Connect with us

Health

Ottawa residents 50 and older now eligible for a COVID-19 third dose – CTV Edmonton

Published

 on


Tens of thousands of Ottawa residents are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster shot today, as Ontario expands eligibility for the third dose amid rising case counts.

Starting at 8 a.m., individuals aged 50 and over are eligible to schedule a third dose appointment, as long as it has been at least six months since the second dose.

“I strongly recommend that residents book an appointment or drop-in to a pharmacy for a third dose as soon as they become eligible,” said medical officer of health Dr. Vera Etches in a statement last week.

“This along with continuing to follow public health measures will help reduce the burden on our health care system in the weeks and months ahead.”

Ottawa Public Health says additional appointments will be available to receive a third dose at the community clinics. 

You can book an appointment through the Ontario government’s COVID-19 vaccination portal, by calling the Provincial Vaccine Contact Centre at 1-833-943-3900 and through select pharmacies and primary care settings. 

The following individuals are also currently eligible for booster doses

  • Health care workers
  • Staff and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (such as long-term care and retirement homes)
  • Individuals who received a complete series of a viral vector vaccine (two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or one dose of the Janssen/Johnson and Johnson vaccine)
  • First Nation, Inuit and Métis adults (16 and over) and their non-Indigenous household members.

The expanded eligibility for a third dose comes as COVID-19 cases rise in Ontario and the COVID-19 Omicron variant of concern spreads.

Ottawa Public Health said this weekend there is evidence of community transmission of the Omicron variant in a variety of settings. Officials suspect an outbreak that closed École élémentaire catholique Saint-Jean-Paul II in Stittsville is linked to the Omicron variant.

“Testing indicates that it is likely to be the Omicron variant of concern,” said the health unit in a letter to parents on Saturday.

“As a result, the entire school (staff and students) have been deemed to be a high-risk contact and must isolate immediately, regardless of vaccination status.”

As of Jan. 4, all Ontarians aged 18 and older will be eligible to receive a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

As of Friday, 88 per cent of Ottawa residents aged five and older had received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while 82 per cent had received two doses.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Canada approves Pfizer’s oral COVID-19 antiviral treatment, seeks supplies

Published

 on

Canada on Monday approved Pfizer Inc’s oral antiviral treatment for mild to moderate cases of COVID-19 in people aged 18 and older but said supply shortages would keep doses from being made available immediately.

Infections and hospitalizations due the Omicron variant have been rising in Canada, forcing provinces to put in restrictions and the federal government to support impacted businesses.

“(This) is particularly important, as access to easy to use treatments could help to reduce the severity of COVID-19 in adults who become newly infected at high risk of progressing to serious illness,” said chief public health officer Theresa Tam.

Pfizer’s two-drug antiviral regimen, Paxlovid, was nearly 90% effective in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in patients at high risk of severe illness, according to data from the company’s clinical trial.

It is meant to be taken at home for five days beginning shortly after onset of symptoms.

Ottawa said last month it had signed a deal with Pfizer for a million treatment courses, pending approval. But getting those supplies could face hurdles.

“While there is currently limited global supply of Paxlovid, we are working to firm up a delivery schedule with the intent of bringing treatment courses to Canada as quickly as possible,” Tam told a briefing.

Ontario, the most populous of the 10 provinces, is seeing signs that Omicron cases may have peaked, said chief medical officer Kieran Moore.

“I’m starting to have much more hope … the number of cases is decelerating instead of accelerating in terms of hospitalizations and (people admitted to) intensive care units,” he told an Ottawa radio station.

Official data show that as of Jan 8, 87.8% of Canadians aged 12 and above had received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.

The U.S. authorized the Pfizer treatment for people ages 12 and older last month.

Canada is still looking at whether to approve Merck & Co’s oral antiviral pill, molnupiravir, which had less impressive results than Paxlovid in its pivotal clinical trial.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottawa and Ismail Shakil in Bengaluru; Editing by Franklin Paul and Bill Berkrot)

Continue Reading

Health

January 16, 2022 coronavirus update for Oakville – Oakville News

Published

 on


This is Oakville’s coronavirus update for Sunday, Jan. 16, 2022. As children head back to school tomorrow, the main takeaway from today’s COVID-19 update is the increase in the number of outbreaks in long-term care, retirement, and hospital facilities. OTMH is now dealing with two outbreaks as a new one was declared at 5 South, and the province has 231 hospitals recording ongoing outbreaks, an increase nice.

Hospital status

A new outbreak at OTMH was declared but not shown on the region’s update of Friday, Jan. 14, 2022. Halton does not provide new information on weekends or holidays. 

  • Oakville – 70 patients – plus 6
  • Halton – 126 patients – plus 10
  • Ontario – 3,595 patients – minus 362 (ICU 563 plus 19, Ventilators 327 plus 19)

Outbreaks

There are currently nine active outbreaks with 58 cases (LTC-41, retirement homes-13, hospitals-2) in Oakville. 

Ontario

Long-term care facilities status

  • 424 ongoing outbreaks -plus 9
  • 27,391 cases – plus 320
  • 39,06 resident deaths – plus 9

Retirement homes

  • 319 ongoing outbreaks – plus 16

Hospitals

  • 231 ongoing outbreaks – plus 16

Vaccination status

Halton 

  • 1st Dose (5+) – 90%
  • 2nd Dose (5+) – 83%
  • Boosters (18+) – 48%

Ontario administered 117,300 vaccinations

  • 1st Dose (5+) – 82%
  • 2nd Dose (5+) – 3%

Case status

The number of confirmed new cases in Oakville, Halton and Ontario is under-reported since the province restricted access to testing, limiting it to high-risk individuals, healthcare providers, and patients. 

Halton

  • 36,184 cases – plus 552 or 5,962.2 cases per million
  • 634.6 new weekly cases per 100,000, down 15.9 per cent from 2 weeks ago

Ontario

  • 948,086 total cases – plus 10,450 or 6,434.7 cases per million
  • 503.1 new weekly cases per 100,000, down 22.4 per cent from 2 weeks ago
  • 843,073 recoveries –  plus 15,317
  • 10,605 deaths – plus 40
  • 94,408 active cases – minus 4,907

**Vaccine booking: Halton continues to book first and second-dose vaccinations for all residents age five and older, plus third-dose boosters for all adults age 18 and up.

Parents must make booster doses and appointments for children in advance, but first and second doses for those 12 and up are available on a walk-in basis.

All vaccines approved for use in Canada effectively protect you against COVID-19 and all known variants of concern.

CLICK HERE to book a first, second or third vaccination appointment at a Halton Region vaccine clinic

The evidence is clear: vaccination is the best way to be protected. Local, provincial, national and international health units all affirm the same data that Canada’s approved vaccines effectively protect you from COVID-19 and significantly reduce your risks of getting sick, going to the hospital, and dying from the disease.

Pictured right is a graph from the Halton region showing how dramatically your risk of getting sick or being admitted to hospital is when vaccinated.

Sources: 

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 outbreak declared at Veterans Memorial Lodge care home in Saanich – CHEK

Published

 on


Broadmead Care is declaring an outbreak of COVID-19 at Veterans Memorial Lodge care home.

The society says three residents have tested positive for the virus, one in unit A2, two in B3.

Broadmead Care’s medical director has implemented outbreak preventions at the care home, which follow Island Health’s outbreak protocols.

The residents who have tested positive are being isolated in their rooms, and impacted residents and staff are being monitored twice daily for symptoms.

There will be no congregate dining, and social visits have been suspended. Essential visits will continue.

The affected rooms will be under enhanced cleaning and infection control measures and staff movement will be limited wherever possible.

Broadmead Care says they are in contact with Island Health about this outbreak.

The society says all family of affected residents have been contacted, and if someone hasn’t been contact then their loved one is not affected by this outbreak.

Island Health has not yet listed this outbreak on their website, and there are currently 12 other healthcare outbreaks in the health authority region.

READ MORE: Island Health declares five new COVID-19 outbreaks

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending