Connect with us

Business

Proposed class-action lawsuit against LifeLabs launched in B.C. Supreme Court – CBC.ca

Published

 on


A B.C. man is attempting to launch a class-action lawsuit against Canadian Laboratory testing company, LifeLabs, one day after it announced a large cyberattack on its systems affecting the private information of 15 million Canadians.

Kennet Morrison, a retired Vancouver computer technician, filed a notice of civil claim against LifeLabs Wednesday in the Supreme Court of British Columbia, alleging the company breached its contract with Morrison to keep his private information safe.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Morrison, the main plaintiff, is opening up the lawsuit as a proposed class-action against the company.

The document says it is open to any B.C. resident who has been a customer of LifeLabs before Dec. 17, 2019.

Protecting personal information was a key term of the company’s contract, the lawsuit says.

It alleges LifeLabs knew of the risk of a data breach and “failed to implement sufficiently strong encryption and security safeguards” to prevent it from being subject to unauthorized access.

“Life Labs failed to treat privacy and security as its top priorities,” the documents say. “Life Labs was reckless in its conduct amounting to the storage breach.”

Because of this alleged recklessness, the lawsuit claims one or more cyber criminals was able to remotely access and seize personal information.

“Life Labs had its own privacy policies and security measures to which it failed to sufficiently adhere,” says the document.

Morrison’s suit says he has suffered an invasion of his privacy that has left him exposed to identify theft, phishing, extortion and further disclosure of his sensitive medical information.

He is seeking general and punitive damages, as well as pre- and post-judgment interest.

As part of the relief, the document requests the lawsuit be certified by the courts as a class action.

CBC News has reached out to LifeLabs for comment.

The company has yet to file an official response in the courts.
 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Toronto ready to administer COVID-19 vaccines 24/7 as long as supply allows – Global News

Published

 on


Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

More than 197000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in Toronto so far – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Almost 200,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered in Toronto, and more shots are being injected in the arms of residents in clinics this weekend.

In a news release, the city said a number of hospitals and community healthcare centres are operating 15 clinics on Saturday and Sunday to vaccinate those in Phase 1 priority groups, including residents aged 80 years and older, who have a confirmed appointment.

“The city of Toronto, Toronto Public Health, hospitals and community healthcare centres are all working together to get Torontonians vaccinated as quickly as possible. Getting vaccinated protects individuals, their close contacts and the community,” the release stated.

The city said 197,155 vaccine doses have been administered so far.

Earlier this week, Toronto officials responded to criticism that the city is falling behind other regions in vaccinating people over the age of 80.

The city said it had administered COVID-19 vaccines to seniors in hospitals and congregate settings, but wider availability of vaccines for residents above the age of 80 will only occur when supply improves, and the provincial booking system launches on March 15.

The province released an update on its vaccination plan on Friday, announcing who will be prioritized in the second phase of its rollout set to run from April to July.

On the same day, Health Canada authorized the country’s fourth COVID-19 vaccine, the single-dose Johnson and Johnson shot.

Retired general Rick Hillier, the head of the province’s vaccine task force, said there had been a “seismic shift” in the province’s vaccination rollout following the approval of two more vaccines, supply ramping up, and new guidance on the extension of interval between two doses.

“I want to say by the first day of summer we want to have, vaccine supply dependent, we want to have a first needle in the arms of every person in Ontario who is eligible for the vaccine and wants to get,” he said during a news conference on Friday.

More than 860,000 doses have been administered and over 270,000 people have been fully vaccinated in Ontario so far.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

COVID-19 Bulletin #364 – news.gov.mb.ca

Published

 on


Need More Info?

Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.

Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.

Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-290-5374.

Twitter Feed

Quick Links

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending