Connect with us

Health

Potential COVID-19 Exposures At Local Businesses – country94.ca

Published

 on


A number of potential public exposures to COVID-19 have been reported at Saint John-area businesses in recent days.

Public Health has reported some of the potential exposures while other businesses have taken to social media to make customers aware.

Below is a list of publicly-known potential exposures, listed by the date they were first reported.

November 21:

Dooly’s Parkway Mall in Saint John – the afternoon of Nov. 17.

Fish and Brews Pub, 800 Fairville Boulevard in Saint John – the evening of Nov. 14.

Let’s Hummus, 44 Water Street in Saint John – between 2 and 3 a.m. on Nov. 14.

Vito’s, 324 Rothesay Avenue in Saint John – between 4 and 8 p.m. on Nov. 17.

Woodchucks Axe Throwing, 125 Prince William Street in Saint John – sometime on Nov. 18.

November 20:

Big Tide Brewing Company, 47 Princess Street in Saint John – possible exposure between 12:30 and 2 p.m. on Nov. 16. (Reported by Public Health)

Java Moose, 84 Prince William Street in Saint John – possible exposure between 2 and 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 16. (Reported by Public Health)

Water Street Dinner Theater – evening of Nov. 13.

November 19:

Five and Dime Bar, 34 Grannan Street in Saint John – between 12:30 and 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 14. (Reported by Public Health)

Freddie’s Pizza, 27 Charlotte Street in Saint John – between 2:30 and 3 a.m. on Nov. 14. (Reported by Public Health)

Rocky’s Sports Bar, 7 Market Square in Saint John – possible exposure between 10:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 13 and between 10:30 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 14. (Reported by Public Health)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

2 more New Brunswick schools confirm cases of COVID-19 – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Two more schools in New Brunswick have confirmed positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to four since last week, and nine since the school year began.

Education Minister Dominic Cardy said administrators at Montgomery Street School in Fredericton and Centreville Community School, north of Hartland, issued notices to parents over the weekend.

The two schools are now working with New Brunswick Public Health to identify students and school personnel who might have been exposed to the virus.

Over the weekend, one case of COVID-19 was confirmed at Simonds High School in Saint John and another at Hampton Middle School. Harbour View High School in Saint John confirmed a possible exposure to the illness.

Students in Grade 7 at Hampton Middle School will start virtual learning this week

But public schools won’t close as they did this past spring, when COVID-19 first made an appearance in New Brunswick, Cardy told Information Morning Fredericton. Early in the pandemic, not as much was known about the coronavirus, but things are different now and such a broad shutdown of schools isn’t considered necessary.

“The goal could never be to have everything completely shut down indefinitely,” Cardy said. 

“It was always to be as safe as possible and operating as close to normally as possible.”

Cardy said there is a single COVID-19 contact at Montgomery Street School, and everyone in the school has been notified. Letters to parents have also been sent out.

“That person is being isolated. We don’t believe there’s a further risk at this time.” 

‘Don’t panic’ 

Cardy said he is trying to be as transparent as possible. And if parents haven’t received any emails from their child’s school or district, that’s a good sign.

“When you hear from Public Health … don’t panic. Just listen to what they have to say. And follow the steps.”

Cardy made it clear that  schools will move to online learning right away if there are any risks to students or if the number of cases increases. 

He said his department has been working in conjunction with Public Health, which is ” constantly looking at the data” related to COVID-19.

“We’ll be ready to move on a moment’s notice if they give us the word that we have to make a shift.”

In July, Cardy announced all high school students in New Brunswick would have to use their own electronic devices. A $7 million subsidy program to help low- and middle-income families buy computers was launched July 31. 

But Cardy also said there could be challenges with the new online system.

“Anything brand new … I’m sure there will be issues with it.”

COVID-19 in schools

Cardy said he will continue working with districts and the New Brunswick Teachers’ Union and representatives of other workers in the school system.

“Making sure those communication lines are working as smoothly as possible,” he said.

“You’ve got a lot of moving pieces here.”

More cases of COVID-19

New Brunswick officials announced six new cases of COVID-19 in the province Sunday.

The new cases bring the total of active infections in the province to 77. One person is in hospital related to the virus.

That announcement follows a significant rise in the Moncton and Saint John regions, including a single-day high for the province on Saturday when 23 cases were reported.

The Moncton and Saint John regions returned to tighter restrictions under the orange phase last week.

“We are not through COVID yet,” he said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Makeshift graveyard constructed outside of Alberta health minister's office – CTV Toronto

Published

 on


CALGARY —
Rows of cardboard grave markers lined the grass across the street from Health Minister Tyler Shandro’s office in southwest Calgary Monday morning.

The signs, erected in the grass on the west side of Macleod Trail, criticized the province’s response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and placed blame on the provincial government for the recent spike in confirmed cases.

The individual or group responsible for the makeshift graveyard has not been identified.

The province announced 1,584 new cases of COVID-19 Sunday, continuing Alberta’s four-day streak of establishing record highs for new case counts. Alberta’s new case count was the most amongst all provinces.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Alberta reports new one-day record Sunday with 1,584 new COVID-19 cases – Strathroy Age Dispatch

Published

 on


Getty Images

As Albertarecorded a newrecord for single-day COVID-19 cases, the fifth one in a week, Albertans are left wondering what next steps to take when it comes to new restrictions.

On Sunday, the province reported 1,584 new cases of COVID-19 with 4,309 active cases in the city of Edmonton, a rate of 421.8 per 100,000 people.

During a Thursday emergency advisory committee meeting, Mayor Don Iveson asked Dr. Michael Zakhary what the trigger points would be for stronger COVID-19 measures to be brought in.

Zakhary, a medical officer of health for the Edmonton Zone, said that’s a policy decision for Alberta Health.

“At the moment we haven’t had information from Alberta Health about the triggers for the next action,” he said.

Not having detailed information on when and how new restrictions may come down is frustrating, said Coun. Andrew Knack in an interview Sunday.

He said at the beginning of the pandemic it was easier for the community to come together when Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, and Premier Jason Kenney explained the scope and scale of the province’s COVID-19 situation with modelling in April.

“To date, we don’t even have new modelling based on everything we’ve learned over the last eight months,” Knack said.

“So that’s challenging for everyone, including folks in municipal government, to know what the right actions are to help minimize the impact to people’s health as well as to our economy.”

The city could help if it had information on triggers for new restrictions as well as when they might loosen.

“We could aid in the decisions, we could make adjustments to our own civic facilities to help make sure we’re being clear to Edmontonians what needs to be done and what shouldn’t be done and what should be done,” Knack said.

One area that could be helpful with the city’s COVID-19 response, Coun. Ben Henderson said, is if the city’s peace officers were given the power to once again enforce restrictions in addition to police.

“There’s a whole bunch of areas where we could probably be more effective for our population,” Henderson said. “The province is one of the very few provinces that hasn’t done a mask bylaw, but has been very supportive of us doing ours, so there’s a kind of mixed signal there as well.”

Hinshaw said Friday she is preparing new recommendations for the province to consider.

“No decisions have yet been made, but of course we are watching very closely and considering what may need to be done if our numbers do not go down,” she said.

As of Sunday, there were 12,195 active cases across the province and 310 people hospitalized, including 60 in intensive care units. There were no new deaths.

In the County of Vermilion River there were 7 active cases as of Monday morning. That’s a rate of 54.2 active cases per 100,000. In the County of St. Paul there are 20 cases as of Monday morning–a rate of 121.3 active cases per 100,000.

The most recent restrictions impacting group sports, fitness, amateur arts performances, and late-night restaurant liquor sales were implemented on Nov. 13. They are expected to be in effect until Friday.

NDP Opposition Leader Rachel Notley is seeking an emergency debate on Monday afternoon in light of the record number of COVID-19 cases and the lack of information and lack of action from Kenney.

“This is the greatest public health threat we have faced in our lives,” said Notley in a news release. “When faced with great challenges, Albertans are always willing to roll up their sleeves and work together, but to do so they need leadership and a road map. So far, the premier has provided neither.

“We have seen premiers across the country address the public in recent days and provide modelling and other information that makes it clear just how big of a threat COVID-19 is. In Alberta, we’ve seen nothing of the sort.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending