Connect with us

Health

Ontario records 568 more cases of COVID-19 and 39 new deaths – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
Ontario health officials have confirmed 568 more cases of COVID-19 and 39 additional deaths.

As the new patients were announced on Sunday morning, the province’s total number of cases of the novel coronavirus rose to 10,578, including 553 deaths.

While 568 new cases of the novel coronavirus being reported in one day in Ontario is a single-day high, the data presented by health officials on Saturday was not complete. Saturday’s epidemiological summary stated that it did not include data from after April 16 from Toronto Public Health “due to technical issues.”

DAILY BREAKDOWN: Spread of COVID-19 in Ontario

On April 16, Toronto’s top doctor said the city had come up with a new “technology tool” to track and share COVID-19-related data after realizing the province’s system, the integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS), was just not cutting it.

On Sunday, health officials said the summary included “the most current information available from iPHIS as of 4 p.m. April 18 and from the Toronto Public Health Coronavirus Rapid Entry System as of 2 p.m. April 18.”

In Sunday’s epidemiological summary, one deceased patient is listed as being between the ages of 20 and 39. Thirty-one other people who have died of COVID-19 in Ontario were between the ages of 40 and 59, 156 people were between the ages of 60 and 79 and 365 people were 80 years of age or older.

Currently, there are 809 patients being treated for COVID-19 in hospitals across the province. That number is down from 828 patients reported by health officials on Saturday. Among those currently in hospital, 247 of them are being treated in an intensive care unit and 196 of those 247 patients are on ventilators to assist with breathing.

Of all Ontario patients, 1,179 are health-care workers – 11.1 per cent.

Quick facts on all Ontario COVID-19 patients:

  • 12.3 per cent of all patients have been hospitalized at one point
  • 112 outbreaks have been reported in long-term care homes in the province
  • 42.5 per cent of all patients in the province are male and 56.7 per cent are female – 87 cases did not specify male or female gender
  • 2.2 per cent of all patients are 19 years of age or younger
  • 22.8 per cent of all patients are between the ages of 20 and 39
  • 31.7 per cent of all patients are between the ages of 40 and 59
  • 23 per cent of all patients are between the ages of 60 and 79
  • 20.2 per cent of all patients are 80 years of age or older
  • Public health units in the Greater Toronto Area account for 57.4 per cent of all cases in the province
  • 11.7 per cent of all patients had travelled in the 14 days prior to becoming ill
  • 17.9 per cent of all patients had contact with a previously confirmed case
  • 28.4 per cent of all patients had community exposure
  • 42 per cent of all patients had exposure information listed as pending

There 5,736 people who currently remain under investigation for the novel coronavirus in the province.

According to health officials, 9,643 people were tested in the last recorded 24-hour span.

A total of 156,097 people have been tested for COVID-19 in Ontario since the outbreak began.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Three New COVID-19 Cases In Campbellton Region – country94.ca

Published

on


From GNB Youtube.

New Brunswick Public Health is reporting three new cases of COVID-19 today and all are in the Campbellton region (Zone 5).

Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell says these new cases are connected to the three cases previously announced in Zone 5.

The three new cases are an individual under age 19, an individual in their 40’s and an individual over age 90.

Dr. Russell believes there will likely be more cases in that region in the days ahead.

Public Health has placed Zone 5 back into the Orange Phase of recovery.

The current active cases appear to have a connection to a health care professional who worked at the Campbellton Regional Hospital and travelled to Quebec earlier this month and did not self isolate upon return.

“Information on this health care professional has been passed along to the RCMP to determine exactly what took place, and whether charges are warranted,” said Premier Blaine Higgs. “I understand the person’s employer is also looking into the matter and I am confident the appropriate steps to address this incident will be taken.”

As a result, the emergency department at the Campbellton Regional Hospital is closed until further notice due to the increased risk of COVID-19.

While the rest of the province is now in the Yellow Phase of recovery, Higgs announced today that further reopenings in this phase which were scheduled for tomorrow – May 29 – will be delayed until next Friday, June 5.

Those reopenings are the following:

  • Outdoor gatherings with physical distancing of 50 or fewer (June 5)
  • Religious services, weddings and funerals of 50 or fewer (June 5)
  • Increase in elective surgeries and other non-emergency health care services (June 5)
  • Swimming pools, saunas and waterparks (June 5)
  • Gyms, yoga and dance studios (June 5)
  • Rinks and indoor recreational facilities (June 5)
  • Pool halls and bowling alleys (June 5)
  • Low-contact team sports (June 5)

Higgs has extended the provincial state of emergency for another 14 days.

Border restrictions will also remain in place until further notice.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

New cat virus found at B.C. SPCA prompts science journal publication – Times Colonist

Published

on


VANCOUVER — The outbreak of a fast-spreading disease at the SPCA’s animal centre in Vancouver has led to the discovery of a new feline virus that affected 43 cats in B.C.

It started when eight cats fell ill on a single day in 2018 with symptoms like a human stomach flu, but Dr. Emilia Gordon, the senior manager of animal health, says they became concerned when tests came back negative for parasites.

article continues below

Gordon says in a news release they knew within days that they were dealing with a virus or bacteria they hadn’t faced before.

Outbreak tracing found two cats in the Quesnel shelter introduced the illness to Vancouver’s facility, where it spread rapidly before being detected.

A research team at the University of California, San Francisco found the new species of parvovirus, which isn’t related to COVID-19, and those findings were recently published in the science journal Viruses.

Gordon says the high rate of recovery was due to a quick response and stringent control measures, although two of the 43 cats that were ill were euthanized because of other medical problems.

“As soon as we understood we were dealing with something unusual, our first goal was to stop the outbreak so more cats wouldn’t get sick,” Gordon says. “Our second goal was to try to get answers for our teams, for the cats, and for other shelters and veterinarians facing unexplained gastrointestinal outbreaks in cats under their care.”

She says being part of the discovery of the new virus was very exciting, however data from a single outbreak isn’t enough to be certain the virus can cause disease and more research will need to be done.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 28, 2019.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

2 B.C. long-term care homes get extra help to deal with COVID-19 outbreaks – CBC.ca

Published

on



Specialized health teams have been sent to fight COVID-19 outbreaks at two Metro Vancouver long-term care homes.

The Fraser Health Authority appointed a pandemic response director on Thursday at Langley Lodge, where more than 20 people have died from the virus in recent weeks.

It also sent extra staff to Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam after one resident tested positive Wednesday for COVID-19, said Dr. Martin Lavoie, Fraser Health’s chief medical health officer. The resident was placed in isolation at the lodge, he said.

“Over the past several weeks, we’ve been supporting and offering guidance to Langley Lodge in different ways,” Lavoie said at a news conference.

“Today, we’re taking further action and we have appointed our own director of pandemic response to provide oversight of the COVID-19 response at Langley Lodge and also to further support the facility leadership and staff.”

Dr. Martin Lavoie, Fraser Health’s chief medical health officer, said the COVID-19 outbreak at Langley Lodge has been difficult to control. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

The lodge website says it is a not-for-profit registered charity run by the Langley Care Society.

It says the lodge in Langley provides long-term care for adults who can no longer live safely or independently at home because of their health-care needs. The lodge includes 121 funded spaces and 14 private pay spaces.

An official at the lodge referred questions about the COVID-19 outbreak to Fraser Health on Thursday.

Lavoie said the COVID-19 outbreak at the lodge has been difficult to control.

“It is our hope that these additional measures will support the site in controlling this complex outbreak,” he said. “We’re taking all the necessary steps to minimize the exposure to and transmission of COVID-19.”

Lavoie said extra nurses and staff are being called in, along with infection control specialists who will use a specialized ultraviolet germ sterilization machine.

As of Wednesday, the Health Ministry said 111 people who have died from COVID-19 in the province were connected to long-term care facilities, assisted-living homes or acute-care hospitals. A total of 162 people have died from the virus.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending