the Saskatchewan Liberals four.

Three independent candidates have also been listed by Elections Saskatchewan — Nestor Mryglod in Regina Wascana Plains, Trevor Wowk in Regina Lakeview and Rolf Hartloff in Regina Elphinstone-Centre.

Information about becoming an independent candidate is available on the Elections Saskatchewan Website.

The latest Sask. Party candidate — and the 61st to be nominated ahead of October’s provincial election, is Darren Deschambeault in Cumberland.

In a press release, he said he is looking forward to having representation from the region in Scott Moe’s government.

“Providing strong leadership and a real voice for the people of Cumberland in the legislature will help with a strong recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said.

Deschambeault was born and raised in Cumberland House, and currently works as a communications consultant for an oil and gas company.  He disclosed a 2001 impaired driving conviction that he has since received a pardon for.

Deschambeault will go up against incumbent NDP MLA Doyle Vermette and Saskatchewan progressive conservative candidate Dean Foster.

“With a full slate of 61 candidates nominated, Premier Scott Moe and the Saskatchewan Party team will be meeting voters in every part of the province to present their plan for a strong Saskatchewan and a strong economic recovery from the pandemic,” the Sask. Party said.

Locally, nominees are as follows:

Rosthern-Shellbrook

• Scott Moe, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

Saskatchewan Rivers

• Nadine Wilson, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lyle Whitefish, NDP

• Shaun Harris, Progressive Conservative

Melfort

• Todd Goudy , Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lorne Schroeder, NDP

• Dave Waldner, Buffalo

Batoche

• Delbert Kirsch, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Lon Borgerson (NDP)

Prince Albert Carlton

• Joe Hargrave, Saskatchewan Party (incumbent)

• Troy Parenteau, NDP

Prince Albert Northcote

• Nicole Rancourt, NDP (incumbent)

• Alanna Ross, Saskatchewan Party

• Sarah Kraynick, Green Party

The provincial election is set for October 26.

-Advertisement-

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending