Connect with us

Health

OPH study breaks down COVID-19 infection by employment sector – CBC.ca

Published

on


Health-care workers are still most at risk of contracting COVID-19 on the job, but a study by Ottawa Public Health (OPH) reveals it’s not the only at-risk employment sector.

OPH analyzed data collected from the city’s 2,036 confirmed cases as of June 12, sorting the roughly 44 per cent whose declared occupation fit job categories defined by Statistics Canada’s 2016 labour force census. (Many of the rest were retired, underage or otherwise unemployed.)

“The big story to date is the majority were health-care workers,” said Brent Moloughney, Ottawa’s associate medical officer of health. “Going forward though, I think it will be very important to see what occupation groups are showing increase risk of infection.”

The epidemiological report, titled Special Focus: Occupation, shows 62 per cent of people infected with COVID-19 in Ottawa (whose declared occupation fit the designated categories) were employed in the health-care sector, most of them in long-term care.   

“Sales and service” workers made up the next largest group, accounting for 13 per cent of those who declared their occupation. Next came a broad category including teachers, police officers, jail guards and social workers, who made up 11 per cent the total. 

Moloughney said the report provides OPH with clues as to where further testing and surveillance should be concentrated.

“As we reopen … we’ll want to look at trends and whether there’s any patterns of groups that seem to be at higher risk than others,” he said.

People line up outside the COVID-19 assessment centre at Brewer Arena in Ottawa. (Jean Delisle/CBC)

According to a provincial strategy released last month, testing will be conducted not just at assessment centres and where there are outbreaks, but may also be targeted to certain employment sectors. 

“The province is also looking to expand testing to additional essential workplaces and is working collaboratively with sector leaders, including auto manufacturers, major retailers and trucking,” according to the document, called Protecting Ontarians Through Enhanced Testing

Moloughney said local public health units haven’t received details about how or when testing will be expanded, or which employment sectors might be targeted.

Among the infected health-care workers in Ottawa, the OPH survey found 71 per cent had been providing care at facilities where there’d been an outbreak, 83 per cent of those in a long-term care setting. 

The study estimates seven per cent of all health-care workers providing clinical care in Ottawa — 553 out of 7,965 — have been infected with COVID-19.

The report notes there’s much higher rate of reporting among health-care workers, since they are more likely to be tested.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Four straight days of no new COVID-19 cases in Manitoba – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

on


WINNIPEG —
For the fourth straight day, there are no new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba.

Health officials announced on Saturday that as of 9:30 a.m., no new cases have been identified.

There have been 325 lab-confirmed and probable cases in the province since early March.

As of Friday, there are 16 active cases in Manitoba and 302 people have recovered from COVID-19. The death toll remains at seven.

Since early February, 64,968 tests have been performed.

The province will provide an update data on case numbers, active cases and recoveries on Monday. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Why airlines won't contact you if a passenger with COVID-19 was on your flight – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

on


WINNIPEG —
The Manitoba government has explained why health officials are notifying airline passengers about possible COVID-19 exposure, and not the airlines themselves.

In recent days, the province has advised passengers on three Air Canada flights to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms, as a recent positive case was a passenger on the flights.

The flights are listed below:

  • AC 295 from Winnipeg to Vancouver on June 19. Affected rows are 19-25.
  • AC 122 from Vancouver to Toronto on June 21. Affected rows are 31-37.
  • AC 259 from Toronto to Winnipeg on June 23. Affected rows are 24-30.

Health officials said those in the impacted rows are considered close contacts and are asked to self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for COVID-19 symptoms. Any other passengers on the flights are asked to monitor for symptoms.

Since the pandemic started, the provincial government has maintained a list of flights where passengers with confirmed cases of COVID-19 were on.

However, some have wondered why provincial health officials are providing the updates, instead of the airlines.

CTV News Winnipeg reached out to the Manitoba government for additional information on the process.

A provincial spokesperson said the plan to post information on flights publicly, instead of requesting flight manifests, was established early in the pandemic.

“There is no direct evidence at this time that contacting individual air travellers has made it possible to find cases earlier,” the spokesperson said in an email to CTV News. “All air travellers should be self-monitoring for symptoms post-travel.”

The spokesperson went on to add, “Flight manifests take time to retrieve and often do not have contact information for all travellers that allows public health to follow-up. Airlines do not contact air travellers about public health issues directly.”

The province said the process is consistent with national guidelines and said most jurisdictions in Canada will publicly post the flight information for COVID-19 cases.

There have been 325 cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba since March 12.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

No new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba for 4th straight day – CBC.ca

Published

on


No new cases of COVID-19 were announced in Manitoba on Saturday, marking the fourth straight day since a case of the illness was identified in the province.

The total number of cases identified in Manitoba is still 325, the province said on Twitter.

Numbers on testing, recoveries and hospitalizations will be updated again on Monday.

As of Friday, 16 of the known cases in the province were still active and no one was in hospital with COVID-19.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, seven people who contracted the illness caused by the new coronavirus in Manitoba have died and 302 have recovered.

As of Friday, the total number of COVID-19 tests done in the province was 64,968.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending