TORONTO — The BC Lions made another splash in the 2020 CFL Draft, this time it was in the second round.
Following a trade to get the first overall pick in the draft, Lions GM Ed Hervey decided to take a quarterback with his first pick of round two (15th overall), scooping up quarterback Nathan Rourke.
The last quarterback selected as high as Rourke (15th overall) was Jesse Palmer (also 15th overall) in 2001.
The REDBLACKS and the Argonauts both went for defensive help to kick things off in round two, selecting defensive lineman Michael Hoecht and linebacker Jack Cassar, respectively.
Marcel Desjardins and co. took Brown product Hoecht with the ninth overall pick. Hoecht was ranked ninth on CFL.ca’s Marshall Ferguson’s second and final mock draft. While Pinball Clemons and the Argos went with Carleton’s Cassar at 10.
With their first pick of the second round, the Stampeders selected receiver Trivel Pinto out of UBC 12th overall. Pinto was the second receiver to be selected in the draft, the first being Dejon Brissett, who was taken by the Argos with the second overall pick.
Next up, Edmonton went a little off the board, selecting defensive lineman Alain Pae from the University of Ottawa with their second round pick (13th overall).
Montreal’s first selection of the draft (14th overall) was defensive back Marc-Antoine Dequoy out of Montreal. Alouettes general manager Danny Macocia went with a DB who had a stellar 40-yard dash time of 4.35 at a pro day earlier this year.
The BC Lions then selected quarterback Nathan Rourke out of Ohio (15th overall).
Maciocia and co. were back on the clock with the 16th pick and selected Queen’s defensive lineman Cameron Lawson.
Hamilton then went with linebacker Bailey Feltmate from Adacia (17th overall).
Bombers GM Kyle Walters and co. selected defensive back Noah Hallett out of McMaster 18th overall. Hallett joins his brother, Nick, who is currently a member of the Blue Bombers.
The REDBLACKS selecting linebacker Dan Basambombo out of Laval with their last pick of the second round (19th overall), followed by the Argos selecting Samuel Acheampong from Wilfrid Laurier (20th overall).
Hall of Famer Unseld dead at 74 – TSN
Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Wes Unseld has died at the age of 74 after a bout of pneumonia, the Washington Wizards announced on Tuesday.
The Louisville native spent all 13 of his NBA seasons with the Baltimore/Washington Bullets franchise.
“He was the rock of our family – an extremely devoted patriarch who reveled in being with his wife, children, friends and teammates,” Unseld’s family said in a statement. “He was our hero and loved playing and working around the game of basketball for the cities of Baltimore and Washington D.C., cities he proudly wore on his chest for so many years.”
Unseld appeared in a Bullets/Wizards franchise record 984 games, averaging 10.8 points and 14.8 rebounds over his career.
Taken with the second pick of the 1968 NBA Draft out of Louisville, Unseld, a five-time All-Star, won both Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player in 1969.
“We all admired Wes as the pillar of this franchise for so long, but it was his work off the court that will truly leave an impactful legacy and live on through the many people he touched and influenced throughout his life of basketball and beyond,” Wizards owner Ted Leonsis said in a statement.
Upon his retirement, Unseld joined the organization’s front office, becoming the team’s vice-president in 1981. In 1988, Unseld became the Bullets head coach, resigning in 1994.
He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1988 and to the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2005.
Poll: Canadians OK with being benched as NHL playoff venue – Sports – Castanet.net
It looks like hockey fans will be able to cheer on their favourite NHL team this summer but Canadians have issued a collective shrug about whether the Stanley Cup is hoisted on their home ice.
Less than one-quarter of those who took part in a recent survey said it was very important that a Canadian city be host to some of the playoffs.
The web survey, conducted by polling firm Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies, found 47 per cent thought it wasn’t important that the puck drop in a Canadian arena.
The NHL plans to resume its 2019-20 season, brought to a halt in March by the COVID-19 pandemic, with games played in two hub cities.
Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto are among the 10 possible locations, but Canada’s mandatory 14-day quarantine for people entering the country remains in place and could scuttle the prospect of hockey north of the 49th parallel.
The survey was conducted May 29 to 31 among 1,536 Canadians and 1,002 Americans, 18 or older, who were randomly recruited from an online panel.
The hockey question, limited to Canadian respondents, revealed 24 per cent felt it was very important for a Canadian city to play host, while 20 per cent said it was somewhat important.
Thirty-five per cent said it was not important at all, 12 per cent felt it was somewhat unimportant and nine per cent didn’t know.
The fact the NHL plans to bar spectators from the stands during playoff games due to COVID-19 “probably cooled off a few respondents,” said Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque.
FIFA calls on organizers not to sanction in-game gestures supporting George Floyd – CBC.ca
FIFA urged soccer competition organizers on Monday to apply “common sense” and consider not sanctioning players for solidarity with George Floyd during matches.
The recognition of the “depth of sentiment” over Floyd’s death came in a rare statement by FIFA telling the global game to show flexibility and not enforce laws of soccer it helps to set.
Players used weekend games in Germany to reveal messages demanding justice for Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died after he pleaded for air as a white police officer pressed a knee on his neck in Minneapolis.
Germany’s soccer federation announced earlier Monday that it was assessing whether to sanction the players for breaking laws of the game that prohibit “any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images” on equipment.
WATCH | German league players show support for George Floyd:
“FIFA fully understands the depth of sentiment and concerns expressed by many footballers in light of the tragic circumstances of the George Floyd case,” the governing body said in a statement.
FIFA controls half of the eight votes on the International Football Association Board, with the other four held by England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. A law change in 2014 — proposed by England — led to players being banned from revealing personal statements on undergarments.
England winger Jadon Sancho was booked while playing for Borussia Dortmund on Sunday for removing his jersey — a yellow-card offence — only so he could reveal a T-shirt with a “Justice for George Floyd” message.
WATCH | Canadian athletes speak against racism:
Borussia Dortmund teammate Achraf Hakimi displayed the same message on a T-shirt after scoring in the same game on Sunday but was not booked because he did not lift his jersey over his head.
Floyd, a handcuffed black man, died on Monday after a white Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin, pressed his knee for several minutes on his neck. Three other officers were also at the scene. Chauvin has been charged with murder and all four were fired.
On Monday, after the Deutscher Fussball-Bund said it was assessing the players’ actions, Cologne forward Anthony Modeste became the latest to make a gesture after scoring against Leipzig. He stood briefly with his right palm facing out and his left palm facing in to display the darker skin on the back of his hand.
Cologne said it was “a clear signal” against racism from Modeste.
WATCH | ESPN’s Howard Bryant reflects on Kaepernick’s preaceful protest:
DFB president Fritz Keller on Monday showed his respect and understanding for McKennie, Thuram, Sancho and Hakimi’s gestures.
“If people are discriminated against on the basis of their skin colour, it is unbearable. If they die because of their skin colour, then I am deeply distraught,” Keller said in a DFB statement. “The victims of racism need all of us to show solidarity.”
The expressions of protest are being investigated by the German soccer federation’s control body.
“As is the case internationally,” federation vice-president Rainer Koch said, “the game itself should remain free of political statements or messages of any kind.”
FIFA’s awareness of the depth of feeling over the racial inequalities highlighted by Floyd’s death comes amid ongoing criticism soccer is not doing enough to eradicate or punish racism.
“FIFA had repeatedly expressed itself to be resolutely against racism and discrimination of any kind and recently strengthened its own disciplinary rules with a view to helping to eradicate such behaviours,” the Zurich-based governing body said. “FIFA itself has promoted many anti-racism campaigns which frequently carry the anti-racism message at matches organised under its own auspices.”
#BlackOutTuesday spreads across social media in protest against George Floyd killing – CBC.ca
Hall of Famer Unseld dead at 74 – TSN
June Pixel Feature Drop: Hands-on with all the new additions [Video] – 9to5Google
- Tech20 hours ago
- Tech16 hours ago
Apple Confirms Serious New Problems For iPad, iPhone Users
- Sports18 hours ago
Judge dismisses Dykstra’s suit against ex-teammate Ron Darling
- Media21 hours ago
U.S. police shoot, tear-gas and arrest press members covering protests
- Science17 hours ago
SpaceX captures the flag, beating Boeing in cosmic contest
- Tech14 hours ago
iOS 13.5.1 and iPadOS 13.5.1 release with ‘important security updates
- Media18 hours ago
Citizens use police tracking apps and social media to expose US attacks on peaceful protesters
- Sports13 hours ago
Jon Jones Has Made Enough Money from Fighting to Retire