Connect with us

Health

Pfizer to start shipping coronavirus vaccine to Canada

Published

 on

By David Ljunggren and Carl O’Donnell

OTTAWA (Reuters) – Pfizer Inc will next week start supplying Canada with COVID-19 vaccine made in its U.S. plant, a senior official said on Friday, making it the second country to receive doses from the Kalamazoo, Michigan facility.

Reuters reported on Thursday that Pfizer had started shipping doses made at the plant to Mexico, the first time the company has delivered abroad from U.S. facilities after a Trump-era restriction on its vaccine exports expired at the end of March.

“I can confirm that as of May 3, the Canadian supply of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine will come from its manufacturing site in Kalamazoo,” Canada federal Procurement Minister Anita Anand said.

Canada expects to remain on the same schedule, with 2 million doses expected each week in May and 2.4 million doses each week in June, Anand said.

The U.S. government has been under mounting pressure to help countries desperately in need of vaccines, particularly given its own swift vaccination program. Many countries where the virus is still rampant are struggling to acquire vaccine supplies to help tame the pandemic.

Canada has deals with Pfizer for up to 76 million doses. Pfizer and German partner BioNTech SE have previously been supplying various countries including Canada and Mexico with doses from Pfizer’s main European production plant in Belgium.

Pfizer has shipped more than 10 million COVID-19 vaccine doses to Mexico, making it the country’s largest supplier of shots. Pfizer is also shipping 1 million shots to Brazil this week, its health minister said on Wednesday. Brazil signed an agreement in March to acquire 100 million Pfizer shots and it is in talks to purchase 100 million more.

Pfizer will use extra capacity in its U.S. facilities to deliver coronavirus vaccines abroad while continuing to meet its commitment to supply the United States, a source familiar with the matter said, adding the drugmaker will also make shipments from Belgium.

 

(Reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottowa, Carl O’Donnell in New York, Adriana Barrera and Raul Cortes in Mexico City; additional reporting by Gabriel Stargardter in Rio De Janiero; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Grant McCool)

Health

Ontario reports 653 new COVID-19 cases, 6 more virus-related deaths – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Ontario is reporting another week-over-week decline in its daily COVID-19 case count with fewer than 700 new infections confirmed over the past 24 hours.

Provincial health officials logged 653 new COVID-19 cases today, up slightly from 640 on Saturday but down from 715 one week ago.

The seven-day rolling average of new cases continues to drop, hitting 620 today, down from 709 last Sunday.

Of the new cases confirmed today, 499 are in individuals who are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status and 154 are in those who are fully immunized.

With 31,063 tests processed over the past 24 hours, officials are reporting a provincewide positivity rate of two per cent, compared to 2.3 per cent seven days ago.

The province says there are now 177 people with COVID-19 receiving treatment in Ontario intensive care units, declining by five since last Sunday.

Six more virus-related deaths were reported over the past 24 hours but the province says three of those fatalities occurred last month.

Ontario’s active COVID-19 caseload now sits at 5,591, down from 6,396 last Sunday.

More than 80 per cent of eligible Ontarians have now received both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.

In an effort to boost vaccination rates, the city is holding vaccination clinics in a variety of locations with high foot traffic, including malls across Toronto this weekend.

Dr. Omar Khan, an assistant professor with the University of Toronto’s Institute of Biomedical Engineering, said Ontario’s high vaccination rate will help keep ICUs from filling up.

“By having people vaccinated, that keeps them out of the hospital, keeps them out of the ICUs, and then lets the medical system catch up with everything that’s been piling up,” he told CP24 on Sunday morning. 

The numbers used in this story are found in the Ontario Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Daily Epidemiologic Summary. The number of cases for any city or region may differ slightly from what is reported by the province, because local units report figures at different times.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: N.B. reports person in 40s has died, as province adds 82 new cases – Globalnews.ca

Published

 on


A person in their 40s is New Brunswick’s 54th COVID-related death.

The province said in a news release Sunday that the person was from Zone 1 (Moncton region).

The news marked six COVID-related deaths in the province since last Wednesday, under a week ago.

“Each life taken in New Brunswick by COVID-19 is more than a number,” said Premier Blaine Higgs in a news release.

“These are people’s parents, children, friends, neighbours and coworkers.”

The death was announced on the same day the province reported 82 new cases — 64 of which involve people who are not fully vaccinated.

Read more:
Lifting COVID-19 restrictions in New Brunswick was ‘not the right decision’: doctor

There are now 33 people in New Brunswick hospitalized due to the virus, 15 of whom are in the ICU.

With 33 recoveries reported, the number of active cases is now 628.

Public Health data shows 79.2 per cent of eligible New Brunswickers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and 88 per cent have received their first dose of vaccine.

New cases breakdown

The new cases are:

Zone 1 (Moncton region) – 27 cases

  • 12 people 19 and under
  • one person 20-29
  • three people 30-39
  • two people 40-49
  • two people 50-59
  • two people 70-79
  • three people 80-89
  • two people 90 and over

Eighteen cases are under investigation and nine are contacts of a previously-confirmed case.

Zone 2 (Saint John region) – four cases

  • a person 20-29
  • a person 40-49
  • a person 60-69
  • a person 70-79

Three cases are contacts of previously-confirmed cases and one is under investigation.


Click to play video: 'COVID-19: the upward trend in cases among children'



4:53
COVID-19: the upward trend in cases among children


COVID-19: the upward trend in cases among children

Zone 3 (Fredericton region) – 30 cases

  • 16 people 19 and under
  • six people 20-29
  • one person 40-49
  • three people 50-59
  • four people 60-69

Twenty-two cases are under investigation and eight are contacts of previously-confirmed cases.

Zone 4 (Edmundston region) – 14 cases

  • four people 19 and under
  • two people 20-29
  • six people 30-39
  • two people 80-89

Thirteen cases are under investigation and one is a contact of a previously-confirmed case.

Zone 5 (Campbellton region) – two cases

  • a person 30-39
  • a person 70-79

Both cases are contacts of previously-confirmed cases.

Zone 6 (Bathurst region) – four cases

  • three people 30-39
  • one person 40-49

Three cases are under investigation and one is a contact of a previously-confirmed case.

Zone 7 (Miramichi region) – one case

  • a person 30-39

This case is under investigation.

State of emergency reinstated

On Friday, the province reinstated a state of emergency due to the current level of COVID-19 hospitalizations.

Physical distancing, indoor masking and a proof of vaccination policy for certain services and businesses are now in effect.

Anyone entering New Brunswick must also pre-register through the New Brunswick Travel Registration Program.


Click to play video: 'New Brunswickers react to reinstated state of emergency'



0:41
New Brunswickers react to reinstated state of emergency


New Brunswickers react to reinstated state of emergency

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Outbreak declared at Prince George's University Hospital of Northern BC – BC News – Castanet.net

Published

 on


A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Prince George’s University Hospital of Northern BC Sunday.

Northern Health says nine patients and one staff member on the hospital’s Primary Care Medical Unit have tested positive for the virus, and more testing is currently underway.

As a result, the hospital has restricted the unit to essential visitors only.

The condition of the infected people was not disclosed.

An outbreak at the same hospital last December through January left eight people dead, after 33 people tested positive.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending