Connect with us

Tech

Samsung likely replace Galaxy S11 with S20 naming scheme

Published

 on

World’s leading smartphone-maker Samsung is reportedly contemplating to restructure the Galaxy S number scheme in 2020.

The new details come from the renowned tipster Ice universe, who claims that Samsung may ditch the Galaxy S11 and jump straight to the S20 series.

Though there is no proof to validate this rumour, we believe this a good tactical move to match the calendar year 2020 and also connects well with the consumer that it is the latest device from the company.

The report comes months after speculation of Samsung planning to merge Galaxy S and Note series into the single line of phones in early 2020 and bring second-generation flexible phone Galaxy Fold later in the year.

This also looks plausible, as the Galaxy Fold does differentiate from the Galaxy S and the Note series. It deserves to have a separate line of its own to attract niche consumers who prefer top-end phones and want to stand out from others in the industry.

For now, we are hearing just the Galaxy S series and there are no details on the Galaxy Note series. So, it is possible that Samsung may merge S and Note series from 2021. And as for 2020 is concerned, the company would release three different phones under S11 (or S20), Note 11 (or 20) and Fold 2 series with the adequate time interval between the launches.

Samsung Galaxy S11 aka S20: What we know so far
Samsung is expected to bring three variants of the Galaxy S– one S11 Plus (6.9-inch), generic S11 (6.7-inch) and a low-end S11e (6.2-inch).

The first two models are expected to come with Quad HD+ super AMOLED with 120Hz display refresh rate. Whereas the S11e may come with full HD+ super AMOLED with a normal 60Hz display refresh rate.

All the upcoming S11 series phones will have near-zero bezel on right and left sides. While the top and the bottom chin will be significantly slim compared to the predecessor.
Inside, Samsung would use the Snapdragon 865, Qualcomm’s latest and most powerful processor to date and if recently leaked performance benchmarking scores are to believe, it is said to match Apple’s A13 Bionic chipset seen in the iPhone 11 series.

The Samsung phones will be powered by Android 10-based One UI 2 and are expected to house LPDDR5 series RAM, which is said to make the device buttery smooth. It will be 20-percent faster and 30-percent power-efficient over the predecessor, which comes with LPDDR4 series RAM.

In terms of photography hardware, the S11 series, at least the S11 Plus and the standard S11 are expected to come with triple camera module– 108MP primary sensor with ultra-wide and dedicated periscope zoom lens– with LED flash and ToF (Time-of-Flight) sensor for the enhanced bokeh blur effect. It will also come with improved night mode, 5X optical zoom and more.

The S11e may come with 64MP primary sensor instead of 108MP on the back and rest is likely to be the same as the other two models. Front camera details of the Galaxy S11 series are yet to be ascertained.

As far as the battery is concerned, the S11 Plus is expected to have 4,100mAh cell, whereas the S11 and the S11e are tipped come with 3,400mAh and 3,100mAh capacities, respectively.

Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Britain in talks with 6 firms about building gigafactories for EV batteries

Published

 on

Britain is in talks with six companies about building gigafactories to produce batteries for electric vehicles (EV), the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people briefed on the discussions.

Car makers Ford Motor Co and Nissan Motor Co Ltd, conglomerates LG Corp and Samsung, and start-ups Britishvolt and InoBat Auto are in talks with the British government or local authorities about locations for potential factories and financial support, the report added .

 

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

Continue Reading

Business

EBay to sell South Korean unit for about $3.6 billion to Shinsegae, Naver

Published

 on

EBay will sell its South Korean business to retailer Shinsegae Group and e-commerce firm Naver for about 4 trillion won ($3.6 billion), local newspapers reported on Wednesday.

EBay Korea is the country’s third-largest e-commerce firm with market share of about 12.8% in 2020, according to Euromonitor. It operates the platforms Gmarket, Auction and G9.

Shinsegae, Naver and eBay Korea declined to comment.

Lotte Shopping had also been in the running, the Korea Economic Daily and other newspapers said, citing unnamed investment banking sources.

South Korea represents the world’s fourth largest e-commerce market. Driven by the coronavirus pandemic, e-commerce has soared to account for 35.8% of the retail market in 2020 compared with 28.6% in 2019, according to Euromonitor data.

Shinsegae and Naver formed a retail and e-commerce partnership in March by taking stakes worth 250 billion won in each other’s affiliates.

($1 = 1,117.7000 won)

 

(Reporting by Joyce Lee; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

Continue Reading

Tech

Canada launches long-awaited auction of 5G spectrum

Published

 on

Canada is set to begin a hotly anticipated auction of the mobile telecommunications bandwidth necessary for 5G rollout, one that was delayed more than a year by the pandemic.

The 3,500 MHz is a spectrum companies need to provide 5G, which requires more bandwidth to expand internet capabilities.The auction, initially scheduled for June 2020, is expected to take several weeks with Canadian government selling off 1,504 licenses in 172 service areas.

Smaller operators are going into the auction complaining that recent regulatory rulings have further tilted the scales in the favour of the country’s three biggest telecoms companies – BCE, Telus and Rogers Communications Inc – which together control around 90% of the market as a share of revenue.

Canadian mobile and internet consumers, meanwhile, have complained for years that their bills are among the world’s steepest. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government has threatened to take action if the providers did not cut bills by 25%.

The last auction of the 600 MHz spectrum raised C$3.5 billion ($2.87 billion) for the government.

The companies have defended themselves, saying the prices they charge are falling.

Some 23 bidders including regional players such as Cogeco and Quebec’s Videotron are participating in the process. Shaw Communications did not apply to participate due to a $16 billion takeover bid from Rogers. Lawmakers and analysts have warned that market concentration will intensify if that acquisition proceeds.

In May, after Canada‘s telecoms regulator issued a ruling largely in favour of the big three on pricing for smaller companies’ access to broadband networks, internet service provider TekSavvy Inc withdrew from the auction, citing the decision.

Some experts say the government has been trying to level the playing field with its decision to set aside a proportion of spectrum in certain areas for smaller companies.

Gregory Taylor, a spectrum expert and associate professor at the University of Calgary, said he was pleased the government was auctioning off smaller geographic areas of coverage.

In previous auctions where the license covered whole provinces, “small providers could not participate because they could not hope to cover the range that was required in the license,” Taylor said.

Smaller geographic areas mean they have a better chance of fulfilling the requirements for the license, such as providing service to 90% of the population within five years of the issuance date.

The auction has no scheduled end date, although the federal ministry in charge of the spectrum auction has said winners would be announced within five days of bidding completion.

($1 = 1.2181 Canadian dollars)

 

(Reporting by Moira Warburton in Vancouver; Editing by David Gregorio)

Continue Reading

Trending