Ottawa Public Health (OPH) is reporting that seven COVID-19 deaths, all in a single day, were all in long-term care or retirment homes.
Ottawa’s total number of coronavirus-related deaths shot to 21 on Friday, and now the health agency is giving more details.
The city’s health authority reported the jump between Thursday and Friday, while also reporting a total of 728 lab-confirmed cases (50 newly reported between Thursday and Friday).
OPH says this is likely due to an increase in testing and possibly expanding testing recommendations.
“This number is the largest recorded number of deaths in Ottawa in one day since the beginning of this emergency response,” a statement on OPH’s website said. “All seven deaths are related to outbreaks in long-term care and retirement homes. Fifty-seven percent (12/21) of all deaths due to COVID-19 in Ottawa are related to outbreaks in long-term care and retirement homes.”
It added, “OPH continues to work with health care partners to ensure long-term care and retirement homes are a top priority for protection.”
According to OPH numbers, 42 per cent of confirmed cases in Ottawa have been resolved. The number of hospitalizations sit at 37 per cent and ICU at 13 per cent.
“There would be more cases of COVID-19 in our community had everyone not done their part over the past month,” OPH said. “Please keep up this hard work over the next stretch of time. Thank you again for all the actions you are taking as a community – these actions are saving lives.”
Ottawa’s recent weekend numbers are not yet availalbe, however, as of 4 p.m. Friday, Ontario is reporting a total number of 9,525 cases with 4,556 resolved. The number of deceased stands at 478. So far 136,992 tests have been completed. The number of hospitalized patients is 829, with 245 in ICU. The number of patients in ICU on a ventilator with COVID-19 are 200 (that means less than three per cent of cases in Ontario are in ICU on a ventilator).
There are 106 outbreaks in long-term care homes across the province, 20 of which are in Ottawa, according to OPH.
- Carlingview Manor (Facility Wide)
- Cité Parkway (Facility Wide)
- Garden Terrace (Facility Wide)
- Madonna Care Community (Facility Wide)
- Manoir Marochel (Facility Wide)
- Maplewood Retiremenet Community (Facility Wide)
- Montfort Hospital (ICU)
- Montfort Hospital (Ancilliary staff)
- Montfort Hospital (3C)
- Montfort Long-Term Care Centre (Facility Wide)
- Park Place (Facility Wide)
- Perley Rideau Veterans Health Centre Ottawa building)
- Promenade (Facility Wide)
- Settler’s Ridge OCAPDD (Facility Wide)
- Starwood (Facility Wide)
- The Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus (A Five B Five, AMA)
- The Ottawa Hospital General Campus (5 West / BMT)
- Villa Marconi (Facility Wide)
- Waterford Retirement (Facility Wide)
Just over 55 per cent of cases are in the GTA.
What's open Ottawa: H&M reopens Rideau Street store | CTV News – CTV News
Malls remain closed in the capital, under provincial orders, but stores with street entrances are allowed to reopen, and that means a popular fashion brand has reopened one of its stores in Ottawa.
H&M announced Thursday that its store at the Rideau Centre would reopen via its Rideau Street entrance.
Only 15 people will be allowed in the store at one time. The hours are to 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
There are markers on the floor for physical distancing. Fitting rooms have been closed and there is no garment recycling program for now.
Hand sanitizer is being provided.
While the store accepts cash, they are encouraging card use. There is one line for cash users and one line for card users at the registers.
Employees will be wearing masks, and will be behind barriers at the register. The store will be cleaned more often.
H&M will still accept returns, but says it will hold all returned items for at least 24 hours before putting them back on the sales floor.
B.C. health officials say quick steps taken to help protect care homes – Prince George Citizen
VICTORIA — The deaths of two more COVID-19 patients at long-term care homes in B.C. were mourned by provincial health officials Thursday, but they said lives may have been saved by the province’s quick response to the pandemic.
Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said measures to fight COVID-19 possibly contributed to holding the number of deaths to less than 100 at long-term care homes while other provinces recorded thousands of fatalities.
“We don’t know the specific impact of the measures, but we know the large measures that have been taken have had positive effect,” Dix said at a news conference.
He said B.C. ensured workers were able to be employed at a single care home, personal protective equipment was made available to workers, special health teams were brought in at the first signs of COVID-19 and visits were restricted at the homes.
“I think that B.C., though, can be proud of its long-term care workers,” said Dix. “We’ve adopted from the beginning a team B.C. approach to how we deal with this issue. I am, of course, saddened that we’ve lost 93 people, residents who live in long-term care.”
B.C. reported nine new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the provincial total to 2,558 people diagnosed with the virus. The total number of COVID-19 deaths stood at 164 people and 2,153 people have recovered from the disease.
Henry said efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 in long-term care homes is difficult but the province has been applying the many lessons it learned in an early outbreak at North Vancouver’s Lynn Valley Care Centre.
She said it was difficult to estimate how effective B.C.’s prevention measures were at the homes.
“We can only by analogy look at what happens in other places,” Henry said.
Thousands of residents at long-term care facilities in Quebec and Ontario have died of COVID-19.
Meanwhile, specialized health teams have been sent to fight COVID-19 outbreaks at two Metro Vancouver long-term care homes.
The Fraser Health Authority appointed a pandemic response director on Thursday at Langley Lodge, where more than 20 people have died from the virus in recent weeks.
It also sent extra staff to Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam after one resident tested positive Wednesday for COVID-19, said Dr. Martin Lavoie, Fraser Health’s chief medical health officer. The resident was placed in isolation at the lodge, he said.
“Over the past several weeks we’ve been supporting and offering guidance to Langley Lodge in different ways,” Lavoie said at a news conference.
“Today, we’re talking further action and we have appointed our own director of pandemic response to provide oversight of the COVID-19 response at Langley Lodge and also to further support the facility leadership and staff.”
The lodge website says it is a not-for-profit registered charity run by the Langley Care Society.
It says the lodge in Langley provides long-term care for adults who can no longer live safely or independently at home because of their health-care needs. The lodge includes 121 funded spaces and 14 private pay spaces.
An official at the lodge referred questions about the COVID-19 outbreak to Fraser Health.
Lavoie said the COVID-19 outbreak at the lodge has been difficult to control.
“It is our hope that these additional measures will support the site in controlling this complex outbreak,” he said. “We’re taking all the necessary steps to minimize the exposure to and transmission of COVID-19.”
Lavoie said extra nurses and staff are being called in along with infection control specialists who will use a specialized ultraviolet germ sterilization machine.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 28, 2020.
COVID-19 case identified at second Port Coquitlam seniors home – The Record (New Westminster)
A resident at a Port Coquitlam long-term care facility has tested positive for COVID-19, marking the third seniors care home in the Tri-Cities with at least one case of the coronavirus.
Fraser Health identified the case at Nicola Lodge Wednesday, May 27, and the resident has been put into isolation at the facility.
“This facility outbreak is a recent one. We’re still looking into it,” said Fraser Health’s top doctor, Dr. Martin Lavoie.
Fraser Health does not currently know how the virus entered the facility.
Lavoie added that Fraser Health is in the process of investigating whether anyone has been in contact with the infected resident. Meanwhile, Fraser Health SWAT teams have implemented “enhanced control measures.”
The case marks a third flare up of the novel coronavirus in a Tri-City care home and the only active case in such a facility after the Shaughnessy and Dufferin care homes had their outbreaks declared over in recent weeks.
Nicola Lodge also marks the 17th seniors homes run by Sienna Living that has identified at least one case of COVID-19, according to a tally on their website. Most are in Ontario, including the Altamont Care Community in Scarborough, one of five seniors homes singled out in a recent report by the Canadian Armed Forces, which had been sent in to aid staff.
The report, released Tuesday, details “horrific” allegations of insect infestations, aggressive resident feeding that caused choking, bleeding infections, and residents crying for help for hours across the five facilities.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford called it “the most heart-wrenching report” he’s ever read in his life, according to a report by the Canadian Press.
At Sienna Living’s Altamont Care Community, the report detailed several allegations of neglect, including residents not receiving three-meals a day, bed sores worn through ligament and tissue to the bone and dangerous errors in administering medication.
The military said it brought in its own food to make sure residents were fed.
— with files from the Canadian Press
p.p1 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva; min-height: 17.0px
p.p2 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva
What is Section 230, the U.S. law protecting social media companies – and can Trump change it? – National Post
GMs Strongly Prefer Play-In Tournament Over Group Stage Concept – RealGM.com
What's open Ottawa: H&M reopens Rideau Street store | CTV News – CTV News
- Sports24 hours ago
How Street Fighter helped lay the foundations for the esports boom
- Investment21 hours ago
Westwater Resources to Present at the 121 Mining Investment Online Americas Conference on June 2-4, 2020 – Financial Post
- Science9 hours ago
Tesla’s Musk earns $770M in stock options, company confirms
- Media2 hours ago
Creators of 6ixBuzz possibly doxed via social media – insauga.com
- Health9 hours ago
Three New COVID-19 Cases In Campbellton Region
- Media9 hours ago
Donald Trump justify his social media crackdown
- Real eState24 hours ago
The State of Canada Real Estate
- Sports14 hours ago
Bruins win Presidents' Trophy for 2019-20 season – NHL.com