Connect with us

Business

No plans to forgo second doses of COVID-19 vaccine in Ontario despite new research: official – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


One of Ontario’s leading public health official says that the province continues to “strongly believe” in the importance of administering two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, even amid some recent research suggesting that a single jab could be almost as effective in preventing infections.

Two Canadian doctors recently submitted a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine, which used U.S. data to suggest that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine could be 92 per cent effective against COVID-19 two weeks following the first dose.

That contradicts earlier research which indicated that a single dose would only be 52 per cent effective.

The Government of Canada has not changed its formal recommendation following the publication of the research but Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Njoo did tell reporters on Thursday that the “early data” is encouraging and that there are “live” and “ongoing” discussions taking place right now.

He also said that provinces can make their own decisions on when and if to administer second doses based “on the evidence that they have,” as well as their local context.

However, Ontario officials do not appear to be interested in delaying second doses any further at this point.

Asked about the research during a briefing on Thursday afternoon, the coordinator of Ontario’s outbreak response Dr. Dirk Huyer said that the province is “absolutely” committed to providing first doses as quickly as they can, having previously pushed back the interval between Pfizer-BioNTech doses from 27 to 35 days. But he said that the province does not have any plans to eliminate the second dose entirely while vaccine supplies remain limited.

“We strongly believe that two doses are required and we strongly believe that two doses should be provided within the 42 days as have been demonstrated by the clinical trials,” he said.

Ontario has administered more than 500,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine as of today and approximately 205,000 people have received both doses.

The second phase of the province’s vaccination campaign is scheduled to begin in March and run until July.

An additional 8.5 million people are expected to be vaccinated during that time.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

New COVID-19 measures take effect in 9 Ontario regions, 2 move into lockdown – CityNews Toronto

Published

 on


New public health measures meant to limit the spread of COVID-19 went into effect across nine Ontario regions Monday, including two that are heading into lockdown due to rising case counts.

The Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka health units have seen infections rising in recent days, driven in part by transmission of more infectious variants of the virus.

The province activated what it describes as an “emergency break” for those districts, moving them to the grey tier of Ontario’s colour-coded pandemic response plan.

The move will impose a variety of more stringent public health measures in those regions, including capping most indoor gatherings at 10 people, closing restaurants to in-person service and forcing non-essential retailers to operate at 25-per-cent capacity.


RELATED: COVID-19 ’emergency brake’ applied in Thunder Bay, Simcoe-Muskoka regions


Seven other public health units will be easing restrictions as they move down a level in the provincial framework.

The Niagara Region is now classified as red, the Chatham-Kent, Middlesex-London and Southwestern units all move to the orange tier, Haldimand-Norfolk and Huron Perth transition to the yellow level, and Grey Bruce will become a green zone with the least restrictive measures in place.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Update: Quebec opens vaccination appointments for 70+ in Montreal and Laval – Montreal Gazette

Published

 on


The Quebec government said it would prioritize the Montreal health region because it is hardest hit by the pandemic.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Nine areas of Ontario move into new tiers of coronavirus framework today; two go into lockdown – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


The Canadian Press


Published Monday, March 1, 2021 5:41AM EST


Last Updated Monday, March 1, 2021 6:31AM EST

TORONTO — New public health measures meant to limit the spread of COVID-19 went into effect across nine Ontario regions today, including two that are heading into lockdown due to rising case counts.

The Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka health units have seen infections rising in recent days, driven in part by transmission of more infectious variants of the virus.

The province activated what it describes as an “emergency brake” for those districts, moving them to the grey tier of Ontario’s colour-coded pandemic response plan.

The move will impose a variety of more stringent public health measures in those regions, including capping most indoor gatherings at 10 people, closing restaurants to in-person service and forcing non-essential retailers to operate at 25-per-cent capacity.

Seven other public health units will be easing restrictions as they move down a level in the provincial framework.

The Niagara Region is now classified as red, the Chatham-Kent, Middlesex-London and Southwestern units all move to the orange tier, Haldimand-Norfolk and Huron Perth transition to the yellow level, and Grey Bruce will become a green zone with the least restrictive measures in place.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending