Here are the latest local, regional and national headlines on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for Saturday, May 30, 2020:
- There have been 27,210 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, an increase of 344 cases (or 1.3 per cent) from the previous day. There are 20,983 people recovered from the virus while 2,230 people have died. The number of Ontario people tested is 680,687 of which 13,351 have pending results.
- Canada’s coronavirus case total is 89,418. The country has 6,979 deaths from the virus – 164 in British Columbia, 143 in Alberta, 10 in Saskatchewan, seven in Manitoba, 2,230 in Ontario, 4,363 in Quebec, three in Newfoundland & Labrador and 59 in Nova Scotia.
- A person who has been weeks in an Ottawa intensive care unit has been released and is on the regular floor of the hospital. There are still a total of three in hospital with one other person still in ICU. The number of confirmed cases stayed steady Friday at 147 with 11 deaths and 92 recoveries. Local testing jumped by 273 on Friday to 8,378 tests. The breakdown of cases are 15 in Cornwall (15 resolved), 25 in SD&G (20 resolved) and 107 in Prescott-Russell (57 resolved). There are two active nursing home outbreaks.
- The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit added another case Friday to a total of 342 confirmed cases. There was also another death bringing that total to 50. Ninety per cent of COVID-19 cases (264) have recovered.
- Officials with Public Health Ontario outlined their next phase of novel coronavirus testing across Ontario. Testing will concentrate on first responders, more essential workers and those in prison settings. It will also concentrate on hot spot areas, where Ontario Public Health would send a strike team into a business, for example, where there’s increased COVID-19 activity.
- Premier Doug Ford says the government is looking at a regional reopening of the economy. “It’s an option that we’re looking at. Everything is on the table.” Ford says they are getting a better picture of the spread of the disease through more testing and mobile testing units.
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that the North Country and Central New York could move to the next phase – phase two – of reopening. That includes St. Lawrence County (home to Massena, Potsdam and Canton) and Franklin County (home to Malone). New York’s phase two includes reopening office-based business, in-store retail shopping, and limited barber and hairdressing services. St. Lawrence County has had 201 positive cases to date, which 183 recovered and two deaths.
- The Children’s Treatment Center will resume in-person counselling with children and parents on Monday, June 8. The center says it will “implement all necessary measures” to provide safety for children, parents and staff members. Executive Director Robert Smith reduced his counselling hours and the center has hired another counsellor, Ashley Dicintio, who previously had a private practice in Cornwall and works at the Ottawa Carleton Detention Center as a women’s social worker.
- A ban on cruise ships entering Canadian waters has been extended until October. The ban was to expire on July 1.
- The federal government has rolled out an additional $650 million for First Nations, Inuit and Metis communities across Canada. It will go to public health, income assistance and shelters for women and children. That’s in addition to the $305 million already promised.
- A health care worker in New Brunswick has been suspended after travelling to Quebec and not self-quarantining after returning, choosing instead to go to work. There’s now an outbreak in the Campbellton area with at least six new cases, including two in ICU. The RCMP is investigating.
Have a story or news release related to COVID-19? Send it along for possible inclusion in a future digest on Cornwall Newswatch. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “COVID-19 Digest” in the subject line.
Four straight days of no new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba – CTV News Winnipeg
For the fourth straight day, there are no new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba.
Health officials announced on Saturday that as of 9:30 a.m., no new cases have been identified.
There have been 325 lab-confirmed and probable cases in the province since early March.
As of Friday, there are 16 active cases in Manitoba and 302 people have recovered from COVID-19. The death toll remains at seven.
Since early February, 64,968 tests have been performed.
The province will provide an update data on case numbers, active cases and recoveries on Monday.
Why airlines won't contact you if a passenger with COVID-19 was on your flight – CTV News Winnipeg
The Manitoba government has explained why health officials are notifying airline passengers about possible COVID-19 exposure, and not the airlines themselves.
In recent days, the province has advised passengers on three Air Canada flights to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms, as a recent positive case was a passenger on the flights.
The flights are listed below:
- AC 295 from Winnipeg to Vancouver on June 19. Affected rows are 19-25.
- AC 122 from Vancouver to Toronto on June 21. Affected rows are 31-37.
- AC 259 from Toronto to Winnipeg on June 23. Affected rows are 24-30.
Health officials said those in the impacted rows are considered close contacts and are asked to self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for COVID-19 symptoms. Any other passengers on the flights are asked to monitor for symptoms.
Since the pandemic started, the provincial government has maintained a list of flights where passengers with confirmed cases of COVID-19 were on.
However, some have wondered why provincial health officials are providing the updates, instead of the airlines.
CTV News Winnipeg reached out to the Manitoba government for additional information on the process.
A provincial spokesperson said the plan to post information on flights publicly, instead of requesting flight manifests, was established early in the pandemic.
“There is no direct evidence at this time that contacting individual air travellers has made it possible to find cases earlier,” the spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. “All air travellers should be self-monitoring for symptoms post-travel.”
The spokesperson went on to add, “Flight manifests take time to retrieve and often do not have contact information for all travellers that allows public health to follow-up. Airlines do not contact air travellers about public health issues directly.”
The province said the process is consistent with national guidelines and said most jurisdictions in Canada will publicly post the flight information for COVID-19 cases.
There have been 325 cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba since March 12.
No new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba for 4th straight day – CBC.ca
No new cases of COVID-19 were announced in Manitoba on Saturday, marking the fourth straight day since a case of the illness was identified in the province.
The total number of cases identified in Manitoba is still 325, the province said on Twitter.
Numbers on testing, recoveries and hospitalizations will be updated again on Monday.
As of Friday, 16 of the known cases in the province were still active and no one was in hospital with COVID-19.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, seven people who contracted the illness caused by the new coronavirus in Manitoba have died and 302 have recovered.
As of Friday, the total number of COVID-19 tests done in the province was 64,968.
How sparrows from B.C. spread a new song to the rest of North America – CTV News
Indonesia says trade, investment deal with Australia takes effect – TheChronicleHerald.ca
Walking a 'tightrope': Bill Morneau and the path out of the pandemic economy – CBC.ca
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Sports2 hours ago
Yankees' Tanaka released from hospital after line drive to head – CANOE
- Economy4 hours ago
German economy minister sees economic recovery from October – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- Art4 hours ago
Sudbury art crawl highlights local artists and downtown businesses – The Sudbury Star
- News59 mins ago
Migrant workers in Canada stage multi-city protest, call for more COVID-19 protections – Global News
- Health3 hours ago
No new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba for 4th straight day – CBC.ca
- Media3 hours ago
Virus Pushes Singapore Politicians Into Social Media Square Off – BNN
- Tech3 hours ago
Serious Warning Issued For Millions Of Google Gmail Users – Forbes
- Media2 hours ago
Edmontonians take to social media to post colourful chalk creations – CTV News Edmonton