Connect with us

Tech

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip factory reportedly closes due to coronavirus infection – CNET

Published

 on


A factory that produces the Galaxy Z Flip was reportedly shut down after an employee of the wireless division that’s in charge of smartphone production tested positive for the pneumonia-like illness.


Patrick Holland/CNET

The spread of the coronavirus is taking a toll on the global technology industry, with companies shuttering stores and offices, limiting travel, and bracing for disruptions to an integrated worldwide supply chain. The disease is apparently starting to have an impact on Samsung’s latest smartphone.

Just weeks after unveiling the Galaxy Z Flip, the Korean electronics giant shuttered a factory over the weekend in South Korea that produces that clamshell-like smartphone, Sammobile reported Sunday. The plant in the city Gumi, South Korea, was shut down after an employee of the wireless division that’s in charge of smartphone production tested positive for the pneumonia-like illness, the site reported.

The factory is expected to reopen Monday, and the shutdown’s impact is expected to be minimal, Sammobile reported.

Samsung didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The novel coronavirus, now called SARS-CoV-2, originated in Wuhan, China, and has so far killed more than 2,000 people and infected over 75,000. Cases have been confirmed in the US, Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Australia.

Coronavirus fears led Facebook to call off a March marketing summit in San Francisco that was expected to draw 4,000 people. In Barcelona, the Mobile World Conference scheduled for earlier in February was also canceled.

Samsung isn’t the only smartphone maker that may be affected by the illness. Apple said earlier this month that it likely will miss the quarterly revenue guidance it gave last month, citing two reasons for the update: The coronavirus is hurting both demand from Chinese customers and production capabilities inside China.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Apple iPhone SE 3 on track for March 2022, claims report – Pocket-lint.com

Published

 on


(Pocket-lint) – The much-rumoured 3rd-gen iPhone SE will reportedly release in the first quarter of 2022 – most likely March.

That’s the opinion of TrendForce, a market research firm in Taiwan, which believes that Apple is keen to get a firmer grip on the “mid-range 5G smartphone” market.

“Apple is staying with the plan to release its 3rd-generation iPhone SE in 1Q22 and four models under a new series in 2H22,” it wrote in its latest report on smartphone production growth.

“The 3rd-generation iPhone SE is expected to be a major instrument in helping Apple establish a presence in the market segment for mid-range 5G smartphones.”

The last iPhone SE was released in April 2020 and is still available today. However, it is now somewhat an oddity in Apple’s line-up, being the only device with older design and a front-facing Touch ID button.

That might not change, as a rumour in October suggested the button could remain. The 4.7-inch Retina HD display was also said to be returning, although a beefier A15 Bionic chip could power the new device.

Another big change will be the addition of 5G, which will make it more attractive as networks rollout 5G coverage more widely. We’ll undoubtedly find out more as spring approaches.



Writing by Rik Henderson. Originally published on 1 December 2021.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Xiaomi 12 series is also "coming soon" with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com

Published

 on


The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip introduced at Qualcomm’s ongoing Snapdragon Tech Summit will power several flagship Android devices next year. Realme has already confirmed that its GT 2 Pro will have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip at the helm, and now Xiaomi’s Founder and CEO, Mr. Lei Jun, has also confirmed the use of Qualcomm’s freshly announced flagship chip on the Xiaomi 12.

Mr. Jun didn’t divulge anything about the Xiaomi 12 but said that the Xiaomi 12 series “will be the world’s first smartphones” to have the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC under the hood.

The CEO didn’t reveal the Xiaomi 12 series’ launch date either, but rumor has it that the smartphone will debut on December 12. And while we are yet to get any confirmation on that, the company’s official Twitter handle posted a short video clip, saying the Xiaomi 12’s mass production has kicked off and it’s “coming soon.”

While Mr. Jun says that the Xiaomi 12 series will be the world’s first to be powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip, that may not be the case since Motorola has announced a December 9 event to unveil the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1-powered Edge X30, unless Xiaomi is already geared up to introduce the Xiaomi 12 before next Thursday.

OnePlus, Oppo, and iQOO have also confirmed to launch Snapdragon 8 Gen 1-powered smartphones without getting into the details. nubia said it will use the new flagship chip on its Z series, while ZTE announced it will launch an Axon series smartphone with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 next year.

You can read our Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 announcement coverage here to learn more about it.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Realme GT 2 Pro will be among the first smartphones to use the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com

Published

 on


Now that Qualcomm has finally made its next-generation flagship chipset official at its event in Hawaii, Realme has something to say too – and that is that the GT 2 Pro will be powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.

It’s hard to imagine a less surprising announcement, but there you have it – it’s official now. Don’t forget, the upcoming GT 2 Pro is going to be Realme’s “first-ever ultra-premium flagship”, rising above the likes of the X50 Pro and previous members in the GT family.

Realme proudly boasts that it will be among the first manufacturers to launch a smartphone with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 mobile platform, an that phone will be the GT 2 Pro. Development of the device has started a few months ago, and this will end up being a “truly high-end flagship product that will exceed the expectations of young users around the world”, according to Realme VP Chase Xu.

The Realme GT 2 Pro with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 at the helm was in fact already spotted at AnTuTu scoring over a million points a few days ago. The phone is expected to have 125W wired charging support, up to 12GB of LPDDR5 RAM, up to 512GB of UFS 3.1 storage, a 6.51″ 120 Hz AMOLED screen, a 32 MP selfie camera, and a 50 MP main rear sensor with OIS.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending