Remote work adds wrinkle to potential federal strike action
Tens of thousands of Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) workers will be navigating “uncharted” territory if they strike Wednesday, especially for those who currently work remotely, observers say.
More than 120,000 employees could walk off the job across Canada if a deal isn’t reached with the federal government by 9 p.m. ET Tuesday, according to PSAC.
Two PSAC bargaining groups representing more than 155,000 federal public servants moved into legal strike positions last week after voting in favour of a strike mandate. According to a union update on Monday, roughly 34,000 (or 20 per cent) are seen as essential and would keep working.
PSAC said it’s requiring its members — including remote workers — to show up in person to picket locations across the country to qualify for strike pay and avoid “fines and suspension of membership privileges.”
“Remote work or telework allows an employee to work from home rather than from a specific worksite but does not exclude them from the bargaining unit,” the PSAC website reads.
It poses a unique challenge for the many members who were hired in the middle of the pandemic and, with no physical office to go to, have only ever worked from home — especially those in rural locations.
“The ability of employees to strike when they actually don’t have an office to work in … that’s uncharted territory,” said Rich Appiah, an employment and labour lawyer based in Toronto.
“It’s a novel situation, especially given the pandemic and the very fast rise of remote work.”
‘It isn’t 1991. It’s 2023’
A lot has changed since the first time members of the core public service walked off the job in 1991, which saw thousands of workers across the country form picket lines to physically block people from entering regional offices.
At that time, remote work was unheard of.
“It isn’t 1991. It’s 2023, and I think this is new territory for the employer and it’s new territory for the unions,” said Michael Wernick, who as a former clerk of the Privy Council led the federal public service.
In 2004, 100,000 workers from dozens of government departments, including firefighters, parole officers and coast guard workers, along with 25,000 members of the Canada Revenue Agency went on strike.
PSAC said members will be able to report to the picket line nearest to them, regardless if it’s their usual work location or region.
Members can use an app on the union’s website to locate a picket line, officials said.
The union has made an effort to make picket lines as accessible as possible, but for those who are especially far away, considerations would be made on a case-by-case basis, said PSAC’s regional executive vice-president in the National Capital Region.
“We expect and trust that our members are going to be there for each other at the picket line just as those members are going to trust one another that they’re in this fight together,” said Alex Silas.
Silas said members have been sent a barcode they can use to sign in at any picket location and have their four hours of daily service registered.
However, with about 60 per cent of the federal public service outside of the capital region, “keeping track of all that on a day-to-day basis is going to be a major logistical challenge for both sides,” Wernick said.
Regardless of how it will work, he said a strike “unquestionably will be messy and disruptive and inconvenient.”
Remaining residents urged to flee Tumbler Ridge immediately as crews continue to fight wildfire near townsite
Crews continue to fight the West Kiskatinaw fire in northern B.C. that moved closer to the town of Tumbler Ridge on Friday, burning about three kilometres from the townsite, according to the district.
But winds are expected to change directions Saturday, according to the B.C. Wildfire Services (BCWS), potentially pushing the fire away from Tumbler Ridge.
“We are certainly not in the clear at this point, but we are leaning toward a little bit of cautious optimism,” said Karley Desrosiers with the BCWS on Friday afternoon.
The town of about 2,400 people went on evacuation order Thursday evening, two days after the wildfire was discovered.
As of Friday evening, 90 per cent of the town had left, officials say, urging those who remain to flee immediately and register online or at reception centres in Chetwynd, Dawson Creek, and Fort St. John, which will open 10 a.m. Saturday.
Tumbler Ridge fire Chief Dustin Curry says about 150 people remained on Friday, some of them emergency personnel, but others residents who refuse to comply with the order to leave.
Those who need hotel accommodation are being asked to go to Fort St. John, 170 kilometres north of Tumbler Ridge.
Vancouver Island highway shut down indefinitely
On Vancouver Island, the Cameron Bluffs wildfire continues to burn near Port Alberni. The wildfire made its way to Highway 4, prompting the closure of the major east-west route on Tuesday.
It’s now closed indefinitely after officials determined that the fire was causing instability in the incline above the highway, which has caused debris such as uprooted trees and rocks.
“As we approach this weekend and recognizing that Highway 4 will continue to be closed, we just ask people to really consider whether or not they can go or whether or not they can wait,” said Janelle Staite, deputy regional director with the province’s Ministry of Transportation.
The province announced a detour on Wednesday, but cautioned that it should only used for essential travel. The route extends travel time by hours and features rough roads and some single-lane bridges.
The logging-road detour, closed for eight hours Friday as crews worked to extricate a vehicle that rolled into a lake along the route, re-opened at 9 p.m. that evening.
Drought season ahead
While a chance of rain is in the forecast for Saturday, Tumbler Ridge is in an area experiencing drought conditions.
The hottest May on record resulted in a rapid snowmelt and record-low provincial snow levels in most B.C. mountains, according to the Snow Survey and Water Supply Bulletin.
The bulletin states drought risk has been exacerbated by the lingering effects of the 2022 drought and the high likelihood of above average summer temperatures.
“This is the earliest snowmelt on record ever … Prolonged drought could have major impacts on water availability, on fish and streams and other ecosystems,” said Jonathan Boyd, a hydrologist with the River Forecast Centre.
Forecasts in the Tumbler Ridge region show a chance of rain on Saturday, with temperatures expected to reach 26 C on Sunday and Monday.
Later in the week, temperatures are expected to cool to 17 C with the possibility of rain showers.
Check the CBC News Climate Dashboard for live updates on wildfire smoke and active fires across the country. Set your location for information on air quality and to find out how today’s temperatures compare to historical trends.
'High risk of province-wide drought' this summer, authorities warn – CBC.ca
Much of B.C. could face a long, significant drought this summer, according to provincial forecasters.
The warning is particularly worrying to those who depend on water for their livelihoods, such as cattle ranchers and the agricultural sector.
“What we’ve seen now from the past month of heat is that the high-elevation snow is rapidly depleting,” said Jonathan Boyd, a hydrologist with B.C.’s River Forecast Centre. “We’re on pace to be the earliest snow-free that the province has recorded.
“We’ve had just a phenomenal melt so far, and where it’s a little bit scary is … we’re moving into this year in a really precarious position.”
The most recent B.C. Snow Survey and Water Supply Bulletin, released Thursday based on June 1 data, warned of “long-term, significant drought” unless there is substantial and sustained rainfall over the coming months.
According to provincial data, current snow levels are 29 per cent of what’s normal for this time of year. That’s down from 66 per cent just two weeks ago, indicating a very fast melt.
The possibility of a severe drought comes after high-temperature records for May were smashed in multiple communities across the province, causing faster and earlier snow melt than usual.
While raging wildfires are top-of-mind for many in the province now, a prolonged drought could worsen the economic toll of this year’s extreme hot and dry weather.
‘We are not going to starve our animals’
Previous droughts have hit the province’s agriculture sector particularly hard, with many ranchers forced to cull many of their cattle because of food shortages going into winter.
“It’s a little bit bleak out there right now as we look through the cracked crystal ball we’ve got,” said Kevin Boon, general manager of the B.C. Cattlemen’s Association, which represents ranchers. “And we don’t know what’s coming, but it’s enough that we’re concerned.”
He said there are basically two main resources ranchers need to support their herds: grass for food, and water.
“If we don’t get the rain to grow the grass, we have no choice but to reduce the amount of cattle we have,” he told CBC News. “We are not going to starve our animals.
“Unfortunately when we see a widespread drought … often the only opportunity for that breeding stock is to send them to market and to be processed for food, and that is very challenging for our guys that have spent generations building herds.”
In 2021, the provincial and federal governments announced increased supports for the ranching sector, including a more than $100-million boost to the joint AgriRecovery fund, supports for cattle relocated by wildfires, and a Wildfire Emergency Feed Program to offer two weeks of support for commercial livestock businesses without feed.
“In our industry we’ve developed a very good infrastructure for water storage,” Boon, himself a long-time rancher, said. “Water storage is the key to everything out here right now, as we see climate change and climate adaptation — the more we store, the more we’re able to manage.”
The B.C. report released this week warns of “severe water availability concerns” for human use.
The drought concerns are especially for the province’s Northeast, North Peace, Vancouver Island, South Coast, Southern Interior, Kootenay, and Columbia regions.
“If we continue this for another three or four months, we could be in a situation come September or October like we were last year, but potentially even worse,” the River Forecast Centre’s Boyd said.
“It becomes an issue for fish and and other stream ecosystems — and an issue for water availability and just extreme, extreme low flows.”
Canada's visaless entry system crashes, leaving many travellers stranded – CBC.ca
The collapse of the website that processes Canada’s Electronic Travel Authorizations (eTAs) has caused missed flights, stress and financial pain to many travellers trying to reach Canada.
This week, Canada expanded the number of countries eligible for the eTA system, which replaces a full visa requirement for countries whose citizens are considered at lower risk of overstaying. Travellers from these countries pay a $7 Cdn fee and fill out an online application in a process that would normally take just minutes.
“This exciting development means that more individuals from around the world can now embark on unforgettable adventures, explore our diverse landscapes, reunite with family and friends, and immerse themselves in our vibrant culture without the hurdle of visa requirements,” said a statement from Sean Fraser, minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), which oversees the eTA system.
But the immediate effect of the change was the opposite.
A predictable surge, not predicted
IRCC appears not to have anticipated that adding 13 new countries with a combined population of over a quarter of a billion people would lead to a sudden surge in applications, but that’s what happened.
A spokesperson for IRCC said the biggest spike in applications came from the Philippines.
Servers were overwhelmed and the collapse of the system affected not only applicants from the 13 new countries, but from others that were already in the eTA system.
British citizen Amy Monerawela was scheduled to travel to Toronto with her family from London, England, but they were unable to get through the eTA site.
“We’ve had four people working on it since this morning,” she told CBC News on Friday evening from her London home. “And I mean sat around this table working on it from different devices, with different operating systems and different browsers. None of us are technophobes, we know what we’re doing, and we’ve not been able to crack it.”
“We got through to the payment page once, and when we went to put the card details in, it refreshed the page and kicked us out.”
Users reported several different problems with the site, including crashes, freezes and various error messages.
Cancellations come with heavy costs
Monerawela says that between their non-refundable Air Transat flights and a prepaid Airbnb, her family will lose thousands of dollars. They will also miss the chance to see family in Canada for the first time since the pandemic began.
One of their daughters is wheelchair bound and has other medical issues that make travel very difficult, she explained. The family had already paid to forward some medical items their daughter needs to Toronto.
Gabriel Contreras already missed his flight from Spain to visit a sister who lives in Canada. He was refused boarding on the first leg of the trip from Madrid to Amsterdam because of the eTA issue.
He said that even if the problem were fixed tomorrow, he and his travel partner would have to buy two new tickets for 970 euros each. The new flights would end up costing him more than $2,700 Cdn.
“That’s way too much for us,” said Contreras, who noted that since he only has one week off for travel, he’s decided to cancel his visit rather than rebook.
“The whole process has been jarring,” he told CBC News, saying his impression of IRCC was “really bad” and that “We’re a bit mad about the whole thing.”
Contreras says he will try to recover the lost money from travel insurance.
Lack of communication from IRCC, travellers say
Some travellers complained about the lack of communication from IRCC, noting that it had failed to respond to phone calls or tweets.
According to passengers, the eTA site stopped working properly on Thursday. IRCC posted a tweet around noon on Friday acknowledging the problem:
“Online service for eTA applications is currently intermittently available. Please try again later. We appreciate your patience. Travellers are still required to have the appropriate travel documents to travel to or transit through Canada.”
When is this going to be fixed? It makes so sense- people can’t enter Canada without paying this $7 yet its an issue with your server?
“How can this still be required if it’s impossible to access?” responded one frustrated traveller.
Other responses included: “My 17 year old brother’s eTA hasn’t come back and we fly in 9 hours ?!?!?!?!?! What do we do, such bad customer service – no response from your webform!”
“Because of this my friend was not allowed on his $1,000 USD flight,” wrote another. “We had to cancel all our other flights and plans in Canada, costing us another $500 USD. The Canadian embassy said the online application is the only way. You should have a back-up in case this happened.”
“The hardship you caused to travellers is immense,” wrote another person. “All the pain just to collect $7.”
Some of the passengers who missed flights said they weren’t even planning to stay in the country, but were merely transiting through Canada on layovers to other destinations such as Australia.
“Embarrassing that you even need a visa to transit through Canada,” one person complained.
‘I think they don’t care’
Some travellers also expressed annoyance to CBC News at IRCC’s unwillingness to waive the $7 fee, allow people to complete the forms on arrival, or offer any kind of alternative that would have saved their travel plans.
“I tried to contact them over the phone,” said Monerawela. “I got sent to a webpage. They haven’t tweeted back to anybody. I think they don’t care, that’s how it feels. They don’t care how this is affecting people’s lives, people’s finances.”
On Friday evening, some passengers attempting to obtain eTAs reported receiving a message in response suggesting repairs might not be coming for days.
A note explains that IRCC will “perform updates to its online system” from 12 am to 5:30 am on June 13.
“The eTA application will not be available at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience. To apply for an eTA, please return after 5:30 am on June 13.”
CBC News was seeking clarification from IRCC on the precise meaning of that note at the time of publication.
Sudburians invited to provide thoughts on city plan to attract investment – The Sudbury Star
World Economy Latest: Weak Trade Shows China’s Economy Is Struggling – Bloomberg
Mortgage Transfers Pick Up as a Way to Beat Rising Rates
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Economy15 hours ago
People in China are so worried about the economy they’re asking for divine intervention
News14 hours ago
No Pleasing Everyone
Media15 hours ago
How to Grow Your Business With Social Media
Economy16 hours ago
Are we in a recession right now? What economists have to say
News14 hours ago
Are Canadian wildfires under control? Here’s what to know.
News13 hours ago
Global help arrives as Quebec fights ‘historic’ fires
Media19 hours ago
Judge in FTX bankruptcy rejects media challenge, says customer names can remain secret
News19 hours ago
Air Canada issues: Passengers to be compensated