Connect with us

Science

Nova Scotia Power warns copper thieves of danger – Cape Breton Post

Published

 on


SYDNEY, N.S. —

Nova Scotia Power has issued a warning to anyone considering stealing copper wire from its facilities that they would be potentially placing themselves and others in harm’s way by doing so.

The company has been the target of copper wire thefts in Cape Breton over the past month. In some cases, thieves are stealing ground wires.

David Rodenhiser, a spokesperson for Nova Scotia Power, said there have been recent thefts in areas in Cape Breton including North Sydney, Big Baddeck, Grand Narrows and Kempt Head.

He said the thefts seem to come in spates, and there has been a recent wave of incidents.

“It’s a very dangerous thing to do,” he said. “People have been very seriously injured and even killed trying to steal copper wire in the past from poles and substations,” he said.

There was an incident on the eastern shore within the last few years where someone was seriously injured trying to steal copper wire, Rodenhiser said.

“It’s not worth the risk,” he said, noting it also places NSP employees in danger as they respond to incidents and try to repair damage, and also potential power interruptions for customers.

In a news release, Paul Casey, Nova Scotia Power vice-president of transmission, distribution and delivery, said a significant amount of live wire has been stolen from electrical equipment, at great risk to both personal and public safety.

“Live wire can carry more than 25,000 volts of electricity so there is a very high risk of electrocution. A charge from that wire would be life threatening or fatal for anyone in the vicinity and can cause significant damage to our equipment. Not to mention, removing the wire can generate an unstable electrical current for nearby customers and create dangerous working conditions for our crews,” he said.

The company’s corporate security department has provided details of thefts to local authorities, and both the Cape Breton Regional Police and the Baddeck RCMP have been investigating.

Nova Scotia Power and the Cape Breton Regional Police are asking anyone with information on these copper wire thefts to report it as soon as possible to Cape Breton Regional Police at 1-902-563-5151, Baddeck RCMP at 1-902-295-2350, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS. A reward may be available to any individual who can provide Crime Stoppers with information on these thefts that leads to an arrest.

Members of the public can anonymously report suspicious activity anytime via the Nova Scotia Power website at: www.nspower.ca/customer-service/report-suspicious-activity/theft.

RELATED: Nova Scotia Power victim of close to 20 incidents of copper wire theft in Cape Breton in May

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Science

SpaceX Delays Launch of Falcon 9 Carrier Rocket With Starlink Satellites by a Day – Gadgets 360

Published

 on


SpaceX has cancelled the planned launch of a Falcon 9 carrier rocket with 60 Starlink satellites.

“Auto-abort at T-1:24 ahead of tonight’s Falcon 9 launch of Starlink; next launch opportunity is tomorrow, March 1 at 8:15 p.m. EST [03:15 GMT on Tuesday],” SpaceX said on Twitter on Sunday.

The company did not specify the reasons behind the delay.

The Falcon 9 rocket was supposed to lift off from the Cape Canaveral (Kennedy) Air Force Station in Florida at 01:37 GMT (7:07am) on Monday.

The mission aims to put 60 Starlink satellites into orbit. If successful at its next launch opportunity, it will expand SpaceX’s fleet of broadband relay satellites to include over 1,200 (some of them are prototypes that are no longer in service).

The Starlink project seeks to provide affordable access to broadband Internet connection across the world.

Earlier in February, SpaceX reportedly completed an equity funding round of $850 million (roughly Rs. 6,190 crore) that sent its valuation to about $74 billion (roughly Rs. 5,39,000 crore).

SpaceX raised the funds at $419.99 (roughly Rs. 30,600) a share and the latest funding round represents a jump of about 60 percent in the company’s valuation from its previous raise, which valued it at $46 billion (roughly Rs. 3,35,000 crores), as per the report.

A prototype of SpaceX’s Starship rocket, the SN9, exploded earlier in February during a landing attempt after a high-altitude test launch in a repeat of an accident that destroyed a previous test rocket.

The Starship SN9 prototype was a test model of the heavy-lift rocket being developed by the company to carry humans and 100 tons of cargo on future missions to the Moon and Mars.


Is Samsung Galaxy F62 the best phone under Rs. 25,000? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Science

SpaceX aborts launch of Falcon 9 rocket carrying Starlink satellites – Space.com

Published

 on


A veteran SpaceX rocket suffered a launch abort just minutes before liftoff Sunday night (Feb. 28) while attempting to launch a new fleet of the company’s Starlink internet satellites. 

The Falcon 9 rocket was less than 90 seconds away from launching 60 Starlink satellites into orbit from Pad 39A of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida when it experienced the automatic abort, SpaceX said. 

“Overall, the vehicle and payload are healthy and remain in good health,” SpaceX production supervisor Andy Tran said during live launch commentary. “The next launch opportunity is tomorrow, March 1, at 8:15 Eastern time.”

You can watch the launch live here and on Space.com, beginning at about 8 p.m. EST (0100 March 2 GMT), courtesy of SpaceX. You can also watch the launch directly from SpaceX here

Related: SpaceX’s Starlink satellite megaconstellation in photos

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, seen here in a still from a launch webcast, suffered a launch abort just before an attempted liftoff carrying 60 Starlink internet satellites on Feb. 28, 2021. (Image credit: SpaceX)

Sunday night’s launch abort is the latest delay for this particular Starlink mission. It was originally scheduled to fly earlier in February, but was delayed due to hardware issues and poor weather. 

The mission, called Starlink 17, will now be SpaceX’s 20th Starlink mission and the company’s sixth launch of 2021. SpaceX currently has more than 1,000 Starlink satellites in orbit as it builds a megaconstellation capable of providing global high-speed internet coverage, particularly to remote or underserved locales. 

The Falcon 9 rocket for Starlink 17 includes a first stage booster that has flown seven times so far. It launched the Iridium-8 and Telstar 18 Vantage satellite missions, as well as five separate Starlink flights. 

The booster is poised to be the third Falcon 9 booster to fly eight times and, if all goes well, will land on the drone ship “Of Course I Still Love You” in the Atlantic Ocean so it can be recovered. SpaceX’s current Block 5 Falcon 9 rockets are designed to fly up to 10 times as part of the company’s reusability program to lower launch costs. 

In addition to the booster, the Starlink 17 mission also includes reused payload fairings (its clamshell-like nosecone). One half is making its fourth flight while the other is on its third. Two SpaceX recovery ships, the GO Searcher and GO Navigator, are stationed off shore to recovery the fairings for later reuse as well.

According to the U.S. Space Force’s 45th Weather Squadron, there is a 70% chance of good weather for a SpaceX launch on Monday night. 

Email Tariq Malik at tmalik@space.com or follow him @tariqjmalik. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook and Instagram.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Science

Let 'er buck: Study suggests horses learn from rodeo experience, grow calmer – Nanaimo News NOW

Published

 on


Horses have all kinds of ways of showing they’re unhappy, Pajor said. They might move back and forth, chew their lips, swish their tail, defecate, roll their eyes, paw the ground, toss their head, or rear up in protest.

The researchers found that the more people were around them, the more likely the horses were to show unease. That’s probably because they spend most of their time in fields and pastures and aren’t used to the bustle, Pajor said.

The other factor that affected behaviour was experience. If it wasn’t their first rodeo, the horses were much less likely to act up.

“We didn’t see a lot of attempts to escape. We didn’t see a lot of fear-related behaviours at all,” Pajor said. “The animals were pretty calm.

“The animals that had little experience were much more reactive than the animals that had lots of experience.”

There could be different reasons for that, he suggested.

“We don’t know if that’s because they’re used to the situation or whether that’s because of learned helplessness — they realize there’s nothing they can do and just give up.”

Pajor suspects the former.

“When the cowboys came near the horses, they would certainly react and you wouldn’t really see that if it was learned helplessness.”

The researchers also noted that the horses’ bucking performance, as revealed in the score from the rodeo judges, didn’t seem to be reduced by repeated appearances as it might be if the animals had become apathetic.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the horses are having a good time, said Pajor, who’s also on the Stampede’s animal welfare advisory board. There are a couple of ways of interpreting active behaviour in the chute, he said.

“An animal might be getting excited to perform. Or an animal might be having a fear response.”

“Understanding if animals like to do something is a tricky thing to do.”

Pajor knows there are different camps when it comes to rodeos and animals.

“People have very strong opinions on the use of animals for all kinds of reasons. I think no matter what we’re going to use animals for, we really need to make sure that we treat them humanely.

“My job is to do the research to understand the animals’ perspective.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 28, 2021.

— By Bob Weber in Edmonton. Follow @row1960 on Twitter

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending