Connect with us

Health

Ninth COVID-19 related death confirmed – The Kingston Whig-Standard

Published

on


While no new cases were reported in the Timmins Health Unit’s catchment area on Saturday a patient whose case had previously been listed as resolved has become the region’s ninth COVID-19 related fatality.

The Porcupine Health Unit reported on Saturday a patient whose case had previously been listed as resolved has become the region’s ninth COVID-19 related fatality. FILE PHOTO/POSTMEDIA NETWORK

While no new cases were reported in the Timmins Health Unit’s catchment area on Saturday a patient whose case had previously been listed as resolved has become the region’s ninth COVID-19 related fatality.

Dr. Lianne Catton, the health unit’s Medical Officer of Health, said, “It is with great sadness I report that we have had a ninth death related to complications of their infection of COVID-19 in the Porcupine
Health Unit region.”

The man, in his 70s had been admitted to the Timmins and District Hospital after testing positive for COVID-19 on July 19.

His death, however, was not related to an institutional outbreak.

Out of respect for his family, no further information will be shared.

“On behalf of the Porcupine Health Unit, we extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends,” Catton said.

Hospital President and Chief Executive Officer Kate Fyfe said, “Our thoughts are with family and friends during this difficult time.

“On behalf of the Timmins and District Hospital, we wish to extend our deepest condolence.”

Catton added, “We need to continue to work together to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect our families, neighbours, co-workers and communities.”

The health unit is reminding residents to stay home if they are not well, practice physical distancing when out, wear a non-medical mask or face covering in indoor public spaces or outdoors if they cannot maintain two metre distance from others, wash their hands often and avoid touching their face.

To date, a total of 16,333 have been completed in the health unit’s catchment area, with 73 positive results reported.

Of those, all 73 have been resolved with 64 officially listed as recovered, while the other nine have passed away.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sampling-site bottlenecks continue to impede Manitoba COVID-19 testing efforts – CBC.ca

Published

on


When Bronagh Nazarko took one of her kids to get a COVID-19 test in Winnipeg, she ended up waiting four hours in line and missing a day of work.

When her husband took their other two kids to get tested several days later, he too waited four hours and also missed a day in the home office.

The experience left her wondering how other parents are supposed to juggle child-care and work responsibilities while they wait for a COVID-19 swab, which Manitoba’s government has spent six months promoting as a central facet of its pandemic response.

“We’re very lucky that we have fairly flexible office jobs and that we can work from home, but for a lot of people, I just can’t see that this is sustainable to do this,” Nazarko said Wednesday in an interview.

“I can see that this would deter people from getting tested, and I’m concerned that that means cases will get missed because people don’t want to wait.”

Winnipeg still undergoing surge in demand for swabs

For weeks, there have been long lines outside Winnipeg’s sole drive-through COVID-19 sampling site in the North End on Main Street and heavy traffic at its three other sampling sites.

Winnipeg is now the epicentre of the province’s COVID-19 outbreak, with the city possessing 335 of Manitoba’s 418 active cases.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

The province has responded by warning more restrictions could be placed on the Winnipeg health region if residents and visitors don’t become more diligent about gathering in small groups, washing their hands, keeping a safe distance away from each other and wearing masks when they cannot.

On Tuesday, the province also pledged to open another sampling site by Sept. 28 under the management of private health-care company Dynacare. It is supposed to collect up to 1,400 samples a day, at first, with the eventual potential to administer 2,600 swabs.

“The new specimen-collection sites announced [Tuesday] will help address waits for sample collection that are due to increased volumes,” Manitoba Public Health said in a statement.

Manitoba’s Official Opposition contends this promise is not good enough for Manitobans right now.

“I think people are upset today, waiting hours in line,” NDP Leader Wab Kinew said.

“This is something that the government has seen coming for six months or more. And again, we all made tremendous sacrifices, whether on a personal or social level to try and flatten the curve, to buy the government more time.”

Testing inspires confidences, premier suggested

At the height of Manitoba’s economically stifling lockdown, the premier suggested widespread testing and contact tracing would be the key to allowing the province to get back to business.

“We know that through increased testing there is an increased possibility that we’ll be able to build confidence — not only in the general public, but in the health officials whose guidance we must listen to — that we are not opening the door to a resurgence in COVID infections in our province,” Premier Brian Pallister said on April 16.

Twelve days later, he pledged to increase lab-testing capacity to 3,000 tests per day with the help of a new Dynacare lab in Winnipeg. That lab was completed by the end of July and Manitoba can now complete as many as 2,800 tests per day, between the work conducted at the Dynacare lab and Cadham Provincial Lab.

In recent weeks, the province has been completing fewer than 1,500 tests per day, on average, and Winnipeggers began to complain about long lines.

(Jacques Marcoux/CBC)

Unlike in April, when health-care workers left idle due to restrictions on hospital and clinic operations presented an easily accessible pool of skilled labour, health administrators found themselves unable to find the staff to extend hours at sampling sites, Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin said last week.

Health Minister Cameron Friesen’s office said the province is facing unprecedented challenges.

“We empathize with Manitobans’ frustrations surrounding COVID-19, and work to alleviate these stressors as we have done throughout the entire pandemic,” Friesen’s office said in a statement.

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority is recruiting volunteers to help direct traffic at sampling sites, spokesperson Paul Turenne said.

The Dynacare site will also help, Friesen’s office said. The precise date it will open has not been determined, said Mark Bernhardt, Dynacare’s communications manager based in Brampton, Ont.

Kinew accused the province of relying too heavily on the private firm.

“It seems as though the government is just abdicating [its] responsibility to provide what I think is the most important public health measure right now: figuring out whether or not you have COVID during the COVID pandemic,” he said. 

“The government’s declared a state of emergency, and yet they basically created a vacuum of leadership and just said, ‘OK, Dynacare … you go handle everything for us.'”

Workplace testing available for private clients

Kinew also expressed concern that Dynacare provides workplace COVID-19 testing for companies willing to pay extra to test their workers.

“If someone has more money and they have a registered business, all of a sudden they can skip the line. To me, that’s not fair and it violates the public health interest that we all have in fighting the pandemic,” he said.

Bernhardt confirmed Dynacare provides mobile workplace testing for COVID-19 as well as blood tests for other illnesses. All samples collected from private clients are processed at a lab in Brampton, he said, and do not compete for lab time with public samples in Winnipeg.

Nazarko, who spent hours in the testing queue with her kids, said she is concerned about will happen in Winnipeg during the winter, when waiting for hours outside won’t be possible.

“I would personally really like to see them switch to an appointment-based system where we could wait at home and my husband and I could work until our appointment time comes,” she said.

Roussin said earlier this month the province is pondering what to do with sampling sites during the winter.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

'I can take it:' Ottawa top doctor receiving 'ugly emails' – OttawaMatters.com

Published

on


Ottawa’s top doctor says she has received some “ugly emails” during the COVID-19 pandemic but isn’t letting them distract her from her job.

“I take in that information and I think about how we can better support people with our social services, with economic recovery,” said Dr. Vera Etches, Ottawa’s chief medical officer of health. “I’m focused on trying to make sure we manage through this pandemic so people can get back on their feet.” 

Dr. Etches says she hasn’t received any death threats and doesn’t think she is in any danger.

“Of course people are frustrated. People have been harmed by losing their jobs, losing their businesses. Those are not small impacts, it’s very serious.” 

The doctor says she recognizes that everyone is suffering from the pandemic.

“I know that this is a stressful time and people are angry, and I appreciate that,” explains Dr. Etches. “They’re looking for someone to blame or to express that anger and I think it’s important to hear from people who are negatively impacted.”

Dr. Etches’ comments come after British Columbia’s top doctor said she’s been receiving death threats and abusive letters in her role as a public figure during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Bonnie Henry told a panel discussion at the annual convention of the Union of B.C. Municipalities that she’s had to have security in her home and has been targeted by people who don’t agree with her.

– With files from the Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Manitobans waiting more than 2 hours to speak to Health Links – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

on


WINNIPEG —
As COVID-19 cases rise in Manitoba, Health Links is experiencing increased call volumes, resulting in longer wait times for callers.

According to a spokesperson from Shared Health, the increase in calls is attributed to the spike in COVID-19 cases, as well as the return to school on Sept. 8. They noted a small number of callers are looking for the results to their COVID-19 tests.

In a statement on Sept. 23, the spokesperson said because of the increase in calls, Manitobans are experiencing longer-than-average wait times to talk to Health Links, noting that wait times vary throughout the day.

On average in the past week, wait times have ranged between 53 and 128 minutes, though those calling at peak times may wait even longer.

“As COVID-19 activity in Manitoba can be expected to continue to vary, the volume of calls to HL-IS is being monitored closely with consideration being given to how current wait times may be addressed,” the statement said.

The spokesperson reminded Manitobans that they can get their COVID-19 test results through the online results portal on Shared Health’s website, as long as they have a Manitoba health card.

Anyone who tests positive will be contacted directly, but the posting of negative results could take several days.

Health Links, a phone-based nursing triage system, is the flagship program for the Provincial Health Contact Centre.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending