They are finally here! Vaccinations against COVID-19 were at last approved for the youngest people ages 6 months to 5 years old. Studies in children have been done showing definite protective benefits and no major adverse reactions occurring. The first step was the FDA approval after an advisory panel deliberated the week of June 13 — only 2 days — to vote unanimously to recommend authorization, stating the benefits outweigh any risks for young kids.
About 78% of Ontarians have had at least 1 COVID-19 vaccination, 44% fully vaccinated
Ontario reported 170 cases of COVID-19 on Monday, the lowest new case count in nearly 10 months. There was one new death.
Waterloo Region reported 34 new cases, Toronto 27, Grey Bruce 18 and the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit reported 13 cases.
The daily case count was the lowest in Ontario since the 170 cases reported on Sept. 10 and 149 cases on Sept. 9.
The current rate is now slightly higher than the number of new cases reported in Ontario in July and August of 2020, when most days the count was between 75 and 150 new cases a day.
The province completed 12,900 COVID-19 tests and as of 8 p.m. Sunday, some 144,795 doses of vaccines had been administered. Ontario has now administered more than 15.7 million vaccinations.
There are 155 patients in hospital, 228 in intensive care and 157 on ventilators.
Ontario has had 545,973 total cases of COVID-19, of which 534,791 are considered resolved. There have been 9,215 deaths.
Closer to home, there are no active cases and no hospitalizations. There were 400 confirmed COVID cases in Algoma District and six deaths.
The province opened up its vaccine booking portal on Monday to allow accelerated appointments for youth aged 12 to 17 to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Though some complained on Twitter of difficulty booking their shot, Vaccine Hunters Canada tweeted there were still many appointment times available.
About 78 per cent of Ontarians have had at least one COVID-19 vaccination and 44 per cent are fully vaccinated.
Ontario moved into Step 2 of its reopening plan last Wednesday, which allowed for larger outdoor gatherings and the opening of personal care services like hair salons, among other things.
Premier Doug Ford said the government would follow the advice of its Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Kieran Moore.
“They’re the experts,” Ford said. “We’re going to work day in and day out, No. 1 to get every single business open in this province, get them back on their feet. But we’re going to do it cautiously too. We’ll take directions from the health team.”
Last week, at his first briefing in his new job, Moore urged caution in the face of the more contagious Delta variant, which according to the Ontario COVID-19 science table currently makes up 74 per cent of new cases in the province. Moore said it would be prudent to follow the province’s plan, which calls for waiting 21 days between each stage of reopening to gauge the public health consequences.
At the news conference Monday, Ford also said he’s committed to maintaining a wage increase brought in for personal support workers during the pandemic.
Ford says it’s a “guarantee” that his government will keep the temporary $3 an hour wage bump for the workers who staff long-term care homes and similar facilities. He did not share any further details.
A spokesperson for Ford, Alexandra Adamo, said the province recently extended the pay increase to Aug. 23. However, the “premier has said many times in the past that he’s committed to making it permanent,” Adamo said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Porter Airlines announced it would resume flights on Sept. 8, including its six daily flights from Ottawa to Toronto.
It’s been more than 18 months since the airline suspended operations because of the pandemic.
Last week the airline received more than $20 million in federal loans to help it reimburse passengers whose flights were cancelled.
Porter announced Monday that it will recall 500 employees as it begins operations. Flights to U.S destinations, including New York, Washington, Boston and Chicago, will resume Sept. 17.
Health Minister Adrian Dix must come clean on why B.C. is restricting fourth COVID-19 vaccinations – The Georgia Straight
Former senior civil servant and diplomat Norman Spector shared a fascinating article with me this weekend from the Ottawa Citizen.
A family physician in the national capital, Dr. Nili Kaplan-Myrth, hoped to conduct mass vaccinations for people who want a fourth dose of COVID-19 but don’t qualify under Ontario’s rules.
She reportedly wanted to create a large outdoor “jabalooza” clinic but health officials refused to provide her with vaccines.
Ontario restricts access to fourth shots of COVID-19 vaccines to those who are 60 years of age or older.
Next door in Quebec, people can get fourth shots if they are 18 and older.
“I am receiving lots of individual requests for help,” Kaplan-Myrth tweeted on Sunday (June 26). “I can’t give you the vaccine at this time, but hands up (and DM) if you as plaintiffs want to bring this to court as a group. Would require a litigation team.”
There’s a tremendous amount of scientific data showing that COVID-19 vaccines lessen the severity of COVID-19. They reduce the likelihood of dying or being hospitalized from the disease.
However, COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness wanes over time. This is why Kaplan-Myrth is such a strong advocate for booster shots. She believes that these boosters are particularly important when so many people are not wearing masks indoors.
Keep in mind that COVID-19 initially presents as a respiratory infection.
In some cases, however, it causes serious brain injuries and cardiovascular problems. It’s especially dangerous for the immunocompromised, who are at higher risk of suffering severe COVID-19.
That’s because the virus that causes COVID-19 not only damages blood vessels and triggers blood clots, but also disrupts the immune system. Researchers have even linked immune dysfunction to serious brain injuries, which is explained in the video below.
B.C. doesn’t want most under-70s to get fourth shots
In the face of all of this, B.C. continues adopting a hard line on the distribution of fourth vaccine doses.
This is the case even after Global News B.C. reporter Richard Zussman revealed that 226,000 doses intended for the vaccine-hesitant will expire at the end of July.
In B.C., you have to be 70 years of age or older and have gone six months since a previous COVID-19 vaccination to qualify for a fourth dose.
There are exceptions: Indigenous people, for example, can get a fourth dose if they’re 55 or older.
Below, you can read other exceptions listed by the B.C. Centre for Disease Control for those between the ages of 60 and 69.
However, when the Georgia Straight asked the Ministry of Health about who qualified for a fourth COVID-19 vaccination, it did not include what’s written after the letter “d”: “Caregiver of a frail elderly or moderately to severely immunosuppressed person”.
So it remains unclear in B.C. if a person between 60 and 69 who is a caregiver for either a frail elderly person or a moderately to severely immunosuppressed person is able to receive a fourth COVID-19 vaccination.
Yet it seems pretty clear from the exemptions above that if you are a cancer survivor or have kidney disease or have heart disease or have multiple sclerosis or have had a transplant and you’re under 70 in B.C., you will not qualify for a fourth COVID-19 vaccination under existing rules.
Why is B.C. being more restrictive with COVID-19 booster shots than Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan (where you only need to be 50-plus), as well as the entire United States?
Health Minister Adrian Dix needs to come clean on that.
What possible justification is there for withholding a fourth COVID-19 shot for British Columbians under 70, especially the immune-compromised, when 226,000 vaccine doses are set to expire next month?
Why is Dix so convinced that he knows better than the governments of Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan?
We don’t know the answer.
That’s in part because our pusillanimous B.C. Liberal MLAs refuse to hold the provincial NDP government accountable for its COVID-19 policies.
Some on social media are speculating that the booster shots are being withheld as part of a population-level experiment—conducted without the people’s consent—on the efficacy of delaying second booster shots.
Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, through their actions, are giving oxygen to this hypothesis.
Who knows? There might even be a scientific justification for withholding booster shots.
But in the absence of evidence provided by the B.C. government, the health minister must get in front of a microphone on Monday (June 27) and provide a coherent explanation.
Failure to do so will only fuel more suspicion about the motives behind the government’s policy.
Perhaps it’s worth noting that in January 2021, Science published a study involving 188 people, which offered a glimmer of hope.
It showed that more than 95 percent of those who had recovered from COVID-19 had immune systems demonstrating “durable” memories of the virus, lasting up to eight months.
This prompted speculation on the National Institutes of Health website that the immune systems of those who are vaccinated would have lasting memories of the virus.
But a study of 188 people is insufficient as the basis for an entire provincewide policy.
Some might wonder if the government isn’t making fourth doses of COVID-19 vaccines available to those under 70 because of the cost of distribution or due to the labour shortage in the health-care sector.
Others might suspect it’s because the B.C. government thinks everyone is going to get COVID-19 anyway, so why bother?
If that’s the real reason, it’s a monumental disservice to those with compromised immunity. This should demand a response from Human Rights Commissioner Kasari Govender that goes well beyond writing a letter to Henry. Like by holding a public inquiry under section 47.15 of the B.C. Human Rights Code.
In the meantime, show us the evidence, Minister Dix, for why so many British Columbians are being denied a fourth COVID-19 vaccination.
And if you’re unwilling to do that, then please step aside so another health minister can do this in your place.
Frank Bures: COVID shots for tots | Column | winonadailynews.com – Winona Daily News
The CDC signed off on the vaccines June 18 with another unanimous vote. The two vaccines consist of the Pfizer mRNA version in adults, but a much-reduced dose of 3 micrograms instead of 30 micrograms, given in three doses to induce a high level of antibodies equivalent to young adults. The first two doses are spaced three weeks apart, and the third at least two months later. The study found only 10 COVID cases in the three-dose group and seven in the placebo group for an efficacy of 80%. The study included only a small number of patients. Most of the infectious disease and pediatrician experts cautioned not to lose sight of the fact that the vaccines were saving children’s lives.
People are also reading…
The Moderna mRNA vaccine is the same as the adult one but only a quarter of the dose at 25 micrograms in a two-dose series given four weeks apart. Both this and the Pfizer vaccine achieved the same levels of immunity that have protected young adults against severe disease. None of the developed COVID vaccines have achieved the ideal of elimination of the infection. But they have saved many lives.
In children, the risk from COVID is very real, even though hospitalization and deaths are lower than in adults. In children ages 1-4, COVID is the fifth leading cause of death. One source that looked at the period from January 2020 through May 2022 said 202 kids in this age group died from COVID. Another source quoted 480 kids dead from COVID. That’s more deaths per year than hepatitis, meningitis, rotavirus, and other common infectious diseases each caused before routine vaccinations for them were recommended. And the risk wasn’t limited to any particular group. More than half of the youngsters hospitalized due to COVID had no underlying conditions.
These vaccines have proven to be some of the safest of any for adults. In the preliminary studies in this age group the adverse reactions/side effects were mostly mild and short lived, much like those in adults, and similar to those from other vaccines. The main one was pain and redness or tenderness at the injection site. There might be some irritability, fatigue, or sleepiness, loss of appetite, headache, abdominal pain or discomfort, mild diarrhea, vomiting. But everyone got better quickly! Fevers were uncommon and mild in the participants. Those can be treated with acetaminophen.
A pediatric infectious disease specialist at Children’s Hospital, Denver, Colo., said it’s important to keep in mind that COVID-19 is now one of the vaccine-preventable diseases with the highest mortality rate. Hospitalization rates for children with COVID were five times higher during the recent wave than the worst previous points of the pandemic. Katherine Poehling, director of pediatric population health at Wake forest School of Medicine, said, “I am struck by these numbers. I’m also concerned there’s a real underappreciation of the potential severity.” FDA commissioner Robert Califf said, “Any death of a child is tragic, and should be prevented if possible.”
It’s a guarantee that, if a respiratory germ gets into a home, it gets into everyone living there. It may not take hold in each individual to create what we call disease for a host of reasons, but the microbe made the rounds, positive test or not. That includes every kid kissing you or sharing food with you.
The COVID variants currently crawling down our craws are killing fewer Americans daily than during any other period except the summer of 2021. But the country is now recording 10 times as many cases as it was at that time, indicating that a smaller number of cases are causing deaths. But COVID is still killing an average of 314 people a day. These darling little Petri (not “peach tree”) dishes we parents and grandparents love to hug and kiss can be vectors of so many viruses. The vaccines are a tool to help prevent that spread and contagion. It’s an incomplete tool, but it’s part of a larger effort to stop infections, along with hand washing, etc.
Maybe you could liken it to a fork among our eating utensils. We could eat most everything on the plate with that fork, but a knife and spoon sure help us to divide and down the delectables we can’t spear. The vaccines are essentially safe and a valuable tool. One preventable child’s death is one too many. Get your tot shot!
Dr. Bures, a semi-retired dermatologist, since 1978 has worked Winona, La Crosse, Viroqua and Red Wing. He also plays clarinet in the Winona Municipal Band and a couple dixieland groups. And he does enjoy a good pun.
#lee-rev-content margin:0 -5px;
border-left: 8px solid var(–lee-blox-link-color);
font-family: “serif-ds”,Times,”Times New Roman”,serif!important;
@media (max-width: 991px)
padding: 15px 0 20px;
border-top: 4px solid rgba(0,0,0,.8);
border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(0,0,0,.2);
font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, “Segoe UI”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, “Apple Color Emoji”, “Segoe UI Emoji”, “Segoe UI Symbol”;
margin: 15px 0 5px 0;
font-family: “serif-ds”, Times, “Times New Roman”, serif;
padding: 10px 30px 5px 30px;
#pu-email-form-breaking-email-article .disclaimer a
border-bottom: 3px solid #222;
padding: 0 10px 5px 10px;
@media (max-width: 991px)
padding: 10px 0 5px 0;
Moderna COVID-19 shots now an option for older kids in U.S. – CGTN
A vial of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for children six months through five years old is seen, June 21, 2022. /AP
A vial of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for children six months through five years old is seen, June 21, 2022. /AP
There is now a second COVID-19 option for kids aged six to 17 in the U.S.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Friday announced it is recommending Moderna shots as an option for school-age kids and teens. This group has been able to get shots made by Pfizer since last year.
CDC sets the federal government’s vaccine guidance for U.S. doctors and their patients.
Last week, the Food and Drug Administration authorized the shots – full-strength doses for children ages 12 to 17 and half-strength for those six to 11. The doses are to be given about a month apart. An expert advisory panel this week voted unanimously to recommend that CDC endorse the Moderna shots, too.
Moderna officials have said they expect to later offer a booster to all kids aged six to 17.
See A Jaw-Dropping Crescent Moon, 50 Meteors And Hour And Our Billion-Star Milky Way: What You Can See In The Night Sky This Week – Forbes
Astronomers Found a Crater From The Mystery Rocket That Smashed Into The Moon – ScienceAlert
Don"t let investment goals be blinded by interest rate rise – Proactive Investors Australia
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
Economy19 hours ago
America Wasted Its Chance to Push the Economy Forward – The Atlantic
Science15 hours ago
Esteemed Australian Kit Home Expert Informs On Using Eco-Friendly Materials – Digital Journal
News18 hours ago
‘In a crisis’: Deaths of Indigenous women in Winnipeg spark calls for safe housing
News18 hours ago
Ahead of planned Canada Day protests, federal minister says he hopes lessons have been learned – CBC News
Health18 hours ago
People with COVID-19 can infect and sicken cats and dogs by cuddling them: study – CTV News
Art17 hours ago
Tycoon Dimitris Daskalopoulos gives away huge haul of modern art – The Guardian
Economy7 hours ago
India's Economy Shows Spark on Pent-Up Demand After Reopenings – BNN
Sports5 hours ago
Lightning’s Brayden Point remains out of lineup for Game 6 – Sportsnet.ca