Connect with us

Health

Outbreak declared at 3rd Manitoba personal care home as provincial COVID-19 cases climb by 55 on Saturday – CBC.ca

Published

on


An outbreak has been declared at the Hillcrest Place personal care home in Brandon, Man., after a health-care worker there tested positive for COVID-19, the province says in a news release.

The employee’s case was one previously identified in the Prairie Mountain Health region, which includes Brandon. The person wore personal protective equipment at work and is now self-isolating, the release says. Close contacts of the worker have been notified, as have families and staff at the site.

The care home has been moved to the red, or “critical,” level in the province’s colour-coded pandemic response system.

The risk at the site is low, but outbreak protocols have been started out of “an abundance of caution,” including putting precautionary measures in place and restricting visitation, the release says.

The care home is the third in Manitoba to have a COVID-19 outbreak declared in recent weeks, including another in Brandon.

The Rideau Park Personal Care Home in the southwestern Manitoba city initiated outbreak protocols on Thursday, after an employee there tested positive for the illness.

The Bethesda Place care home in Steinbach declared an outbreak on Aug. 17. To date, eight people at that site have tested positive for COVID-19, including three residents — two of whom died this week.

The fatalities brought Manitoba’s COVID-19 death toll to 14.

Fifty-five more people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Manitoba as of Saturday morning, more than half of which are in the Prairie Mountain Health region, the release says.

The update brings Manitoba’s total active cases to 444, the release says.

31 new cases in Manitoba’s southwest

Thirty-one of the new cases are in the Prairie Mountain Health region. The area still has more than half of Manitoba’s active COVID-19 cases, with 235 on Saturday, the province’s online data portal says.

Nineteen are in the Winnipeg health region, while five are in the Southern Health region, the release says.

Investigations suggest 19 of the new cases are close contacts of previously announced cases, it says.

To date, 1,155 cases of the illness have been identified in the province, and 693 people have recovered.

Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate, a rolling average of the number of COVID-19 tests that come back positive, is now 2.6 per cent, the release says. That represents a slight increase from the rate of 2.3 recorded on Friday.

The province says numbers on coronavirus-linked hospitalizations, including the number of people in intensive care, will not be updated again until Sunday because of upgrades being made to its data system this weekend.

As of Friday, five people with the illness were in hospital, with one of those in intensive care.

New mask rules, public health orders

As of Saturday, face masks are mandatory for people riding Winnipeg Transit buses, those using Winnipeg Transit Plus, and those going into city spaces, including libraries and community centres.

New public health orders came into effect on Friday, which allow the province to immediately fine people $486 every day for not properly self-isolating. That change came because some people weren’t following the rules, said Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin.

On Friday, 1,293 more COVID-19 tests were done in Manitoba, bringing the total number done since early February to 133,378, the release says.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia's streak of no new COVID-19 cases reaches Day 13; zero active cases remain – CTV News Atlantic

Published

on


HALIFAX —
Nova Scotia’s number of active COVID-19 cases remains at zero; meanwhile, the province hasn’t announced a new case for 13 consecutive days.

On Sunday, the province reported that no new cases were identified on Saturday – a day which saw Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs complete 858 Nova Scotia tests.

CASE BREAKDOWN

To date, Nova Scotia has 87,428 negative test results, 1,086 positive COVID-19 cases and 65 deaths. No one is currently in hospital – 1,021 cases are now resolved.

Cases range in age from under 10 to over 90. Sixty-one per cent of cases are female and 39 per cent are male.

There are cases confirmed across the province, but most have been identified in the central zone, which contains the Halifax Regional Municipality.

The provincial government says cumulative cases by zone may change as data is updated in Panorama, the province’s electronic information system.

The numbers reflect where a person lives, and not where their sample was collected.

  •     Western zone: 55 cases
  •     Central zone: 910 cases
  •     Northern zone: 67 cases
  •     Eastern zone: 54 cases

 

STATE OF EMERGENCY REMAINS IN PLACE

On Friday, the province announced the provincial state of emergency, which was first declared on March 22, has been extended to October 4, unless the government terminates or extends it.

 

UPDATED LIST OF SYMPTOMS

The province recently reduced the number of COVID-19 symptoms for which health officials are screening.

The provincial government said the updated list of symptoms reflects the current epidemiology in Nova Scotia.

Anyone who experiences a new or worsening fever or cough, or two or more of the following new or worsening symptoms is encouraged to take an online test to determine if they should call 811 for further assessment:

  •     sore throat
  •     headache
  •     shortness of breath
  •     runny nose

 

SELF-ISOLATION

Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 is required to self-isolate at home, away from the public, for 14 days.

Anyone who travels to Nova Scotia from outside the Atlantic region is required to self-isolate for 14 days and must fill out a self-declaration form before coming to the province.

However, the province has eased some self-isolation requirements for out-of-province rotational workers.

Residents of New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador are not required to self-isolate when travelling to Nova Scotia, but they must be prepared to provide proof of their place of residency at provincial borders.

Visitors from outside the Atlantic region who have already self-isolated in another Atlantic province for 14 days may travel to Nova Scotia without having to self-isolate again.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Region of Waterloo Public Health reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 – KitchenerToday.com

Published

on


Region of Waterloo Public Health is reporting 18 new cases of COVID-19 on its information dashboard.

But due to ongoing data revisions, two additional cases were added to yesterday’s count, along with an additional case earlier this week.

The total number of cases is at 1,592 since March. 

Eighty-five per cent of all cases are considered resolved.

There are no additional deaths and no COVID-19 patients in hospital with the active caseload at 112. 

Outbreaks remain unchanged today, with six in effect in various settings.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Community case of COVID-19 linked to outbreak at Pembroke, Ont. high school – CTV Edmonton

Published

on


PEMBROKE —
A community contact connected to the COVID-19 outbreak at Fellowes High School in Pembroke has tested positive for novel coronavirus.

The Renfrew County and District Health Unit provided an update Saturday evening on the COVID-19 outbreak that closed the high school last Wednesday. Four staff members and a student at the school have tested positive for the virus.

The health unit says a community contact connected to the outbreak has tested positive for COVID-19.

“This is not a student or staff member at Fellowes High School, but has been identified through contact tracing,” said the health unit in a statement.

“They have been isolating since being identified as a high-risk contact.”

The Renfrew Country and District Health Unit says there have been no additional positive COVID-19 cases among students or staff at the school.

Acting Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Cushman told CTV News Ottawa on Friday that he will know more information on Monday about when the school may reopen.

Fellowes High School in Pembroke was the first school in Ontario forced to close due to COVID-19 cases.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending