A provincial inspection of a Hamilton retirement home that was emptied following a severe outbreak of COVID-19 found it didn’t follow infection prevention and control measures and failed to protect residents from neglect.
The Rosslyn Retirement Residence will not be able to bring any residents back until it addresses those issues and hires a regulated health professional (RHP) to protect those living there from the virus.
Sixty-three people who were living at the home tested positive for COVID-19 as of Tuesday, along with 20 staff members. Two residents have died.
The Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA), which oversees retirement homes in Ontario, issued two orders to the home on May 15.
That’s the same day paramedics, hospital staff and the home began a mass-transfer or residents. Over the next eight hours the last 52 people who were at the Rosslyn were taken out and brought to hospital.
“RHRA inspected the home last week and found that the home did not follow certain sections of the Retirement Homes Act pertaining to infection prevention and control and failure to protect residents from neglect,” stated senior advisor Farrah Bourre in an email to CBC.
The Rosslyn has not responded to repeated calls and emails from CBC News asking questions about the situation there.
The outbreak at the home was first declared on May 10 when a resident tested positive, according to Winnie Doyle, vice president of clinical operations at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton. By the 15th 49 residents had been diagnosed with COVID-19.
“It was a very dynamic, high-risk environment by Friday,” she explained.
Officials have stated the home was struggling with staffing as employees contracted the virus and the level of care residents required continued to rise.
On Friday the home, along with health officials, decided to clear out its residents.
But, without a master list of residents and no regular staff members working, one man was missed during the transfer and left alone in his room for nearly a day before family members alerted officials.
Doyle described the fact a resident was left without care for hours as a “mistake” that left St. Joe’s staff who helped empty the home “extremely distraught.”
She added part of the confusion that led to the man being missed was because the home told St. Joe’s he had already been transferred to hospital earlier in the week.
Unclear when residents could return
Hamilton’s public health unit has issued orders of its own to the Rosslyn.
The first followed an inspection on April 15 and cited two specific issues: a lack of a sufficiently detailed outbreak response plan and a lack of a written process for in-home isolation of ill residents and/or physical distancing.
Public health said the home made changes to bring it into compliance. However, as residents started to test positive they carried out a second inspection on May 12, this time identifying six issues, including several that were supposed to be addressed in the original order.
“They did not appear to be effectively monitoring the residents in terms of the illness,” said Dr. Elizabeth Richardson, Hamilton’s medical officer of health, during a media update Tuesday.
“At this point we do not know when the residents may be able to go back to this facility.”
The compliance order from the RHRA states: “Residents that were not residing at the Home as of May 16, 2020 are not permitted to return to the Home, until the Retained RHP has approved their return.”
The Rosslyn has also been ordered to ensure it has adequate staff to provide the necessary care for residents.
Bourre noted the RHRA is in “daily communication” with the home’s owners along with Hamilton public health to ensure the Rosslyn abides by its orders before any residents are allowed to return.
“We continue to monitor the situation and are working with community partners to achieve this,” she wrote, adding the pandemic is an “unprecedented time for everyone, but especially for seniors and their loved ones.”
In a situation where a home doesn’t follow orders, the RHRA has the ability to use enforcement actions including fines, compliance or management orders and revoking a licence “as a last resort,” Bourre added.
New hours for London, Ont.’s Oakridge Arena COVID-19 assessment centre effective Monday – Global News
The coronavirus assessment centre at Oakridge Arena in London, Ont., is changing its hours starting Monday, June 8.
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) announced Friday the centre’s new hours will be 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Wait times for both assessment centres can be found on the MLHU’s Twitter page.
The MLHU says anyone may attend either assessment centre to be assessed for coronavirus testing.
Tests are conducted based on clinical criteria, but those who do not show symptoms of the novel coronavirus but are concerned they may have been exposed to a positive case or believe they may already be ill will be tested, the health unit stated.
There is no medication or treatment onsite at the COVID-19 assessment centres.
As of Saturday, the COVID-19 assessment centre at Oakridge Arena has swabbed 4,762 clients, and the centre at the Carling Heights Optimist Community Centre has swabbed 8,011, according to MLHU figures.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
COVID-19 outbreak over at Royal Rose Place in Welland – Newstalk 610 CKTB (iHeartRadio)
One of Niagara’s deadliest long-term care home COVID-19 outbreaks has been declared over.
Niagara Regional Public Health confirming the outbreak at Royal Rose Place in Welland was declared over Friday morning.
The Royal Rose outbreak was one of the more serious outbreaks in Niagara, the other being Lundy Manor in Niagara Falls which is now facing a $20 million dollar lawsuit.
There have been 61 deaths in Niagara from COVID-19, the majority of those deaths stemming from the deadly long term care outbreaks.
An outbreak at the Greater Niagara General Hospital site was also declared over on Friday.
6 new cases of coronavirus, 5 more recoveries in London-Middlesex – Globalnews.ca
Six more people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in London-Middlesex, the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) reported Saturday.
This brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in the area to 555.
The number of recoveries increased by five on Saturday and now sits at 408 — about 73.5 per cent of cases.
The number of deaths remains at 56.
The MLHU says all six new cases are from London, where 518 of the region’s cases have been reported — about 93 per cent — while 20 cases have been reported in Strathroy-Caradoc and seven Middlesex Centre.
Elsewhere, four cases each have been reported in North Middlesex and Thames Centre, and one each has been reported in Lucan Biddulph and Southwest Middlesex.
The health unit says the COVID-19 assessment centre at the Carling Heights Optimist Community Centre has swabbed 8,011 clients, and the assessment centre at Oakridge Arena has swabbed 4,762 as of Saturday.
Health officials say the number of active outbreaks in London and Middlesex dropped to three on Friday after three other outbreaks were declared over the day before.
Outbreaks remain active at Kensington Village, Sisters of St. Joseph and Chelsey Park Retirement Community. They were declared April 3, April 17 and May 30, respectively.
At least 19 of the 24 outbreaks that have been declared locally during the pandemic have involved seniors’ facilities.
Local senior homes, which includes both long-term care and retirement homes, have seen 169 cases of COVID-19. This includes 104 residents and 65 staff. Additionally, 36 people have died.
In terms of total case count, the most severe of the three outbreaks has been at Sisters of St. Joseph, where at least 25 cases have been reported involving 13 residents and 12 staff members.
Of those, three residents and one staff member have died.
Coronavirus: Doug Ford demands ‘fair share’ of federal funding
At least 457 outbreaks have been reported at seniors’ homes across the province since mid-January, according to Public Health Ontario.
The number of hospitalized patients in the city declined by one to eight as of midnight Friday, according to the most recent update from London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC).
The figure is a combination of cases at University and Victoria hospitals. It’s not clear whether any patients are in intensive care.
LHSC announced Friday that it would stop releasing an updated number of positive cases among staff members unless the tally increased by five or greater. The organization said it was to protect staff privacy.
In its update on Wednesday, LHSC said there had been at least 42 staff cases reported during the pandemic.
At least 18 staff members with St. Joseph’s Health Care have tested positive. It’s not clear how many cases remain active.
At least 410 hospital workers across Ontario have tested positive for the virus since mid-January, while 393 residents/patients have also been infected, according to Public Health Ontario.
Provincially, Ontario reported 455 new cases of the novel coronavirus Saturday morning, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 30,202.
Of the new cases, 68 were included due to a reporting delay, meaning 387 cases have been confirmed since the last report.
The death toll rose by 35, bringing the total fatalities to 2,407.
A total of 23,947 cases are considered resolved, which makes up 79.3 per cent of all confirmed cases.
Nationally, Canada has reported 95,001 of COVID-19, 7,773 deaths and 52,932 recoveries.
Elgin and Oxford
No new cases or deaths were reported Saturday in the region, and the total number of recoveries rose by two.
Officials with Southwestern Public Health (SWPH) say there are now 68 recoveries, the total number of confirmed cases remains at 75, and no new deaths have been reported since April 22.
Officials say an outbreak at Secord Trails that has left at least eight staff sickened remains active as of Saturday. The long-term care facility in Ingersoll has seen an active outbreak since May 18.
Of the three cases that remain active in the region, one is in Oxford County in Tillsonburg, while two remain active in Elgin County, both in St. Thomas.
As of Saturday, 5,738 tests had been conducted in Elgin and Oxford counties, of which 580 remained pending results.
Coronavirus: Divide over safety at Ontario dental offices
Huron and Perth
As of Saturday, no new cases, deaths or recoveries were reported.
At least 54 cases have been reported in the region, of which 46 have recovered and five have died. No new deaths have been reported in the region since April 29.
The last new case to be reported by health officials was on Wednesday. Before that, a case was reported on Monday.
Three active cases remain in the region, including two in St. Marys — both reported earlier this week — and one in Stratford.
The number of active outbreaks remains at zero. A total of seven have been declared, involving 27 cases.
All but seven of those cases were reported at Greenwood Court in Stratford. An outbreak there saw six residents and 10 staff members test positive, and four people die. It was declared over May 11.
Twenty-six cases have been reported in Stratford, while 13 have been reported in Huron County and 11 in Perth County.
Four cases have been in St. Marys, including the region’s first two.
The health unit said 3,829 tests had been administered in Huron and Perth as of Friday. Of those, 124 were awaiting test results.
Sarnia and Lambton
Six more people have recovered from the novel coronavirus and no new cases or deaths were reported as of late Friday, according to Lambton Public Health (LPH).
This brings the total number of recoveries to 223. The total number of confirmed cases remains at 267 and the death count at 24.
LPH says one outbreak remains active — at Vision Nursing Home in Sarnia, where 26 residents and 25 staff members have tested positive for the virus. Nine residents have since died.
Still-positive residents from the home have been moved to Bluewater Health hospital to keep the outbreak from spreading.
Coronavirus outbreak: WHO recommends wearing non-medical masks in public
The hospital says it’s treating 11 COVID-19 patients as of Saturday, one fewer than the day before, along with 21 who are suspected positive or are awaiting tests, five fewer than the day before.
According to the health unit, 40 per cent of all COVID-19 cases in the county have been outbreak-related and 35 per cent are related to close contact.
As of late Friday, LPH said 7,861 test results had been received by health officials. It’s not clear how many cases are still pending.
— With files from Global News’ Ryan Rocca and Matthew Trevithick
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Oppo confirms a smart TV is on the roadmap as it celebrates 1 year of 5G in China – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com
An Asteroid Bigger Than The Empire State Building Poses ‘No Danger’ On Saturday Night, Says NASA – Forbes
Katai Leaves Galaxy After Wife’s Racial Social Media Posts… – Mount Royal Soccer
- Health24 hours ago
Long-term care company fires executive after comments made during meeting – Toronto Sun
- Tech18 hours ago
Customers are reporting a bug in their iPhone 11's display – Pocketnow
- Tech20 hours ago
Google is facing a class action lawsuit because it's incognito mode still allows websites to track your data – Mashable SE Asia
- Media24 hours ago
Former UBC basketball assistant coach criticized for social media activity – The Province
- Politics23 hours ago
Trudeau takes a knee at anti-racism protest on Parliament Hill – CBC.ca
- Sports7 hours ago
Donald Trump says Drew Brees shouldn't have backed off flag comments – CBC.ca
- Tech19 hours ago
Linus apologizes to Epic boss over PlayStation 5 SSD remarks – TweakTown
- Sports18 hours ago
Saints’ Drew Brees responds to Trump: It was ‘never’ about the flag – Sportsnet.ca