" >Over 10 million MGM hotel guests' info posted on hacking site: report - Business Insider - Business Insider | Canada News Media
Connect with us

Business

Over 10 million MGM hotel guests' info posted on hacking site: report – Business Insider – Business Insider

Published

on


  • More than 10 million MGM hotel guests had their personal information leaked online this week, according to ZDNet.
  • Full names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, and birthdays were exposed, but MGM told Business Insider that no payment information was compromised.
  • MGM said it discovered the data breach last year and notified customers who were affected based on state laws.
  • The singer Justin Bieber, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, and US government officials were reportedly among those whose data was leaked.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

The personal information of more than 10.6 million MGM Resorts guests was posted onto a hacking forum this week, the news site ZDNet reported on Wednesday.

Celebrities, reporters, government officials, tech CEOs, and tech employees were among those affected, according to ZDNet.

ZDNet reported that it was told of the leak by a company called Under the Breach and that the two organizations worked together to verify the leaked information.

Full names, home addresses, phone numbers, emails, and birthdays of 10,683,188 people who had stayed at an MGM hotel were included in the leaked files, according to ZDNet.

MGM told the outlet that the information was older, and ZDNet said none of the guests it spoke with to confirm the data had stayed at one of the company’s hotels after 2017.

A representative from MGM said the company couldn’t confirm the number of people whose information was stolen.

According to ZDNet, among those whose information was leaked were high-profile people including the pop star Justin Bieber and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, as well as officials from the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration.

Twitter declined to comment on whether Dorsey’s information was compromised.

MGM declined to confirm any specific people affected by the breach but told ZDNet it noticed the breach of a cloud server last year and had notified customers „as applicable by state law.“ It also said most of the information would be considered „phone book“ information, meaning it could be found in a phone book or through a Google search, and most states do not require that people be notified when such information is released.

The site Under the Breach came across the leaked files on an online forum commonly used by hackers, the company told Business Insider in a Twitter message. A researcher then cross-referenced the information with publicly available data and emails that had been exposed in previous breaches, the company said. ZDNet and Under the Breach also confirmed with several people whose information appeared in the leaked files that they had indeed stayed at MGM hotels during the time period in question.

The release of information stemmed from a breach on a cloud server that was discovered last summer. An MGM representative told Business Insider the company was confident that no financial information was stolen.

Upon discovering the issue, MGM said, it got two leading cybersecurity forensics firms to help with an internal investigation.

„At MGM Resorts, we take our responsibility to protect guest data very seriously, and we have strengthened and enhanced the security of our network to prevent this from happening again,“ the company representative told Business Insider.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Buffett spends record US$2.2B buying up Berkshire shares – BNNBloomberg.ca

Published

on


Warren Buffett kicked his stock-buyback program into high gear, spending US$2.2 billion on repurchases in the last three months of 2019, the most ever in a single quarter — and he’s looking to buy even more.

Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., which loosened its repurchase policy almost two years ago after being stymied on the dealmaking front, has since taken a cautious approach to buybacks, acquiring only US$6.3 billion of stock. In the fourth quarter, Buffett bought shares every month, and has no plans to slow down, if the price is right.

“Shareholders having at least US$20 million in value of A or B shares and an inclination to sell shares to Berkshire may wish to have their broker contact Berkshire’s Mark Millard,” Buffett said in his annual letter to shareholders Saturday. “We request that you phone Mark between 8:00-8:30 a.m. or 3:00-3:30 p.m. Central Time, calling only if you are ready to sell.”

Even as Buffett ramped up his repurchases, Berkshire’s massive pile of cash hovered close to a record, totaling $128 billion at the end of 2019. Buffett, Berkshire’s chairman and chief executive officer, has sought to redeploy those funds into higher-returning deals or stock purchases, but has been stymied by what he’s said are “sky-high” prices for good businesses.

Buffett spent a portion of his annual letter reassuring shareholders about the future of the company once it’s no longer run by the billionaire investor and his business partner, Charlie Munger, who turned 96 this year.

“Berkshire shareholders need not worry: Your company is 100% prepared for our departure,” Buffett said.

At Berkshire’s annual meeting in May, shareholders will be able to submit questions to be answered by lieutenants Ajit Jain or Greg Abel, Berkshire vice chairmen who are considered top contenders to someday replace Buffett. They answered a few investors questions at last year’s meeting.

Berkshire’s operating earnings fell to US$4.42 billion in the fourth quarter, down 23 per cent from a year earlier, driven by underwriting losses at its namesake reinsurance group, which was hurt by typhoons in Japan, wildfires in California and Australia, and widening losses at its business writing retroactive reinsurance contracts.

Berkshire’s Class A shares last year underperformed the S&P 500 Index by the widest margin since 2009. The stock has gained just 1.1% this year.

Also in Berkshire’s 2019 annual report, released alongside Buffett’s letter Saturday:

  • Kraft Heinz Co., which counts Berkshire as its largest shareholder, had a tumultuous 2019, with writedowns, management shakeups and downgrades to junk. Buffett’s company carries its Kraft Heinz investment on its balance sheet at US$13.8 billion, a figure unchanged since 2018’s fourth quarter, even as the market price of the stake dropped to US$10.5 billion at the end of last year.
  • Berkshire’s BNSF railroad posted a 3.8 per cent gain in profit in the fourth quarter, just shy of record earnings in the previous three months, as a decline in expenses helped counter falling revenue across shipments of products such as coal, consumer items and agricultural goods. BNSF posted a regulatory filing Friday night, on the eve of the release of Buffett’s annual letter, giving investors a sneak peek of results.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

No winning ticket for Friday night's $65 million Lotto Max jackpot – CTV News

Published

on


TORONTO —
No winning ticket was sold for the $65 million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw.

However, six of the Maxmillion prizes of $1 million each were won.

They will be shared by eight ticket holders.

The jackpot for the next Lotto Max draw on Feb. 25 will now grow to an eye-popping $70 million, and there will be 20 Maxmillion prizes up for grabs.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Superior takes measures to move propane by truck, U.S. trains amid rail blockades – The Globe and Mail

Published

on


Cargo containers sit on idle train cars at port in Vancouver, on Feb. 21, 2020. Superior has brought in trucks from Western Canada and moved propane to Atlantic Canada by train from the United States.

DARRYL DYCK/The Canadian Press

Fears of a looming propane crisis caused by rail blockades have been partly alleviated by U.S. supplies, unseasonably warm weather and selective deliveries, says the head of Superior Propane.

But unless freight-train service resumes in Eastern Canada, rationing and shortages of the home-heating fuel are likely, said Greg McCamus, president of Superior Propane, whose main Ontario depot in Sarnia is supplied by trains and a pipeline.

Superior has brought in trucks from Western Canada and moved propane to Atlantic Canada by train from the United States, Mr. McCamus said. Customers that operate barbecue refilling stations are getting limited deliveries, in order to allow Superior to prioritize residents, hospitals and nursing homes.

Story continues below advertisement

“We’ve also been a bit fortunate that the weather in Ontario has been a bit warmer than normal for this time of year. So that’s all helping us to keep the supply moving.”

Mr. McCamus said the measures have helped ensure Superior can maintain a supply that would last about a week to 10 days. Normally, there is about two weeks’ supply. He said it is hard to pin down a date by which the supplies will run out, given the new steps the company has taken, and the variables of weather and demand.

“We hope that if the rail lines start running again, we can move through it without that kind of a crisis happening. But there is no question it’s an issue for the industry. And if we don’t get a resolution, it’s going to get [worse],” he said by phone.

The blockades are in support of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, who oppose the Coastal GasLink natural gas pipeline on their traditional territory in northern British Columbia. The $6-billion project by Calgary-based TC Energy Corp. would pipe natural gas from northeastern B.C. to Kitimat on the coast for export.

The protests have raised concerns about shortages of critical supplies of everything from propane to water-treatment chemicals, and put pressure on the federal government to find a solution to limit economic damage.

Canadian National Railway Co., whose line east of Toronto has been blocked for two weeks, has halted freight service on its eastern Canadian network. Passenger rail company Via Rail, which leases track space from CN, has suspended most of its trains.

The blockades have also stopped or slowed rail service at Canada’s four main ports, Vancouver, Prince Rupert, B.C., Montreal and Halifax, forcing ships to idle at anchor or divert to U.S. destinations.

Story continues below advertisement

In Halifax and Montreal, off-loaded containers of consumer goods and industrial components are stacked on the docks, with no CN trains to take them away to markets outside the province. “The CN network blockade greatly complicates the logistics of transporting goods or completely blocks the movement of goods for CN users,” said Mélanie Nadeau, a spokeswoman for the Port of Montreal.

An executive with German container ship owner Hapag-Lloyd AG said the company is considering skipping calls at Halifax, but has been less affected at Vancouver and Montreal, where it uses Canadian Pacific Railway trains.

In an open letter to Mr. Trudeau, CP chief executive officer Keith Creel called on the Prime Minister to hold talks with the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs. Mr. Creel said the railway is “severely impacted” by the disputes, including a Thursday protest on a CP line near Chase, B.C., that stopped trains headed to the Port of Vancouver and a 12-day blockade south of Montreal that has cut off U.S. access.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending