Connect with us

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposure at Vancouver strip club – Global News

Published

on


Health officials have issued a notification about possible COVID-19 exposure at a Vancouver strip club earlier this week.

Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) says multiple people who attended Brandi’s Exotic Show Lounge on Hornby Street between the hours of 9 p.m. and 3 a.m. from June 21 to June 24 have tested positive for the coronavirus.

VCH says there is no risk to anyone who attended the club outside those dates.

“As a precaution, we are advising people who attended Brandi’s Exotic Show Lounge during those hours to monitor themselves for 14 days,” said the health authority.

“As long as they remain healthy and do not develop symptoms, there is no need to self-isolate and they should continue with their usual daily activities.”

Read more:
B.C. reports 10 new COVID-19 cases, one new death

Story continues below advertisement

VCH adds that people without symptoms should not seek a test, as the results will not necessarily be accurate.

A notice on the club’s website says that it has temporarily closed “due to some concerns from VCH” but that it will reopen soon.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The company does not have a COVID-19 safety plan posted on its website, as required by public health order.

VCH was unable to immediately say whether the club had a safety plan in place or what measures it had taken to prevent transmission.

Strip clubs are not addressed by any specific guidelines under B.C.’s pandemic reopening plan, but VCH said it has provided advice to some strip clubs on reopening under the pandemic.

“It’s our opinion that a combination of the performing arts guidance and and the restaurant and pub guidance would address many of their issues,” said a VCH spokesperson in an email.

“For example, if a strip club was acting as a bar, then could set seating capacity based on physical distancing and barriers.”

Under Phase 2 of the plan, food and liquor service establishments were allowed to reopen in May. Those establishments must maintain two metres between parties, retain a name and telephone number from patrons, and stay below a maximum capacity listed in their safety plan — among other precautions.

Story continues below advertisement

WorkSafeBC said it was checking with its prevention team about whether it had been notified about the incident.

Global News has requested comment from Brandi’s.

More to come…

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

What you need to know about COVID-19 in Alberta on Tuesday, July 7 – CBC.ca

Published

on


The latest:

  • Alberta reported 47 new cases of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to 620.
  • Two men in their 70s have died, both linked to an outbreak at Edmonton’s Misericordia Community Hospital, which has close its doors to most new patients
  • The NHL and NHL Players’ Association agreed Sunday on protocols to resume the season, a major step toward the return of hockey this summer. It’s expected some of the games will be played in Edmonton.
  • A program providing free non-medical masks to Albertans at drive-thru restaurants will resume next Monday.
  • The City of Edmonton won’t make masks mandatory, as it would need new bylaw to do so.

What you need to know today in Alberta:

An Alberta physician is one of 239 scientists in 32 countries who signed an open letter calling on the World Health Organization to recognize airborne transmission as a possibility with the coronavirus.

But B.C.’s provincial health officer says the controversy over airborne transmission of COVID-19 has been overblown.

A growing outbreak of COVID-19 has forced Edmonton’s Misericordia Community Hospital to close its doors to most new patients and institute a series of “aggressive” pandemic protocols in bid to slow the spread of the virus. 

Alberta farms are feeling the pinch of seasonal worker delays caused by the pandemic.

A provincial program giving non-medical masks to Albertans at fast food drive-thrus is set to resume on July 13. The masks are free.

(CBC News)

The province reported 47 new cases on Tuesday. A total of 7,659 people have recovered, 54 are in hospital and of those six are in intensive care. A total of 157 people have died.

Here’s the breakdown of active cases across the province:

  • Edmonton zone: 243.
  • Calgary zone: 230.
  • South zone: 86.
  • North zone: 51.
  • Central zone: 4.
  • Unknown: 6.

(CBC News)

What you need to know today in Canada:

Residents of eastern Ontario, including the City of Ottawa, are required to wear non-medical masks in indoor public places to prevent the spread of COVID-19 starting today.

Prince Edward Island reported no new cases of COVID-19 Monday, but close contacts of the five cases announced on the weekend are being monitored closely. The cases appear to have originated with a man now in Nova Scotia who had recently been in the United States.

As of 5:30 a.m. ET on Tuesday, Canada had 105,935 confirmed and presumptive coronavirus cases. Provinces and territories listed 69,570 of the cases as recovered or resolved. A CBC News tally of deaths based on provincial reports, regional health information and CBC’s reporting stood at 8,738. 

Self-assessment and supports:

Alberta Health Services has an online self-assessment tool that you can use to determine if you have symptoms of COVID-19, but testing is open to anyone, even without symptoms. 

The province says Albertans who have returned to Canada from other countries must self-isolate. Unless your situation is critical and requires a call to 911, Albertans are advised to call Health Link at 811 before visiting a physician, hospital or other health-care facility.

If you have symptoms, even mild, you are to self-isolate for at least 10 days from the onset of symptoms, until the symptoms have disappeared. 

You can find Alberta Health Services’ latest coronavirus updates here.

The province also operates a confidential mental health support line at 1-877-303-2642 and addiction help line at 1-866-332-2322, available from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week. 

Online resources are available for advice on handling stressful situations and ways to talk with children.

There is a 24-hour family violence information line at 310-1818 to get anonymous help in more than 170 languages, and Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence is available at 1-866-403-8000, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

N.W.T. ends state of emergency for 1st time during COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

The Northwest Territories government has decided it will no longer extend its state of emergency for the first time since COVID-19 emergency measures were enacted in the territory.

The territory has been under a state of emergency — one of its two emergency public health measures — due to the pandemic since March. The state of emergency gave the government extraordinary powers, including the power to enter premises without a warrant; procure food, fuel, and medical supplies; and fix prices on essential goods.

“The public was wonderful, the stores, the supply chains … they were all wonderful and we never had to enact it or utilize it,” Premier Caroline Cochrane said Tuesday.

“So if we’re not utilizing it, it makes sense now that we’re in phase two that we don’t carry that forward any longer.”

The government added that it will continue to review the situation, and if needed — like if there’s a second wave of COVID-19 and evidence of community spread — it’s prepared to bring back the state of emergency, but would be cautious about doing so.

The territory has been free of known COVID-19 cases for roughly three months but Cochrane said it took this long to lift the state of emergency because “often best decisions aren’t made quickly.”

“I know that the public is saying ‘we have no cases, we haven’t had any cases’, but watch the news,” she said, noting a recent spike in COVID-19 cases in some U.S. states.

“We have to be very careful. It’s still going on huge in the southern jurisdictions and we don’t have the healthcare capacity to deal with a huge outbreak.”

Cochrane acknowledged concerns from people who may feel their civil liberties are being limited by the state of emergency. That’s why with the last order, she says, the government allowed people to come to the territory if they were working, looking for work, reuniting with family or obtained a special government exemption.

Public health emergency extended

Meanwhile, Health Minister Diane Thom has extended the territory’s public health emergency on the recommendation of the chief public health officer, according to a news release.

The public health emergency gives the Office of the Chief Public Health Officer the ability to create and enforce public health orders.

The release states that to this point, the territory has been “successful at managing the risk of COVID-19 using the tools available under the Public Health Act,” and so it has not had to draw on resources under the Emergency Management Act that a state of emergency would allow for.

Back in June, the territorial government extended both of its territory-wide emergency declarations for the seventh time. Both were set to expire on Wednesday.

Government spokesperson Mike Westwick said the public health emergency will expire on July 21.

The news release also reminded residents that everyone entering the N.W.T. is still required to self-isolate for 14 days in Yellowknife, Inuvik, Hay River or Fort Smith, “with few exceptions.”

“The [N.W.T. government] will continue to review its actions and arrangements for responding to the pandemic to ensure they remain effective and are aligned with the current circumstances,” the release states.

Soucre:N.W.T. ends state of emergency

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

June 27th Miracle Collects Over Two Million Pounds Of Food – windsoriteDOTca News

Published

on


The June 27th Miracle food drive is being called a huge success.

Organizers have finished calculating a rough estimate of 2,020,500 lbs of food.

Right now these pallets are spanned across multiple sites including the WFCU Arena (Windsor), Westport Marina (Lasalle), Atlas Tube Centre (Lakeshore), Tecumseh Arena, Libro Centre and (Amherstburg) and in the process of being sorted and distributed to food banks.

Article Continues Below Local Sponsor Message

June Muir, President and CEO of the Windsor Essex Food Bank Association and the Unemployed Help Centre is thrilled with what the June 27th Miracle did for the community. “I want to make sure everyone knows what they did on June 27th is going to help our community in Windsor and Essex County” Muir says.  “Without that help we don’t know what we’d do because some of our fundraisers aren’t going to happen this year, so what’s happened truly is a miracle.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending