" >Quarantined evacuees wrote a petition asking to be tested for coronavirus | Canada News Media
Connect with us

Health

Quarantined evacuees wrote a petition asking to be tested for coronavirus

Published

on

The CDC has already said no to the first request — the evacuees wanted to be tested for the novel coronavirus.
 CDC director: Novel coronavirus 'is probably with us beyond this season, beyond this year'
The evacuees arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in San Diego last week, fleeing the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. Already, two of the evacuees have been diagnosed with the virus and sent into isolation at a nearby hospital.
Scared that more people might be diagnosed, the marine  a petition among themselves thanking the CDC for their support but also requesting the five changes.
According to one evacuee who asked not to be named, about a third of those quarantined at Miramar have signed the petition. NBC-San Diego was the first to report the existence of the petition.
“We believe testing everyone at the facility would help identify potential suspects as early as possible, so the appropriate treatment could be put in place,” according to the petition, which is written in both Chinese and English.
Evacuees from Wuhan, China, wrote a petition requesting they be tested for the novel coronavirus.Evacuees from Wuhan, China, wrote a petition requesting they be tested for the novel coronavirus.
While the CDC is monitoring the evacuees’ health with twice-daily checks for symptoms such as fever and cough, the agency is not testing them for the virus.
The 15th US case of coronavirus is an evacuee at an Air Force base in TexasThe 15th US case of coronavirus is an evacuee at an Air Force base in Texas
According to a CDC official, the test for the coronavirus often results in a false negative if given too early, when the person is infected but not yet showing symptoms.
“Testing someone who is asymptomatic may not yield a true result if an infection has not yet been fully established. A false negative could provide a false sense of security,” according to a statement Thursday by Dr. Christopher Braden, a CDC official who is with the evacuees at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
The CDC says Braden has explained the issue of false negatives to the evacuees. However, in the petition, the evacuees had a different impression of what the CDC was saying.
“[We] understand CDC’s current working assumption is the virus won’t spread until symptoms develop,” according to the petition.
What it means to be under a federal quarantineWhat it means to be under a federal quarantine
In his statement to CNN, Braden said asymptomatic transmission can happen.
While a federal quarantine doesn’t exactly resemble a four-star hotel, people are entitled to food, water, accommodations and medical treatment, and are free to communicate with family and friends, James Hodge, director at the Center for Public Health Law and Policy at Arizona State University, previously told CNN. But they can’t leave their specified location until federal authorities say so.
In their petition, the evacuees had four other requests: Prevention of gatherings of large numbers of people in small, enclosed environments; delivery of personal protective gear to evacuees, including masks and sanitizing alcohol for room disinfection; provision of hand sanitizer at the front desk and playground; and disinfection two to three times a day of public areas, “including playground, laundry room, door knobs, etc.”
“We believe these are critical measures towards mitigating the potential risk of spreading the virus at Miramar center, and are proactive steps to protect the health of this group and the safety of the American people,” the petition states.
CDC officials said they’re listening to the evacuees’ concerns.
“CDC has been working with partner agencies to address the concerns noted by the evacuee. Several changes have been made to many of the procedures to address these concerns and we are doing what we can to make everyone as comfortable as possible,” CDC spokesperson Benjamin Haynes said in an email. “They have been gracious and we thank them for their cooperation.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

B.C.'s new coronavirus case is woman who recently returned from Iran – CTV News

Published

on


VANCOUVER —
Another person in British Columbia has tested positive for the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19, provincial health officials announced Thursday.

The case is a “presumptive positive” and a sample has been sent to the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg for confirmation.

Minister of Health Adrian Dix and Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced the case to reporters at the provincial legislature a day earlier than their regularly scheduled update on the virus.

The case is a woman in her 30s who resides in the Fraser Health region, Henry said. The woman recently returned from travel to Iran and has a milder form of the disease, Henry said.

The province’s top doctor said Fraser Health has already begun investigating the woman’s close contacts and placed a number of the people she’s been in close proximity to in isolation.

“We’ll be doing a detailed investigation of her travel, when her symptoms started, and determine whether we need to investigate or notify people who were on the aircraft she returned in,” Henry said.

The new case brings the total number recorded in British Columbia to six. On Wednesday, the province announced that the first person in B.C. to contract the virus had recovered.

Henry said the provincial government still believes the risk to British Columbians from the COVID-19 is low.

“I think this reflects that we have a very robust system for picking up people who may have this virus,” Henry said. “This one, clearly, is a bit unusual in that the travel to Iran is something new.”

Iran recently began reporting cases of the virus, Henry said. She said provincial health officials will be working with Canadian and international health organizations to determine where the woman contracted the virus.  

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

WHO says no time for complacency as China coronavirus cases fall – Reuters

Published

on


GENEVA/LONDON (Reuters) – A continued decline in the number of new cases of coronavirus infections in China is encouraging, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday, while warning that infections outside the country could still spread.

FILE PHOTO: Director-General of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, attends a news conference on the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Geneva, Switzerland February 11, 2020. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

“We are encouraged by this trend but this is no time for complacency,” the WHO’s director-general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, told a briefing in Geneva.

To date, 25 other countries have reported 1,076 cases to WHO, including five in the latest affected, Iran, he said.

Tedros noted that the total was very low compared with nearly 75,000 inside China, but added: “That may not stay the same for long”.

The mayor of Daegu, South Korea’s fourth-largest city, urged residents to stay indoors after a spike in infections linked to a church congregation.

The latest cases reported by South Korea are from “several distinct clusters”, Oliver Morgan, the WHO’s director of health emergency information and risk assessment, told the briefing.

“So although the number seems quite high, they are mostly linked to known existing outbreaks,” Morgan said.

“That doesn’t signal a particular change in global epidemiology but it does signal that the Korean authorities are following up very closely, very vigorously, on all the new cases and those outbreaks that they have identified.”

Tedros, noting that South Korean authorities have reported a total of 104 confirmed cases, including 22 on Thursday, said: “With measures they can take, which is proportionate to the public health risk they have, I think the number of cases are really manageable.”

He also said that he had contacted 12 leading manufacturers of protective equipment – such as masks, goggles and gowns – to ensure that health workers received supplies first, adding that he had received a “positive signal”.

Chen Xu, China’s ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, said he had discussed such medical shortages with Tedros. “Indeed we need definitely masks and protection units and also respiratory machines,” Chen told a separate news conference.

A WHO-led international mission now in China – which Chen described as a “joint venture” – was visiting several provinces and a stop in the outbreak’s epicenter, Wuhan, a city in Hubei province, was “under consideration”, he said.

“If the experts visit other provinces without going to Wuhan they couldn’t have the first-hand knowledge. While in the meantime, it is really risky to go to Wuhan because of the spread of the virus and because of the quarantine needed afterwards,” Chen said. “I think the picture will be very much clearer in the days to come.”

Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva and Kate Kelland in London; Editing by Mark Heinrich and Jonathan Oatis

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coquitlam grandmother among Tri-City group to be evacuated from coronavirus cruise ship – The Tri-City News

Published

on


A group of Tri-City residents are among the 250 Canadians aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which has spent two weeks under quarantine in Japan following the novel coronavirus outbreak.

Margaret Tong, an 85-year-old Coquitlam resident, is one of the travellers who will be returning to Canada Friday on a government-chartered flight but her trip is still far from over. The plane is expected to land in Cornwall, Ont., where passengers will be taken to a hotel and kept in isolation for another 14 days.

article continues below

“Thanks for your prayers and good wishes,” Tong said in a WhatsApp message to her son, Brian Tong, Wednesday night. “Passed the Canadian medical screening. Packing to disembark tonight at 9 p.m. Will contact you upon arrival at Cornwall Ontario.”

In an interview with The Tri-City News, Brian Tong said his mom left Vancouver Jan. 18 and was supposed to be home within two weeks. He said information was limited but thankfully his mother had the internet and was able to communicate with him throughout the ordeal.

“The [Japanese] government was very slow in decision making on what to do,” he said, noting his mother was traveling with a group of people from the area, “so it was many days of uncertainty while the head count of the infected kept rising.”

The good news is that Margaret Tong has been tested and does not appear to have been affected by the virus, her son said. Thermometers were handed out on the ship and anyone who registered a temperature of 37.5 C or higher was asked to go to the medical centre, he said.

“She was always below 36.5,” he said.

Despite the upheaval, Brian Tong added that he “wasn’t too worried” about his mother, who is active, works out regularly at Coquitlam’s City Centre Aquatic Complex and has a strong immune system.

“Of the people affected, there have been very few fatalities,” Brian Tong told The Tri-City News, adding, “My mother goes to the gym six times a week.”

His bigger concern is getting his mom her medication, which she was running short of during the quarantine period.

“I told her that the Japanese government is responsible for them and they have to top up whoever needs medication,” he said. “They were able to do that.”

The chartered Canadian flight was expected to take off from Japan at 3:30 a.m local time and land at CFB Trenton at around 1:30 a.m. EST Friday.

There, further screening will be conducted and another two-week quarantine will be imposed. But federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu said there is a chance those who test negative for the virus and show no signs of symptoms may be released from quarantine early under the discretion of Canada’s top public-health doctor.

Forty-seven of the 250 Canadians will not be on the flight, after testing positive for the virus. They will continue their treatment in Japan.

Two people have died aboard the ship; a man and a woman, both from Japan and in their 80s, were believed to have been infected before the quarantine began, according to Japanese health officials.

– with files from the Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending