Connect with us

Business

Pharmacies doling out Moderna and Pfizer in pilot project just before younger kids expected to be OKed for vaccine – CTV News Vancouver

Published

 on


VICTORIA –

Dozens of pharmacies in B.C. are delivering mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, yet still don’t know if they will be part of the immunization plan when it comes to kids aged five to 11.

At the Fort St John pharmacy, demand for the Moderna shot isn’t exactly overwhelming, but increasing every week, according to pharmacist Michael Ortynsky. He says aside from some paperwork, things have run smoothly, thanks in large part to specialized vaccine fridges.

“It’s checked every day, twice a day, as a minimum and it’s connected to an alarm if the temperature rises above five degrees,” he explained in an interview with CTV News.

Once refrigerated, the vaccine can last up to 30 days.

Several Northern pharmacies have been able to distribute the mRNA vaccine since late August. In the Lower Mainland, 54 pharmacies are doing the same — many administering Pfizer — as part of a pilot project. According to the ministry, they’re delivering on average 4,000 doses each week.

Yet despite two months of experience, it’s still unclear whether pharmacies will be part of the vaccine rollout for kids aged five to 11 who are expected to get the green light for a jab next month.

On Tuesday, Dr. Bonnie Henry told reporters, “There will be some pharmacies that will be involved, but also health authority clinics in different settings.”

Pharmacists did provide AstraZeneca but B.C. has so far resisted a wide-scale approach involving pharmacies.

A statement from Angie Gaddy, communications director for the BC Pharmacy Association, says in part, ‘We are in discussions with the government on planning for mRNA vaccines in B.C. pharmacies and what it will take to roll out on a large-scale basis.”

Dr. Brian Conway with the Vancouver Infectious Diseases Centre is encouraging government to let go of control and “democratize” the system.

“There are over 300,000 children aged five to 11 in this province. That’s not a small task getting them all vaccinated, ” he told CTV News.

Conway thinks it will be essential to get as many kids immunized as quickly as possible. As of Wednesday nearly 89 per cent of those aged 12 and older had at a least one shot of vaccine. It’s not been enough to slow transmission, which has been rising in children.

Earlier this week — Dr. Henry ruled out using doctors’ offices. Conway thinks that’s a mistake pointing out parents will have questions.

“And as soon as they’re finished asking their questions and they’re decide to be going ahead with the vaccination of that child, that vaccination should be immediately available,” added Dr. Conway.

In the Peace, Ortynsky agrees saying he spends time answering questions.

“My experience is there’s a lot of misinformation out there and we’ll gladly take the time to talk to people about it,” said Ortynsky.

He adds the extended hours of operation – beyond typical clinic hours – allows pharmacists to reach more people.

“I know most of the pharmacists I communicate with during the week are more than willing to, you know, accommodate the patient’s needs to give them this really important vaccine, when they need it.”

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

OPEC+ sticks with current oil production plan, despite Omicron – Aljazeera.com

Published

 on


OPEC+ is sticking with its current plan to adjust crude output by an additional 400,000 barrels a day in January.

OPEC+ is sticking with its plan to keep slowing raising oil output, despite the threat the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus could pose to global crude demand.

OPEC+ – a grouping of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), led by Saudi Arabia, and its allies led by Russia – made the decision at the conclusion of its meeting on Thursday to stick with its current plan to adjust crude output by an additional 400,000 barrels a day in January.

The group has been incrementally opening its taps since August as it continues to unwind the deep production cuts it agreed to back in 2020, when oil prices crashed in the opening months of the pandemic.

Thursday’s decision to hold the line on its current output plan comes at a time of heightened concerns in global oil markets.

Benchmark oil prices have fallen more than $12 since the World Health Organization declared Omicron a “variant of concern” last week, triggering fresh travel restrictions – which could dent crude demand – as well as fuelling concerns over how effective current COVID-19 vaccines may be against the new strain.

Oil prices kept slipping following the news of Thursday’s OPEC+ decision. At 10:26am ET (15:26 GMT) in New York trading, global benchmark Brent crude was down 60 cents to $68.27 a barrel, while United States benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude was down 66 cents at $64.91 cents a barrel, according to Bloomberg data.

Last Thursday, Brent crude was trading upward of $82 a barrel, while WTI was north of $77 a barrel.

Global oil markets have been whipsawed in recent weeks. An energy crunch that swept the globe in October saw prices rise sharply, prompting calls from US President Joe Biden for OPEC and its allies to boost output and help cool the market.

OPEC+ resisted those calls, leading the US and other nations to tap their strategic oil reserves to help alleviate global price pressures.

But the unpredictable path of the pandemic has flexed its muscle over global energy markets once again with the emergence of the Omicron variant.

“The Omicron variant has sobered up markets during the last few days, halting the oil demand recovery enthusiasm and sending traders scrambling to limit risk in their portfolios,” analysts at Rystad Energy wrote in a note to clients on Thursday.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Oil Prices Bounce Back Despite The OPEC Decision – OilPrice.com

Published

 on



Oil Prices Bounce Back Despite The OPEC+ Decision | OilPrice.com


Tsvetana Paraskova

Tsvetana Paraskova

Tsvetana is a writer for Oilprice.com with over a decade of experience writing for news outlets such as iNVEZZ and SeeNews. 

More Info

Trending Discussions

Premium Content

Oil terminal

Oil prices rose on Thursday after OPEC+ decided to keep its oil production policy unchanged and add another 400,000 bpd on the market in January.

As of 10:14 a.m. EST, post OPEC+ meet, WTI Crude was up 1.46% at $66.53 and Brent Crude had increased 1.35% at $69.80. Both benchmarks erased the losses of 3% right after first news reports suggested the monthly increase was on for January.

OPEC+ is sticking to its production plan to add 400,000 barrels per day (bpd) to its production in January, OPEC said in a statement on Thursday, noting that the meeting remains in session.  

The group “agree that the meeting shall remain in session pending further developments of the pandemic and continue to monitor the market closely and make immediate adjustments if required,” OPEC said.

The next regularly scheduled meeting of OPEC+ is set for January 4, 2022.

So, the group is now set to add oil on the market in January, although speculation was high in recent days that OPEC+ could opt for a pause in the monthly increases because of the still high uncertainty over the Omicron COVID variant, the SPR releases led by the United States, and the expected worse-than-thought oil surplus early next year.

The leaders of the group, Saudi Arabia and Russia, had already signaled earlier this week that OPEC+ should not jump the gun and freeze the monthly additions to supply because of the Omicron variant, which has spooked the oil market. With still little information on the new variant and whether it escapes vaccine protection, the alliance looks ready to take further action, if necessary, but it is showing it is not over-reacting to Omicron as many analysts said the market has done.

Initial reactions to the rollover of the production policy suggest that OPEC+ could also believe that global demand will remain resilient during the winter season, and sends a message to the market present in almost every press release: stability.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:

Download The Free Oilprice App Today


Back to homepage

<!–

Trending Discussions

–>



Related posts

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Months after massive IPO, China's Didi moves to delist from NYSE – MarketWatch

Published

 on


Chinese ride-hailing giant Didi Global Inc. said late Thursday it plans to delist from the New York Stock Exchange, bowing to pressure from the Chinese government.

“After careful study, the company will start delisting on the New York Stock Exchange immediately, and start preparations for listing in Hong Kong,” Didi said in a post on its Weibo account.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending